The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Beatrice is not out of college...I believe she is scheduled to graduate this spring.

Eugenie being in trouble at school is being reported by the Daily Mail...not the most reliable of sources.I am not sure I get your reference of her running around campus with books...isn't that what one is supposed to do when in college? Have books....study books?

You are still missing the point about the age. No one said they weren't adults or young adults...the point is....people are making a statement about them being lazy royals. I agree that they should remember all times that they are Princesses and act accordingly (but than would they get the same criticism that their late Aunt Margaret and father get?). My point is that at the same age (20 and 22) their cousins William and Harry, and their uncles Charles and Edward were doign the same thing...not performing royal engagements unless they were with their parents.

I would agree that they have a questionable taste in clothes but let's not forget some of the things that their cousins have worn or done. Hello magazine anyone?

IMO if anyone is going to make a claim about someone...it should be based on reputable sources over a significant period of time. Quoting the Daily Mail (which seems to have an axe to grind with anyone with money, social class or both) as well as making unjust comparisons is just that unjust. Some friend says that Eugenie is in danger of flunking out. Wow...what a friend. It sounds very dubious to me....if you are so sure of your facts...why not let your name be printed. How do you know this? Are you a friend hanging out with Eugenie? Or you a professor? Isn't publishing grades a privacy issue? I am very interested to see how the DM came by this story...what are the sources?

Its one thing to say that Andrew, Laurent and/or Fred are lazy. I disagree to an extent but I agree that there are positive and negative points that would give off a good debate. But Beatrice and Eugenie? Its too soon to say.

Now if Eugenie and Beatrice are 25/27 and are finished with school, working or not working real jobs, or not peforming any duties AT ALL and still hanging out...than its a fair statement to say that they are lazy royals.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Gentry

Ok, now I get it. And I agree, it might be too soon to say if Eugenie and Beatrice are lazy. But they do need to improve their image with the public.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

Agree with you fully Zonk. I think it's too soon to entirely judge some of the younger Royals (those in full time education etc). If when they've finished with their education & they still haven't either got a full time "normal" job or aren't doing royal duties of any sort then yeah judge them then but right now when effectively they are busy being a student (which includes all the social aspects in my opinion, part of being a student is having the freedom/opportunity to meet new people, hang out, party a little - hopefully not too much! - while also obtaining your qualifications) I think it's a little harsh.

Also you perhaps could argue that some of the younger Royals effectively aren't needed for royal duties just yet as there are still many of the older generations perfectly willing & able to perform more than enough to allow the younger royals more time as non-working royals. So saying that by so&so's age Charles, Anne, Andrew etc had done this, this & that is maybe not the best comparison, times have changed, circumstances have changed & the way the royals are brought up into adulthood & working life has changed.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

I would agree. Its worth noting that the youngest person to join the BRF in full time royal duties I believe was Princess Alexandra of Kent. She started fairly young around 18 to 21 and she attended finishing school but that was about it. At that time the BRF had the Queen, DoE, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, the Gloucesters (the late Henry and Alice) and Marina, Duchess of Kent. So there was a shortage of people. The BRF today has about a good 15 to 20 people..to handle the engagements.

Of course this is changing now as a large percentage of duties are being done by people in their mid fifties and up (Anne, Andrew, Charles, the Queen and DoE, the Duke of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra.). At some point, the younger generation will have to step it up to prove their worth.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Why should Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene step up? They will become a part of the extended royal family after Prince Charles downsizes. I believe both ladies should fully concentrate on their careers and carry occasional engagements.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I said younger generation. I did not specify Beatrice and Eugenie. At some point, William, Harry and Kate are going to need to step it up.

But its worth noting that the royals that I did mention average about 1000 plus engagements a year. Who are going to do those engagements? The reality/television/movie star of the moment who is hot for about 15 minutes? Charles, Camilla, Harry, William and Kate? They can't do all of those by themselves. Charles and/or William will need some assistance from Anne, Edward, Sophie, Andrew and Harry's wife. And possibly Beatrice and Eugenie. Even if they only do a 100 a year that would be helpful.

And for all this talk of Charles downsizing the monarchy, Charles isn't going to downaize the BRF.. Natural life will do that. The HRH and responsibliites of the Gloucesters and Kents will die with them. As they will with Beatrice and Eugenie. Beatrice and Eugenie will most likely pick up some of the slack from the Gloucesters and Kents.

But that's the topic of another thread.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Gentry

But if they stop step up in the future how will they going to justify their cost. They have full time security with them. They don't have jobs, so Andrew must pay for their education and well being, as well as clothes (expensive ones that is). So after they are done with college they should either start working as royals or get a job that pays the bills. Otherwise they will be nothing but free loaders.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

But who is the laziest royal now?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

It would serve them much better to find well-paying jobs with very occasional official engagements.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

It would serve them much better to find well-paying jobs with very occasional official engagements.
That would be the ideal match IMO, but its probably best we discuss that here Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie . If of course, they actually needed to work for money or because they would like to do something meaningful, goodness know what their trust funds are like.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But who is the laziest royal now?
I don't know...
My first thought was Beatrice and Eugenie, but I agree with you, is too soon to tell.
Again, I'm talking about the British Royal family.
I know Andrew works a lot, despite the rumors
Edward and Sophie I don't see them as much in the media, But I don't think they are lazy.
Anne does a lot of work to help children
Zara has a carrer of her own
Peter, I don't know much about him, so I can't say he's lazy. I guess he must have a job aswell...
Who do you think is the laziest?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I don't think there is anyone in the BRF who is lazy. Peter and Zara are private individuals hence the lack of royal duties. Their grandmother just happens to be Queen.

Without a doubt the Queen, the DoE, Charles and Anne pull their weight IMO.

I think Edward and Sophie don't get the credit that deserve. Along with the Gloucesters. Andrew ....on the fence about him. I think he does good work, has bad judgement, and is forever tied to Fergie...hence the bad press. Same with their daughters.

Honestly, I think Camilla doesn't do enough engagements. But I wouldn't call her lazy. She is making a late adjustment in life from private individual who really never worked outside of the home to a member of the BRF with all the expectations, glory and nastiness from the press and the public. But she isn't lazy.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Gentry

I like Prince Andrew, despide not being a big fan of his daughters and of course, his ex-wife. He's not perfect and has made some mistakes, I do agree that his assossiation with Fergie brings him a lot of unfair bad press.
And I think he works hard.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
... [snipped] Honestly, I think Camilla doesn't do enough engagements. But I wouldn't call her lazy. She is making a late adjustment in life from private individual who really never worked outside of the home to a member of the BRF with all the expectations, glory and nastiness from the press and the public. But she isn't lazy.
How long would it take to make the adjustments? It has been my understanding that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, may have health issues. She has got fewer public appearances. Do the British miss her much? Furthermore, Prince Charles has means to provide for his current wife. She can sit at home.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow..I wouldn't describe ANY of them as "lazy". I cannot imagine having to go out and put on your GAME face constantly no matter if you felt ill, or cranky etc.

I haven't heard rumblings that any of the members of "The Firm" have ever out and out refused to do their duty in favor of a night in front of the telly with a snack.

Even the ones I don't particularly care for seem very conscientous to me!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

If we were to compare the current group of adult heirs to the throne it appears that CP Frederik has the easiest schedule. (The Crown Princes of Morocco and Jordan are still too young to be included with the others.)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
They have an equally good excuse...they are in university. As previously pointed out by iluvbertie in a couple of the Beatrice/Eugenie threads....both Harry and William were not expected to perform royal engagements at the age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now. Beatrice and Eugenie show up at the "big events" but that is about it.

I agree, they are both busy with school. Like William when he was at St. Andrews it has been expected she not be busy with royal activities. She will graduate this year from University with a degree in history. But she has been involved in a number of children's charities, with her mother. She visited AIDS kids in Russia, the cancer trust, and also a long time volunteer with Springboard for kids, a charity to help kids with learning disabilities. She is the first royal to complete the London marathon, raising money for charity. She even has some work experience, she spent a summer working at Selfridge's, and was involved on the set of 'Young Victoria'. She has said when she is done school she would like to start a fashion line, but would also like to continue to work with children's charities. I could see her perhaps working with Kate, on some of the kids' charities that Kate and Will are donating too for their wedding. But I'd like to see her pursue a career, like Peter and Zara, and help out in charities on the side.

Princess Eugenie's plans are a bit less clear, but then again she is only 21. She is studying for a BA in politics, english and art history at Newcastle University. Like her sister she takes part in major royal events, like representing their dad at the thanksgiving for Diana. For now her only other engagements have been in conjunction with her mother, which is pretty customary for someone at this age in the BRF. Like her sister I can see her having a career, with royal duties on the side, in what it isn't clear.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Serene Highness

Great post and update on the two princesses, PrincessMolly, thank you.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Im not going to say Marie Chantel is lazy but,even though the greek monarchy does not exist,she should be gratefull for the title as a crown princess.She should do what other CPs do and do more charity work as much as them.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Carl-Phillip: no official duties (as far I see) but only busy with his current gilfriend and car races.