The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think its all about expectation. If the Danes are happy with Frederik with all his strenghts and weaknesses than fine. It remains to be seen whether the Danes are still happy with Frederiks attitude as monarch where he has to step up a few gears.

What I want to say is that "working hard" doesnt guarantee survival of the institution. It has a lot to do with charisma and individual perception.

While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.

Frederik in contrast is much liked by the Danes probably because of being "imperfect" but with a folksy attitude bonding with the public, plus with a wife who is welcome to overshadow and publicly help him to overcome his deficites.

Therefore comparisons always have to be seen with the local background. What works in one country, could be counterproductive in another.
I'm so tired of reading in every royal board so many foreign experts on Spanish culture and sexism.

Re: the republican movement in Spain, in the same poll that stated 86% of Spaniards thought Felipe was ready to reign(published in May, it's very recent), a 69% of voters of the most leftist, republican party considered that Felipe would have the social support to become King when the time comes.
Divided on age groups:
78% of Spaniards under 35 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.
83% of Spaniards 35-55 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.
74% of Spaniards over 55 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Just to clarify on the poll you are referring to - while a vast majority thinks that Felipe is prepared to reign, the support for the institution itself is on decline.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll
The report was drawn up between September 24 and November 5 of last year with 5,000 people questioned. It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
We already have a handsome, actively working and charismatic CP. Wouldn't you like that?
??? He is probably handsome and nice, sorry I don't see actively working nor charisma of the leader of a nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Just to clarify on the poll you are referring to - while a vast majority thinks that Felipe is prepared to reign, the support for the institution itself is on decline.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll
The report was drawn up between September 24 and November 5 of last year with 5,000 people questioned. It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.
Monarchy is still among one of the most valued institutions in Spain under the economic cisis. The government rating is probably less than 30% with a very unpopular PM (not all his own fault actually IMO since it took a couple of generations to have today's bad economy).
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Courtier

Please don't get me wrong here...but I have question as some referred to Denmark as a small country and that compared to this the Crown Prince actualy has a busy schedule...does this mean that it is not common in Denmark to work 40 hours a week?

Although I love love love Mette-Marit, I unfortunately have to admit that she was very very lazy lately. Don't know why...as I think that she chosed her engagaments very wisely so far and I admired her work very much.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Please don't get me wrong here...but I have question as some referred to Denmark as a small country and that compared to this the Crown Prince actualy has a busy schedule...does this mean that it is not common in Denmark to work 40 hours a week?
37 hours a week is the usual standard according to the agreements, as specified by the employers organisations and unions.
That means you get your normal basic salary (day salary) for 37 hours. Everything else is overtime and the salary is higher or you get proportional freetime instead.
In reality it's very common to clock in a couple of hours more a week.
And so is flex-time, so it can vary a lot.

Some people work "half time" i.e. 30-32 hours.

The reference to DK being a small country, has nothing to do with the DRF workload, only that the population is so small that the "saturation point" of the DRF, is lower in DK than in countries with a larger population.
To use a very rough (and actually somewhat meaningless) comparison: If DK had the population of France, about 65 million, the DRF should take on eleven times as many engagements as now to reach the same level of "saturation" as in DK.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
37 hours a week is the usual standard according to the agreements, as specified by the employers organisations and unions.
That means you get your normal basic salary (day salary) for 37 hours. Everything else is overtime and the salary is higher or you get proportional freetime instead.
In reality it's very common to clock in a couple of hours more a week.
And so is flex-time, so it can vary a lot.

Some people work "half time" i.e. 30-32 hours.

The reference to DK being a small country, has nothing to do with the DRF workload, only that the population is so small that the "saturation point" of the DRF, is lower in DK than in countries with a larger population.
To use a very rough (and actually somewhat meaningless) comparison: If DK had the population of France, about 65 million, the DRF should take on eleven times as many engagements as now to reach the same level of "saturation" as in DK.
Thank you Muhler
Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

IMO, I can compare Felipe with Frederick because they can't be compared. One is very hard working, wants to be prepared for the future role of the Head of State, he is beginning to be listen by the more and more world leaders and thanks to his wife is more warm and close to the people. And this is Felipe. And one likes sports and from timne to time "work". And this is Frederick.
Yes it is more likely for Spain to became a republic in the future (will see) than Denmark, but for their future Head of State, Felipe is much more prepared than Frederick.
And not only Felipe, it is Willem-Alexander, Haakon, who gain credibility like future Kings and I can say evan GUillome of Luxembourg and Philippe of Belgium (with the best help of his amazing wife).
I'm sorry to say but from all, Frederick seem to me the less prepare for his job.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't really say that any of the royals are lazy as I only hear & see them when they're out in public. And different countries have different needs. Charles, Felipe, Fred, WM, Haakon, Victoria, Philippe & Guillaume do things according to their respective countries needs/wants.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

4Parn you are right. It is all a bunch of nonsense. The ribbon cutting and attending venues that you could care less about, is not as noble as the "Big Sell".
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

Duchess Catherine
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemonaco View Post
Duchess Catherine
oh come on.. she is married not even 2 months...give her time to breath before she starts her new royal duties.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Duchess Catherine
I do not agree,even not all royals apparently performing their duties take it seriously
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Duchess Catherine

It may be a good idea to let someone of non royal blood be married for six months to a year, so that they are familiar and comfortable in their role before we start calling them lazy.

She hasn't been married for two months.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Nobility

Going back a few post's, I fail to see how the size or population of a country relates to the amount of royal duties performed. Every country has a certain amount of people in need, eg. medical probs, hunger, poverty. The scope for a royal to display altruism is almost endless, thus they could probably find a cause for every day of the week, if so desired. IMO
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Kate was precieved as lazy before her engagment.People were wondering what she did besides dating the prince.I don't call her lazy because she just got married and she's not the Princess of Wales yet.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Nobility

ilovemonaco: dont you know many princesses who just two months after their wedding had so many public outings or engagements: tour of a country, canada, for 10 days and 3 days in USA?

And be prepared for that in performing charming outings to get used to be amoung crowds and so small talks to people for accoutumance: Epsom, Trooping the colour, the ARK Gala tomorrow night, the Order of the Garter, attending the polo match for sentabele with william and harry.

Of course these events are not so hard to perform, but this is part of what all royal families have to do. I think her agenda is full for a just newly wed.

And with your name I think you are fan of the Monaco family. What did Charlene performs so hard?

Oh yes I know: choose her clothes on differents catalogues (Armani and Dior), do many many many photos shoots, and not smile during her numerous appareance at galas and galas. Very hard life for the Grimaldis
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Going back a few post's, I fail to see how the size or population of a country relates to the amount of royal duties performed. Every country has a certain amount of people in need, eg. medical probs, hunger, poverty. The scope for a royal to display altruism is almost endless, thus they could probably find a cause for every day of the week, if so desired. IMO

Well said, greenways...I was starting to think the same...that is mainly why I asked the working hours in Denmark. For me ultimately a small country does not necessarily mean less work..This arguement of some posters doesn't work for me as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well said, greenways...I was starting to think the same...that is mainly why I asked the working hours in Denmark. For me ultimately a small country does not necessarily mean less work..This arguement of some posters doesn't work for me as well.
I see I failed to make my point clear enough.

There is a limit to how many engagements a royal family can attend in a small country, compared to a large country, before it stops being an event.
If the royals are seen here there and everywhere all the time they seize to be interesting.
Let's leave two or three ribbons for the politicians to cut, shall we?
As for altruism. Well, speaking for the DRF, there do have a number of associations, foundations, patronacies (spll?) and so on which are beneficial and charitable. Most are in fact.
I don't think we can expect say QMII getting up every morning at 04.00 in order to prepare breakfast at the local retirement home.

In my opinion this can be compared with me walking into the office of my boss and saying: "Hey, unless you are going on business travels, attending business conferences and having meeting with clients and suppliers, you are not working".
I think it would be a pretty good idea if I left the door open and strapped a pillow to my behind! - That way it won't hurt so much when I get kicked out...
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Aristocracy

Very well said Muhler.

There is one more aspect to think about. What is with the hosts? Don't they need time and sometimes money to prepare the visit of the royals? Would it be appropriate for the royals to use up so much resources quite often to just show up? Especially in a small country?

To me there is a huge difference in working or not and in an endless stream of public appearances. Of course the public engagements can be easily counted.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
-----
Although I love love love Mette-Marit, I unfortunately have to admit that she was very very lazy lately. Don't know why...as I think that she chosed her engagaments very wisely so far and I admired her work very much.
What I read and understood is Mette-Marit is studying. Just because someone isn't in the public doesn't necessarily mean he or she is lazy. Probably the person in question has other priorities and doesn't think it's needed to show up all the time in public.