The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
Because I have friends and RELATIVES within Denmark and NONE of them care about the DRF to the point that they observe what they do or visit forums about them. They like the royals but they do not consider them something interesting or something they will follow and read about everyday. When something like a birth in the DRF happens they are happy but life goes on. The DRF are there in the background and not something that most people really notice. It's also pretty clear considering we don't exactly live in the 1900's. The monarchy simply doesn't appeal to the majority of the younger generation.
If the Danes don't observe or notice their royals why should they work more. (just kidding)
Actually I don't agree with you. The DRF is certainly noticed. And it's my impression that the Danes, even the younger ones, care quite a lot for their monarchy.
The average Dane may not watch the royal calendar but the media certainly does. And whenever they think the royals don't work enough for the money they get they will say so. And the average Dane can see the royals on TV quite often and read about them in newspapers and mags. And meet them in real life. They don't need messageboards to get informations.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Aristocracy

Fair enough :) I don't want to keep arguing. Like I said I like both Frederik and Mary so I am not out to bash them which I was doing to Frederik there but it's my opinion.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Just wondering how you want to know that most Danes are not Royal Watchers? Because they are not what you define as a Royal Watcher?
How is it obvious that most Danes do not take a great interest in the DRF? Especially considering that you are in Canada? How do you know what young Danes think is cool?

The majority if not all? You must have seen a different calendar:

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender - Afholdte begivenheder
Actually from what I see in this calender...Fred's diary is indeed not very busy...hopefully this is the case because he is on paternity leave due to the birth of his twins which could be an excuse...but I am not sure...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

Oh that's actually an improvement from his usual workload. Lately (since May) he's been doing quite more than before. But his calender before that and in 2010 is scary for a future king. I suppose it doesn't matter tho.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh that's actually an improvement from his usual workload. Lately (since May) he's been doing quite more than before. But his calender before that and in 2010 is scary for a future king. I suppose it doesn't matter tho.
This is scary indeed. And some of his engagements are sports related - that is true. Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong about it and I am sure he is doing a good job there (hopefully) but I would expect a little more from a future king than to be mostly engaged in sports events...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

That is what I have been saying for the past 2 pages. Even if you go back to 2010 and some of 2009 the majority of his duties are sports related. Again...nothing wrong but there has to be balance between what his interest is (sports) and actual duties that a future king should be doing.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stop. Who cares who does what. None of them do anything of importance. Frederick is a sportsman and, Danes, admire that. Charles is a pedantic fop, who has a retinue who do his little petty bidding for him and gives speeches on things he believes in. He is an organic gardener, although, I don't think he plows fields or, atcually, soils his hands. They have a life set above having to, actually, earn a living, so they do what pleases them. Frederick is far more fun than Charles, I believe.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Ok sorry my bad. I just checked the DRF calender for the months I talked about (before May 2011, since I have to be very specific).
So let's go to May 2010...he went sailing in the Fyn Cup, he rode a horse in a non-hunt, he went to an ISAF (sailing) conference, went to a concert for the Danish Royal Lifeguards, and handed out some money. Nice. Compare that to whatever the other heirs are doing.
I wouldn't consider these events as "not working" if it wasn't all he did.
Then be specific. Your details are wrong. Neither the sailing nor the non-hunt nor the ISAF conference are listed in the official calendar May 2010. I guess you mention them to prove that sport events is all he does. But actually none of the official engagements in May 2010 was sport related. Neither in January nor in March, April, May, June, August, September, October, November or December 2010 was "the majority if not all" of Frederik's official engagements sport-related, as you insist. Sport and healthy lifestyle is one of his focus areas but there actually is a balance.

And again, there is no point in comparing Frederik with heirs of other countries. Compared with other monarchs Queen Margrethe's agenda is empty, compared with other crown princesses Mary's agenda is empty.
The DRF has to do things according to their (small) country and people (5.4 mill.). In the last 7 years DK usually had 1 incoming state visit per year (only in 2007 there were 2). Compare that with other countries.
And I have often heard that in Denmark there is actually a greater danger of people having a royal overkill than of the royals being accused of not working enough.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

I haven't seen Mette-Marit around much this year.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Then be specific. Your details are wrong. Neither the sailing nor the non-hunt nor the ISAF conference are listed in the official calendar May 2010. I guess you mention them to prove that sport events is all he does. But actually none of the official engagements in May 2010 was sport related. Neither in January nor in March, April, May, June, August, September, October, November or December 2010 was "the majority if not all" of Frederik's official engagements sport-related, as you insist. Sport and healthy lifestyle is one of his focus areas but there actually is a balance.

And again, there is no point in comparing Frederik with heirs of other countries. Compared with other monarchs Queen Margrethe's agenda is empty, compared with other crown princesses Mary's agenda is empty.
The DRF has to do things according to their (small) country and people (5.4 mill.). In the last 7 years DK usually had 1 incoming state visit per year (only in 2007 there were 2). Compare that with other countries.
And I have often heard that in Denmark there is actually a greater danger of people having a royal overkill than of the royals being accused of not working enough.
If you say so. I don't want to waste anymore time arguing with someone that can't even see the obvious because of their tunnel-vision. You cannot be serious in saying that CP Frederik is actually hardworking....I mean honestly. His name has come up in this thread more than once and it appears that as soon as it does you and another individual bash whoever brought it up. I don't consider it balance if I look at this calender on any given month and see 4 or 5 (on a good month) sporting events as "work" and 1 event where he shows up and hands out a check or watches a play.

Anyways. I am sure CP Frederik is utterly exhausted from all his hard work.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That is what I have been saying for the past 2 pages. Even if you go back to 2010 and some of 2009 the majority of his duties are sports related. Again...nothing wrong but there has to be balance between what his interest is (sports) and actual duties that a future king should be doing.

I agree with your statements regarding CP Frederik. IMO it would be best if his preparation for his future role was a more balanced one with more of an emphasis upon diplomacy, the military, trade, and less on sports. Let's hope with an increased number of duties in his calendar that we'll see greater variety to help prepare him for the future.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Serene Highness

The laziest crown prince: Frederick of Denmark, and the laziest crown princess, Mette-Marit.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
If you say so. I don't want to waste anymore time arguing with someone that can't even see the obvious because of their tunnel-vision. You cannot be serious in saying that CP Frederik is actually hardworking....I mean honestly. His name has come up in this thread more than once and it appears that as soon as it does you and another individual bash whoever brought it up. I don't consider it balance if I look at this calender on any given month and see 4 or 5 (on a good month) sporting events as "work" and 1 event where he shows up and hands out a check or watches a play.
I actually never said he is hard working. I said he works according to what is normal in the DRF.
I don't bash you, I am contradicting you. I am checking facts and I don't see what you claim to see.
But yes, let's stop arguing.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not trying to change anyone's perception of which royal is 'lazy' or not. My personal opinion is that the idea of who is 'lazy' is mostly formed by other factors.

But when reading all these opinions about Frederik's interest in sports and sports related activities, I think it's a pity that the discussion does not touch upon the recognition which Frederik's interest has also gained in Denmark. Frederik has visited a number of schools - also in Greenland - which have initiated new measures to make young people aware of the importance of exercise, also as a means to fight the ever-growing problem of obesity. Frederik seems to be making himself a niche as a sort of 'spokesperson' for the endeavour to fight obesity amongst children by means of more daily exercise. This may seem trivial to some, to me it's not - and perhaps Frederik's focus is of more 'measureable' benefit to more Danes than the queen's focus on art and handicrafts?
The Danes have not minded Queen Margrethe's interest in attending church ceremonies to see her own personal handicraft for churches of bishops revealed; attending lots of painting exhibitions of her own and other's paintings. That's her area of interest and of course she should be allowed to pursue it. But the sporting world, professional and amateur, have never enjoyed royal patronage in any form before and it's great that it does now - not least because the attention Frederik brings to this area extends to public health - the declining amount of exercise for children in schools and obesity.
And it is not like Frederik has abandoned the art world ín favour of sport; he and Mary have both shown lots of interest in modern art, most recently in the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition which they have been credited for bringing to Denmark. With Frederik we will just not get a regent whose main interest is the art world.

Is the royal calendar a truthful indicator for what a royal really does? As I recall, Frederik's visits to the Danish troops in the Helmand province, for example, have never appeared in the calendar - nor did his recent visit this spring with his mother. Did their joint recent visit to Greenland appear there? Just seems to me that we can read about royal activities in the magazines here which do not appear in the official calender.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Looking at the calender and Frederik's appearances the last month or so I'd say he's been fairly busy.
That is, after what is considered normal in Denmark.
As one of you pointed out, DK is a small country with 5.4 million inhabitants, if the DRF is too often in the news, they "devaluate" themselves so to speak.

Frederik has stepped up his public appearances lately and he is also seen dealing with much more varied topics. That's great, that's what I like to see and I hope he will continue on this level. I find there is every reason that he should.
I, and I think most Danes, would find it perfectly acceptable if QMII, considering her age, went on semi-retirement, just like Prince Henrik.
In that respect it's natural for Frederik and Mary (few critizise her workload though) to take over more and more. That's what I see happening in these years, a gradual but clear transition.

As for his focus on sports. Well, in Frederik's defence I'd say it goes a little wider than this. The point is to encourage and put awareness on the importance on physical activity, fighting obecity among children in particular and healthy living. - Admittedly it's sometimes a little unclear what relevance racing with an expensive boat has to ordinary people. Running and biking has however.
The problem with Frederik and sports however, is that his message hasn't hit through yet. Everybody knows what he stands for in that respect, it just hasn't hit the headlines in the same way as Mary's anti-bullying and beware of the sun campaign. That's a PR problem and that's perhaps Frederik's main problem.
Just as Mary initially was critizised for focusing too much on fashion (actually a very important export) Frederik has probably concentrated too much on his favourite field, sports and physical activity.
Because in this day an age it is important for royals to be seen out and about. We'll see.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think its all about expectation. If the Danes are happy with Frederik with all his strenghts and weaknesses than fine. It remains to be seen whether the Danes are still happy with Frederiks attitude as monarch where he has to step up a few gears.

What I want to say is that "working hard" doesnt guarantee survival of the institution. It has a lot to do with charisma and individual perception.

While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.

Frederik in contrast is much liked by the Danes probably because of being "imperfect" but with a folksy attitude bonding with the public, plus with a wife who is welcome to overshadow and publicly help him to overcome his deficites.

Therefore comparisons always have to be seen with the local background. What works in one country, could be counterproductive in another.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.
Felipe is not his father in terms of Charisma (although I think Charisma is very subjective), but who is (any other CP is ? LOL) if the media was putting JC on the same level as Clinton or Obama ? Felipe's approval rating is higher than 80%, about 86% surveyed in May said he would be ready to be King. If not because of his 'hard work', I doubt he would be as appreciated as he is now.
I don't think the Danes wouldn't like a handsome, well spoken and actively working CP.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Felipe is not his father in terms of Charisma (although I think Charisma is very subjective), but who is (any other CP is ? LOL) if the media was putting JC on the same level as Clinton or Obama ? Felipe's approval rating is higher than 80%, about 86% surveyed in May said he would be ready to be King. If not because of his 'hard work', I doubt he would be as appreciated as he is now.
I don't think the Danes wouldn't like a handsome, well spoken and actively working CP.
The Danes like Frederik the same as the Spaniards like Felipe. There is no significant difference in the approval ratings.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Nevertheless the talk of becoming a republic is much louder in Spain than in Denmark meaning that its not all down to the CP being perceived as working "hard" or not.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
We already have a handsome, actively working and charismatic CP. Wouldn't you like that?