The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post

Business promotion is the specialty of Joachim (is he supposed to do nothing?). But that does not mean he is more involved than Frederik or that his visits are more important than those of Frederik (IMO he takes over the 'less important' visits - just as it should be).
But Frederik is the heir to the throne, business promotion is not his main focus.
Joachim had travelled to China, Brazil, Russia and Mexico (I'm not counting 1-2 day trips) the last 11/2 years to promote the Danish business, if the business was not his specialty before, now it looks like it's becoming one, perhaps he has been groomed to have Andrew like role in Denmark. However Denmark is not a big country like GB with more than enough actvities in all sectors, Frederick already doesn't have much to do compared to the CPs from bigger countries (an excuse always being given to Frederick when being compared to Charles or Felipe), now his brother has been more involved in the business sector. That was my point. I think I have said enough on this subject.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

The answer to this question is based on perception. There are a lot of different opinions on who is the laziest Royal based on what we see the Royals do.

Anne is considered hard-working because she has been doing a lot of engagements over the last few decades. Charles may currently do more than her but as heir we expect him to do more, thus our perception that Anne works harder than Charles.

In Sweden, Carl Philip and Madeline do not do much. Since the Swedish government does not directly pay them, they may feel like they are living off allowances from their daddy and bear no responsibility to the Swedish Taxpayers-whereas we perceive that they should be doing a lot more for the money that they get from their father.

In Denmark, Frederick does not perform as many public duties as the other heirs, even his Scandinavian counterparts. He may well be the busiest royal alive behind the scenes but since we do not see this we perceive him to be lazy. This is a PR problem that the DRF should have addressed by making him do more PUBLIC engagements but since they have not I can only assume that he does not want to be publicly doing more than he is, in which case he has to live with the perception that he is lazy

Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Nobility

Rather than finding the laziest royal, I will mention the most engaging and committed royals; in my opinion the Felipe and Letizia.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Well, nobody beats the Brits, a 85 and a 90 year old are doing much more than some monarch couples, let alone CPs. Charles is the highest profile CP around, in times of quality work miles ahead of what others do, but to be fair the Kingdom provides the vast field of activities.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Nobility

The brits IMO seems to put in, at least, the senior ones. Fred of Denmark attends sporting activities mostly, it seems. He likes Sailing, Tennis, etc as a spectator. (also participates in sailing). His wife Mary appears to do more then him. She is on maternity leave at the moment, she does normally put in. Fred for me would be a bit of a good time Charlie. Doesn't seem to 'look' for work.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
The answer to this question is based on perception. There are a lot of different opinions on who is the laziest Royal based on what we see the Royals do.
I think many opinions are actually not based on what we see (on facts) but on what we want to see (on personal preferences and prejudices).

Quote:
In Denmark, Frederick does not perform as many public duties as the other heirs, even his Scandinavian counterparts.
Could you please pm me the results of your comparisons? I am very interested.
And could you also tell me if Queen Margrethe performs as many public duties as the other monarchs, even her Scandinavian counterparts?

Quote:
He may well be the busiest royal alive behind the scenes but since we do not see this we perceive him to be lazy. This is a PR problem that the DRF should have addressed by making him do more PUBLIC engagements but since they have not I can only assume that he does not want to be publicly doing more than he is, in which case he has to live with the perception that he is lazy
Frederik does not have to care about what some messageboarders "perceive", especially if they are well known as fans of other cp couples (which might have influenced their "perception").
In a poll, performed in DK in April 2010, 77,8% of the asked persons said that Frederik does his job very well. Certainly not because he is perceived as lazy.
The Danish royals have to perform their duties in accordance with their country and their people. And compared with the other members of the DRF Frederik does have enough public engagements. (And I actually did a comparison for 2008-2011.)
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility

I think Fred does need to care about how he is perceived, even if it's in an opinion based forum. (maybe they are the best gauge of public opinion, honest, and somewhat unsensored). His lifestyle is payed for by the Danish taxpayer - therefore, he needs to look ernest, useful and engaged. Fred has charm, no doubt about that, he seems to get a lot of mileage from that. Perhaps the public's feelings of warmth and affection towards Fred is partly derived from that. I doubt it's because he is very hard working, IMO, he is not. (and he could attend an official event every day and still be PERCEIVED as indolent). Fred would I think, choose a sailing trip over a more serious engagement. Just my perception.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I think perception is certainly the key word as evidenced by some of the royal labeled lazy. And to be honest, I think a lot of the perception is based on a bias or a lack of knowledge.

For example, Beatrice and Eugenie are considered to be lazy and yet they are full time students who currently undertake NO official royal duties. Beatrice graduates this year, and there is a belief that she will not take on any royal duties and instead pursue a career.....a couple of months from now, is she still going to be considered lazy?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

It, also, is the perception of what is a job. Lazy is an awful word, that says you don't carry your weight and you get paid. So, whomever decides who will cut what ribbon, is in charge. And, if they say, it is okay to do what you are doing, then who can say who is lazy.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
I think Fred does need to care about how he is perceived, even if it's in an opinion based forum. (maybe they are the best gauge of public opinion, honest, and somewhat unsensored). His lifestyle is payed for by the Danish taxpayer - therefore, he needs to look ernest, useful and engaged. Fred has charm, no doubt about that, he seems to get a lot of mileage from that. Perhaps the public's feelings of warmth and affection towards Fred is partly derived from that. I doubt it's because he is very hard working, IMO, he is not. (and he could attend an official event every day and still be PERCEIVED as indolent). Fred would I think, choose a sailing trip over a more serious engagement. Just my perception.

I agree. I like CP Frederik but I think he is honestly the laziest future monarch today. When he does do public duties most of them for the past year or two are sports related...he shows up and watches a sporting event or opens one. That's not really work. I am sure he does a lot of behind the scenes BUT so do other future monarchs...they still go out and perform their roles though with actual work. I just look at what Victoria, Haakon, and Felipe are doing for example and then I look at what CP Frederik is doing and he barely does anything and when he does it's more pleasure than work. And I hope no one brings up the "just because there isn't a picture, doesn't mean he doesn't work" because I know that he went to Africa with the Red Cross for a number of days and we had virtually no pictures of that but THOSE are the sort of events he should be doing more of and it would be smart of the DRF to better publicize them because it will improve his image among people who do perceive him to be lazy. His wife, the consort, seems to take on more serious and worthwhile patronages and duties than the actual Crown Prince!

Lately he's been doing a lot more overseas work and his calender is quite full (although with many sporting events aside from the overseas visits) so I am really glad to see that, but I hope it won't be like in the past where he works for a bit and then just "disappears". He will be the monarch of Denmark eventually...he needs to step up considering how much the taxpayers "pay" him and considering what his role is. All the other heirs have...Frederik needs to as well and once he does I am sure that he will do a fantastic job. As of right now, he seems to be willing to enjoy all the perks of his position...but not do the work that goes along with it.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Nobility

I agree, it is only what we pervceive a royal does, that makes us assume if someone is lazy or not, also on forums a lot depends how biased a person is towards the person that is being discussed.

I could say that Mette-Marit is lazy since their holiday last year I can only remember seeing her about three times, if this is correct number of times she has attended an event I am not sure. Some say she is studying, however I know any number of people that are studying part time or at night and don't have the help she has and still managers to do a full time job.

Is she lazy? How would I know, how would I or any one know if somone is lazy.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Why does she need to provide another source...is the Examiner considered a tabloid?

The Examiner is not a swedish source, and as long as the author keeps making mistakes she could have easily avoided (also in articles on other royal families), and as long as she doesn't speak swedish, I am taking it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post

Considering that Fred has an approval rate of around 80% or more for years now, I don't think he has to care about how he is perceived at this forum or any other.
Obviously, the people that matter (the Danes) think it is fine the way it is.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Considering that Fred has an approval rate of around 80% or more for years now, I don't think he has to care about how he is perceived at this forum or any other.
Obviously, the people that matter (the Danes) think it is fine the way it is.
No I suppose it's much better to wait until people realize their CP (not royal) is the laziest of all and IF his approval rating drops to actually do something.

The majority of Danes are also probably not people that follow royalty so they don't really know what Frederik gets up to. I would attribute his high approval rating to the fact that he was always quite popular as a result of his stint in the military, his marriage and his down to earth aways. But when you examine his work ethic in the past few years it is very lacking. The majority of his "duties" are attending a sporting event....watching it and then leaving. If you do not believe me then please, go ahead and examine his calender. Compare his calender and events on it to that of all the other heirs. You will see a big difference.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

I do know his calendar, and the majority of his events are not attending sporting events.

Basically you are saying that Danes don't care about Fred or the DRF enough to see what he is doing?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

Don't twist my words. I clearly wrote that the majority of Danes are not ROYAL WATCHERS. As in they do not log onto forums to keep an eye on what he is doing daily. I think it's obvious most Danes do not take a great interest in the royal family these days. Especially the younger generation because it simply isn't "cool".

That's funny because if I recall aside from his overseas visits the majority if not all of his solo duties are related to sports. Even his recent trip to Paris had to do with sports, and he even fit in watching a tennis match. Now I see nothing wrong with that but that's all of his solo duties for the past year or two (again I did awknowledge that he did a number of overseas visits that is work a CP should be doing, he should be doing more of these types of work especially at home in Denmark like other heirs).
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
Don't twist my words. I clearly wrote that the majority of Danes are not ROYAL WATCHERS. As in they do not log onto forums to keep an eye on what he is doing daily. I think it's obvious most Danes do not take a great interest in the royal family these days. Especially the younger generation because it simply isn't "cool".
Just wondering how you want to know that most Danes are not Royal Watchers? Because they are not what you define as a Royal Watcher?
How is it obvious that most Danes do not take a great interest in the DRF? Especially considering that you are in Canada? How do you know what young Danes think is cool?

Quote:
That's funny because if I recall aside from his overseas visits the majority if not all of his solo duties are related to sports. Even his recent trip to Paris had to do with sports, and he even fit in watching a tennis match. Now I see nothing wrong with that but that's all of his solo duties for the past year or two (again I did awknowledge that he did a number of overseas visits that is work a CP should be doing, he should be doing more of these types of work especially at home in Denmark like other heirs).
The majority if not all? You must have seen a different calendar:

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender - Afholdte begivenheder
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

Because I have friends and RELATIVES within Denmark and NONE of them care about the DRF to the point that they observe what they do or visit forums about them. They like the royals but they do not consider them something interesting or something they will follow and read about everyday. When something like a birth in the DRF happens they are happy but life goes on. The DRF are there in the background and not something that most people really notice. It's also pretty clear considering we don't exactly live in the 1900's. The monarchy simply doesn't appeal to the majority of the younger generation.

There is no point arguing with you because obviously nothing any member of the DRF does is wrong to you. I have no issue with that because you can have whatever opinion you want to have and I will have mine.

P.S I also clearly stated that I HAVE noticed that for the past month and as of this month Frederik has had more duties and many serious overseas duties. I awknowledge that and I hope he keeps this up. I am saying that BEFORE for the past year or so most of his solo duties (without his wife or rest of the family) his events have been sports related.

I do not hate or dislike the DRF or Frederik. I just have an issue with Frederik's work ethic.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
No I suppose it's much better to wait until people realize their CP (not royal) is the laziest of all and IF his approval rating drops to actually do something.

The majority of Danes are also probably not people that follow royalty so they don't really know what Frederik gets up to. I would attribute his high approval rating to the fact that he was always quite popular as a result of his stint in the military, his marriage and his down to earth aways.
Now, that's ridiculous.
The Danes don't know what their crown prince does?
But you do?

Fact is Frederik gets high approval ratings from the Danes since years and none of your posts will change that.

And I don't quite see why opening a sport event and promoting sport and healthy lifestyle is considered as "not working". IMO it's as important as opening an art event and promoting culture (which is what Queen Margrethe mostly does).
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Aristocracy

Oh God...is it truly that hard to understand what I am saying?

Do you honestly believe that EVERY single Dane in Denmark checks or even cares about what the Crown Prince does? Do you think that literally every Dane sits at their computer and checks royal forums or the official DRF website to see what the Crown Prince is doing? THAT is what I mean. There simply isn't that much of an interest these days in royalty especially in the younger generation. If you do not believe me then go talk to your average 20 or so year old Dane on the street, they will obviously know who CP Frederik is but I doubt they will have a good idea of what he does day to day (his work). Royalty simply isn't a big aspect of peoples lives these days.

Ok sorry my bad. I just checked the DRF calender for the months I talked about (before May 2011, since I have to be very specific) and he did 2 sporting events during the month of April and he watched 2 films. That was his "work". I wish I could show up to work for 2 or 3 hours and watch a movie or a sport event. :/

Now let's go to March, shall we? He went to a curling match and attended a sculpture by the sea reception. I suppose I shouldn't count these months though because he has newborns so you will just argue that his workload is like that because of that fact.

So let's go to May 2010...he went sailing in the Fyn Cup, he rode a horse in a non-hunt, he went to an ISAF (sailing) conference, went to a concert for the Danish Royal Lifeguards, and handed out some money. Nice. Compare that to whatever the other heirs are doing. I can keep going but I don't see a point since you will just respond with the usual of how Frederik really is truly very busy.

I wouldn't consider these events as "not working" if it wasn't all he did. I already stated that lately (since May) he has been doing a lot more work and duties that are befitting of his position. I HOPE he keeps that up. I like him as a person, I really do believe that he is a very warm, down to earth and nice person but as a CP...he could be doing a lot more and he should be considering his great position in life.