The Popularity Of Royals In Their Own Country

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Netherlands: Máxima, Máxima, Máxima, Máxima........., Máxima......., and then oma Bea and the AAA-princesses......, and somewhere far behind: The King.

Two days ago, during the photoshoot in Lech am Arlberg (Austria) the national and international media were only interested in Máxima, Máxima, Máxima and the Princesses. The Austrian newspaper Kronen Zeitung only had pictures with the Queen, Princess Beatrix and the three AAA-princesses. Asked about the King, the reporter said: "Our readers have no interest in the King, they want Máxima". The German magazine Bunte stated the same: "Our readers are only interested in Queen Máxima and her daughters, not in King Willem-Alexander".

It tells a lot about the superficiality of the media. At the other hand I have to add that Kronen Zeitung, Bild and Bunte are very much what we call "Boulevard Press". So even being a spot- and faultless King sadly will not bring someone into Place Numero Uno. Luckily for Máxima the King -to whom she owes e-ve-ry-thing of her glamorous life- seems to beam of pride when the floodlights are all on "his four ladies". It seems -for an example- that the Prince of Wales had difficulties to cope with the immense popularity of his first spouse. He felt that all what he did with the Prince's Trust, his charities, his serious activities were all bulldozered away only to see what his wife was wearing that day, how her hair was and what jewels she was wearing.

It is also the common public: at the Third Tuesday of September the Dutch royal family travels in splendid carriages, with colourful ceremonial cortège, to thee Hall of Knights. The public alongside the route is really anticipating at which side of the carriage (then Princess) now Queen Máxima will be seated, so that they can wave to her and make good pictures....

Willem-Alexander appears to have any jealous feelings towards his wife's popularity. IMO he seems to be more than happy to let her shine.

Here you see an example: Máxima! Máxima! Máximaaa!

The King waves and steps aside: Go ahead, folks! Grab your chance!

Very gentlemanlike, goodnatured and laidback. Still I find it a pity that the only one true King here is "shoved away" because of the star quality of his spouse. For Máxima's credit I have to say that she always is careful to let the limelight be on her husband. There is a visible difference before and after the Investiture. Before they were "a team" behind the Queen. Both cared that the Queen was given all attention. Now Máxima is really trying not to overpower her royal spouse.

It is also her personality and... how can King Willem-Alexander ever "win", in his dark jacquet, next to his spouse in bright fuchsia and red?

Like TLLK, I too have the impression that K.W-A is happy to let his wife shine, he didn't really like the limelight when he was young, and occassionally got a bit negative attention (the "prins Pils" phase), he has a wife who mainly generates positive feedback for the DRF and he's quite okay with how things have worked out..

When his wife is in full gear, wearing splendid Orange-Nassau jewels, the King seems to be über-proud on her.

:lol:

Princess basmah hamza is Canadian born, but i dont think that anyone know her . she isnt populär in Canada. That is my opinion

It really seems that everyone on this thread has there own opinion about who's the most popular in their countries. It's refreshing to know that in Spain the older generation are popular and the country isn't obsessed with youth.
But every country is obssessed with the royal children. In Spain, Leonor and Sofia (especially Leonor) get lots of attention and they appear on lots of magazine covers. The same applies to the other monarchies. Everyone loves children, especially those who are royalty.

In Portugal, Letizia and the Duchess of Cambrigde are the ones who the portuguese media loves most. But from those two, I think Letizia wins.

When we talk about being popular, it is a very subjective thing. Letizia, on my point of view, is the most popular in Spain, but unfortunately, on that popularity also comes criticism. But without a doubt, she's the one who appears the most on media. For good or for the bad, she's the most talked member of the Spanish royal family.

In Sweden it is very clearly CP Victoria.

In Spain I have learned, the QUEEN Letizia gained a dramatic win of popularity, which the CROWN PRINCESS Letizia never had. Very interesting!

In Netherlands I totally agree with Maxxx

In Denmark it is CP Frederic, who seems to have more than his wife.

In Belgium it is Queen Mathilde.

In the UK I agree on the 3 young Royals, Wills, Kate, Harry

In Norway it seems to be the King, followed by CP Haakon. Not so many points for Mette-Marit.

No idea about Luxemburg or Monaco, or Japan.... anyone?

Bye Bine

Here in the UK, the Queen and Prince Harry appear to be the most popular of our royal family. People I know who once had no interest in the Royal Family seem these days to hold the Queen in higher regard than they ever did.

Guillaume of Luxembourg seems to be very popular.

I am not sure about Monaco - do we have any posters who live there?!

What should the popluarity be based on? Opinions of the general public or relaible surveys?

Here you see an example: Máxima! Máxima! Máximaaa!

The King waves and steps aside: Go ahead, folks! Grab your chance!

Very gentlemanlike, goodnatured and laidback. Still I find it a pity that the only one true King here is "shoved away" because of the star quality of his spouse. For Máxima's credit I have to say that she always is careful to let the limelight be on her husband. There is a visible difference before and after the Investiture. Before they were "a team" behind the Queen. Both cared that the Queen was given all attention. Now Máxima is really trying not to overpower her royal spouse.

It is also her personality and... how can King Willem-Alexander ever "win", in his dark jacquet, next to his spouse in bright fuchsia and red?

Think it is wonderful that Maxima is popular in the Netherlands, but, according to a survey I read recently, most Argentines have never heard of her. :eek::what:

I love the exuberant Maxie, and I'm not even Dutch! However, it is a truism, isn't it, that the media and public do concentrate on female royals, especially if they are young and pretty, because (and yes, it is shallow/superficial) a woman's dress, hat, makeup, hair, makes for more to feature and discuss than a man in a suit, however dapper and good looking? That in itself leads to a certain sort of popularity, as more magazines, fashion sites, newspapers feature female royals.

I don't know if it has much to do with being a woman, but Crown Princess Victoria seems to be the more popular royal in Sweden and not for the fact she wears tiaras, fine dresses etc, but for her work attitute and personality. That's what really counts at the end of the day IMO.

I love the exuberant Maxie, and I'm not even Dutch! However, it is a truism, isn't it, that the media and public do concentrate on female royals, especially if they are young and pretty, because (and yes, it is shallow/superficial) a woman's dress, hat, makeup, hair, makes for more to feature and discuss than a man in a suit, however dapper and good looking? That in itself leads to a certain sort of popularity, as more magazines, fashion sites, newspapers feature female royals.

Reading through this discussion, I am reminded of our own Dman's signature which I think well explains it all.

"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

:flowers:

Yes, I also think that the king and queen are most popular in Spain...my grandma lives in Madrid and she´s way too much interested in the Royal family (she doesn´t have anything else to do...) and she is not such a Letizia fan,maybe that will change if she´s giving birth to a male heir.I like Letizia a lot,I think she´s a smart woman and her daughters are soooo cute:wub:
I have the feeling that the non-blue-blood royals (born as commoners) are more popular than ever before! Think of Sonia (Norway),CP Mary, Grace Kelly ( I know that she´s dead,but to me she´s the quintessence of a princess!),Catherine (UK), Daniel in Sweden who married Viktoria(...they are so happy together,I can´t wait till they are having children!) and Charlene of Monaco!I think it´s because people can relate to them more than the royals who were raised very different from us normal commoners....

Not to forget Queen Silvia of Sweden who seems to be more popular than the King

Think it is wonderful that Maxima is popular in the Netherlands, but, according to a survey I read recently, most Argentines have never heard of her. :eek::what:

Why should the Argentineans ever have heard of her? I think 99% of the Dutch can not even name the president of Argentina. It is only logical. Máxima has spent more years of her life abroad than in her own homeland.

I don't know if it has much to do with being a woman, but Crown Princess Victoria seems to be the more popular royal in Sweden and not for the fact she wears tiaras, fine dresses etc, but for her work attitute and personality. That's what really counts at the end of the day IMO.

There is no difference in work attitude or personality between Victoria and Silvia. The first one is graced by youth and has a young family. That is a total different appeal to the public. As popular young and handsome Harry is now, as popular was is once young and hunky uncle Andrew.

The average Swede is not interested in Victoria's interest for the preservation of medieaeval textiles, to name something. Only her hair, her clothes or her bijoux will probably be discussed. We can see that phenomenon with our very own eyes here on the forums. If it was about work ethics et al, then Anne should top the lists, but she is not all that "popular" whatever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no difference in work attitude or personality between Victoria and Silvia. The first one is graced by youth and has a young family. That is a total different appeal to the public. As popular young and handsome Harry is now, as popular was is once young and hunky uncle Andrew.

The average Swede is not interested in Victoria's interest for the preservation of medieaeval textiles, to name something. Only her hair, her clothes or her bijoux will probably be discussed. We can see that phenomenon with our very own eyes here on the forums. If it was about work ethics et al, then Anne should top the lists, but she is not all that "popular" whatever that means.

Yes, Svensk Damtidning writes mostly about Victoria's clothes. But when the common Swedes, whom Victoria meets at her work and visits are interviewed, they say things like "she was so kind and hearty, she really took the time to greet us, talk with us, she hugged my daughter, she gave me a hug, she thanked so warmly about the flowers I gave her". The people don't say "she had such a great dress, she had a great hairdo".
Maria Romantschuk, the press director of Tarja Halonen, the former president of Finland, lists at her book charismatic people she has met. Victoria is one of them and Romantschuk writes about her "easy-going and cordial, socially extremely intelligent".
Romantschuk has noticed the same thing than the most Swedes: Victoria is kind and cordial and really interested in the people she meets - and that is why Victoria is so loved. And the Swedes also respect Victoria because of the work she does, and see her as a dutiful person. And many Swedes are happy for Victoria that she finally got her Daniel and then Estelle, and are happy about Victoria's happiness, because they see that she deserves that.
Younger royals, especially Victoria and Daniel, come of course closer to the people than the king and queen (the visits all over Sweden in 2013 were an exception), people get to talk with them, shake hands and give flowers, gifts and drawings.

Last edited:

I don't think that is true. Many Swedes i've talked to never mentioned Victoria's clothes or tiaras, but they frequently cite her professionalism, her work ethic, how devoted she is to her job and her family, and how she genuinely cares about people in general.

Besides, although that is just my personal opinion (and others may obviously disagree), I don't find Victoria particularly attractive or elegant as a woman. In fact, she pales in comparison to other crown princesses when they were her age and even now in comparison to some older crown princesses or queen consorts. The praise and admiration she gets has far more to do with her good heart and the work she does than with her looks.

Sooooooo..... you think that the fact that P.Andrew has grown less popular over the years is just due to the fact that he's not young and hunky anymore :lol:

Imo we should give the average person a little more credit than saying that they are just interested in royal's hair, clothes and bijoux :flowers:
(esp. with regards to P.Victoria, who even on these very forums has been praised for her work-etic many times by Swedish posters)

But now i at least understand your remark posted in the discussion about dutch-princesses-posing-on-horse-without-riding-helmet: "that it would be a shame if they wore a helmet when they had made their hair look pretty" :lol: everything falls into place :lol:

Last edited:
Yes. The old and wrinkly Queen Paola has no fraction anymore of the immense popularity as young, fresh and glamorous Princess de Liège. The old and wrinkly Princess Margaret had no fraction anymore from the sensation she once caused when she graced an event with her sparkling appearance. The once über-popular and dashy Prince William is now a balding and sullen-looking younger version of Prince Charles and suddenly all attention goes to his so much more hunky brother Prince Harry. L'histoire se répète: back then the sullen-looking Prince of Wales was already bypassed by his hunky brother Prince Andrew, the Falklands hero.

It is just a cycle. The old and aged and wrinkled and abdicated Princess Beatrix now suddenly seems to enjoy genuine warmth and admiration, which she never had during her kingship. So it comes with highs and lows. Even Queen Elizabeth II has experienced frosty times during her long Reign and as she becomes older, great-grand-momma, her image is also softer and the admiration has changed.

The young Queen Silvia or the young Grand-Duchess María Teresa were sensations. Now we see plastic grim-faced ladies plastered with make-up and unnatural hair colours. See Princess Caroline: all attention goes to the beauties whom are her daughter and her daughters-in-law.

While I agree that common people doens't know about her interests, I think it's only the tabloids and media in general who are interested in her make-ip, style and updos. Most of the swedish people (as far as I am aware of) don't pay any attention to the look, but genuily love Victoria for being herself, for her dedication and discipline. I also agree with another poster who said that, besided everything, her looks are rather "girl-next-door" and quite relatable. It means, that maybe not being stunningly beautiful, has, in a way, help let people go behind theimage and focus on her contributions and job. (This last part is just my opinion):flowers:

While I agree that common people doens't know about her interests, I think it's only the tabloids and media in general who are interested in her make-ip, style and updos. Most of the swedish people (as far as I am aware of) don't pay any attention to the look, but genuily love Victoria for being herself, for her dedication and discipline. I also agree with another poster who said that, besided everything, her looks are rather "girl-next-door" and quite relatable. It means, that maybe not being stunningly beautiful, has, in a way, help let people go behind theimage and focus on her contributions and job. (This last part is just my opinion):flowers:

I know last sentence is your opinion, but could you elaborate on "not being stunningly beautiful..." In order to make that statement, a comparison has to have been made. So CP Victoria is as "not...stunningly beautiful" as who? With whom are you making this comparison?

Yes. The old and wrinkly Queen Paola has no fraction anymore of the immense popularity as young, fresh and glamorous Princess de Liège. The old and wrinkly Princess Margaret had no fraction anymore from the sensation she once caused when she graced an event with her sparkling appearance. The once über-popular and dashy Prince William is now a balding and sullen-looking younger version of Prince Charles and suddenly all attention goes to his so much more hunky brother Prince Harry. L'histoire se répète: back then the sullen-looking Prince of Wales was already bypassed by his hunky brother Prince Andrew, the Falklands hero.

It is just a cycle. The old and aged and wrinkled and abdicated Princess Beatrix now suddenly seems to enjoy genuine warmth and admiration, which she never had during her kingship. So it comes with highs and lows. Even Queen Elizabeth II has experienced frosty times during her long Reign and as she becomes older, great-grand-momma, her image is also softer and the admiration has changed.

The young Queen Silvia or the young Grand-Duchess María Teresa were sensations. Now we see plastic grim-faced ladies plastered with make-up and unnatural hair colours. See Princess Caroline: all attention goes to the beauties whom are her daughter and her daughters-in-law.

This 'summation' is of the nature that one could probably expect to find in one of the glossy magazines that you claim has these views, when in all fairness, you seem to both have them, and elaborate on them, yourself. It is an irrefutable fact that as royals grow older, more into grandparenty figures etc, a different kind of affection is bestowed upon them, but whether or not a specific royal has lifted an eyelid or dyes their hair, is commonly not what most people comment on or care about. As Queen Silvia has grown older, she has become more respected for the work she does and her visible integrity as both Queen, mother and wife, and anything else superficial is just not something I ever hear referred to here in Sweden, both in formal and informal contexts.

When it comes to gossip and attention, it is quite normal that it is bestowed upon the younger generations primarily. They are filled with energy of youth, the inexperienced, playful ways of exploring life and occasionally making mistakes. That tends to sell more magazines than reporting on older and settled royals, who are secure in themselves, their roles and lives.

When it comes to CP Victoria, it really is how she is described here in Sweden, dutiful, regal, mature, warm and professional. Put those characteristics up against the subjective and empty 'gorgeous' or 'stunning', and I certainly know which set I would prefer myself.

A friend of mine once said about the Crown Princess, when she had visited our town in Sweden, in reference to her looks: I don't want a beauty Queen, but rather a duty Queen.

In Victoria, I'm sure that's exactly what we'll get.

Why should the Argentineans ever have heard of her? I think 99% of the Dutch can not even name the president of Argentina. It is only logical. Máxima has spent more years of her life abroad than in her own homeland.

Logically, why would 99% of the Dutch know who the president of Argentina is, especially when the president in question is not from the Netherlands? Maxima is from Argentina and comes from a prominent Argentine family. She attended the Northlands School in Buenos Aires and also attended universities in Argentina for both undergraduate and graduate studies. She is also the only Argentinean to ever become a Queen. This was the reasoning used wondering why many from her home country do not know who she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If "work attitude" was that important the king would be much more popular than his daughter since he is by far he hardest working royal in Sweden. IMO it's really more about personality and the ability to deal with the media (which the king seems to lack totally).

P.H is popular in Britain because he presents as warm, caring and spontaneous. He is also openly dyslexic and people respect him for what he has came through and how he deals with the pressures in his life, in my humble opinion. C.P Victoria is loved in her home nation for who she is and what she does, from what I can see. She is also dyslexic. People tend to respect work ethic in my opinion and Princess Anne is respected and admired in England for those qualities.

I know last sentence is your opinion, but could you elaborate on "not being stunningly beautiful..." In order to make that statement, a comparison has to have been made. So CP Victoria is as "not...stunningly beautiful" as who? With whom are you making this comparison?

I don't want to really go into that debate, as beauty is more a matter of opinion, but, let's say that to me Victoria is less eye-catching, striking than some other royl womens whent it comes to her looks and how she dresses. Really, I don't want to draw comparisons.... She has a more "relatable" kind of beauty.... I only meant that she as other qualities rather than her looks to be admred for.The general public doens't see Victoria as royal decked out in dresses and tiara, but just a future queen who has personality, sense of duty and seems prepared for her future role.

If "work attitude" was that important the king would be much more popular than his daughter since he is by far he hardest working royal in Sweden. IMO it's really more about personality and the ability to deal with the media (which the king seems to lack totally).

The King is not popular indeed because of his personality and also because of his scandals... So, in a way, I agree with you!

Harry is openly dyslexic? When did Harry admit to being dyslexic?

We, readers of these forums, have a more than average interest in royalty. The average man in the street could not care less and yes there are plenty of Argentineans whom have no idea that an Argentine is married to the King of the Netherlands, like there are plenty of Italians who never heard about Donna Paola Ruffo di Calabria...

That a totally unknown but utterly stunning lady as Donna Paola could conquer the Belgians, while she possibly was the "laziest" (the least public duties) of all shows my point: she had the beauty, the charisma, the sparkle, the stir with the public which her sister-in-law Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón did not have. Sure... as spouse to the King she had a far more prominent place, but Paola de Liège on the cover sold way better than the Nun-Queen. It helped that Princess Paola had a lovely family with three cuties on the romantic Château de Belvédère and the Sissi-like sugarfondant fooled the public by hiding the deep rifts in the marriage.

The young Princess Paola is now the young Princess Victoria. The romantic Belvédère is now the dreamlike Haga and the too cute three blonde toddlers crawling in Brussels have made place for fairy Estelle enchanting the world.

As the immensely popular Queen Máxima goes on toward her fifties, her three daughters will become the focus of public attention. Who will marry the future Queen of the Netherlands. Will her sisters Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane turn into media-magnets. It is just a cycle. It has nothing to do with personal achievements. Note that a young Princess Beatrix was always outshadowed by her glamorous (and 'rebellious') sister Irene. As Queen she never managed to top popularity polls. Her beloved mother, her long-suffering spouse, her daughter-in-law with her 10.000 megawatt smile, all of them kept Beatrix away from the position as "most popular" royal. Her eldest son, the current King has never topped the popularity polls either. Not as Prince of Orange, not as King of the Netherlands. At the same time Queen Beatrix enjoyed great respect for the way she executed her kingship. The new King already got high scores in polls in his first year and managed to keep these. This shows that popularity is just a fling and can be over before someone realises. This also proves it has nothing to do with personal merits. Princess Anne is one of the hardest working royals, for decades and decades. Catherine blows her away. Why? Just because she is fresh, young, happy, glamorous, etc. Like Anne herself once was. Now Anne looks like the milk spontaneously turns sour when she passes your house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom