Which Royal Family Would You Marry Into?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first choices would be the Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, and Swedish royals. They do their best to maintain their connection with the people they rule, find time to unwind if possible, try not to get tangled up in scandals too much, maintained relatively relaxed atmospheres if appropriate, and use their authorities responsibly. I also think it would be nice to get to know their traditions and take them into heart. Another upside is that they have cool natural scenery to enjoy.

My next choices are the Belgian and Luxembourger ones. They seem a bit more strict with protocol, but at least they remain respected by the people they rule.

The bottom of my list are the BRF (too much unwanted attention and possibly too much protocol), the JIF (the Imperial Agency's treatment of Michiko and Masako disgusts me), and the Muslim royal families (most of them come across as too power-hungry and tyrannical to my tastes).

If you could take out the diva mother in law, I think Luxembourg would be a good option. The siblings all seem quite close and the media appears to give them a wide birth without too much intrusion into private lives. They also seem to have little expectations on the royals bar the Grand Duke and Duchess so you would make your role what you wanted.

I'll marry prince William. [emoji3059]

Which Prince William?

I'd guess the one and only Prince William, though he is married with three kids.

Unless there is some non-reigning Prince William I am over looking.

Only way I'd marry into a royal family was a royal family who the younger sons and their spouses have private lives/jobs. I would never settle for touring hospitals and cutting ribbons after years of education, training and work in them. I'd go crazy after only a few weeks.

Happy to be in a royal house like Lichtenstein or such where there is little press intrusion. Where we would have the money to enjoy life, even if we were still working. And enjoy their art collections and life that comes with it.

I am happy to do charity work. I do charity work as it is. But I need balance.

I'd guess the one and only Prince William, though he is married with three kids.

Unless there is some non-reigning Prince William I am over looking.

Only way I'd marry into a royal family was a royal family who the younger sons and their spouses have private lives/jobs. I would never settle for touring hospitals and cutting ribbons after years of education, training and work in them. I'd go crazy after only a few weeks.

Happy to be in a royal house like Lichtenstein or such where there is little press intrusion. Where we would have the money to enjoy life, even if we were still working. And enjoy their art collections and life that comes with it.

I am happy to do charity work. I do charity work as it is. But I need balance.
Hey, we are talking hypothetically right. I'm also married with three children (and a fourth on its way). [emoji6]

On the taxpayer part: a good moment to destroy the myth that there are no taxes in Monaco. The expenses of the Palais Princier amount between 35 and 40 million Euro of taxpayers' money per year. This is more than what the State has budgetted for public waste collection, public cleaning service, public transport and public lighting. Calculated per capita, the House of Monaco is the most expensive for the taxpayers.

Living in overcrowded Monte-Carlo:
The whole principality is about 3km across and 1km deep.
There are blocks of flats everywhere you look, it’s unbelievable how many apartment blocks have been crowded into such a small area of land. It’s a concrete jungle.

Faded Glory in Monte-Carlo:
Most buildings are old and worn out, most of the apartments are small and build in the seventies and eighties.

Sunday in Monte-Carlo:
Only 10.000 of the 30.000 ‘inhabitants’ (of which only 6.000 are real monégasques) are really living there. So it always feels like it is Sunday morning.

No nature in Monte-Carlo:
There is virtually no nature here whatsoever – just concrete roads and apartment blocks. Instinctively many residents feel better when out of Monaco, if only for the fact that they get to see a few trees and some grass.

Boring Monte-Carlo:
There isn’t that much to do in Monaco. For a minute village, it’s not bad, but compared to any other medium-sized city (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Saint-Tropez, Toulon, etc.) there just isn’t much to do at all.

Paradox in wealth in Monte-Carlo:
One literally sees at least thirty Ferraris or Lamborghinis every day. Everyone is surrounded by garish jewellery stores and designers. It’s status-obsessed and yet no one can get any real status through material possessions here because everyone is so wealthy – it’s a bizarre paradox.

Conclusion: glitter on the outside, deadly boredom on the inside. Avoid marrying into that family!

Genetic lottery and fabulous wealth trump all of these though... ?

The princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein is wealthy in properties which is not the same as wealthy in cash. Famous is the quote of the late Duchess of Alba whom once remarked: "I can not go to the supermarket with a Rembrandt under my arm". With this saying: "nice that everyone attributes so much money to me, but I do not see it in my wallet".

The princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein is an enormous family. Together they own wonderful and historic collections. The value which is attributed to these properties is translated in "Oh, they are mega-rich" but every princeling simply has a job to earn their living, actually.

It is the same as saying to Máxima or Silvia: gosh, your jewelry cassettes are bursting out of fabulous diamonds, your palaces are full of artworks, you are so rich! But magazines as Forbes conveniently ignore the fact that they can never cash on these diamonds and artworks as these are safely stocked away in legal entities to prevent a break-up and fragmentation of properties.

Undoubtedly the princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein will be quite well-off. But all princelings seem to have a modest lifestyle and a daily job. By lack of any royal life, they are living quite normal lives like you and me.

The heir to the Liechtenstein principality does have royal duties and is based in Liechtenstein. Many family members live elsewhere. Of course the extent and degree of public life and duties for the current prince and his direct heirs is likely not the same as that of more high profile royalty, who historically ruled over countries and colonies.

Your joke about the Liechtensteins 'earning a living,' sounds absolutely great to me. (It reminds me of the lovely, productive, well-adjusted and fulfilling life that a much lesser known member of the Windsor family has been able to enjoy out of the spotlight: Princess Alexandra's son, James Ogilvy).

Obviously, the Liechtensteins are all very well off, much more-so than I happen to be. Or surely than many of us happen to be. They are all quite comfortable and moreover they lead relatively quiet lives, on purpose.

On the other hand, with their royal status, cache, provenance, access to other high profile people in the world, and to high quality education, medical care, etc., I disagree with you that they are 'living quite normal lives like you and me.' ;)

Last edited:
I'll marry prince William. [emoji3059]

Hmmm, I'll vote for Prince William of Gloucester. He was drop-dead gorgeous, intelligent, debonair, with piercing blue eyes. He was said to enjoy being around older woman, since the younger, giddy ladies his age or younger tended to fawn over him.

In fact, William of Gloucester fell in love with an older, divorced woman during his diplomatic career in Japan. Sadly, his stuffy family, obsessed with old prohibitions surrounding 'divorce,' purely due to the abdication of you know who, destroyed his 'soulmate' romance and thus his life. He was deeply despondent when he tragically died in a light aircraft crash in 1972. The Windsors swept the whole thing, along with his memory, under the rug.

His story needs to be told. Not only because of how handsome and accomplished he was, but also because in my opinion, it offers a huge piece to the puzzle of the Windsor dynasty. There is a documentary floating around on YouTube, The Other Prince William. But this delightful, yet doomed love story is ripe and rich enough in depth to become an epic series on Netflix or Masterpiece Theater. Sadly, I heard that William's beautiful lost love, Zsuzsi Starkloff, who lived in Colorado, if I'm not mistaken, died sometime in the Spring of 2020. She was in her 80s, and she cherished William's love and his memory to the end.

Prince William of Gloucester is the William I'd have married in a heartbeat. Not so much his namesake. (Not that either would have ever asked me. LOL).

Prince Charles looked up to his older second cousin. He named his first son after him. Pity that Prince William of Gloucester's story is little known and he himself has been forgotten almost completely. He inherited his 'handsome genes' after his beautiful mother, who lived to a ripe old age: Princess Alice.

I see that Princess Alice had Scottish roots. Her father was an Earl, and later the Duke of Buccleuch, and of Queensberry; her mother was a member of the British aristocracy. I wonder why Princess Alice received the 'princess' title outright and was not known as Princess Henry of Gloucester? Is this because she was already titled and of royal lineage? She is a direct line descendant of Charles II, via one of his illegitimate sons. Alice's mother is related through a cousin to Sarah, Duchess of York's paternal family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice,_Duchess_of_Gloucester

Prince William of Gloucester was considered a miracle child, since Princess Alice had a lot of difficulty conceiving and bringing a baby to term. I believe she was 40 when she finally gave birth to William. And then came younger son, and the current Duke, Richard. He takes more after the Windsors in looks. His older brother William got all the handsome genes:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e72bfe74af2e24d9b22d3ad7cb58261c/tumblr_pz72ccacyr1r4r8ero1_640.png

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/14/12/2B57753E00000578-0-image-a-49_1439551973992.jpg

https://alchetron.com/cdn/prince-wi...db-778a-4885-82f9-6435fee08b0-resize-750.jpeg

Last edited:
Alice was HRH the Duchess of Gloucester until her widowhood. She couldn't bear the thought of being a Dowager Duchess when her son married so she followed the example of her sister in law Marina.

Marina went back to being the Princess Marina she had been before marriage rather than the Dowager Duchess of Kent, for the same reasons. Alice hadn't been born a Princess, just a Lady as a Duke's daughter, but she thought it was a good idea, asked the Queen if she could adopt the styling of 'Princess Alice' and the Queen agreed.

Hmmm, I'll vote for Prince William of Gloucester. He was drop-dead gorgeous, intelligent, debonair, with piercing blue eyes. He was said to enjoy being around older woman, since the younger, giddy ladies his age or younger tended to fawn over him.

In fact, William of Gloucester fell in love with an older, divorced woman during his diplomatic career in Japan. Sadly, his stuffy family, obsessed with old prohibitions surrounding 'divorce,' purely due to the abdication of you know who, destroyed his 'soulmate' romance and thus his life. He was deeply despondent when he tragically died in a light aircraft crash in 1972. The Windsors swept the whole thing, along with his memory, under the rug.

His story needs to be told. Not only because of how handsome and accomplished he was, but also because in my opinion, it offers a huge piece to the puzzle of the Windsor dynasty. There is a documentary floating around on YouTube, The Other Prince William. But this delightful, yet doomed love story is ripe and rich enough in depth to become an epic series on Netflix or Masterpiece Theater. Sadly, I heard that William's beautiful lost love, Zsuzsi Starkloff, who lived in Colorado, if I'm not mistaken, died sometime in the Spring of 2020. She was in her 80s, and she cherished William's love and his memory to the end.

Prince William of Gloucester is the William I'd have married in a heartbeat. Not so much his namesake. (Not that either would have ever asked me. LOL).

Prince Charles looked up to his older second cousin. He named his first son after him. Pity that Prince William of Gloucester's story is little known and he himself has been forgotten almost completely. He inherited his 'handsome genes' after his beautiful mother, who lived to a ripe old age: Princess Alice.

I see that Princess Alice had Scottish roots. Her father was an Earl, and later the Duke of Buccleuch, and of Queensberry; her mother was a member of the British aristocracy. I wonder why Princess Alice received the 'princess' title outright and was not known as Princess Henry of Gloucester? Is this because she was already titled and of royal lineage? She is a direct line descendant of Charles II, via one of his illegitimate sons. Alice's mother is related through a cousin to Sarah, Duchess of York's paternal family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice,_Duchess_of_Gloucester

Prince William of Gloucester was considered a miracle child, since Princess Alice had a lot of difficulty conceiving and bringing a baby to term. I believe she was 40 when she finally gave birth to William. And then came younger son, and the current Duke, Richard. He takes more after the Windsors in looks. His older brother William got all the handsome genes:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e72bfe74af2e24d9b22d3ad7cb58261c/tumblr_pz72ccacyr1r4r8ero1_640.png

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/14/12/2B57753E00000578-0-image-a-49_1439551973992.jpg

https://alchetron.com/cdn/prince-wi...db-778a-4885-82f9-6435fee08b0-resize-750.jpeg

Ahhh.. a coinky dink for sure but I just posted the link to that YouTube documentary on Prince William of Gloucester yesterday in the "Most Popular Prince/Princess" thread in Royal Chit Chat. He really was good looking but tragically thwarted in love due to "restrictions" of being "royal". ?

Ahhh.. a coinky dink for sure but I just posted the link to that YouTube documentary on Prince William of Gloucester yesterday in the "Most Popular Prince/Princess" thread in Royal Chit Chat. He really was good looking but tragically thwarted in love due to "restrictions" of being "royal". ?

It was a different time then, divorce was frowned upon in many circles not just Royal circles. Also, Margaret as well, they could have married but both would have lost their place in the succession etc etc. In hindsight would it have mattered the queen had 4 children , the chances of either Margaret or William reaching the throne was quite remote. Life is about choices, maybe they did put duty before love or maybe they didn't.

It was a different time then, divorce was frowned upon in many circles not just Royal circles. Also, Margaret as well, they could have married but both would have lost their place in the succession etc etc. In hindsight would it have mattered the queen had 4 children , the chances of either Margaret or William reaching the throne was quite remote. Life is about choices, maybe they did put duty before love or maybe they didn't.

Im sure Will could have married this lady if he'd really wanted to. Margo was allowed in the end (if she wanted) to marry Townsend, only she would have had to step out of the succession. She chose not to. William was further don the line, so if he had wanted to drop out of the succession and marry abroad, I'm sure he could hve done so...

Yes, William of Gloucester was a very handsome man, and a very sad life and ending.
I rather like it that William of Cam. actually resembles the man he was named after.

:previous:

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. I always thought that Princess Alice was a royal princess by birth. I didn't look into her background until now. I think she was rather close and very respectful of the Queen. Alice was part of the aristocracy and from an old-fashioned time. So she never apparently questioned tradition, although I believe that neither she nor Henry, Duke of Gloucester were against their son marrying the woman he loved.

They along with the rest of the Windsors (even Princess Margaret after what she'd endured) all seemed to adhere to the old-fashioned notions of being appalled about Zsuzui's divorce, her hardly noticeable older age, the fact she had two young daughters, and she was apparently originally from Hungary and also Jewish, I believe. Here's an obituary:

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/obituaries/obituary-zsuzsana-starkloff/

Yes, William of Gloucester was a very handsome man, and a very sad life and ending.
I rather like it that William of Cam. actually resembles the man he was named after.

Hmmm, not really to my eyes. There is the similar long face, but current William more-so resembled his mother Diana when he was younger. Not as much anymore. He's definitely lost his hair and his good looks.

William of Gloucester was strikingly handsome, with piercing sky-blue eyes. And he still had a full head of dark hair in his early 30s. He was also extremely intelligent, as one of the more learned and academic Windsors, of which there are hardly any. He also was diagnosed with the same hereditary disease that it's believed George III suffered from in a time when nothing was understood about porphyria medically. There wasn't even a name for it back then. George III was driven mad by the painful and unnecessary treatments for an already painful disease doctors at that time had no understanding of. William of Gloucester had to take certain precautions, but there were modern medications available luckily.

In the YouTube documentary, William of Gloucester also has a lovely, soft-spoken yet manly voice. Altogether, the world and the royal family lost someone special. And the Windsors never ever publicly acknowledge his memory, aside from Charles naming his first son after him.

It had to be a horrible shock when he died in the air crash. But surely someone should have also seen how depressed and despondent he was at being leaned on to make the choice to give up someone who was a true soulmate. He was so dashing, debonair and enchanting altogether. I'm not sure how his mother could bear the loss. Of course, she still had Richard, but William was special. I'm sure it was a huge loss for Richard as well, particularly since he'd planned to become a professional architect, but gave it up because suddenly heir to Dukedom and royal duty, yadda yadda.

Maybe it's just me but watching the video, I saw a striking resemblance between William and his Uncle David. Both men were heart throbs in their time and very, very popular until life stepped in and changed things for both of them.

I agree that William of Gloucester was fascinating, but PLEASE can we not have yet ANOTHER thread about a member of the British Royal Family?

Can we move on please?:sad:

I agree that William of Gloucester was fascinating, but PLEASE can we not have yet ANOTHER thread about a member of the British Royal Family?

Can we move on please?:sad:

I'm all for that. There are plenty of royals not in the BRF that are/were popular. I think Prince Daniel of Sweden is hugely popular and his and Victoria's love story ranks right up there as almost legendary. Their wedding is still one of my favorites of all time. ?

I thought this thread was meant more about the family we would marry into, then any particular member of it.

But at least I thought 'living member' if we are going specific.

I guess there are a few other Williams if we go doing into royal crypts for husbands :lol:

Daniel is good looking and charming, but he is a commoner. So if you married him instead of him marrying Victoria, no royal life for you sadly.

Yeps.. we're veering off the topic of marriage. I'll stick to my original thought that I'd not marry into royalty and go running screaming the other way. :)

Royal life has never appealed to me. Nor does "celebrity" either. I'm too much of a private person and a recluse to relish public attention of any kind. :D

:previous: Me too to be perfectly honest. I wouldn't last a month.

Anonymous and wealthy would, for me, equal absolute NIRVANA.;)

I'd marry Prince Harry! He needs a real woman, and I would be supportive of his family while we complete our royal duties. Harry would be fun (Pre-Meghan of course) and I think he was quite handsome.

Second choice Prince Felix of Luxembourg.

Third choice Prince Albert of Monaco.

Fourth choice Prince William.

My final choice is Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden.

I'd marry Prince Harry! He needs a real woman, and I would be supportive of his family while we complete our royal duties. Harry would be fun (Pre-Meghan of course) and I think he was quite handsome.

Second choice Prince Felix of Luxembourg.

Third choice Prince Albert of Monaco.

Fourth choice Prince William.

My final choice is Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden.

Your choices seem to a broad range in character and style.

I do have to wonder what you idea of a 'real woman' is. Because you seem to think you'd suit a wide range of men with very different concepts of what the right woman is for them.

This thread was what royal family do you see yourself fitting in to.

Which Royal Family would you marry into?

The Swedish one, because they seem to have the warmest relations with each other to me.

For me of the reigning Houses, I would pick Liechtenstein because they are much more private and don’t get much publicity.

Another choice could be Bhutan’s royal family.

Back
Top Bottom