Which Royal Doesn't Live Up To The Hype?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_star

Heir Apparent
City
Manchester
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are polls about the "Best" and "Most Disappointing" Royal, but which Royal do you think least lives up to the hype surrounding them and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crownprincess Mary, not because I do not like her but simply because the hype seems to be to big & I do not see what all the fuss is about (I am more impressed by other crownprincess, although I know she -and Letizia- did not have that much time to prove herself yet).

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, not sure on this one. Shall have to give it some thought.

"MII"

Bumping this thread up....I agree with Marengo. It's Mary. I don't care for her either way but I can't understand why she's hailed as a saint in some places.

I cant see why people have such negative feelings (or none at all) towards Mary. I (personally find) that its normally those who are really fond of Letizia who feel this way and its quite beyond me...And, as of yet I can't seem to recall being witness to one single piece of credible evidence to support such ill feelings towards the Crown Princess.

It's only as much hype as one makes it...

"MII"

No offence is intended.

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
I cant see why people have such i'll feelings (or none at all) towards Mary. I (personally find) that its normally those who are really fond of Letizia who feel this way and its quite beyond me...And, as of yet I can't seem to recall being witness to one single piece of credible evidence to support such bitchy feelings towards the Crown Princess.

It's only as much hype as one makes it...

"MII"
Please, let's not make this into another Mary vs. Letizia thread/rehashing. And there's no need for putting out the "B" word.

A question was put out there: Which royal doesn't live up to his/her hype, and members have answered with their own feelings, whatever they are.

Everybody has a right to their own sentiments, no need to get personal or nasty by saying that people's opinons, because they differ from our own, are "bitchy." No offence may have been intended, but offence was certainly taken. Let's be adults.

Alexandria said:
Please, let's not make this into another Mary vs. Letizia thread/rehashing. And there's no need for putting out the "B" word.

A question was put out there: Which royal doesn't live up to his/her hype, and members have answered with their own feelings, whatever they are.

Everybody has a right to their own sentiments, no need to get personal or nasty by saying that people's opinons, because they differ from our own, are "bitchy." No offence may have been intended, but offence was certainly taken. Let's be adults.

Sorry you feel that way but my point stands, and I wasn't meanning to make it into another Mary vs Letizia thread but like everyone, was expressing my point of view on what I have seen & believe to be true. If I caused offence to you personally Alexandria, I find it rather hard to see how but if it's your prerogative to be offnded by my post then there is not much I can do excpect extend my apologies for the offence...

I dont recall directing the bitchy comment to any one member either. It was used with intent of executing general coversation amongst fellow contributors.

I shall correct that immediately so as to not cause further offence.

"MII"

Also, I have warmed to HRH the Princess of Asturias & hold no ill feeling toward her whatsoever!

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Sorry you feel that way but my point stands, and I wasn't meanning to make it into another Mary vs Letizia thread but like everyone, was expressing my point of view on what I have seen & believe to be true. If I caused offence to you personally Alexandria, I find it rather hard to see how but if it's your prerogative to be offnded by my post then there is not much I can do excpect extend my apologies for the offence...
Margrethe, I am offended firstly because as someone who moderates this forum of seeing thread after thread become derailed by a comparison of various royals, whether it be Mary vs. Letizia, Mary vs. Alexandra, or Rania vs. Noor or whomever. Nobody else brought up liking Letizia as a reason for believing that Mary didn't live up to the hype. The only comment about Mary in the same breath as a comment about Letizia was one about both ladies not having had sufficient time to prove themselves yet. And then you came along and decried those who mentioned Mary as being part of a "bitchy" group.

And personally, because I like Letizia, and certainly by liking her I am in no way part of some anti-Mary group or part of any conspiracy to bring her down so that Letizia can be elevated to some holier than thou status. I believe that both women will bring their own unique previous experiences to their roles as Princesses of Spain and Denmark, respectively, and represent their countries with professionalism and respect. They are princesses of two completely different countries and royal courts -- why are comparisons necessary?

Margrethe II said:
I dont recall directing the bitchy comment to any one member either. It was used with intent of executing general coversation amongst fellow contributors.
Whether the comment was directed at one member's post is beside the comment. Why is the comment necessary -- period. Why is it necessary to say that a feeling is "bitchy" simply because we don't agree with it? If you disagree that is fine, but let's not be vulgar in our expression. And what kind of "general conversation" could be had when one's viewpoints are called bitchy? Such comments only serve to raise the stakes and attacks -- all of which are unnecessary.

Margrethe II said:
Also, I have warmed to HRH the Princess of Asturias & hold no ill feeling toward her whatsoever!
So then why would fans of Letizia have any ill-feelings towards Mary? Or why would those who have suggested that Mary doesn't live up to her hype have any ill-feelings towards Mary?

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. I kind of agree about Mary. It's not what she does, it's more what she doesn't do, which is to exude a sincere warmth and interest in her role. She may be very warm and very interested in the people she meets as she does her rounds, but I don't feel it, it doesn't translate well in photographs that I see of her.

Which Royal do you think doesn't live up to the hype?

Prince William. First, I'm dying for him to assume more Royal activities and to be seen in them with his girlfriend Kate. And by that I mean it's about time they make it official.
I would like to see him not expresing his opinion in every issue (like his dad does) but more as a bridge between young people and the institution of Monarchy. Maybe it's just me but all I see of him is trailing his brother's antics and way too much on the exclusive inner circle of the British aristocracy. For me, he should be partying less and working more as a public relations agent for the monarchy.

That's why his is my choice for a Royal that doesn't live up to the hype.

Now, a Royal that has shown to be above the hype is Salma of Morroco. She is the surprise mega royal of the millenium. Brilliant, glamorous, and with a stricking personality that shows in every event she appears. I hardly knew who she was and then, like Halley's comet, she appears out of the sky and outshines everyone. My first read on her was her visit to France with the Princess speaking in different languages and not being show like an equal to her husband the king but as the perfect modern consort. She was able to do what we expected from Princess Masako of Japan years ago. And Salma deserves to be upgraded to Queen.

And on Mary and Letizia, to each it's own. Both ladies had to adapt to two ancient monarchies with two different approaches. The style of each one reflects how diferent the countries are, so they can't be any comparison. Mary and Leti and Royalty's PC and Mac computers, they are both similar and, yet, so different.

Last edited:
I have already apolgoised Alexandria so if you are still offended there is not much I can do about that & nor shall I try.

Indeed, as a moderator and administartor of this board I see where you are coming from and respect it. I brought up the Mary/Letizia subject because it is one that seems to be commonplace here at the Forums and rather than ignore it, decided to address it and hope to gain an understanding as to why those who feel this way do infact, feel this way. My approach could have probably been worded with an extra touch of subtelty but it wasn't and I have since corrected myself.

I meant no disrespect to anyone who finds Letizia more interesting than Mary, not at all. I mentioned that it's normally those who prefer Letizia (not all the time and certainly not everyone).

I agree with you 100% that both women shall bring many fine and unique qaulities to their respective roles now and in the future. Absolutely, why are comaprisons needed?...thsi is the point I was trying to make.

I have spoken with a few members of this & other Forums and without exploiting them, they to have noticed a devide. May I add that their respective interests do not lie with the Danish Royals.

Indeed, I dont think of the word 'bitchy' to be vulgar. Upfront and straight to the point, yes.

Have indaviduals cared to see why maybe Mary is looked so favourably upon in the media or in general to project such "hype" (I hardly think its hype)? What has she done to to give the impression that she isn't worthy of such support and good will?

Really, we are all making accusations from photographs. How credible can any of our thoughts be really when questions like thsi arise?

I just find it interesting that many (once again, not all) who really like Letizia are somewhat negative toward her Danish counterpart. And like I have stated, I am not the only person who has noticed this.

"MII"

On that note...

Last edited:
I agree with Toledo, but I have to add Harry to the picture, because all he cares about is drinking, Chelsy, and the military (in that order), Harry must be aware of the fact that his behavior is inappropiate for anyone, Royal or not and must change his ways...

Also, I think Madeleine must help her sister more, go to more public acts and please try not to look bored!!!

PD: guys & girls, please try to stop discussions that are unrelated to this thread for everybody's sake, thanks in advance

crisiñaki said:
I agree with Toledo, but I have to add Harry to the picture, because all he cares about is drinking, Chelsy, and the military (in that order), Harry must be aware of the fact that his behavior is inappropiate for anyone, Royal or not and must change his ways...

Also, I think Madeleine must help her sister more, go to more public acts and please try not to look bored!!!

PD: guys & girls, please try to stop discussions that are unrelated to this thread for everybody's sake, thanks in advance

My disapointment with William was when I read more information about the notorious party they attended where Harry, dumb as he is, used that symbol of hate on his arm. I did not know the other details that William knew about the costume, he and Kate were with him during the time the photo was taken and William, future heir to Britain, did nothing about it like ripping it off the moment he walked in smiling.
But those other party goers reflect the bad influence of that crowd over William. Harry and Chelsy are a ship wreck about to happen, but William should know better than that.

*Prepares for beating/yelling that shall take place*

CP Mary is a very pretty lady, but she's been a big let down. When she got married, I was very proud of her for throwing herself into her new language and culture. Ever since then, she seems to be what I'd call a "spoiled brat." She mostly does fashion shows (as opposed to other worthy causes) and she just has this way about her that I can't quite place, but still find very off-setting.

The only other person I can think of is Diana. She was lovely and she did good work, but I think she was a master manipulator of public opinion. Both she and Charles made bad decisions and it was unfortunate, but it certainly wasn't all Charles and Camilla's fault. I think Diana was over-exposed in the press and she hated it, but she also craved it because it made her martyr #1 in the public eye. She died and it was very sad, but people elevate her to a status that I think is too excessive for the person she was. No doubt, she was a great person who worked a lot, but no one ever seems to want to mention all the things that weren't so great about her.

K.....*members jump all over spiffyb* haha :)

As an American, I really don't hear anything about royals other than on these boards so I'm not a good judge of who is overhyped. The non-British royals get almost no press attention in the United States and the only event that was chronicled at all in the press was Charles' and Camilla's visit. It got some attention, mostly favorable, but it definitely wasn't overhyped.

Now thanks to all of you who post links to non-American newssources I can read things about royals that I can't do here. :) I can see a little bit of where Mary was overhyped although based on some of the silly things I read, I'm glad she hasn't lived up to her hype there. Its just plain silly what some papers write.

I think all the Crown Princesses were overhyped to a certain extent because they came from humble backgrounds (except for Mathilde) and there was an expectation that they would revolutionize the monarchies. As a traditionalist who likes royals to act like royals, I am delighted that the ladies have kept their heads and not overturned centuries-old traditions.

For me, William has turned out to be the most overhyped. He had some unrealistic expectations too; being the saviour of the British monarchy, but he's doubly disappointing because he's second in line to the throne and he still seems to be a bit aimless and not accepting of his role as heir. First he went to St. Andrews, then he decided to follow his younger brother to Sandhurst and he doesn't seem like the soldier-type so who knows how that is going to turn out. He seems more like a follower than a leader and he seems embarassed by his royal status than anything else. He seems resentful of the media attention which is understandable after what happened to his mother, but he is a public person and I just think he needs to deal with it.

ysbel said:
Now thanks to all of you who post links to non-American newssources I can read things about royals that I can't do here. :) I can see a little bit of where Mary was overhyped although based on some of the silly things I read, I'm glad she hasn't lived up to her hype there. Its just plain silly what some papers write.

I think all the Crown Princesses were overhyped to a certain extent because they came from humble backgrounds (except for Mathilde) and there was an expectation that they would revolutionize the monarchies. As a traditionalist who likes royals to act like royals, I am delighted that the ladies have kept their heads and not overturned centuries-old traditions.

For me, William has turned out to be the most overhyped. He had some unrealistic expectations too; being the saviour of the British monarchy, but he's doubly disappointing because he's second in line to the throne and he still seems to be a bit aimless and not accepting of his role as heir. First he went to St. Andrews, then he decided to follow his younger brother to Sandhurst and he doesn't seem like the soldier-type so who knows how that is going to turn out. He seems more like a follower than a leader and he seems embarassed by his royal status than anything else. He seems resentful of the media attention which is understandable after what happened to his mother, but he is a public person and I just think he needs to deal with it.

Very,Very well said Ysbel...

"MII"

I think I'm with the general consensus on Mary.

Although I'd have to disagree with Toledo, in that I find Lalla Salma ot be a bit of a let-down, I expected alot from her especially after everything I've read and yet another year has passed and in my opinion she's not really lived up to expectations.

I think Madeline's another Royal who is praised alot, for not a gret deal of reasons. She doesn't seem happy to do her Royal duties and as for her "great looks", I think she's really artificial looking.

hmmm...i think mabel is somewhat overhyped. there appeared to be a sort of "let's all love mabel now" movement going on earlier this year.some mabel apologists were arguing that despite the past scandals she will become a great asset to the royal family because of her brains and her high profile job.

i think thats kind of come up empty. most people have realized that 'yes indeed we still dont like mabel no matter how smart she is."

I will have to vote for William who is hailed as the hope of the monarchy. Till now there isn't a single extra ordinary trait he is shown that proves that he will be a better leader than his father yet people go on and on about him replacing his father. I am not fond of some of the decisions Charles has taken in his personal life but to say that Charles is incompetent because of his failure in his first marriage is really unfair. He might be an emotional fool as some believe him to be but overall I have more faith in him at this moment because of his experience of almost 4 decades as POW and his work than in William who is doing very little and is instead enjoying the extended popularity of his late mother and his father's attempts to give him a private life away from the media.

And as many have pointed out just what happened in the costume party? Was he not able to think of the consequence of the symbol or was he so in the party that he failed to notice what Harry had up his sleeve. Forget him as a leader, I wouldn't want him as an elder sibling.

I've been lurking around the boards for awhile and then joined but haven't had time to post for the holidays.

As an American we mostly get news about British royals but stemming from what I've seen and read on this board I'd say CP Mary and mostly because I agree with royalwatcher. She doesn't exude warmth to me (my opinion of course) in pictures and seems distant. That being said, my take on everything is with limited knowledge as we don't get much royal news over here.

If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century. She managed to hide a self-indulgent, willfull, vindictive personality underneath frills and a sweet smile. Unbelievable how she got so many people to fall for it.

Little_star said:
I think I'm with the general consensus on Mary.

Although I'd have to disagree with Toledo, in that I find Lalla Salma ot be a bit of a let-down, I expected alot from her especially after everything I've read and yet another year has passed and in my opinion she's not really lived up to expectations.

I think Madeline's another Royal who is praised alot, for not a gret deal of reasons. She doesn't seem happy to do her Royal duties and as for her "great looks", I think she's really artificial looking.

Well, I have to admit to you that I don't know much about Lalla Salma, I'm just bewitched by her looks and when that happens a man's brain stops to reason :eek:.

But I hope she gets upgraded to Queen the way Farah was made Empress of Iran by her husband, the Shah. That will be the deal breaker between past and present in her country and probably many women in Morroco will follow her lead to be more prominent in politics.

On Princess Mary: there were more expectations made than what she, or anyone in her position, could ever accomplish. When the time comes and she becomes Queen Consort she will have more ability to make herself more noticeable beyond the glossy magazine covers and superficial papparazi tales. In the meantime, she is in somebody's timeline, the real star of Denmark is Queen Margrethe, anyone else will just have to wait their turn. In a Broadway play, it will be Margrethe's name above the title, the rest is just her supporting cast.

Last edited:
Esmeralda said:
If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century. She managed to hide a self-indulgent, willfull, vindictive personality underneath frills and a sweet smile. Unbelievable how she got so many people to fall for it.

I agree with your basic premise but i think you're going a bit far. the image of her as this cuddly everybody's grandmother type is innacurate. but she worked very hard even to the end of her long life, carried herself with great dignity and did her job remarkably well. she deserves a lot of respect for that and i think britons were right to be proud of her, though i certainly agree that she was not nearly so warm and friendly as she was made out to be.

JennMod said:
I'd say CP Mary and mostly because I agree with royalwatcher. She doesn't exude warmth to me (my opinion of course) in pictures and seems distant.

I'd agree with you except I don't think that the hype around Mary is that she is a wonderfully warm and approachable person.

The hype I've read is that she is some sort of Superwoman princess, doing things that others can't. The Can't Stop Mary syndrome because she's always off to a bigger and better challenge. I haven't read everything about Mary, of course, but I haven't come across a newstory about Mary being ultra warm and fuzzy.

It doesn't bother me because I don't need a princess to be ultra warm and fuzzy. A little distant elegance is OK in my book.

If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century

If anything, she was the most successful. She hardly said a word since 1945 and yet the public had unconditional love for her.

"Well, I have to admit to you that I don't know much about Lalla Salma, I'm just bewitched by her looks and when that happens a man's brain stops to reason :eek:.

But I hope she gets upgraded to Queen the way Farah was made Empress of Iran by her husband, the Shah. That will be the deal breaker between past and present in her country and probably many women in Morroco will follow her lead to be more prominent in politics."

If she were made Queen it may lead to an improvement (in my opinion) but to a certain degree I think that might actually be more of a problem. She just comes across as someone who is completely disinterested in her position so her current title probably suits her best. As for her appearance I've always thought her quite plain.

"My first read on her was her visit to France with the Princess speaking in different languages"
Was she speaking French? As in all fairness French is widely spoken in morocco and other North African countires like Tunisia and Algeria because of their colonial past.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Crownprincess Mary, not because I do not like her but simply because the hype seems to be to big & I do not see what all the fuss is about (I am more impressed by other crownprincess, although I know she -and Letizia- did not have that much time to prove herself yet).
I kinda agree especially when Mary stated that she doesnt want to leave her baby under nannys care..I think its a bit unrealistic considering the fact that shes a very busy working royal not a commoner anymore..

BeatrixFan said:
If anything, she was the most successful. She hardly said a word since 1945 and yet the public had unconditional love for her.
That's always fascinated me, and a lot of other people too I'm sure. I guess everything she said before that endeared her to everyone?

ysbel said:
I'd agree with you except I don't think that the hype around Mary is that she is a wonderfully warm and approachable person.

The hype I've read is that she is some sort of Superwoman princess, doing things that others can't. The Can't Stop Mary syndrome because she's always off to a bigger and better challenge. I haven't read everything about Mary, of course, but I haven't come across a newstory about Mary being ultra warm and fuzzy.

It doesn't bother me because I don't need a princess to be ultra warm and fuzzy. A little distant elegance is OK in my book.
When Mary and Frederik where in Australia, the media raved for weeks and weeks about how down to earth normal and approachable they were.I think the media often just say what people want to hear. I'm not saying they aren't(i didn't meet them)

Aussie Princess said:

When Mary and Frederik where in Australia, the media raved for weeks and weeks about how down to earth normal and approachable they were.I think the media often just say what people want to hear. I'm not saying they aren't(i didn't meet them)

Ah I didn't see those stories. Yes some of the stories about Mary have been ridiculous to say the least. As I said, we Americans don't get too much info on the non-British royals.

IMHO, the whole fairytale aspect of these commoners marrying crown princesses has been way overblown. I mean what self-respecting down-to-earth simple approachable girl is going to want to marry a crown prince with all the baggage the position carries with it? The attention is relentless and everybody wants you for something.

Mette-Marit and Camilla fall into that simple down-to-earth category but I don't think Camilla really ever wanted to marry her man, she had to in order to keep him and Mette-Marit also seems ambivalent about her position as crown princess. In family photos, Martha-Louise still seems to take center stage. Lately I've noticed more that Mette-Marit seems uncomfortable in her role.

That's not what I would say is a best case scenario. Ideally we all want to marry for love but hopefully not at the price of marrying into a position that is foreign or uncomfortable to one's nature. The position of royalty is remote by nature not only by tradition but by having to guard against the ever increasingly aggressive paparazzi.

I don't fault Mary or any of the other crown princesses for acting remote. It's part of the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom