The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I'm not sure exactly what it is you mean here Aurora. In Australia, the term 'very easy' holds strong connotations of being overtly open to acts of a sexual nature.

Haha...A fencing match between Elizabeth & Margrethe...now that would be an interesting sight.lol.
Yikes! No, I didn't mean that at all. I understand though I have a bad habit of trying to make my point "stronger" by adding the word "very" in front of another word. In America we have that term too "very easy" to describe a girl in that manner. But in this case that wasn't meant at all. I just meant she had a "girl next door" look that must have made it "simple" to transform her into the princess we now see. I have gone back and corrected that confusing part so there isn't any additional confusion. Sorry everybody!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Yikes! No I didn't mean that at all. I understand though I have a bad habit of trying to make my point "stronger" by adding the word "very" in front. In America we have that term too "very easy" to describe a girl in that manner. But in this case that wasn't meant at all. I just meant she had a "girl next door" look that must have made it "very easy" or "simple" to transform her into the princess we now see.
Thank you for your response, Aurora

Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
But the press coverage has only been (to the greater extent) large in Australia and Denmark. Sweden and Norway of course take an interest too some extent.

Like Gracia, Princesse de Monaco or Wallis, Duchess of Windsor...I know that the hype (or interest) surrounding these two ladies in the States was enormous And that really was 'hype', in the true sense of the wold.
That's true Madame Royale. Actually when I wrote about the American exuberance I was thinking about the overexcitement in the U.S. around Grace Kelly's wedding and anything to do with her family.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Madame Royale, with all due respect, I believe you are reading into things a bit.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Madame Royale, with all due respect, I believe you are reading into things a bit.
I read what I see Glittering Tiaras..I thought it was something we all did (respectively).

Judging by your response I take it that that is not what you intended to mean and again, all I hoped for was a clarification. And you obliged.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
That's true Madame Royale. Actually when I wrote about the American exuberance I was thinking about the overexcitement in the U.S. around Grace Kelly's wedding and anything to do with her family.
Actually I think even to this day. There's still a lot of interest in the Monaco RF here in America. Granted I'm sure it's nothing like it was years ago when the marriage first took place. But I've seen local news reports on things going on in the RF from time to time. Princess Caroline was even on a national birthday list last year. You know how at the end of entertainment shows/news they mention celeb b-days.(Just wanted to explain that in case it was needed) Anyways I was a little surprised to see her listed. And also Prince Albert was on Larry King Live on CNN during one of his trips to NY. That episode aired only months after Rainier's passing. So they are still generating interest.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Commoner

Personally I don't understand how people can justify not liking a Crown princess. Firstly do you know them personally?...No
have you ever been in their position?...No......How would you react constantly knowing that theres a camera somewhere ready to take a picture of you, and that every single move you make is watched and critised by a celebrity hungry public, who want them to live up to some unrealistic image. They are judged by the media, paparazzi and the public who follow Royalty on what they wear, whats on their heads, who they date, how much make up they have on etc. and not on the Actions that they perform which is more then often overlooked or completely ignored. Personally I think that every Crown Princess does her job extremley well and represents their respective countries with the best of their ability. And its the media that builds up the hype surrounding these women and the guliable public that belive everything the read , hear or see on TV which creates arguments like, Letiza is better then Mary or Victoria is better then Maxima which of course is complete rubbish.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Gentry

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo
Personally I don't understand how people can justify not liking a Crown princess. Firstly do you know them personally?...No
have you ever been in their position?...No......How would you react constantly knowing that theres a camera somewhere ready to take a picture of you, and that every single move you make is watched and critised by a celebrity hungry public, who want them to live up to some unrealistic image. They are judged by the media, paparazzi and the public who follow Royalty on what they wear, whats on their heads, who they date, how much make up they have on etc. and not on the Actions that they perform which is more then often overlooked or completely ignored. Personally I think that every Crown Princess does her job extremley well and represents their respective countries with the best of their ability. And its the media that builds up the hype surrounding these women and the guliable public that belive everything the read , hear or see on TV which creates arguments like, Letiza is better then Mary or Victoria is better then Maxima which of course is complete rubbish.
There are several reasons why I think people are so critical of modern royals and these are a few in no order of importance:

a. They want to be royal and maintain all those benefits and yet want to be like members of middle society (marry commoners - they could always renounce their rights to the throne and the $$$$).
b. They live off the state and/or trade on their name (and yes people from wealthy families can do the same, but they earned their money or at least inherited it.
c. Confuse celebrity with duty.
d. Play no role whatsoever in world events.

At least with royals of earlier times, criticisms a and d and arguably c would not have applied.

The study of royalty between 1800 to 1945 is more historically relevant than the years after.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
and her lazy husband! c'mon Frederik! you're going to be King someday..might as well do some task instead of sailing and attending bachelor parties!!!
Frederik might be lazy in public, but you have no idea what he does behind closed doors.Come on, saying he only sails and attends bachelor parties is an exageration.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
i think she should stop all those fashon engagements. it does not make any sense...
Sorry, may I again be allowed to express my intense dislike of this - IMO - totally misjudged view?
If you have problems seeing the fashion industry as one of the biggest money-making industries, just try substitute clothes with, say fish! That was one of the biggest Danish industries pre the Danish EU membership. And voila - you have a perfect understanding that the royal members support the most important money- making areas in Denmark. If one actually checks out the underlying reason - it all makes beautiful sense.

But tell me, how many fashion-events have you actually seen Mary at this year? How many have the others Cpss been at? What are your feelings about e.g. seeing CPss at the recent Norwegian fashion events. There were pics at e.g. Hellomagazine.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

A wonderful point UserDane

Denmark is fast becoming a world Mecca for fashion and this industry shall only continue to thrive and produce gross economic affluence.

To have the Crown Princess endorse the national industry is exactly what's needed. What better way to export the industry than with the support of the second most important lady in the land?

Those who criticize the Crown Princess' role as patroness have not taken the time to understand how important this industry is to Denmark and that as future Queen it is Mary's obligation to support this industry to the best she can.

And the Crown Princess has only attended one fashion related engagement so far this year...as I'm sure you know
Old 02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Madame Royale and UserDane. The complaint of Mary attending too many fashion shows is just not legitimate in my opinion. Some continue to use this against her when its just simply not true. Fashion is very important in Denmark, obviously, it is so clear to see.

I see it very telling how some can so easily overlook Mary's other patronages such as the Heart foundation etc and turn a blind eye to them and go on about her over exposure to the Danish fashion world (which obviously gets more media coverage then the Heart foundation etc)

Its easy......Fashion is huge in Denmark.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
The Danes have always been masters at public relations. I would venture to say (and a real Dane may come by and totally refute everything I say ) but I see a certain superficiality of Danish culture, where everything is planned to to make a grand entrance. This is not meant as a criticism; I admire it, I'm just too intense to pull it off.

I find the Danish intellectualism is more brilliant rather than deep. It is the type of brilliance that was seen in the witty salons of the French Empire rather than the dingy classrooms of schools and universities.

If they can pull it off, great! Its very fun and entertaining.
Gee - thanks ...I think. Even though a 'certain superficiality of Danish culture' is not meant as a criticism, it is hardly an impression that is appreciated.

Danes are known to be sarcastic/ironic (call it witty if you like); it has been something that e.g. Alexandra commented on as a difficult point by learning Danish - 'they' say one thing but the irony/sarcasm really means something different.
But does that exclude deeper intellectualism at schools and universities? Is there anything that indicates that the intellectual level of the activites carried out at universities and in research in Denmark is marked by surface lustre and brilliance - but lacks depth? I would genuinely be interested in learning why non-Danes would perceive our intellectual milieu as less deep than other countries'! Which areas of 'culture' makes great entrances? And how are they greater than other countries'?

Has this 'brilliance' impression only something to do with the present regent (this is a royal board after all)? She's tall, has a certain posture - and looks regal with her jewellery on. She is many things - but not pretty little thing. If she were shortish and plumb she may not have been able to 'make an entrance' the way she can now (then she might have been off the great entrance hook ) She has also held some great parties and recently a great wedding - but doesn't other royal families celebrate similar events. We have fancy New Year's courts - but we have dull Parliaments openings compared to other royal houses - not much to pull of there! We have in recent years had a royal death, a royal divorce and a royal wedding. Events that triggers interest - and the display of all the pomp and traditions that are connected with any royal house.
In 7 or 8 years' time, Frederik and Mary have probably had the children they want, they have become older and not so much in the limelight; Margrethe and Henrik may have become too old to hold great birthday parties. Will Danish culture then regain some of it's cultural and intellectual depth? And what if e.g. the Swedish young royals start getting married and have children with all the interest, speculation and pictures of royal splendour that triggers off - will Swedish culture then loose it's depth in the eyes of the world that seems to get a lot of this type of news from Sweden? And what when William of GB gets married? Will the interest in great events, big parties and entrances and royal splendour that this event will certainly trigger then mean that British culture will be on a downward spiral?

Finally - re the general claim that Danish DRF are masters at PR - that is a bit funny IMO. Since the wedding they have hired a press officer - Lis Frederiksen. If the office she runs is excellent at what they do - the other royal houses' press offices must be really really poor at their job. I have never liked Lis Frederiksen and her way of handling publicity for the DRF and it is not my impression that the is particularly liked by the media here either. She is heavy-handed and too often appears condescending in her dealings with the public.
So to round this off - I simply don't understand what gave you this impression when - not only you Ysbel - but other posters as well keep discussing the DRF as master planners of publicity.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Courtier

There is a over hype about the Monaco royal family because of American actress Grace Kelly and still very interseted in the turn out with her children and grandchildren another overhype is Prince William and Harry I like those guys but it too much hype about them too and the rest of the British royal family. Those two royal families are the most watched and talked about out of all the other royal families in the world.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I know there are polls about the "Best" and "Most Disappointing" Royal, but which Royal do you think least lives up to the hype surrounding them and why?
I don't know about the glamour (?) expectations toward many royals but my vote would go, in a positive way, to the Liechtenstein's clan. Not only they are extremely low profile but they avoid the scandals their counterparts get themselves into every step they take. Maybe because none of the Liechtentein's has married celebrity people or high profile tabloid royals?
They could be disapointing, in tabloids terms, but whatever they do to stay off the press seems to be the best example on how to be royal, rich and not infamous.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Ohhh UserDane you talk like a tru Dane.Just because we are a small nation it dosn┤t mean that we are that less educate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
Gee - thanks ...I think. Even though a 'certain superficiality of Danish culture' is not meant as a criticism, it is hardly an impression that is appreciated.

Danes are known to be sarcastic/ironic (call it witty if you like); it has been something that e.g. Alexandra commented on as a difficult point by learning Danish - 'they' say one thing but the irony/sarcasm really means something different.
But does that exclude deeper intellectualism at schools and universities? Is there anything that indicates that the intellectual level of the activites carried out at universities and in research in Denmark is marked by surface lustre and brilliance - but lacks depth? I would genuinely be interested in learning why non-Danes would perceive our intellectual milieu as less deep than other countries'! Which areas of 'culture' makes great entrances? And how are they greater than other countries'?

Has this 'brilliance' impression only something to do with the present regent (this is a royal board after all)? She's tall, has a certain posture - and looks regal with her jewellery on. She is many things - but not pretty little thing. If she were shortish and plumb she may not have been able to 'make an entrance' the way she can now (then she might have been off the great entrance hook ) She has also held some great parties and recently a great wedding - but doesn't other royal families celebrate similar events. We have fancy New Year's courts - but we have dull Parliaments openings compared to other royal houses - not much to pull of there! We have in recent years had a royal death, a royal divorce and a royal wedding. Events that triggers interest - and the display of all the pomp and traditions that are connected with any royal house.
In 7 or 8 years' time, Frederik and Mary have probably had the children they want, they have become older and not so much in the limelight; Margrethe and Henrik may have become too old to hold great birthday parties. Will Danish culture then regain some of it's cultural and intellectual depth? And what if e.g. the Swedish young royals start getting married and have children with all the interest, speculation and pictures of royal splendour that triggers off - will Swedish culture then loose it's depth in the eyes of the world that seems to get a lot of this type of news from Sweden? And what when William of GB gets married? Will the interest in great events, big parties and entrances and royal splendour that this event will certainly trigger then mean that British culture will be on a downward spiral?

Finally - re the general claim that Danish DRF are masters at PR - that is a bit funny IMO. Since the wedding they have hired a press officer - Lis Frederiksen. If the office she runs is excellent at what they do - the other royal houses' press offices must be really really poor at their job. I have never liked Lis Frederiksen and her way of handling publicity for the DRF and it is not my impression that the is particularly liked by the media here either. She is heavy-handed and too often appears condescending in her dealings with the public.
So to round this off - I simply don't understand what gave you this impression when - not only you Ysbel - but other posters as well keep discussing the DRF as master planners of publicity.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Seriously, I find Danes to be exceptional people..like the 'Australian's' of the north actually Or are we the 'Danes' of the south?

I dont think ysbel meant to insult anyone, just wanted to express her opinion on the DRF PR.

I think the DRF PR to be one of the best, or so it has always seemed to me. Their love of pomp and cirumstance is wonderful and they are very much like the British in that they like to maintain their traditions (talking about the royal family).
Old 02-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

Just to clarify - I don't think that Ysbel meant it as an insult either - I just don't agree on all points (but I'm sure Lis Henriksen would be thrilled - perhaps even smile?? if she knew that she and her colleagues are perceived as such PR master minds )
Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

No worries UD.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Courtier

Great posts Userdane and Madame Royale. Agreeing completely.