The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Nobility

My question is why do any of these people have to live up to the hype? The press created it not them . They do what they do as royals and they have rules to follow and adhere to. I think the press and the public place their wants on them as example letizia people seem to blame her for not being out there changing and doing things . I simply beleive she is following what she is told and has no choice. Royalty has existed for years I think peoples expectations are great but to me the royals have their own way and it will not change for the new. It is built on old tradition and rules.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanfan
It almost seems like Frederik thinks that because he has a pretty and popular wife, he doesn't have to do anything himself.
That dooes make you think dosen't it? Will Mary be the driving force when Frederik takes he throne sometimes it happens that way.I agree he eem less involved from what I have see compared to CP's Felipe or Hakkon for example.I think Maxima is ovehyped -not that I have a major problem with her I just don't think anyone can live up to all that hype.
William and Harry are young still I wouldn't expect them to carry on alot of royal duties are be married just yet.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
While Phillipppe has grown up in the public eye, too...
Euh.... apparently not many Belgians do agree with you on this. Prince Philippe is more than ever ciriticized and seen as a clumsy dumbo....
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda

She didn't wear a skirt under her coat-dress and when she walked down the middleway in the church and sat down
you could see her legs up to her hips. I was expecting to see her underwear any moment.
I saw it on the Norwegian television and was quite shocked.
I don't think I have ever seen anything like that at a royal occasion.
And that woman is supposed to be so classy.
Sexy she was, but certainly not classy.
Add to all that the fact that she is now "shacked up" with a photographer 13 years her junior who she met when he came to her home to photograph her husband and that once she is married to him they intend living in the house her ex-husband payed for!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Courtier

over-hyped? I think it's Mary..at first i like her but now i don't see anything special or the "wow" factor for me except for her sense of style . and her lazy husband! c'mon Frederik! you're going to be King someday..might as well do some task instead of sailing and attending bachelor parties!!! i'd say i'm very dissapointed in William too.. very few engagements...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

and that once she is married to him they intend living in the house her ex-husband payed for!

So what is the problem? It is quite normal for divorcées, who remarry, to live in the home they once shared with their ex-husbands or the home which was provided for them upon their divorce. There is nothing out of the norm in this type of scenario.

Moving back on topic.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
over-hyped? I think it's Mary..at first i like her but now i don't see anything special or the "wow" factor for me except for her sense of style . and her lazy husband! c'mon Frederik! you're going to be King someday..might as well do some task instead of sailing and attending bachelor parties!!!
I completely agree with you. It seems that Frederik is still a big kid. Though I think it's great that Mary is doing more than her husband I find the things she chooses to do a little weird. Her ideas most of the time are not her ideas it's borrowed from Australia.

I have to say on another note I think the entire Danish RF is a little over-hyped. It really bothers me about Alexandra's popularity even after her divorce. Then the way that Mary's popularity has gone while Fred is off in Key West or somewhere else doing non royal duties. All I have to say is that the DRF must have an amazing publilc relations staff. I don't know but for me I prefer the RF's that are doing things and trying to make a difference and are more real. In Denmark it seems to be too much about a fairytale. This is real life, real people...I'm over wanting a fairytale.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Courtier

Ok, I've been looking at this thread for a while now, but am just now brave enough to post in it. lol

William: Why? Because I think he doesn't do enough for the Royal Family. Sure he goes on a couple of engagements here and there, but come on, do we really see him go out there like a future heir should? NO When we do see him in public eye, it's either at a nightclub or a polo match. Enough already. If I mention William, then I must mention Harry too. But in his case, he can partially be excused, since he will most likely never reign. No offense intended.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae
Ok, I've been looking at this thread for a while now, but am just now brave enough to post in it. lol

William: Why? Because I think he doesn't do enough for the Royal Family. Sure he goes on a couple of engagements here and there, but come on, do we really see him go out there like a future heir should? NO When we do see him in public eye, it's either at a nightclub or a polo match. Enough already. If I mention William, then I must mention Harry too. But in his case, he can partially be excused, since he will most likely never reign. No offense intended.
I agree I do think the British princes should do more official engagements. However, I have a theory as far as why they don't. They are the grandchildren of the current queen. Felipe, Fred, Philippe, Victoria, Haakon, Willem(hopefully I didn't forget anyone) are all the children of the current King or Queen. The line of succession as it stands right now is Charles then William. I don't know I could be way off but it seems just a little different for William at this point.

However, I completely understand it's getting annoying to open magazines and continue seeing photos of William at a club or on vacation. Here in America I've seen a lot of vacation photos of him in recent months.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae

I think William's and Harry's lack of engagements stem from their fulltime Army career. The public engagements are additional hours on top of their full time job.

I was disappointed in William because he was billed as the savior of the British monarchy and I got the sense that he really didn't want the crown but in the last few months, he looks to be sorting himself out - getting into his career, getting more serious with his girlfriend. So he's more purposeful.

But he's still young so time will tell.

I also think Americans are noticing the extra vacation time because Europeans get more than we do. At least they did when I lived in Europe. In England people got 5 weeks paid vacation whereas the Americans got only 2 to 3 if we were lucky.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Commoner

I am not a particular fan of any of the CPs. Mary,I feel is studied and artificial,and you never never see the real Mary.I admire her drive,for she got what she set her sights on,but now the role is somewhat overwhelming.I think Letizia is more spontaneous and less inclined to play a part. I like Maxima for her spontaneity,and I think the Netherlands people have warmed to this. She isn't afraid to appear with her hair out of place and less than perfect makeup,and that takes confidence. Likewise Mathilde. Mette Meritt,I don't know much about as she rarely appears.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Her ideas most of the time are not her ideas it's borrowed from Australia.
That is very much an inaccurate observation.

There is notably only one idea which Mary has primarily aimed at contributing to Danish society which originated in Australia. To say that most of her ideas are reflective, first and foremost of her homeland is not correct.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani
I am not a particular fan of any of the CPs. Mary,I feel is studied and artificial,and you never never see the real Mary.I admire her drive,for she got what she set her sights on,but now the role is somewhat overwhelming.I think Letizia is more spontaneous and less inclined to play a part. I like Maxima for her spontaneity,and I think the Netherlands people have warmed to this. She isn't afraid to appear with her hair out of place and less than perfect makeup,and that takes confidence. Likewise Mathilde. Mette Meritt,I don't know much about as she rarely appears.
Since you're not a fan of any of the crown princesses, how do you think the Crown Princesses don't live up to their hype? For example, Maxima and Letizia and Mathilde?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
That is very much an inaccurate observation.

There is notably only one idea which Mary has primarily aimed at contributing to Danish society which originated in Australia. To say that most of her ideas are reflective, first and foremost of her homeland is not correct.
Well, I admit I could've explained that better. But I don't think any of Mary's ideas come from Mary, that's my main point. The Danish RF appears to have a very deliberate way of how Mary is to be perceived and what things she is to be involved with. And in my observation many of what Mary does always seems to be a direct link to something in Australia. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's bound to happen when one uproots her life to come to a completely different country. I don't think I'm explaining this well and my intent is not to offend or hurt feelings. It's just that what Mary is about I'm not buying it. It just feels too fake to me and like there's some weird pact between the Danes and the Australians. Maybe it's not really Mary it's more the people that are behind Mary and the DRF helping them keep their status. Like I said before the public relations team for the DRF is quite amazing.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Danes have always been masters at public relations. I would venture to say (and a real Dane may come by and totally refute everything I say ) but I see a certain superficiality of Danish culture, where everything is planned to to make a grand entrance. This is not meant as a criticism; I admire it, I'm just too intense to pull it off.

I find the Danish intellectualism is more brilliant rather than deep. It is the type of brilliance that was seen in the witty salons of the French Empire rather than the dingy classrooms of schools and universities.

If they can pull it off, great! Its very fun and entertaining.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But I don't think any of Mary's ideas come from Mary
And you shall be pressed to find any royal consort who patrons an organisation which they themselves started through their own (singular) ideology.
Quote:
And in my observation many of what Mary does always seems to be a direct link to something in Australia.
Could you elaborate on the many things that Mary does which adequately reflects this?

Quote:
It just feels too fake to me and like there's some weird pact between the Danes and the Australians.
Phony images and secretive pacts?.lol. Fair enough

Quote:
Like I said before the public relations team for the DRF is quite amazing
That it is, and one of the most successful PR teams to date
Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Mary is from Australia. She loves Australia. She's Crown Princess of Denmark. She really likes Denmark. Can't she have both? If she did everything possible to turn her back on Australia, then I, for one, would respect her less. However, she seems to know that her first dedication, 'professionally', is to Denmark, and she seems to have done a great job (as a non-Dane, this is my opinion). I actually think her being Australian is an asset for her. Someone just posted in the CP Mary Current Events thread that Mary is an estimated 12 billion dollar (or Euro, or pound, I don't remember) asset to the DRF. Interest in her has increased international focus on the DRF, and Denmark in general. Danish tourism has increased since her engagement, particularly, significantly, Australian tourism in Denmark. She also gets more publicity on her causes than many others. For example, her bullying effort- it's a great program, but because of Mary, even those of us in "royal-free" USA get to hear about it, and the ideas behind it. If she can somehow do her part, and get more attention to her causes, get more donations to her causes, maybe one more child will be saved from bullying or from losing a parent to heart disease. And that one child will live a better, happier life. Isn't that enough?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, that is enough LadyK. I know Mary is doing some great things. And all the thanks needs to go to the DRF's PR staff. I really think they worked night and day to make sure that the Danish people really accepted Mary and that Mary had great programs to work with. It has profited both countries. I'm sure the DRF wanted to make sure their was nothing negative that came out of Fred marrying a non-Dane.

Hey, Madame Royale, are we okay with what we were discussing I certainly don't want to make any enemies at the forums.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Sorry Aurora810- I didn't mean to attack you. I'm just a Mary-fan. I really want people to speak up, no matter what they think- if everyone agreed with me, it sure would be dull.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Sorry Aurora810- I didn't mean to attack you. I'm just a Mary-fan. I really want people to speak up, no matter what they think- if everyone agreed with me, it sure would be dull.
Oh, I never thought you were attacking me. If you got that from my opening sentence I didn't mean for that to be thought. I just used your question "Isn't that enough?" And then responded "that is enough". Meaning I understand all that Mary does and it is enough that thru her voice and the programs that she supports a child or parent can be saved. I didn't mean to be confusing. I love that we can all discuss different things about Mary. And look the DRF's PR team has worked just look at how much we have all discussed Mary in just the last few hours.