Which Royal Doesn't Live Up To The Hype?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a particular fan of any of the CPs. Mary,I feel is studied and artificial,and you never never see the real Mary.I admire her drive,for she got what she set her sights on,but now the role is somewhat overwhelming.I think Letizia is more spontaneous and less inclined to play a part. I like Maxima for her spontaneity,and I think the Netherlands people have warmed to this. She isn't afraid to appear with her hair out of place and less than perfect makeup,and that takes confidence. Likewise Mathilde. Mette Meritt,I don't know much about as she rarely appears.

Aurora810 said:
Her ideas most of the time are not her ideas it's borrowed from Australia.

That is very much an inaccurate observation.

There is notably only one idea which Mary has primarily aimed at contributing to Danish society which originated in Australia. To say that most of her ideas are reflective, first and foremost of her homeland is not correct.

Last edited:
rani said:
I am not a particular fan of any of the CPs. Mary,I feel is studied and artificial,and you never never see the real Mary.I admire her drive,for she got what she set her sights on,but now the role is somewhat overwhelming.I think Letizia is more spontaneous and less inclined to play a part. I like Maxima for her spontaneity,and I think the Netherlands people have warmed to this. She isn't afraid to appear with her hair out of place and less than perfect makeup,and that takes confidence. Likewise Mathilde. Mette Meritt,I don't know much about as she rarely appears.

Since you're not a fan of any of the crown princesses, how do you think the Crown Princesses don't live up to their hype? For example, Maxima and Letizia and Mathilde?

Madame Royale said:
That is very much an inaccurate observation.

There is notably only one idea which Mary has primarily aimed at contributing to Danish society which originated in Australia. To say that most of her ideas are reflective, first and foremost of her homeland is not correct.

Well, I admit I could've explained that better. But I don't think any of Mary's ideas come from Mary, that's my main point. The Danish RF appears to have a very deliberate way of how Mary is to be perceived and what things she is to be involved with. And in my observation many of what Mary does always seems to be a direct link to something in Australia. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's bound to happen when one uproots her life to come to a completely different country. I don't think I'm explaining this well and my intent is not to offend or hurt feelings. It's just that what Mary is about I'm not buying it. It just feels too fake to me and like there's some weird pact between the Danes and the Australians. Maybe it's not really Mary it's more the people that are behind Mary and the DRF helping them keep their status. Like I said before the public relations team for the DRF is quite amazing. ;)

The Danes have always been masters at public relations. I would venture to say (and a real Dane may come by and totally refute everything I say ;) ) but I see a certain superficiality of Danish culture, where everything is planned to to make a grand entrance. This is not meant as a criticism; I admire it, I'm just too intense to pull it off.

I find the Danish intellectualism is more brilliant rather than deep. It is the type of brilliance that was seen in the witty salons of the French Empire rather than the dingy classrooms of schools and universities.

If they can pull it off, great! Its very fun and entertaining.

But I don't think any of Mary's ideas come from Mary

And you shall be pressed to find any royal consort who patrons an organisation which they themselves started through their own (singular) ideology.
And in my observation many of what Mary does always seems to be a direct link to something in Australia.

Could you elaborate on the many things that Mary does which adequately reflects this?

It just feels too fake to me and like there's some weird pact between the Danes and the Australians.

Phony images and secretive pacts?.lol. Fair enough ;)

Like I said before the public relations team for the DRF is quite amazing

That it is, and one of the most successful PR teams to date :)

Mary is from Australia. She loves Australia. She's Crown Princess of Denmark. She really likes Denmark. Can't she have both? If she did everything possible to turn her back on Australia, then I, for one, would respect her less. However, she seems to know that her first dedication, 'professionally', is to Denmark, and she seems to have done a great job (as a non-Dane, this is my opinion). I actually think her being Australian is an asset for her. Someone just posted in the CP Mary Current Events thread that Mary is an estimated 12 billion dollar (or Euro, or pound, I don't remember) asset to the DRF. Interest in her has increased international focus on the DRF, and Denmark in general. Danish tourism has increased since her engagement, particularly, significantly, Australian tourism in Denmark. She also gets more publicity on her causes than many others. For example, her bullying effort- it's a great program, but because of Mary, even those of us in "royal-free" USA get to hear about it, and the ideas behind it. If she can somehow do her part, and get more attention to her causes, get more donations to her causes, maybe one more child will be saved from bullying or from losing a parent to heart disease. And that one child will live a better, happier life. Isn't that enough?

Last edited:
Yes, that is enough LadyK. I know Mary is doing some great things. And all the thanks needs to go to the DRF's PR staff. I really think they worked night and day to make sure that the Danish people really accepted Mary and that Mary had great programs to work with. It has profited both countries. I'm sure the DRF wanted to make sure their was nothing negative that came out of Fred marrying a non-Dane.

Hey, Madame Royale, are we okay with what we were discussing I certainly don't want to make any enemies at the forums.

Sorry Aurora810- I didn't mean to attack you. I'm just a Mary-fan. I really want people to speak up, no matter what they think- if everyone agreed with me, it sure would be dull.

LadyK said:
Sorry Aurora810- I didn't mean to attack you. I'm just a Mary-fan. I really want people to speak up, no matter what they think- if everyone agreed with me, it sure would be dull.

Oh, I never thought you were attacking me. If you got that from my opening sentence I didn't mean for that to be thought. I just used your question "Isn't that enough?" And then responded "that is enough". Meaning I understand all that Mary does and it is enough that thru her voice and the programs that she supports a child or parent can be saved. I didn't mean to be confusing. I love that we can all discuss different things about Mary. And look the DRF's PR team has worked just look at how much we have all discussed Mary in just the last few hours.:ROFLMAO:

I for one agree with you LadyK. It is alright to have your own opinions. After all, that is why these types of forums exist. I think Mary is doing a great job at being CP. I always say, don't critisize someone until you've walked in their shoes. I know, none of us will ever be CPs but we will move to different countries, just as Mary has done. What will we do when we do move? Forget all that is back in our birth country? NO. Mary has done well. But I would like to know Aurora810, what kind of link is there between Mary and Australia? No offense intended.

One more thing: I don't want people to think that I don't like Mary. I don't even actually know her so I can't say I don't like her. My only real complaint is the way that the DRF has "advertised" Mary. I realize the word advertise might not be the best but I hope people understand my intent. My hope for Mary is that she will continue to make both of her countries proud. She's in a very privileged position and I hope she uses it the right way. It just seems that one concern of the DRF's should be for her to not become overused image-wise and make sure that her image fits well with what she's doing. Example, the new haircut.

ZandraRae said:
I for one agree with you LadyK. It is alright to have your own opinions. After all, that is why these types of forums exist. I think Mary is doing a great job at being CP. I always say, don't critisize someone until you've walked in their shoes. I know, none of us will ever be CPs but we will move to different countries, just as Mary has done. What will we do when we do move? Forget all that is back in our birth country? NO. Mary has done well. But I would like to know Aurora810, what kind of link is there between Mary and Australia? No offense intended.
Well, I meant exactly what you already said. I wouldn't expect for her to forget everything from her homeland. I sure wouldn't, even moving from one part of the U.S. to another I didn't forget my hometown and I drove all over at times just trying to find similar food to what I was used to. It's a natural link that one has to their home country, city, town, or whatever. It's natural!

I guess when I was writing originally I was thinking about the other royals that have married into royal families. I just have never seen such fanfare as I've witnessed for Fred and Mary. Maxima visits her homeland I've never noticed such fanfare. Yes, I'm sure she's the talk of the country when she's there but it just seems different than it has been with Mary.

Mary isn't the first or the only member of a royal family that is from a foreign country. As far as what I've seen it's just been very different for Mary and Fred. Maybe it's because in Australia they are used to the British RF and now all of sudden they are directly linked to a different country. Maybe it's a secret pact between the governments I don't know what it is but it's just different and there's such a major link between these 2 countries. I really believe that it's all a brilliant plan by the DRF's PR staff. They've recognized that Mary can be a goldmine for both countries.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aurora810 said:
Hey, Madame Royale, are we okay with what we were discussing I certainly don't want to make any enemies at the forums.

I have no enemies, Aurora810 :)

Your point of view is your own and it is in the nature of good, healthy conversation that I asked you to elaborate. I do not question your opinion, rather, I challenge or differentiate between what is a singular perspective and what is evidently supported.

Little_star said:
I know there are polls about the "Best" and "Most Disappointing" Royal, but which Royal do you think least lives up to the hype surrounding them and why?
All European Royal Family do not live up to the hype as they are not as regal as the British Royal Family (BRF) especially HM Queen Elizabeth II.

srivishnu said:
All European Royal Family do not live up to the hype as they are not as regal as the British Royal Family (BRF) especially HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Perhaps not as internationally publicized :)

lalla salma the moroccan king's wife, I don't like he way to be in public, always very stressed, she doen't seem to know how to say, her way to dress is too flasy and don't suit a first lady
she doesn't have a lot of activity, she patronize only one associantion (against the cancer), when they are many things to do in Morocco

Aurora810 said:
One more thing: I don't want people to think that I don't like Mary. I don't even actually know her so I can't say I don't like her. My only real complaint is the way that the DRF has "advertised" Mary. I realize the word advertise might not be the best but I hope people understand my intent. My hope for Mary is that she will continue to make both of her countries proud. She's in a very privileged position and I hope she uses it the right way. It just seems that one concern of the DRF's should be for her to not become overused image-wise and make sure that her image fits well with what she's doing. Example, the new haircut.

Well, I meant exactly what you already said. I wouldn't expect for her to forget everything from her homeland. I sure wouldn't, even moving from one part of the U.S. to another I didn't forget my hometown and I drove all over at times just trying to find similar food to what I was used to. It's a natural link that one has to their home country, city, town, or whatever. It's natural!

I guess when I was writing originally I was thinking about the other royals that have married into royal families. I just have never seen such fanfare as I've witnessed for Fred and Mary. Maxima visits her homeland I've never noticed such fanfare. Yes, I'm sure she's the talk of the country when she's there but it just seems different than it has been with Mary.

Mary isn't the first or the only member of a royal family that is from a foreign country. As far as what I've seen it's just been very different for Mary and Fred. Maybe it's because in Australia they are used to the British RF and now all of sudden they are directly linked to a different country. Maybe it's a secret pact between the governments I don't know what it is but it's just different and there's such a major link between these 2 countries. I really believe that it's all a brilliant plan by the DRF's PR staff. They've recognized that Mary can be a goldmine for both countries.:)

very well said. I think the problem is not with Mary but the way the DRF perceives Mary..they are the RF who is very good at PR...remember the consequence that Mary got when she posed for Vogue magazine? people put her in the pedestal... and she's worth billions for her country now! i'm actually afraid about the popularity Mary is receiving now...it WILL have its consequences...if I were Mary i would start having a much lower profile (although this can't happen bec the people are worshipping her like she's some kind of saint).. i think she should stop all those fashon engagements. it does not make any sense... she might as well drag her husband now and start acting like the future king! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aurora810 said:
Oh, I never thought you were attacking me. If you got that from my opening sentence I didn't mean for that to be thought. I just used your question "Isn't that enough?" And then responded "that is enough". Meaning I understand all that Mary does and it is enough that thru her voice and the programs that she supports a child or parent can be saved. I didn't mean to be confusing. I love that we can all discuss different things about Mary. And look the DRF's PR team has worked just look at how much we have all discussed Mary in just the last few hours.:ROFLMAO:

I'm glad you feel that way, Aurora810, and you just made me laugh!

madeleine victoria said:
they are the RF who is very good at PR
I would really like to know how you know that?
Can you give any facts about how their PR system works and why it is better than those of other royal houses, like the Dutch, the Spanish.....

The fact that the DRF is very popular has not necessarily to do with good PR,
throughout history the Danes always have been very loyal to their royal family and the royal family didn't give them much reason to be discontent with them.

And the hype in Australia has probably to do with Mary being Australian.
I personally don't believe that the DRF has controll over the Australian media and the magazines' decision to put Mary on their frontpages.

madeleine victoria said:
and she's worth billions for her country now! i'm actually afraid about the popularity Mary is receiving now...it WILL have its consequences...if I were Mary i would start having a much lower profile (although this can't happen bec the people are worshipping her like she's some kind of saint)
And what good would a much lower profile do for Denmark?
She is worth billions because she has a high profile.
I believe that's the right way for royals to "pay back" the taxpayers' money.

And who is worshipping Mary like a saint?
I don't think any Dane worships her like a saint.
Like Letizia and the other cps she has her adoring fans and she has her critics.

madeleine victoria said:
i think she should stop all those fashon engagements. it does not make any sense.
Promoting Danish fashion fairs and industry which is the 4th biggest industry in DK doesn't make sense?
Perhaps you should inform yourself a little bit better.
http://http://www.mpdclick.com/mudpie/action/viewListItem?identifier=news&id=13652&listId=19

Please let's keep the discussion civil. There is a way to debate a situation without being downright rude.

Aurora810 said:
Maybe it's a secret pact between the governments I don't know what it is but it's just different and there's such a major link between these 2 countries. I really believe that it's all a brilliant plan by the DRF's PR staff. They've recognized that Mary can be a goldmine for both countries.:)
A secret pact?
Neither is the DRF able to controll the Danish media nor is the Australian government able to controll the Australian media.
The media has discovered that Mary can be a goldmine.
But I don't believe the DRF is happy with everything they write.

Aurora810 said:

That is a good point aurora. The Argentines can be passionate people and so I asked an Argentinian member why Maxima didn't generate the same hysteria in Argentina that Mary did in Australia.

She explained that Maxima came from the upper classes and so a lot of Argentinians may not necessarily relate to her. Also Maxima's father was a politician who was linked to some troublesome times in Argentina's past so some people in Argentina may not like Maxima simply because of her father.

Whereas Mary is more from a middle class background, it was easier for Australians to think that Mary was the girl next door who became a princess and they delighted in the fact that "Our Mary is just like one of us" even though she is the toast of Denmark.

She is very popular in Denmark but I think for different reasons than she is popular in Australia. I do think the Danes are good at putting on a very chic and elegant appearance. The New Years Court and State Visits they host are very elegant and regal. Mary fits very well into that polished and chic appearance that the Danes like to give so if she was an actress, the Crown Princess role in Denmark is the perfect part for her.

The Aussies on the other hand are simply exuberant and insanely proud of their own and they like to let everybody know. I think Americans can be like that too.

Well said, Ysbel. Now I think I better understand what you and Aurora810 are saying, and yes, I agree that the press around Mary has been disproportionately large. It's interesting, actually, to look at it in this light-when you think about it, Mary isn't all too "unique" in comparison. She isn't the only pretty one (in many things I've read, it's between her and Letizia), she isn't the only international princess (Maxima from Argentina), and she isn't the only Cinderella story (MM wins the rags-to-riches crown).
I think maybe it's a combination of them, and that Australia isn't as removed from the monarchies as Argentina. There is just something about Mary. (now I'm channelling another movie...oi)

Aurora810 said:

Congratulations for your excellent posts, Aurora810. It's good to see you managed to answer the numerous posts with so grace and goodwill.

I completely agree with your comments, also find Mary's "image" to be very manufactured and agree with your comments about the Danish RF's PR.

I agree that the press around Mary has been disproportionately large

But the press coverage has only been (to the greater extent) large in Australia and Denmark. Sweden and Norway of course take an interest too some extent.

The Aussies on the other hand are simply exuberant and insanely proud of their own and they like to let everybody know. I think Americans can be like that too.

Like Gracia, Princesse de Monaco or Wallis, Duchess of Windsor...I know that the hype (or interest) surrounding these two ladies in the States was enormous :) And that really was 'hype', in the true sense of the wold.

Mary has projected very little interest in the States or even England for that matter. She gets a mention in German gossip mags as much as anyone else and in France there's the odd drib and drab about the 'exotic' future Queen but the 'hype' has extended very little beyond (if at all) this continent and Scandinavia.

Last edited:
ysbel said:
That is a good point aurora. The Argentines can be passionate people and so I asked an Argentinian member why Maxima didn't generate the same hysteria in Argentina that Mary did in Australia.

She explained that Maxima came from the upper classes and so a lot of Argentinians may not necessarily relate to her. Also Maxima's father was a politician who was linked to some troublesome times in Argentina's past so some people in Argentina may not like Maxima simply because of her father.

Whereas Mary is more from a middle class background, it was easier for Australians to think that Mary was the girl next door who became a princess and they delighted in the fact that "Our Mary is just like one of us" even though she is the toast of Denmark.

She is very popular in Denmark but I think for different reasons than she is popular in Australia. I do think the Danes are good at putting on a very chic and elegant appearance. The New Years Court and State Visits they host are very elegant and regal. Mary fits very well into that polished and chic appearance that the Danes like to give so if she was an actress, the Crown Princess role in Denmark is the perfect part for her.

Yes, the American media sure can be exuberant. I agree with what you are saying. Mary certainly had a "girl next door" look that must have made tranforming her into the princess we now know rather simple. Thanks for the info about Argentina and another good point. Australia is well aware of monarchies and Argentina is not. Now it kind of makes me wonder if the Britsh RF is sitting their going "Oh, rats those Danes are getting too much attention, Australia is ours." Ha, Ha :lol:

A little rivalry between monarchies!!!;)

Last edited:
Little_star said:
Congratulations for your excellent posts, Aurora810. It's good to see you managed to answer the numerous posts with so grace and goodwill.

I completely agree with your comments, also find Mary's "image" to be very manufactured and agree with your comments about the Danish RF's PR.

Thanks Little star! I felt I had a valid point to express.

Aurora810 said:
She was a very easy "girl next door" type that has been turned into a princess.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you mean here Aurora. In Australia, the term 'very easy' holds strong connotations of being overtly open to acts of a sexual nature.

Now it kind of makes me wonder if the Britsh RF is sitting their going "Oh, rats those Danes are getting too much attention, Australia is ours." Ha, Ha

Haha...A fencing match between Elizabeth & Margrethe...now that would be an interesting sight.lol.

Last edited:
Perhaps she meant very similar to or very relatable to. I don't, or anyone else, believes she meant it as anything sleazy or negative, Madame Royale.

Perhaps she meant very similar to or very relatable to. I don't, or anyone else, believes she meant it as anything sleazy or negative, Madame Royale.

Well, unless one asks one can't be sure can one?

I'm not attempting to place a negative spin on this discussion as I felt you to have insinuated by saying 'I don't, or anyone else, believes...' GlitteringTiara's.

I merely made a point and was hopefull that Aurora would kindly (and she has been nothing but pleasant) reciprocate with a clarification of what it was, she infact meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom