The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Elise27's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Margrethe and Henrik did well under the circumstances, I mean, compare them to the tragic story with the previous Nepalese Royal family in the hand of the Crown Prince.
Plus, just like Mary and Fred, Margrethe and Henrik were (and still are) working parents. That's part of life. Skipping a formal dinner with the royal parents does not ruin anyone's life. When you become an adult you make the decisions on what conduct you want to observe. People can't spent a lifetime blaming everything a person does in the present on the past actions of the parents.
I completely agree, for example when prince charles was blaming his problems on his parents I thought it totally ridiculous, I think there comes a certain point in life where you become responsible for your actions, the whole "you should know better" thing. I think its just a sorry excuse and you should learn from how your parents brought you up what to do and what not to do with your own kids. Besides these are not normal family relationships, particularly when it is the mother who is the reigning queen. Royal parents should make an effort but they have constraints because of their given position, one which it could be said they did not choose.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 AM
cde cde is offline
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Marina del rey, United States
Posts: 235
Spiffyballerina, I agree with you on Diana on her being overhyped. I'm not knowledgeable enough on non-British royalty to comment on the others. I think she had some good points and they should be remembered but she wan't perfect. I truly don't get the fascination with Diana.The reaction to her death still amazes me. Maybe if she hadn't died so young some people wouldnt treat her almost like a saint. If she had lived longer, I don't think public perception would have been so favorable. Personally some of her actions and the actions of some of Dianafanatics really turned me off toward her.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Francesca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My two cents are on Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark. I just don't find him to be as hard-working as the other European heirs, and his schedule doesn't seem to be as full as the others'. I also find it quite strange that he doesn't have a tradition of doing these official visits or economic missions that the other heirs do, it's only in recent time when Mary came into his life that the couple have together been on some short official trips, and the one to Australia which was a little longer. But no big official trips leading business delegations etc.

And now it seems that even his own wife, Crown Princess Mary, is much more active than he is these days. And she even has her little son to care for, and I guess breastfeed regularly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 PM
RoyalKnottie's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 90
The one royal I feel is the most over-hyped has to be William (and Kate Middleton). The media keeps building up the prospects of the two marrying every year and nothing happens. This also goes for Victoria and Daniel Westling. I'm sure the two couples were get married when the time is right but I'm almost sick of the media speculating that this could be the year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-28-2006, 08:49 PM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca
My two cents are on Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark. I just don't find him to be as hard-working as the other European heirs, and his schedule doesn't seem to be as full as the others'. I also find it quite strange that he doesn't have a tradition of doing these official visits or economic missions that the other heirs do, it's only in recent time when Mary came into his life that the couple have together been on some short official trips, and the one to Australia which was a little longer. But no big official trips leading business delegations etc.

And now it seems that even his own wife, Crown Princess Mary, is much more active than he is these days. And she even has her little son to care for, and I guess breastfeed regularly.
Agreed. It seems like Frederik does a few engagements, then goes sailing for a week. Compared to Felipe who seems to have engagements every day and Haakon who last year traveled to Sierra Leone, Poland, Japan, the United States, Denmark, and the United Kingdom in an official role.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
crisiñaki's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
if you check out Frederik's current news thread you'll see him going sailing and to a bachelor party for one of his friends, he can have fun, yes, but he has to work too!
Mary has a lot of patronages and you always see her among people while he prefers to do his own thing
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:07 AM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
if you check out Frederik's current news thread you'll see him going sailing and to a bachelor party for one of his friends, he can have fun, yes, but he has to work too!
Mary has a lot of patronages and you always see her among people while he prefers to do his own thing
It almost seems like Frederik thinks that because he has a pretty and popular wife, he doesn't have to do anything himself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 83
If Frederik thinks like that he thought it already before Mary came along. If he had and now has more than, like, 5 engagements a month it would (have) probably be (been) the 8th world wonder. But his wife doesn't have so many neither. In one of the threads in the DRF forum someone posted her schedule from last year. Except from July or August where she had ca. 10, 11 engagements she also had only 2-4 engagements. And that although they didn't have to work much since their wedding! Sure they raised their hands when it came to foreign trips (Greenland, Germany, NYC, Australia) and concerts, but else? Not much. And while I agree MII and H made mistakes in raising their boys (Slapping is not good. At. all.) Frederik mentioned that already in 1992! If he still has problems with it - and I don't mean that he wants to raise his kids without violence, but bigger ones - he had enough time to minimize these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Just like any new mother
With 3 nannies. For 1 baby.


I agree also on William. He was in New Zealand last year and then he was at some shelter of which he took the patronage from his mother IIRC, but did he do besides that before Sandhurst? Harry on the other hand I'd rather give a pass. He is the third in line and thus is in a very difficult position. Additionally he is a half- orphan who was put into a bording school and while there - away from his family - had to put up with all those ridiculous tabloid chatter whether or not Charles is his father. Considering Eton was and is an all-boys-school I'm sure the others made fun of that and him. That this all produced some flaws is logically, but considering his interest in Lesotho and his own foundation he seems to be on his way. (That doesn't condone the thing with the uniform though!) Does William have a foundation?


Agreed also on Diana and the Queen Mother being over-hyped.


Camilla on the other hand was, well what would be the right word? Under-hyped? Is that even a word? Okay now it is Many expected her to fail be it considering the clothes, her work ethic or that the other members of the BRF wouldn't welcome her and the Queen wouldn't give her any tiaras. And she just went about her new job and convinced them. Now that is good work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-29-2006, 01:06 AM
popy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chihuahua, Mexico
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanfan
It almost seems like Frederik thinks that because he has a pretty and popular wife, he doesn't have to do anything himself.
I totally agree with you kwanfan, Frederik is having lots of fun
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,324
Im not too sure aboUT Willem-Alexander he just doesent impress me much lol His Daughters are sweet though .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:56 AM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 817
I think CP Frederik is very shy. In interviews that I have seen he seems to stumble when he is answering questions. Perhaps his family understand that and give him fewer royal duties. He seems more relaxed welcoming Tasmanian devils to the zoo than giving a speech in front of people??? Just a thought!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
I think CP Frederik is very shy. In interviews that I have seen he seems to stumble when he is answering questions. Perhaps his family understand that and give him fewer royal duties. He seems more relaxed welcoming Tasmanian devils to the zoo than giving a speech in front of people??? Just a thought!
Frederik's had more than 30 years to be in the public eye and get used to the attention he gets, and for all his life he has known that he will be the future King of Denmark. Hey may be shy, but he better get over it quickly -- he has to rule one day. And I don't think that his family (and the Danish royal court) letting him take a back seat because of alleged shyness is a good reason. They should be supporting him in other ways, such as putting him in public speaking courses, to get over his shyness and his inability to speak to people he has never met.

On a law show I watch, two of the new lawyers lacked "presence" or were "robotic" in the court room, so their boss sent them to acting classes to get them to relax. Maybe Frederik would benefit from something like that.

I would say that there are plenty of other royals who seem more shy than Frederik (which I don't really think), like Mette-Marit or Phillippe of Belgium, yet they get out there week in and week out and make many public speeches on very serious topics such as economics and AIDS, even in foreign countries. While Phillipppe has grown up in the public eye, too, Mette-Marit certainly has not yet she was in Mawaii (sp) and has been in Thailand and other countries where a speech was required of her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
lisamaria's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 241
Has anyone checked if Mary has a tail and red horns under her hat...? Judged by some comments here (and elsewhere in this board), she is the culmination of money-grabbing, title-hunting haughty unaccomplishment - yet I feel that there are quite a few other princesses just as capable of carryig those titles. My big let-down has been her counterpart Letizia. She has been a princess for quite sometime now, and has done nothing particular either. There is nothing particularly wrong about her, she just doens't have a flavour to her. I think Letizia's big problem was that she came so soon after Mary. Mary's wedding, though smaller, was filled with open emotion (they kissed) while Letizia's was reserved. Mary had sunshine, Letizia pouring rain. Mary comes across very princessy appearance-wise, Letizia still has the looks of a newswoman. She is no doubt very brainy, but hasn't spoken publicly about anything or given any interview that would have given a reason to like her - I didn't care about Mary much at the beginning, but she won me over with the document shown here in Finland after her wedding. She IS all over the press here often enough, Letizia practically never. Even the coverage of the Spanish wedding was smaller. Much smaller.

All that said, I don't think Mary's popularity is away from anyone else. It just seems to me a bit nonsensical that people dislike someone simply because she is popular.
__________________
"Contrariwise", said Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it 'aint. That's logic."
From "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 PM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 817
We see very little about Frederik and Mary in Aus and my comment was just a personal observation from what little I have seen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:14 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
I have a lot of affection for Frederik. He reminds me of my brother: charming, lazy, and able to get away with it every time with that smile of his.

Mind you, it was annoying growing up with a brother like that but I still have a soft spot in my heart for him. :)
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Aussie Princess's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: n/a, Australia
Posts: 363
I do wish William would do a bit more, but I guess it's becaus he's been at university and now Sandhurst. He just seems so reluctant in his role.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 969
Princess Diana - definitely.
Not that I disliked her but she really wasn't that wonderful.
And she did some really awful things.

The Queen Mother
I think she was a cold, snobish and selfish woman.

Princess Alexandra of Denmark
This woman was praised to the skies for years, much more than Mary.
The super-princess, wonderful wife and mother, and oh so classy and busy.
And in the end: divorce, unhappy looking children, scandalous appearance at a royal baptism and 11 workdays in 3 and a half months.

I also have to say that I am quite disappointed with Princess Letizia of Spain - although I really like her.
There was so much hype about her career and she was portrayed as a good example for the modern Spanish woman.
After almost 2 years of not doing anything on her own I no longer think she is a good example.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
.

Princess Alexandra of Denmark
This woman was praised to the skies for years, much more than Mary.
The super-princess, wonderful wife and mother, and oh so classy and busy.
And in the end: divorce, unhappy looking children, scandalous appearance at a royal baptism and 11 workdays in 3 and a half months.
I haven't kept up to date with Princess Alexandra for some time now, so I was wondering what was so scandalous about her appearance at a royal baptism? Sorry if this has been discussed in detail already, i may just have missed it. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-01-2006, 11:38 PM
kwanfan's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff_tiff_tiff2000
Ditto.

Tiff
I think the thing with Mary is that popularity leads to hype. The more fans someone has, the more you'll hear about "Super Mary who can never do anything wrong." The less popular royals aren't going to have as many fans to go on about how great they are.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:43 AM
capricorninin's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
Has anyone checked if Mary has a tail and red horns under her hat...? Judged by some comments here (and elsewhere in this board), she is the culmination of money-grabbing, title-hunting haughty unaccomplishment - yet I feel that there are quite a few other princesses just as capable of carryig those titles. My big let-down has been her counterpart Letizia. She has been a princess for quite sometime now, and has done nothing particular either. There is nothing particularly wrong about her, she just doens't have a flavour to her. I think Letizia's big problem was that she came so soon after Mary. Mary's wedding, though smaller, was filled with open emotion (they kissed) while Letizia's was reserved. Mary had sunshine, Letizia pouring rain. Mary comes across very princessy appearance-wise, Letizia still has the looks of a newswoman. She is no doubt very brainy, but hasn't spoken publicly about anything or given any interview that would have given a reason to like her - I didn't care about Mary much at the beginning, but she won me over with the document shown here in Finland after her wedding. She IS all over the press here often enough, Letizia practically never. Even the coverage of the Spanish wedding was smaller. Much smaller.

All that said, I don't think Mary's popularity is away from anyone else. It just seems to me a bit nonsensical that people dislike someone simply because she is popular.
I have to agree on both your points. For some Mary seems the epitome of all the greediness, arrogance, fashion victimized and haughtiness in the world. But I have seen nothing of it. This year she was at 2 royal gatherings Sverre's baptism and king CG's birthday gala. And both the times she was subdued in her choice of outfits and her presence. She respected the hosts in not donning something which would have screamed look at me.

As for work she has been regularly been spotted in hospitals and heart clinics. She even hosted a reception for her patronages and instead of allowing the press in and hogging the limelight made sure that the only coverage could be done through the interview of the charities representative.

In her family life she seems a devoted mother and wife and a daughter in law. On Margerethe's birthday she was again in subdued form and very happy to let the limelight fall on the three generations of monarchs.

So I am sorry but for me she is fine. she is not perfect nor the best but the qualities she does possess aren't easy to find either.

And for Letizia 2 yrs are going to be completed in a few days of her entering the royal ranks. And yet nothing to judge her, know her only her past accomplishments. And I do not see any correlation between the job duties of a newsreader and princess.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Juan Carlos of Spain & Princess Sofia of Greece 1962 Julia Royal Weddings 127 07-06-2013 10:57 AM
Australian Royal Family Australian Royal Chit Chat 51 05-18-2008 08:57 AM
Royal Yachts hrhcp Royal Life and Lifestyle 22 08-01-2007 07:42 AM
Royal Toys Mandy Royal House of Norway 6 06-13-2003 12:51 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]