The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Commoner

If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century. She managed to hide a self-indulgent, willfull, vindictive personality underneath frills and a sweet smile. Unbelievable how she got so many people to fall for it.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I think I'm with the general consensus on Mary.

Although I'd have to disagree with Toledo, in that I find Lalla Salma ot be a bit of a let-down, I expected alot from her especially after everything I've read and yet another year has passed and in my opinion she's not really lived up to expectations.

I think Madeline's another Royal who is praised alot, for not a gret deal of reasons. She doesn't seem happy to do her Royal duties and as for her "great looks", I think she's really artificial looking.
Well, I have to admit to you that I don't know much about Lalla Salma, I'm just bewitched by her looks and when that happens a man's brain stops to reason :o.

But I hope she gets upgraded to Queen the way Farah was made Empress of Iran by her husband, the Shah. That will be the deal breaker between past and present in her country and probably many women in Morroco will follow her lead to be more prominent in politics.

On Princess Mary: there were more expectations made than what she, or anyone in her position, could ever accomplish. When the time comes and she becomes Queen Consort she will have more ability to make herself more noticeable beyond the glossy magazine covers and superficial papparazi tales. In the meantime, she is in somebody's timeline, the real star of Denmark is Queen Margrethe, anyone else will just have to wait their turn. In a Broadway play, it will be Margrethe's name above the title, the rest is just her supporting cast.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda
If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century. She managed to hide a self-indulgent, willfull, vindictive personality underneath frills and a sweet smile. Unbelievable how she got so many people to fall for it.
I agree with your basic premise but i think you're going a bit far. the image of her as this cuddly everybody's grandmother type is innacurate. but she worked very hard even to the end of her long life, carried herself with great dignity and did her job remarkably well. she deserves a lot of respect for that and i think britons were right to be proud of her, though i certainly agree that she was not nearly so warm and friendly as she was made out to be.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennMod
I'd say CP Mary and mostly because I agree with royalwatcher. She doesn't exude warmth to me (my opinion of course) in pictures and seems distant.
I'd agree with you except I don't think that the hype around Mary is that she is a wonderfully warm and approachable person.

The hype I've read is that she is some sort of Superwoman princess, doing things that others can't. The Can't Stop Mary syndrome because she's always off to a bigger and better challenge. I haven't read everything about Mary, of course, but I haven't come across a newstory about Mary being ultra warm and fuzzy.

It doesn't bother me because I don't need a princess to be ultra warm and fuzzy. A little distant elegance is OK in my book.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
If we're talking about overhyped, I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was one of the most overrated royals of the 20th century
If anything, she was the most successful. She hardly said a word since 1945 and yet the public had unconditional love for her.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

"Well, I have to admit to you that I don't know much about Lalla Salma, I'm just bewitched by her looks and when that happens a man's brain stops to reason :o.

But I hope she gets upgraded to Queen the way Farah was made Empress of Iran by her husband, the Shah. That will be the deal breaker between past and present in her country and probably many women in Morroco will follow her lead to be more prominent in politics."

If she were made Queen it may lead to an improvement (in my opinion) but to a certain degree I think that might actually be more of a problem. She just comes across as someone who is completely disinterested in her position so her current title probably suits her best. As for her appearance I've always thought her quite plain.

"My first read on her was her visit to France with the Princess speaking in different languages"
Was she speaking French? As in all fairness French is widely spoken in morocco and other North African countires like Tunisia and Algeria because of their colonial past.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Crownprincess Mary, not because I do not like her but simply because the hype seems to be to big & I do not see what all the fuss is about (I am more impressed by other crownprincess, although I know she -and Letizia- did not have that much time to prove herself yet).
I kinda agree especially when Mary stated that she doesnt want to leave her baby under nannys care..I think its a bit unrealistic considering the fact that shes a very busy working royal not a commoner anymore..

Old 12-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
If anything, she was the most successful. She hardly said a word since 1945 and yet the public had unconditional love for her.
That's always fascinated me, and a lot of other people too I'm sure. I guess everything she said before that endeared her to everyone?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I'd agree with you except I don't think that the hype around Mary is that she is a wonderfully warm and approachable person.

The hype I've read is that she is some sort of Superwoman princess, doing things that others can't. The Can't Stop Mary syndrome because she's always off to a bigger and better challenge. I haven't read everything about Mary, of course, but I haven't come across a newstory about Mary being ultra warm and fuzzy.

It doesn't bother me because I don't need a princess to be ultra warm and fuzzy. A little distant elegance is OK in my book.
When Mary and Frederik where in Australia, the media raved for weeks and weeks about how down to earth normal and approachable they were.I think the media often just say what people want to hear. I'm not saying they aren't(i didn't meet them)
Old 12-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess

When Mary and Frederik where in Australia, the media raved for weeks and weeks about how down to earth normal and approachable they were.I think the media often just say what people want to hear. I'm not saying they aren't(i didn't meet them)

Ah I didn't see those stories. Yes some of the stories about Mary have been ridiculous to say the least. As I said, we Americans don't get too much info on the non-British royals.

IMHO, the whole fairytale aspect of these commoners marrying crown princesses has been way overblown. I mean what self-respecting down-to-earth simple approachable girl is going to want to marry a crown prince with all the baggage the position carries with it? The attention is relentless and everybody wants you for something.

Mette-Marit and Camilla fall into that simple down-to-earth category but I don't think Camilla really ever wanted to marry her man, she had to in order to keep him and Mette-Marit also seems ambivalent about her position as crown princess. In family photos, Martha-Louise still seems to take center stage. Lately I've noticed more that Mette-Marit seems uncomfortable in her role.

That's not what I would say is a best case scenario. Ideally we all want to marry for love but hopefully not at the price of marrying into a position that is foreign or uncomfortable to one's nature. The position of royalty is remote by nature not only by tradition but by having to guard against the ever increasingly aggressive paparazzi.

I don't fault Mary or any of the other crown princesses for acting remote. It's part of the job.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoogie
I kinda agree especially when Mary stated that she doesnt want to leave her baby under nannys care..I think its a bit unrealistic considering the fact that shes a very busy working royal not a commoner anymore..
That made me SO mad when Mary declared that her child wouldn't have nannies and have the childhood CP Frederik had. Who the heck is Mary to judge Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik?! CP Frederik has said he didn't have a perfect childhood, but who did?! Honestly, if my mother were the sovereign of a country (as she became when CP Frederik was THREE) and my father her best support, I might understand why I'd have a couple of nannies to dote on me and play games with me. It was totally unrealistic of Mary to say that there wouldn't be nannies all over the place for the children, but she said it as a condemnation of the way QMII and PH raised their own children. I think it's disgusting to judge people's parenting when the situation is obviously so extraordinary. Besides, CP Frederik and Prince Joachim turned out just fine.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
That made me SO mad when Mary declared that her child wouldn't have nannies and have the childhood CP Frederik had. Who the heck is Mary to judge Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik?! CP Frederik has said he didn't have a perfect childhood, but who did?! Honestly, if my mother were the sovereign of a country (as she became when CP Frederik was THREE) and my father her best support, I might understand why I'd have a couple of nannies to dote on me and play games with me. It was totally unrealistic of Mary to say that there wouldn't be nannies all over the place for the children, but she said it as a condemnation of the way QMII and PH raised their own children. I think it's disgusting to judge people's parenting when the situation is obviously so extraordinary. Besides, CP Frederik and Prince Joachim turned out just fine.
I completely disgree with you!!!

Mary did NOT say her children wouldn't have nannies. Mary only says that her children will NOT be rasied by nannies.

Please put your fact straight by referring to NINKA Interview in 2004 before criticising Mary!!!

Also, Mary did NOT comment on QMII and PH's parenting skills. So, don't put your words into Mary's mouth, please!!!

Amen
Old 12-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That made me SO mad when Mary declared that her child wouldn't have nannies and have the childhood CP Frederik had.
It was a joint decision made by husband & wife, mother & father!!

"MII"
Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 PM
Courtier

I agree with all of you about the Queen Mother...I never really thought about her, but it's true. She never really did anything important, it would seem.

And I didn't mean to start another nit-picky fight about Mary, Lord knows we have enough of those on these boards. I was just expressing my sentiments that I don't see what's so gosh darned great and fantastic about her.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Ah I didn't see those stories. Yes some of the stories about Mary have been ridiculous to say the least. As I said, we Americans don't get too much info on the non-British royals.

IMHO, the whole fairytale aspect of these commoners marrying crown princesses has been way overblown. I mean what self-respecting down-to-earth simple approachable girl is going to want to marry a crown prince with all the baggage the position carries with it? The attention is relentless and everybody wants you for something.

Mette-Marit and Camilla fall into that simple down-to-earth category but I don't think Camilla really ever wanted to marry her man, she had to in order to keep him and Mette-Marit also seems ambivalent about her position as crown princess. In family photos, Martha-Louise still seems to take center stage. Lately I've noticed more that Mette-Marit seems uncomfortable in her role.

That's not what I would say is a best case scenario. Ideally we all want to marry for love but hopefully not at the price of marrying into a position that is foreign or uncomfortable to one's nature. The position of royalty is remote by nature not only by tradition but by having to guard against the ever increasingly aggressive paparazzi.

I don't fault Mary or any of the other crown princesses for acting remote. It's part of the job.
Yes, the country in question has a lot to do with how they are presented.....because of what is valued in Australia, EVERYONE wants, or needs, to hear that even though she's now called Crown Princess Mary, she's still the same Mary Donaldson who is normal, down to earth friendly,approachable, and still 'one of us' once again, I'm not saying it isn't true, but the Australian media and definetly obsessed with projecting that image. In another country, they may also want to project a posotive image, but may concentrate on a different aspect of a persons character.
I agree with what you've said about Camilla and Mette-Marit.....especially Camilla, to me, seems to carry out hjer royal duties with such ease, when I see it I can't believe she hasn't been doing them for years. She really has done remarkably well I think. I wodner how she feels about them, but she never seems nervous.
Your points about women who marry Crown Princes are interesting.Maybe it's the power of love?but I can honestly say I would slit my own throat before I gave my life away to the royal institution.I much prefer being a spectator.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It was worse than a "not perfect upbringing". Frederik barely met his parents. Margrethe herself has said that she is not very proud of how her sons were brought up. I think that it's admirable that Frederik and Mary wants to do their best not to repeat the mistakes made by Margrethe and Henrik. I agree that the situation is extraordinary, but that doesn't mean you can't try! Carl Gustaf and Silvia has always traveled a lot during their kids' upbringing, but when they were home they tried to spend as much time as possible with the kids. When Margrethe and Henrik were home, their boys weren't even allowed to eat dinner with them every night I've heard somewhere (don't remember where).

They are royals, but they are still human beings who deserve a present mother and father.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I do not for one minute think Mary was critical of her in-laws method of raising their children. Nor do I think she meant she would not have nannies for her child/children. Too many people try to put Mary down and turn what she says into something she did not mean. The word raising seems to be the word in question. Children are looked after from the day they are born by Parents, Grandparents, Nannies Kinder teachers,and schoolteachers. but it is the parents who actually raise them - with help. Mary obviously means to /hopes to be around her child as much as she can whilst he/they are young. She will be doing exactly the same as Mette Marit, Maxima, Cristina, Mathilde and all the current Royal mums who are exellent examples of working Royal mothers. I think some people are too critical of Mary and try to make " mountains out of molehills" out of everything she says. Of course Mary and Frederik want to RAISE their children, but they will also have Nannies to help them.

Scott
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
The Swedes must be doing something right not to have a negative post in this thread so far. Maybe less hype then. Well, I do agree about Madeleine but since she is still in school, I'll let that by but she can try not to look so bored. :)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I do not for one minute think Mary was critical of her in-laws method of raising their children. Nor do I think she meant she would not have nannies for her child/children. Too many people try to put Mary down and turn what she says into something she did not mean. The word raising seems to be the word in question. Children are looked after from the day they are born by Parents, Grandparents, Nannies Kinder teachers,and schoolteachers. but it is the parents who actually raise them - with help. Mary obviously means to /hopes to be around her child as much as she can whilst he/they are young. She will be doing exactly the same as Mette Marit, Maxima, Cristina, Mathilde and all the current Royal mums who are exellent examples of working Royal mothers. I think some people are too critical of Mary and try to make " mountains out of molehills" out of everything she says. Of course Mary and Frederik want to RAISE their children, but they will also have Nannies to help them.

Scott
This subject brings back memories!
Mary and Fred will raise the kid(s) just like any other first parents before and after them, with trials and errors. That is enough stress as it is already for the young couple besides the tabloids making up stories on them. And I'm sure they will do a great job at it, Mary, from the pictures I've seen hanging out with her family, seems to be a very warm and caring lady around kids.
She will do just fine. Just like any new mother.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan
It was worse than a "not perfect upbringing". Frederik barely met his parents. Margrethe herself has said that she is not very proud of how her sons were brought up. I think that it's admirable that Frederik and Mary wants to do their best not to repeat the mistakes made by Margrethe and Henrik. I agree that the situation is extraordinary, but that doesn't mean you can't try! Carl Gustaf and Silvia has always traveled a lot during their kids' upbringing, but when they were home they tried to spend as much time as possible with the kids. When Margrethe and Henrik were home, their boys weren't even allowed to eat dinner with them every night I've heard somewhere (don't remember where).

They are royals, but they are still human beings who deserve a present mother and father.
Margrethe and Henrik did well under the circumstances, I mean, compare them to the tragic story with the previous Nepalese Royal family in the hand of the Crown Prince.
Plus, just like Mary and Fred, Margrethe and Henrik were (and still are) working parents. That's part of life. Skipping a formal dinner with the royal parents does not ruin anyone's life. When you become an adult you make the decisions on what conduct you want to observe. People can't spent a lifetime blaming everything a person does in the present on the past actions of the parents.