The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM
EmpressRouge's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,294
Some of my friends are very surprised that European countries they've heard of (Belgium, Sweden, etc) besides the UK and Monaco still have monarchies. The American press doesn't cover them a lot, so a lot of Americans think they don't exist.

Sometimes I just correct common mistakes (e.g. calling Diana, Princess of Wales as "Princess Diana"; kings and queens are "majesties" and princess and princesses "highnesses").

Most of the time, my friends think that royal families are relics of the past, a burden on tax payer money who do nothing and contribute nothing to society. Not saying all monarchies are great nor that every country should have one, but I point out the hidden benefits of having a royal family that no one sees (tourism, non-partisan leadership, national unity, etc). There are a lot of preconceieved notions about monarchies in the US (w/ its purely republican, anti-monarchy history), and I like to show another perspective.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
I enjoyed reading all of your stories and perspectives on the subject.
I generally find that even when I try to explain the mistaken impressions and then move on, people don't really hear what I am saying and continue in their mistaken impressions. That is one reason it is so frustrating and why I was hoping to find a better way to deal with it on here.
__________________

__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Saturn's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 168
I live in a city where most people think that the Monarchy is something anachronic. They don't really care about them, people in Catalonia only get worried about the cost of the Monarchy.
When someone says something about Royalty, as a rule, I do not take any notice, I think is the best I can do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn
I live in a city where most people think that the Monarchy is something anachronic. They don't really care about them, people in Catalonia only get worried about the cost of the Monarchy.
When someone says something about Royalty, as a rule, I do not take any notice, I think is the best I can do.
Interesting, I spent 4 days in Barcelona last September and I had this feeling, that Monarchy is "non existent".

Very nice city you live.

Sorry,all this is out of topic
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn
I live in a city where most people think that the Monarchy is something anachronic. They don't really care about them, people in Catalonia only get worried about the cost of the Monarchy.
When someone says something about Royalty, as a rule, I do not take any notice, I think is the best I can do.
The Catalonians and the Flemings have the same attitude. They want as much as possible independency for Catalonia or Flanders, from the centralistic state. And who is symbolizing that central state?

Right.... the King....

No wonder there is not that much deep love for the monarchy in Catalonia or Flanders.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
In general, Catalonians never liked Monarchy, and there some years ago, the Republican Movement was quite important. I do not know how things are nowadays...but you gave me an insight to it, Saturn!

Yes...Sometimes it gets annoying to explain certain people that we are nor archaic people with grandeur delires!

Vanesa.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Actually quite a few of my non-royalty minded friends have seen the movie 'The Queen' and asked me about it.

Its a great opportunity to share one's interest with people not otherwise interested in royalty.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,221
Well, here in Sweden, we're at least aware of the fact, that not only UK and Monaco still have monarchies. But of course, we're most focused on our own royal family: King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine. I don't know if too many people are really interested in them, but at least, they know who they are, and that there are other monarchies around us (Norway, Denmark, Netherlands etc).

My brother has always felt, that we should get rid of the monarchy. He would prefer a president to a king or queen and has often expressed the obsoleteness and uselessness of our royal family. And once recently, when they talked about the Japanese imperial family on the news on the radio, he said, that all royal families all over the world are obsolete and useless, not just our Swedish one. I think that's harsh. I think constitutional monarchies are perfectly acceptable even in the 21rst century. They're a part of history and tradition, and I don't even think, that an elected president would be cheaper for the tax payers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
and I don't even think, that an elected president would be cheaper for the tax payers.
I agree. Only compare Great Britain and the United States to see it plainly.
Congress pays forthe White House, Camp David (presidential holiday retreat since Eisenhower, named for his grandson or nephew or something) and the helicopter and plane. In Britain, the residences are not funded by tax money or parliament because in fact the Crown Estate maintains them,and the Crown Estate has ongoing profitable income. I can't know for certain, but I would bet that if someone compiled the figures, the US presidency consumes more tax dollars than the British monarchy. It's seems like a logical hypothesis, perhaps worthy of further analysis.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
I'm a little tired that some people around me -well, I should be honest and said MOST people around me -thinks that Monarchy is useless. They never analyzed that generally, presedents of our Republican countries consume more tax money than any Monarchy in the world. In the case of Argentinian Republic it IS the case. And be sure that our presidents live as if they were "Pachas"!

For me, Monarchy is the better form of governement. Anyone who wants study this objectively, without passion, is able to conclude it.

However, most of people has the mistaken image of frivolity and luxury about Monarchy...But they believes that Republics are austhere...Hmmm. I highly deny it. Frivolity and austherity doesn't depend on Monarchy or Republic, but in the honestity of people who is in the governement and its tendences or not to the corruption, the flu of our times.

Vanesa.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 1,811
my friends don't know how interested i am in the royal family. its not that im ashamed to tell them, but that they aren't interested in anything besides the lastest gossip in the school (who got who pregnant, who's "going out" with who, etc.) so i just mostly play along with that, which is fine with me.

my parents, however, know how obsessed i am with royals, and although they think its a little weird and not the most common hobby, they know that it's what makes me special. they're also glad i HAVE a hobby, because i could be doing a lot worse stuff, like drugs or something. i also get them a little interested in it. my mom thinks Prince Christian of Denmark is the cutest baby (besides me, of course! ), and my dad and i playfully enjoy making fun of (not harshly- we love the British Royal Family!) the stuffiness and formallity of the British Royals (especially the Queen, Prince Phillip, and Charles).

But i think my friends may think its really weird, just like they do Orlando Bloom (my non-royal favorite). i guess altogether its best i don't tell them, even though they know im quirky enough as it is!

but on a serious note, i don't think that people should be made fun of or anything just because they like royals. its a hobby, just like cabinet-making or stamp-collecting or playing sports. it's a thing they like to do, and they should be left to enjoy doing it, and helping others understand the meaning of royalty, and how it really can be useful, even if they don't govern.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Apart from my mother, grandmother and you fine people, my interest in royalty is 'non existant' to the rest

Not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it's no ones business I guess.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Outside Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 63
I have to say up until a few years ago, when E! Entertainment (I think it was E! or A&E) did that biography on young royals (mainly GB and Sweden that I can actually recall), I wasn't aware that not all European countries still had their monarchies. I knew how it was in the past, but was very glad to hear that the tradition and all was still alive. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a younger sister who loves all thinsg royal as well I just called her the other day to catch up on things (since I'm away at school) and talked about Princess Maxima giving birth and all. Its nice to have a wonderful place like here or my sister to talk to so I can indulge my interest!

And pretty much just like all my fellow Americans here, you are very hard press to find anyone to share your interest. None of my friends could care at all, and I ususally like to share random facts about history with them when appropriate so I am use to it all falling on deaf ears. It is annoying when people can't see outside of their own country, but I usually don't let it bother me since I tend to be curious about things others might consider "weird". Like LadyK said, I'm interested in not only the royals and the history, but the culture and countries. I even did my Access database project on collecting information on various royal houses and its members. My teacher thought it was very interesting! And like some of you have said, most people I know are only aware of GB and Monaco, but I favor Sweden, the Netherlands, Norway, and Luxembourg (though I like them all). My best friend and I growing up followed the GB a bit, especially since Princess Diana died the day before my birthday (technically it was my birthday U.S. time) so we wanted to learn more. My sister and I even had our mom wake us up for the funeral, and I think it was like 5 in the morning here. And of course being from Philadelphia, we take pride in our Princess Grace! We share the same last name, and I am always tempted to say yes we are related everytime I am asked (but we definetely are not ). But that just proves that most people I know just are unaware of any other royals.

Generally, as long I can find info and share my interest/knowledge with anyone, especially here, then I am content with that. I never shy away from a chance to enlighten my friends every now and then, but I do that with most things. Makes me very usual for when we play Trivial Prusuit! Okay, I should stop rambling now
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
maidmarion's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: personal, Canada
Posts: 93
We've all definetly come to the right place to share our interest. Here, here! I don't think I'll ever get tired of learning about the world of monarchs.
MM
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-13-2007, 06:57 PM
LadyK's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,965
Funny anecdote- I was talking to someone, and trying to think of what was new, and mentioned the birth of Ariane. Her reply? "You'd better get your tiara ready so you can go and visit!"


If only....
__________________
The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
I'm a little tired that some people around me -well, I should be honest and said MOST people around me -thinks that Monarchy is useless. They never analyzed that generally, presedents of our Republican countries consume more tax money than any Monarchy in the world. In the case of Argentinian Republic it IS the case. And be sure that our presidents live as if they were "Pachas"!

For me, Monarchy is the better form of governement. Anyone who wants study this objectively, without passion, is able to conclude it.

However, most of people has the mistaken image of frivolity and luxury about Monarchy...But they believes that Republics are austhere...Hmmm. I highly deny it. Frivolity and austherity doesn't depend on Monarchy or Republic, but in the honestity of people who is in the governement and its tendences or not to the corruption, the flu of our times.

Vanesa.
You are right. What you say goes beyond Argentina because I see the same in the United States. My god, look at the US Senators! But at the same time, any political system or party that holds the reigns of power will be seen as the most expensive and extravagant. When monarchy was the Reign in France, Louis XIV was made a laughingstock of excess. So I think history shows that whatever and whomever holds the power cards, is the person that lives the "best" of lives, whether monarchial or republican.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
Amen! You are more than right!

Vanesa.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 254
The beauty of a constitutional monarchy is that it is above politics. The Monarch acts as a focal point regardless of which political party is in power. The Monarch is also usually there for a longer period than any politician, and can build up a lot of knowledge and contacts. There is also the family aspect, usually with family members of all ages, which the population can relate to.

The problem I usually find with republics is that either the Head of State and the Head of Goverment is the same person (as in the US), which can lead to loyalty or emotional problems if the person is from a politacal party you dislike. Or, like in Germany or Ireland, the President is a minor figurehead, well in the shadow of the Head of Government. Both these systems also cost money to the tax payer every bit as much as a monarchy - but with little of the glamour and romance.

As I often point out to my friends who lean towards a republic, just think who we might end up with as President - Mrs Thatcher, Ken Livingstone, etc., etc. (people who polarize political opinion). That usually shuts them up and decide that the Queen is probably a better bet.

I do, of course, get a little annoyed when people refer to Prince William as the Heir to the Throne (Prince Charles is) or the Queen as Her Royal Highness (she is Her Majesty - but this is usually done by non-British people) and other mistakes. But it is the repeating of silly tabloid journalist stories about members of the Royal Family that really upset me. It is an uphill fight to correct these gossiping stories, which undoubtedly distort any small truthful fact. In fact, like some of you, I just give up and keep quiet. But is that rifht!?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-15-2007, 02:04 AM
trinny's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the coast, Australia
Posts: 151
I annoy my husband every once in a while with "useless" facts or show him photos of so-and-so and I have to say he is very gracious about it all. He doesn't even roll his eyes (well not when I'm in the room) but other than that I don't talk about it.

I did however astonish my whole family (at a family lunch) at the time of Prince Charles' wedding by correcting the tabloid gossip they'd read and explaining why The Queen would not attend the actual civil service. That made their mouths drop open I can tell you!! They seemed quite impressed at my unexplained knowledge!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: l.a and las vegas, United States
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
I'm a little tired that some people around me -well, I should be honest and said MOST people around me -thinks that Monarchy is useless. They never analyzed that generally, presedents of our Republican countries consume more tax money than any Monarchy in the world. In the case of Argentinian Republic it IS the case. And be sure that our presidents live as if they were "Pachas"!

For me, Monarchy is the better form of governement. Anyone who wants study this objectively, without passion, is able to conclude it.

However, most of people has the mistaken image of frivolity and luxury about Monarchy...But they believes that Republics are austhere...Hmmm. I highly deny it. Frivolity and austherity doesn't depend on Monarchy or Republic, but in the honestity of people who is in the governement and its tendences or not to the corruption, the flu of our times.

Vanesa.
I agree with you completely.Thank You.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General things about Royals SheriBeri Royal Ceremony and Protocol 66 07-19-2014 10:12 PM
Where to find information about the Norwegian Royals. norwegianne Royal House of Norway 11 01-04-2013 03:51 AM
Royals and Immunity/Diplomatic immunity Alexandria Royal Ceremony and Protocol 34 05-24-2009 05:10 AM
July/August 2005 Newsletter: Royals on Summer Vacation GrandDuchess Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles 10 07-20-2005 07:16 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
belgium birth carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]