What Would You Change?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the British monarchy has always preferred to use Duke/Duchess over Prince/Princess. For example, once Princess Helene of Waldeck and Pyrmont married the Duke of Albany, she was formally known as the Duchess of Albany.

The exception might be the Duchess of Fife, who on marrying Prince Arthur of Connaught became known as Princess Arthur of Connaught.

It's not about preferring Duke/Duchess to Prince/Princess, it's about using your highest-ranked title. Catherine is still the Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge, but "Princess of Wales" outranks them, so that's what she goes by. Just as after her marriage, she was Princess William of Wales, but "Duchess of Cambridge" outranked that, so that's how she was styled.

It's not about preferring Duke/Duchess to Prince/Princess, it's about using your highest-ranked title. Catherine is still the Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge, but "Princess of Wales" outranks them, so that's what she goes by. Just as after her marriage, she was Princess William of Wales, but "Duchess of Cambridge" outranked that, so that's how she was styled.

I agree with you on "Princess of Wales" versus "Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge", where the former is clearly more prestigious as it is associated with being the wife of the crown prince, but I don't believe there is anything inherently higher-ranking in the title of Duchess compared to the title of Princess. In the British system, Princess is reserved for members of the royal family while Duchess is held by many women in the non-royal nobility, so it could even be argued that Princess is the "higher-ranked" title.

I agree with you on "Princess of Wales" versus "Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge", where the former is clearly more prestigious as it is associated with being the wife of the crown prince, but I don't believe there is anything inherently higher-ranking in the title of Duchess compared to the title of Princess. In the British system, Princess is reserved for members of the royal family while Duchess is held by many women in the non-royal nobility, so it could even be argued that Princess is the "higher-ranked" title.

A royal duke outranks a prince, so a royal duchess outranks a princess. Again though, it's about using your highest-ranked title, whatever it is.

A royal duke outranks a prince, so a royal duchess outranks a princess. Again though, it's about using your highest-ranked title, whatever it is.

While the British precedence system is sometimes confusing, it's not my impression that all royal dukes outrank all non-duke royal princes (e.g. the Duke of Gloucester was not treated as if he outranked Princes William and Harry before they received their dukedoms).

But yes, we were originally discussing British royal titles, not the ranks of members of the British royal family. When you stated

It's not about preferring Duke/Duchess to Prince/Princess, it's about using your highest-ranked title.

I replied as follows:

I don't believe there is anything inherently higher-ranking in the title of Duchess compared to the title of Princess. In the British system, Princess is reserved for members of the royal family while Duchess is held by many women in the non-royal nobility, so it could even be argued that Princess is the "higher-ranked" title.

If my reply was unclear, I would be happy to clarify. Otherwise, it seems we will have to agree to disagree.

Restore monarchies/make them monarchies to these nations:
- France (under Orléanist branch)
- Germany (with all sub-monarchies)
- Portugal
- Italy
- Serbia
- Re-create Austria-Hungary and restore Habsburgs.
- Russia (but Russia shall be constitutional monarchy).
- Poland (descendant of Stanislaw Poniatowski to the throne).

- Bulgaria
- Romania (and let Moldova join to the country).
- Albania
- Greece
- Brazil
- China with Qing dynasty.
- Indochinese monarchies
- Iraq
- Turkey
- Egypt
- Libya
- Rwanda
- Burundi
- Tunisia

Make so that royals have marry either other royals or nobility.

Back
Top Bottom