The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
My post # 999...

King Juan Carlos I of Spain: for been a survivor and being, along with Sofia, the greatest King and Queen team Spain ever had.
..with the notable exception of Ferdinand and Isabella, I'd say. :) JC and Sophia make a great second, but topping Isabella is pushing it..

Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Nobility

Charles, a tough one:

Remembered as the man that dumped a beautiful young woman for an unattractive older woman. To this day, I don't know whether to loathe him for using a young woman or admire him for his faithful devotion to an unattractive woman of his own age.

Also remembered as the man that talked to plants, but was ahead of his time when it came to organic gardening.

Also a man that lived in the shadow of his mother, much as Edward, Prince of Wales lived in Queen Victoria's shadow for most of his life.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher
Charles, a tough one:

Remembered as the man that dumped a beautiful young woman for an ugly older woman. To this day, I don't know whether to loathe him for using a young woman or admire him for his faithful devotion to an unattractive woman of his own age.

Also remembered as the man that talked to plants, but was ahead of his time when it came to organic gardening.

Also a man that lived in the shadow of his mother, much as Edward, Prince of Wales lived in Queen Victoria's shadow for most of his life.
I'm quoting and responding to myself, because I feel guilty for calling Camilla "ugly", which I don't like to do, it just seems mean. I just used that word to illustrate a point. Actually, these days I find Camilla beautiful in a way, probably because she has great clothes and she just exudes happiness.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Serene Highness

I think Mette-Marit is doing a nice job of carving out a niche in HIV/AIDS work. Mary seems to put a lot of focus on mental health organizations. Although I think Camilla will always be known primarily for being the "third person" in Charles and Diana's marriage, I think she's doing a great job working with osteoporosis.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:26 AM
Gentry

As a Jordanian , i must say that he will always be in our hearts and minds for his kindness , honesty & wise judgement in teh darkest moments ..may allah bless him and bless our king & Queen :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I think that King Hussein will long be remembered as a peacemaker in the middle east. He got out of his sick bed when he was having chemotherapy to try and assist in brokering a peace deal between Palestine and Israel. The number of world leaders who attended his funeral is testement to how highly the world respected him.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Nobility

Queen Beatrix for her smile.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

my post # 998...

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
..with the notable exception of Ferdinand and Isabella, I'd say. :) JC and Sophia make a great second, but topping Isabella is pushing it..
King Fernando and Queen Isabel were two formidable warrior kings in an era of champions, crusades moved by higher goals and discovery of new lands. But both were given their crowns in a very different way from what their direct descendant King Juan Carlos had to go through. And he went to hell and back to become King. Franco could have chosen any other person, including the 'legitimate' heir Duke of Cadiz whose father was the older sibling of Juan Carlos' father. Franco could have also selected some crazy Carlista or...why not, a candidate from the other branches that sprung out of Spain. There were the Parmas or the Bourbon Two Sicilies. Too many people for one single prize...and he chose Juan Carlos. Even when Franco did not like his bride, a Greek Orthodox Princess. Even when his own favorite grand daugther married the scheming Duke of Cadiz and she could have been the Queen of Spain.
But Franco chose Juan Carlos because he, the Prince, knew how to play his cards to survive. And once he did he played them again and turned against the Franco elite to defend democracy in Spain, to take the the country from the military hands and give it back to the people. And he had Sofia by his side, a powerful woman capable of taking charge as Regent if her Royal spouse gave his life in his quest to turn the country around.

Fernando and Isabel, Juan Carlos and Sofia, two different couples in two different situations. And they both came out winning.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Courtier

You have all come up with some wonderful things, I think good old Fergie will be remembered for all the amazing bloopers she made.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Courtier

The story will also remember Diana for her ability to work with the press hum hum if I may say.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
Personally, I think Prince Joachim of Denmark will be known as the idiot who let the great woman get away.
That is a pretty harsh statement. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Thus, if they are no longer together, then it was not meant to be.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Charles, Diana and Camilla: for what they did in life and what they did to each other, until the end of time one name will always bring up the other two.
I do have to agree Toledo. Diana and Charles will always be known as the relationship that was broken up by another woman and the marriage being "too crowded." I am also sorry to say that I think Diana will be remembered for all the things that she did to get ack at Charles like the Panorama interview and the Diana her true story book by Andrew Morton I think those things will slightly overshadow her work as an humanitarian. She always be remembered as "The Queen of Poeple's Hearts." But she will never be forgotten for the other things she did.

I think Charles will be remembered for having an affair with a "less pretty" woman when married to a beatiful one. He will always be remembered for the affair "breaking up" his mariage.

Camilla will always be remembered as "the other woman."

I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana