What If They Hadn't Married Their Prince?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HRHAmy

Courtier
Well this is something I have been pondering for a while now. I wonder what would some of these royal ladies lives be like if they hadn't married their prince. For example, what if Mary decided not to go to the Slip Inn that one night, she would have never met Frederik and they would have never been married. So what would have become of her today? Would she be married to someone else by this time? Still single and working in real estate? Still living in Australia?

Or what about Mette-Marit, what if thier mutual friend who introduced them both never introduced them? Or she introduced Haakon to another girl? Would Mette-Marit still be a single mother working as a waitress? Or would she be married to someone else and have had more children?

And most importantly, Princess Diana, what if she declined Charle's marraige purposal? Where would she be today? Would she be living in the countryside with another man of title and have lots of kids? Would she be dating a middle eatern prince? Or would she have ended up with Dodi sooner than later? Would she still be alive today?

I'm just wondering what you all think of the princesses and maybe girls that aren't princesses yet such as Chelsy Davy or Kate Middleton, what might they do with their lives if they do not marry thier princes?

Last edited:
I have always wondered what if Princess Diana had never agreed to write or help with that book. What if she had just continued with keeping quite. :rolleyes:

I personally feel that everything happens for a specific reason, therefore fate would have put them all together anyway. But that aside, I think Diana definitely would have married 'WELL' and possibly become a famous socialite, like Ivana Trump or Jemima Kahn. As for the others, I really don't know their stories well enough to comment except that I think Mary would have married someone classy and I would hope that Mette-Marit would have still pursued a positive path for herself.

My opinion is well who knows. They could be dead or alive married or single and we'd never know, but we might have in the case of princess Diana.

What If...
I remember that Marvel Comics had a long running series called What If where the readers saw variations to the current reality. How a small change triggered a reaction that changes the future:
"...The "What If" stories proceeded from a particular point (a "point of divergence") depicted in Marvel's comic line and extrapolated what would happen as a result of that changed event..."

My What if to discuss would be:
What if Charles had married Camilla back in the 70's?

Last edited:
Yeah! He should have told everybody "I want to marry Camilla, and no one can stop me!" and done it!

Furienna said:
Yeah! He should have told everybody "I want to marry Camilla, and no one can stop me!" and done it!
I think in certain respects the British public have come full circle over the years and re-gained a respect for their superiors. For a while the reverence for royalty took a plunge so Charles was perhaps unable to move forward in the 1970s with lining up Camilla to eventually share his throne. Perhaps it wasn't until Diana's death that the common man and woman in Britain realized that it was completely inappropriate for them to have an opinion about the personal life of the heir apparent.

Furienna said:

What do you think the Queen would have done? And how do you think the people would have reacted? After all, Camilla was just a country girl who didn't really want to be a royal anyways.

What if Charles declined the throne and married Camilla, who would be heir now? Andrew? I think Andrew and Fergie would have been too wild for the throne.

Yeah, I understand that, but it's still a shame, that they weren't more persistent.

It's an interesting question, but who knows. After all, the current Crown Princesses of Europe, (with the exception of Mathilde, as there have been persistent rumours that her marriage was arranged) would all be living very different lives.

They may have all pursued different career paths, met different people, some may have still been single. Others could have been married with kids.

What if, Prince William had never met Kate Middleton at St Andrews? And he had met someone else instead in the first weeks of his first year there, would she be photographed where ever she went, and thought of the next Queen of GB, and Kate Middleton would just walk down the street and no one would know who she is.

I think a big what if is...What if Princess Diana said she couldn't marry Charles because she knew of Charles and Camilla's affair? If Diana never married Charles I think she would have become a full time kindergarten teacher or a teacher of some kind since she loved kids even in her early years. I also think she would have done somehting with dance like became a dance teacher or something. I do believe Diana would have enjoyed a life in private.

I also think a big what if is...What if Diana came home one day early from her trip with Dodi? It is said in many books that Dodi asked Diana to stay an extra night with him in Paris at the end of August. Diana was supposed to go home the day she died but she decided to stay one more day with Dodi. Would she have lived?

She probably still would have lived. That was a real tragedy!

But I like to think that everything, good and bad, might be happening for a reason. I believe in fate. Those couples were supposed to meet each other and Diana was supposed to die after that accident.

yes, Diana would've lived and gone on to.....marry Paul McCartney! Ok that's nonsense (or is it? ;), but she would've lived and gone on with drawing attention to a slew of social injustices around the planet, that much is certain. There's a thread about what Diana would have been up to, had she lived.

Little_star said:
It's an interesting question, but who knows. After all, the current Crown Princesses of Europe, (with the exception of Mathilde, as there have been persistent rumours that her marriage was arranged) would all be living very different lives.

They may have all pursued different career paths, met different people, some may have still been single. Others could have been married with kids.
I'd venture that Maxima would have used her base in New York and job in the financial industry to land the Euro/Anglo husband-with-the-deep pockets she seems to have been angling for, according to New York rumors (this may well be malicious gossip, but let's face it, does Maxima strike any of you as the type to get hitched to the cute-but-broke plummer down the street? Didn't think so either.)

Letizia would have stayed where she was: a news anchor of ever increasing stardom. She would have gone on, probably, to marry an equally accomplished husband, had her current one not existed, let's say.

Mary would have dated and eventually married a hunky Aussie who'd be working in the advertising/marketing biz. She, meanwhile, would stick around in the property development business, in some sort of marketing capacity.

Mette Marit would have, by now, have a few more kids with a handsome Norwegian who's maybe in the oil business (Better than hunting wales, non?), maybe someone she met through Eva Sannum (what on the planet happened to that one?!)

hah, this is fun, people! ;)

Furienna I do agree that everything does happen for a reason. Good point maybe she would have lived I do think she might have lived to be an old lady if she had lived and everyone would still love her. She would also still help people from all walks of life.

I think Mary would still be living in her home counrty.

Of course Maxima would not have married the cute, but broke, plumber. Neither would I.

Princess Diana, as Lady Diana Spencer, may have continued being a teacher. Perhaps after dating several aristocratic young men, she may have married a nobleman.

If Mary had not become the Crown Princess of Denmark, can you picture her married to a foreign diplomat?

Princess Diana, as Lady Diana Spencer, may have continued being a teacher. Perhaps after dating several aristocratic young men, she may have married a nobleman.

If Mary had not become the Crown Princess of Denmark, can you picture her married to a foreign diplomat?

I think it's highly likely Diana would've married a man of higher clout. Her sisters did and I'm guessing she would've done the same. I'd be interested to know if she married Prince Andrew would it have worked out? Back then it was said that her and Andrew were better suited personality and age wise.

I believe mary wouldn't have married a diplomat. I think she would've married someone in advertising or property development, maybe a man with equal or higher pay than her.

I wonder if any of the Crown Princes had married one of their former girlfriends - apparently Felipe and Frederik had serious relationships - and then gone on to meet Letizia, Mary, etc. Would there have been an affair, or would the constraints of their position, in which divorce is almost unthinkable, have prevented anything from happening?

What if the King never met Wallis......now that gives me a head ache

What if the King never met Wallis......

I imagine he'd have stayed with Mrs Freda Dudley-Ward [or some other safely married woman], refusing to marry 'suitably, and declining to settle down.
He must have known the succession was already in safe hands, and he cared nothing for the responsibility of producing his own...

I wonder if any of the Crown Princes had married one of their former girlfriends - apparently Felipe and Frederik had serious relationships - and then gone on to meet Letizia, Mary, etc. Would there have been an affair, or would the constraints of their position, in which divorce is almost unthinkable, have prevented anything from happening?
What says that any of the crown princes would have been attracted to or fallen in love with their present wives if they had met at an other point of time? It's not certain that they would have been interested in someone else if they were in a (happy) relationship, even if the woman was the one they are married to today. If a person, man or woman, are in a serious relationship and happy with it, why would they start looking for someone else?

What says that any of the crown princes would have been attracted to or fallen in love with their present wives if they had met at an other point of time? It's not certain that they would have been interested in someone else if they were in a (happy) relationship, even if the woman was the one they are married to today. If a person, man or woman, are in a serious relationship and happy with it, why would they start looking for someone else?

That I certainly believe. There are many people that one can make a good and happy marriage with. I always believe it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. To look beyond is just a lack of morals or not actually being happy with present partner. You would never stray if you were 100% happy and content.

:previous: You're right - it hinges on whether or not the relationship is a happy one. But even the best of marriages can go through rough patches and become strained. That was the case with my husband and me. We had some bad years, but we rode it out. Not every married couple does that.

I imagine he'd have stayed with Mrs Freda Dudley-Ward [or some other safely married woman], refusing to marry 'suitably, and declining to settle down.
He must have known the succession was already in safe hands, and he cared nothing for the responsibility of producing his own...

You are absolutely correct about the succession being in safe future hands, but now Queen Elizabeth II might not have become queen until she was almost 60 instead of 25. Her father would not have had the power to help in winning WWII as he was only a prince. Playboy king could have done a lot of damage to economy to the point of selling some valuable articles [most of which he hated but Wallis loved] for spending money. Remember Queen's uncle "Duke of Windsor" was really a self-centered privileged man that only enjoyed society and was pathetic when it came to the common areas of life. Actually, Wallis S. did the world a favor.

If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and the deaths would have still happened at the same time, QEII would have become Queen at age 46, which isn't exactly "almost 60" even if it is closer to 60 than 25.

Not entirely sure how Edward could have personally done damage to the economy, as he would have been a figurehead not an actual wielder of power. Nor could he have sold most of the valuable articles that he "owned" as they're actually crown property, not the personal property of the monarch.

I wonder what would have happened if Prince Carl Philip never met Sofia Hellqvist. Would sofia still be modeling? Or would she have married a wealthy man? And would she be involved with Project Playground? And as for Carl Philip would he have found another woman with a wild past or would he have married an aristocrat?

I also wonder what would have happened to Princess Madeleine if she would've never found out about Jonas cheating and they got married. Would they still be together today? Would they have children?

If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and the deaths would have still happened at the same time, QEII would have become Queen at age 46, which isn't exactly "almost 60" even if it is closer to 60 than 25.

Not entirely sure how Edward could have personally done damage to the economy, as he would have been a figurehead not an actual wielder of power. Nor could he have sold most of the valuable articles that he "owned" as they're actually crown property, not the personal property of the monarch.

I see your point but I don't believe Queen's father would have died so young as he would not have been under the constant strain. Edward told members of society at a party in New York, later in his life , that quite a lot of valuable articles were actually his [ given to him personally] that he left behind in England and he could use them now. Should have taken them when he could. They were not given to the crown. Went on to describe them and they are still in BP. I am trying to locate the old newspaper article and will post when I do. Has to be on this Internet somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom