The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Nobility

I wonder if any of the Crown Princes had married one of their former girlfriends - apparently Felipe and Frederik had serious relationships - and then gone on to meet Letizia, Mary, etc. Would there have been an affair, or would the constraints of their position, in which divorce is almost unthinkable, have prevented anything from happening?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

What if the King never met Wallis......now that gives me a head ache

Old 02-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
What if the King never met Wallis......
I imagine he'd have stayed with Mrs Freda Dudley-Ward [or some other safely married woman], refusing to marry 'suitably, and declining to settle down.
He must have known the succession was already in safe hands, and he cared nothing for the responsibility of producing his own...
Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
I wonder if any of the Crown Princes had married one of their former girlfriends - apparently Felipe and Frederik had serious relationships - and then gone on to meet Letizia, Mary, etc. Would there have been an affair, or would the constraints of their position, in which divorce is almost unthinkable, have prevented anything from happening?
What says that any of the crown princes would have been attracted to or fallen in love with their present wives if they had met at an other point of time? It's not certain that they would have been interested in someone else if they were in a (happy) relationship, even if the woman was the one they are married to today. If a person, man or woman, are in a serious relationship and happy with it, why would they start looking for someone else?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
What says that any of the crown princes would have been attracted to or fallen in love with their present wives if they had met at an other point of time? It's not certain that they would have been interested in someone else if they were in a (happy) relationship, even if the woman was the one they are married to today. If a person, man or woman, are in a serious relationship and happy with it, why would they start looking for someone else?
That I certainly believe. There are many people that one can make a good and happy marriage with. I always believe it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. To look beyond is just a lack of morals or not actually being happy with present partner. You would never stray if you were 100% happy and content.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Nobility

You're right - it hinges on whether or not the relationship is a happy one. But even the best of marriages can go through rough patches and become strained. That was the case with my husband and me. We had some bad years, but we rode it out. Not every married couple does that.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I imagine he'd have stayed with Mrs Freda Dudley-Ward [or some other safely married woman], refusing to marry 'suitably, and declining to settle down.
He must have known the succession was already in safe hands, and he cared nothing for the responsibility of producing his own...
You are absolutely correct about the succession being in safe future hands, but now Queen Elizabeth II might not have become queen until she was almost 60 instead of 25. Her father would not have had the power to help in winning WWII as he was only a prince. Playboy king could have done a lot of damage to economy to the point of selling some valuable articles [most of which he hated but Wallis loved] for spending money. Remember Queen's uncle "Duke of Windsor" was really a self-centered privileged man that only enjoyed society and was pathetic when it came to the common areas of life. Actually, Wallis S. did the world a favor.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and the deaths would have still happened at the same time, QEII would have become Queen at age 46, which isn't exactly "almost 60" even if it is closer to 60 than 25.

Not entirely sure how Edward could have personally done damage to the economy, as he would have been a figurehead not an actual wielder of power. Nor could he have sold most of the valuable articles that he "owned" as they're actually crown property, not the personal property of the monarch.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Courtier

I wonder what would have happened if Prince Carl Philip never met Sofia Hellqvist. Would sofia still be modeling? Or would she have married a wealthy man? And would she be involved with Project Playground? And as for Carl Philip would he have found another woman with a wild past or would he have married an aristocrat?

I also wonder what would have happened to Princess Madeleine if she would've never found out about Jonas cheating and they got married. Would they still be together today? Would they have children?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and the deaths would have still happened at the same time, QEII would have become Queen at age 46, which isn't exactly "almost 60" even if it is closer to 60 than 25.

Not entirely sure how Edward could have personally done damage to the economy, as he would have been a figurehead not an actual wielder of power. Nor could he have sold most of the valuable articles that he "owned" as they're actually crown property, not the personal property of the monarch.
I see your point but I don't believe Queen's father would have died so young as he would not have been under the constant strain. Edward told members of society at a party in New York, later in his life , that quite a lot of valuable articles were actually his [ given to him personally] that he left behind in England and he could use them now. Should have taken them when he could. They were not given to the crown. Went on to describe them and they are still in BP. I am trying to locate the old newspaper article and will post when I do. Has to be on this Internet somewhere.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Edward told members of society at a party in New York, later in his life , that quite a lot of valuable articles were actually his [ given to him personally] that he left behind in England and he could use them now. Should have taken them when he could. They were not given to the crown. Went on to describe them and they are still in BP. I am trying to locate the old newspaper article and will post when I do. Has to be on this Internet somewhere.
But wasn't Edward's need for more money later in life due to the fact that he didn't receive any money from the royal family/government? If he had stayed on as king his economy would most likely have been the same as his brother's, and if there was no Wallis, would there have been a need to spend as much money?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga View Post
I'd venture that Maxima would have used her base in New York and job in the financial industry to land the Euro/Anglo husband-with-the-deep pockets she seems to have been angling for, according to New York rumors (this may well be malicious gossip, but let's face it, does Maxima strike any of you as the type to get hitched to the cute-but-broke plummer down the street? Didn't think so either.)

Letizia would have stayed where she was: a news anchor of ever increasing stardom. She would have gone on, probably, to marry an equally accomplished husband, had her current one not existed, let's say.

Mary would have dated and eventually married a hunky Aussie who'd be working in the advertising/marketing biz. She, meanwhile, would stick around in the property development business, in some sort of marketing capacity.

Mette Marit would have, by now, have a few more kids with a handsome Norwegian who's maybe in the oil business (Better than hunting wales, non?), maybe someone she met through Eva Sannum (what on the planet happened to that one?!)

hah, this is fun, people!

Eva Sannum finished her study journalism.
Her husband/partner is Torgeir Vierdal.
The couple has two sons, born in August 2008 and January 2011.

At the moment she is a succesfull director of a norwegian magazine.

Source: an interview she gave in 2014 to spanish magazine Semana