True Love Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering he is the heir to the throne, I am sure he did not lack comfort on his expeditions

He did not have any more comfort then others on this expedition.

It seems to me that your thoughts about beeing heir to the throne, in this context, is a bit oldfashioned and romanitc......

Beeing heir to the throne in real life means - beeing capable of preforming with more exellence then general.

I live in a Kingdom, I know the expectations of the people! I am one of the people!

I'm sorry, but these photos mean nothing and are quite posed imho. I find it quite possible that many or at least some of the commoners married to royals would not have married them if not for their status and comfy lifestyle. On the other hand we can never know can we. The truth about Grace and Rainer and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was only opened way after at least one of them passed on. You see the "fairytale" of Grace Kelly, once upon a time... was so strong, and the "true love" of the D&D of Windsor was so heartrending so my mother says, noone dared challenge it, at the time. I guess after years and other things popping up, like how Wallis treated Edward in front of friends, and humiliated him, or how Grace admitted that she had great passions in her life, but not with Rainer, one couldn't deny anymore. As of today, we will never know. One thing we must accept is that different people love in different ways, some are more cold and others more affectionate and it doesn't make one better than the other.

I don't know the Danish royal Family very well, but whenever i see pictures of Frederik and Mary they seem to like and love each other very much. You can't pose all the time. Yes maybe it did help that Frederik is a crownprince, but who cares... that are married now and have to make the best of it. And I am sure they will..
I don't believe so much in big love story's. I believe in being faithfull to each other and make the best of it. True love is holding on to each other even when life is difficult or the feelings have faded away a bit. ( it is quite difficult to say those thing in English)
For me a great couple were Beatrix and Claus. She made a better choice than her mother.

. . . . . but a weepy boy like Frederik needs a strong woman who picks up the slack.
Since Frederik has proved beyond doubt (his military service) that he is in no way a wimp, I can only suppose you speak of his tears at his wedding and the birth of his children. IMHO only a really strong man, comfortable in his own skin and aware his every move is photographed, could share such unabashed joy with his future subjects. Everyone else is pretty much irrelevant!

I'm sorry, but these photos mean nothing and are quite posed imho. I find it quite possible that many or at least some of the commoners married to royals would not have married them if not for their status and comfy lifestyle. On the other hand we can never know can we. The truth about Grace and Rainer and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was only opened way after at least one of them passed on. You see the "fairytale" of Grace Kelly, once upon a time... was so strong, and the "true love" of the D&D of Windsor was so heartrending so my mother says, noone dared challenge it, at the time. I guess after years and other things popping up, like how Wallis treated Edward in front of friends, and humiliated him, or how Grace admitted that she had great passions in her life, but not with Rainer, one couldn't deny anymore. As of today, we will never know. One thing we must accept is that different people love in different ways, some are more cold and others more affectionate and it doesn't make one better than the other.
Great post, auntie. One of the best on this thread imho....

I think we couldn't judge Mary.
In my opinion it isn't question of be in love in Frederick but question of her character. When I compare her with Maxima, I notice that Mary is rather serious-looking person, especially becouse of her role. Before the wedding she smiled more often. I think she believes that she's better princess when she's serious so she does it. Who knows what they do when they're alone?

I know the couple who are very deep in love but in public places they're never show her feelings. They really hate other couples who kissing passionately before other people. They said: why must we see like he/she licked her/his face? That's stupid people."

Of course I like more such couples like Maxima and Willem or Henri and Maria Teresa but it doesn't mean that the rest royals don't love their spouses.

Nowadays royals can marry people who they love - after Diana and Charles story in interest of royal family is agreed on marriage becouse of love than disagree and have such big problems and scandals after that.

I disagree with the people who say that Mary and Frederik aren't really in love. She moved on the other side of the globe to be with him, they have 2 kids, and numerous pictures can demonstrate their love.
And I think this counts for all other royal couples: They all love each other.

The real question is : Would she have married him were he a plumber? THAT is the question, and here for example I feel that many, many of the women would not be married to these men. For example, the woman I am most sure wouldn't have married her prince if he was a plumber is Maxima. She loves Willem NOW but imo was VERY attracted by the money, the position. She strikes me a quite a materialistic person and gold******-ish personality.

I disagree with the people who say that Mary and Frederik aren't really in love. She moved on the other side of the globe to be with him, they have 2 kids, and numerous pictures can demonstrate their love.
And I think this counts for all other royal couples: They all love each other.

The real question is : Would she have married him were he a plumber? THAT is the question, and here for example I feel that many, many of the women would not be married to these men. For example, the woman I am most sure wouldn't have married her prince if he was a plumber is Maxima. She loves Willem NOW but imo was VERY attracted by the money, the position. She strikes me a quite a materialistic person and gold******-ish personality.

Really... I don't get that vibe from Maxima at all. I mean she has to have had her own money considering that she's from a wealthy family and an investment banker. The one that gives me that impression is Marie. I don't think she would have married Joachim if had he not been a prince. I don't think she's a gold digger/social climbing person I just don't see them happening if he didn't have his title or position.

Really... I don't get that vibe from Maxima at all. I mean she has to have had her own money considering that she's from a wealthy family and an investment banker. The one that gives me that impression is Marie. I don't think she would have married Joachim if had he not been a prince. I don't think she's a gold digger/social climbing person I just don't see them happening if he didn't have his title or position.
Sorry, but having good job in a bank and coming from a family who are upper middle class, is in no way in comparison to being the crown princess of one of the independently wealthier families. As Missagga's post b4 you stated, all the commoners married to royals seem to be happy, have kids, and most are doing a fantastic job, but would they have gone throug it all if Willem.A was a lawyer? (no need to be a plumber) Fred a architect? Felipe a photographer? Joachim a farmer? (which her really is!) etc. etc. I think the only commoner who's love was never doubted, even if she was not loved by all, is Mette Marit of Norway. Again I maintain my opinion, you never know...BTW, Marie and Jo glow when they look at each other, it doesn't mean it is more or will last longer, yet is says something.

The real question is : Would she have married him were he a plumber?
Good question.

Maxima: No. I think as a wealthy latina she would consider mingeling with ordinary tradesmen beneath her.

Mary: No. she seemed to have much higher aspirations.

Mette-Marit: Yes. It frequently appears that she would prefer it if Haakon actually was a plumber.

Marie: No. she seemed quite smug on her engagement photos.

Letizia: Yes. I never got the impression she actively sought him out in hopes of elevating her standing in society.

I would like to add another couple who have always seemed very much in love, Anne-Marie and (ex) King Constantine of Greece.

Mette-Marit: Yes. It frequently appears that she would prefer it if Haakon actually was a plumber.
I have the same impression about her...and honestly, I can understand her perfectly...

I would like to add another couple who have always seemed very much in love, Anne-Marie and (ex) King Constantine of Greece.
Yes, but they were both royals, one a king and the other a daughter of a king, so the royal factor playing a part doesn't hold here.

If Haakon was a plumber, MM hasn't any problems like she had at the beginning of their relationship.

In my opinion we can't judge the rest. If my husband was a plumber my mum would be devastated. My parents really cares about my educations so they wanted for me sb the same. And she always remind me about my aunts and cousins who married men who don't have good job or they haven't job at all. My aunt has 5 sons and lots of problem and my uncle doesn't help her but he need money for alcohol or cigarettes. And my aunt she dated guy who is pilot now. He's lovely man who loves his wife. But my aunt chose a plumber.

Of course it doesn't mean that every plumber is bad. But if Mary married a plumber who earn less money or have ,,worse" job than she, he could feel very bad with that and as a result: divorce. I know a few couples who have such problem.

If Maxima married a plumber, she couldn't be sure if he cares only about her money. Mary had a good job so she wanted to meet sb who is independent, has good job too. If Felipe, Frederick, Willem Alexander were pilots,doctors, sportsmen I believe that for Letizia, Mary and Maxima that wouldn't problem or even better. Letizia could still work in TV (I heard she missed it very much), Mary and Maxima maybe she would like it too.

Married prince isn't never ending vacation. Not every women want to be princess (if she has job who she loves, hate royal duties, she must behave in some way, became public person, don't want to have children etc.)

Yes, but they were both royals, one a king and the other a daughter of a king, so the royal factor palying a part doesn't hold here.

I think it is that factor that makes it so touching as usually royal marriages seem to be arranged or contrived.

Good question.

Maxima: No. I think as a wealthy latina she would consider mingeling with ordinary tradesmen beneath her.

Letizia: Yes. I never got the impression she actively sought him out in hopes of elevating her standing in society.
We shouldn't expect all these classy, independent ambitious young women to want a plumber, ( No offence) the question applies even if they were on the same social and economical level as the gals. Would Mary have pursued the relationship? Or would Maxima have answered WA's phonecalls after the dinner party etc. I stand by my original answer WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

You are so right Auntie. The question is hypothetical and the answers can only be speculative - and never getting anybody anywhere.

There are many,of course, but I want to name King Baldouin of Belgium and Fabiola:flowers:

Good question.

Agree completely.

Victoria and Daniel

Edward and Sophie

William and Kate

Mette Marit and Haakon

Mathilde and Philippe

I think those royals have found true love.

"True love" is such a broad term that we could say they all have found true love, just in different forms. Love in marriages can be anything from finding your best friend to finding someone you feel you cannot live without. I think a lot of Royal marriages are exceptionally happy, whether they show it in public or not. I for one think it's nice that they don't all hold hands are are affectionate toward one another in public, mainly because I think love and marriage are such personal things that should often be kept for the two involved. The ony marriage I do think has found true love and has definitely lasted is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. They have truely for a best friend in each other and we all know they do not openly show affection toward one another, but you know it's there. Something has to have been there for 63 years. They come from an era where divorce was frowned upon (even though 3 of their children divorced), so they knew that when they married it had to be "forever", which I think they found.

I also think Victoria and Daniel have found true love as you could see from their wedding how involved with one another they were; how invested they were in each other. It was lovely to see, and although they are very open in public, they clearly adore one another.

Another couple I think is Edward and Sophie. Although many people believe he married her to hush all the rumours he was homosexual (even one of the Health Care Assistants I worked with yesterday mentioned it in terms of the Royal family, so it's a common thought), I think the do truely love each other. In the earlier years of their marriage you could see a lot of love between them, just from glances at one another and particular smiles. It's not so evident nowadays, but they have two very young children, however you can still see in many instances they still love one another deeply, and I believe they found "the right one" in each other. Edward has said on many occasions that he found a best friend in Sophie and vice versa. I do not believe that Edward is gay, nor do I think he married Sophie to cover up for that, mainly because Sophie appears to be a strong woman, someone who stands up for herself and I do NOT think she would say with this man for almost 20 years when deep down she knew he was gay nor would she have had children with him.

I think the key to successful marriages (and "true love" stories) is friendship, among other things but predominantly friendship. I hate to quote a television show but The X Files put it wonderfully when it was on TV all those years ago. "The best relationships, the ones that last, are the ones that are rooted in friendship."

Cue the end of my soppy post. :D

"True love" is such a broad term that we could say they all have found true love, just in different forms. Love in marriages can be anything from finding your best friend to finding someone you feel you cannot live without. I think a lot of Royal marriages are exceptionally happy, whether they show it in public or not. I for one think it's nice that they don't all hold hands are are affectionate toward one another in public, mainly because I think love and marriage are such personal things that should often be kept for the two involved. The ony marriage I do think has found true love and has definitely lasted is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. They have truely for a best friend in each other and we all know they do not openly show affection toward one another, but you know it's there. Something has to have been there for 63 years. They come from an era where divorce was frowned upon (even though 3 of their children divorced), so they knew that when they married it had to be "forever", which I think they found.

I also think Victoria and Daniel have found true love as you could see from their wedding how involved with one another they were; how invested they were in each other. It was lovely to see, and although they are very open in public, they clearly adore one another.

Another couple I think is Edward and Sophie. Although many people believe he married her to hush all the rumours he was homosexual (even one of the Health Care Assistants I worked with yesterday mentioned it in terms of the Royal family, so it's a common thought), I think the do truely love each other. In the earlier years of their marriage you could see a lot of love between them, just from glances at one another and particular smiles. It's not so evident nowadays, but they have two very young children, however you can still see in many instances they still love one another deeply, and I believe they found "the right one" in each other. Edward has said on many occasions that he found a best friend in Sophie and vice versa. I do not believe that Edward is gay, nor do I think he married Sophie to cover up for that, mainly because Sophie appears to be a strong woman, someone who stands up for herself and I do NOT think she would say with this man for almost 20 years when deep down she knew he was gay nor would she have had children with him.

I think the key to successful marriages (and "true love" stories) is friendship, among other things but predominantly friendship. I hate to quote a television show but The X Files put it wonderfully when it was on TV all those years ago. "The best relationships, the ones that last, are the ones that are rooted in friendship."

Moolly2101 , who nice put all together :) :flowers:
I just must agree with you about this three couples and also to add

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima
Prince Haakon and Princess Mette Marit

To be in true love is to be happy together no matter what is going on.

Victoria and Daniel

Edward and Sophie

Mette Marit and Haakon

Mathilde and Philippe

Older couples

QMII and Henrik
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip
Queen Anne Marie and Constantie of Greece
Harald and Sonja of Norway

You bring up some very valid points, especially about 'true love' being a very broad and subjective expression. I think it means different things to different people, and it's hard to judge who found it and who didn't, because our definition may not agree with theirs. My choices are solely based on what I've read/heard/seen, and will include some couples who are no longer living.

George VI and Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mother)
Tsar Nikolai II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip
Duke and Duchess of Cornwall
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
Earl and Countess of Wessex

George VI and Elizabeth
Wallis and Edward
Charles and Camilla
Victoria and Albert
Nicholas II and Alexandra

Do you think MC would marry Pavlos if he was a plumer?I think she would.They have been married for a long time and they seem to make it work.

Charles and Camila***Mary and Frederick of Denmark***
Maxima and Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Czar nicholas II and Alexandra
Queen Victoria and prince Albert
Prince William and Catherine Middleton
Queen Elizabeth II and prince Phillip,duke of Edinburgh
Queen margarethe II and prince consort henrik
Crown prince Frederik and Mary
Crown princess Victoria and Daniel

In no specific order

Back
Top Bottom