True Love Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm I've always gotten the impression that Camilla is not a fan of the spotlight and would of been just as happy to NOT have the titles (or the marriage).
LaRae

I don't think she's crazy about it, but she is willing to do the job. And what woman realy would prefer to be in the background all the time when her partner is KIng? I think she enjoys some of the life, she may not be a natural socialite but she has learned ot dress and look smart and I'm sure she does not really mind being a future queen, being curtsied to and wearing a nice dress and tiara...
And she knew that she had to be married ot him, when he was king.. so I think she accepted that, without too much demur.

This is a general topic thread and there's millions upon millions of other people in the universe besides Charles/Diana/Camilla. Perhaps the moderators can move the dissection of Camilla to the appropriate thread?

Yes, could we please move to discussion of what we know of the marriages of some of the European royals? I think Diana was fabulous and I love discussing her and the whole situation with C-and-C, but there are equally fascinating elements in the background of other Royal marriages too.

For instance, while Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is well known for getting on well with her daughters in law, Letizia of Spain and Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg had a harder time being accepted by their husbands' parents, if some rumours are to be believed. If true this must have placed quite a strain on these marriages, especially in the initial stages, however much in love the couples were.

Yes indeed, could we please try not drag analyse of the marriages of Charles/Camilla/Diana into every possible thread, considering the overall topic of this thread. Thanks you.

I dont know much about the Scandinvian royals, is there any reason why you say that you dont think Fred and Mary of Denmark and Haakon and Mette Marit are in love? Is is the social and cultural gaps?

Mary and Frederick always appear to be completely happy in their own (joint) company; they met as many do - adults with history - and went on to want to make the ultimate commitment. The normality of it speaks for itself.

William and Kate? Not so sure. After an eight year relationship (with a couple of short term splits) it was only short of their engagement announcement that William actually really acknowladged her.
There was the odd high profile appearance, such as his passing out ceremony, but events such as friends weddings the couple did not arrive as a couple!
It always appeared as an unequal relationship.
True, once the decision was made, William has been seen to be completely attentive, but Kate has a long time to wait to be acknowladged.

I thought that there were rumours of Fred at least having other interests..
so that's why I wonder how true lovey they are. So is that normal?

And As for Will and Kate I think it has more to do with his wanting to keep the media out of his relationship. Until he and K were engaged he intended to keep the press guessing and protect himself and Kate. I don't think it is an unequal relationship. I think frankly they are such a dull couple, they are right for each other.

well others? How about Caro of Monaco? what about her 3 husbands? I think she was in love with Casirighi...

Unaware of any rumours, are they true??! (my bad!! lol!)

Regarding William and Kate, I'm probably going back to when both princes were in long term (acknowladged or not) relationships; William and Kate; Harry and Chelsy.

The comparsion was obvious.

Harry and Chelsy looked like they were in an equal relationship, no one called the shots. Ultimately Chelsy called time in the end; that life was not for her. But while it lasted it was open and recognised.

During that time Kate was William's long term (largely) unrecognised girlfriend.

Yes, once William had made up his mind, all went well for Kate.

But there is no doubt who looked the happiest couple during those years.

Which just goes to show you can't really judge a relationship from the outside looking in.

Harry and Chelsy are yesterday's news while William and Catherine are happily married with children.

It's like what people have been saying throughout the thread. Every couple is different and what's 'true love' for one isn't true love for another.

Whatever works, works.

Last edited:
Rumours of Fred are just that rumours which we don't talk about here. Mary and Fred seem a happy couple who work well as a team.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If you look in the "right" magazines there are rumours about all couples mentioned in this thread :lol:

Which just goes to show you can't really judge a relationship from the outside looking in.

Harry and Chelsy are yesterday's news while William and Catherine are happily married with children.

It's like what people have been saying throughout the thread. Every couple is different and what's 'true love' for one isn't true love for another.

Whatever works, works.
Its not really a case of "what's true love" though? Im sure that Harry and Chelsy were in love. It wasn't JUST a relationship were she was with him because of his position (though I'd say his position mattered to an extent). But it was a young love and didn't survive separation... Will is a more serious type of guy than Harry and I think that while he may have taken a bit of time to decided that Kate was the one, once he did, he was in the relationship for keeps. And yes of course it does show that "looking all happy" or PDA doesn't mean a damn thing.. I think that WIll was determined to keep the relationship with Kate as private a possible until it was official, because he hates the press - it does not mean that he didn't love her.

If you look in the "right" magazines there are rumours about all couples mentioned in this thread :lol:

I have seen posters on another forum refer to soemthing about Frederik, Its not from the sort of mag that deals in scandal and rumours..

Last edited by a moderator:
PDA comes in many forms as well. Some couples are all over each other in public and some aren't

I like the little things William and Catherine do. The hand holding, the smiles, the brushing up against each other, William's hand on Catherine's back.

They balance each other out. William said he is dry and Catherine is naughty. I think they have great chemistry.

Like any royal couple, it's whatever works. Different strokes, for different folks.

The rumors are more widespread about certain couples, though.

Personally I go by the rule of three; if you hear the rumor from three different sources, it's true. ;)

I have seen posters on another forum refer to soemthing about Frederik, Its not from the sort of mag that deals in scandal and rumours..

ah yes, because if it's on the internet, it must be true :lol: but seriously, it really depends on the forum of course, but i know of forums where spreading gossip is a way of life, they are worse than all regular gossip mags thrown together, so i'd be very careful with what is said on forums like that...

Last edited:
Speculation based upon rumour and gossip is discouraged on this particular forum - on the other hand, going back to the topic of the thread to discuss which marriages we think are true love is positively encouraged.

PDA comesThey balance each other out. William said he is dry and Catherine is naughty. I think they have great chemistry.

Like any royal couple, it's whatever works. Different strokes, for different folks.
They don't have any chemistry, IMO because they simply aren't charismatic. But I'm sure they are reasonably close. they suit each other, both being rather apathetic people.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia have faced rumours about their relationship in some sections of the Spanish media I believe, but it hasn't really seeped out into the English-speaking world. I do think that the little adoring looks they give each other at times are absolutely delightful, and not for PR.

ah yes, because if it's on the internet, it must be true :lol: but seriously, it really depends on the forum of course, but i know of forums where spreading gossip is a way of life, they are worse than all regular gossip mags thrown together, so i'd be very careful with what is said on forums like that...

I didn't say that "because it was on the internet it must be true".

King Felipe and Queen Letizia have faced rumours about their relationship in some sections of the Spanish media I believe, but it hasn't really seeped out into the English-speaking world. I do think that the little adoring looks they give each other at times are absolutely delightful, and not for PR.

I'd assume as there was a fair bit of opposition from the RF to Felipe marrying her, he is in love certainly and she probably is, because she had to overcome a lot of hostility from the RF. And I'm sure that in Catholic SPain, his marrying a divorcee wasn't thought well of by many of the public.

Overcoming obstacles and resolving problems together is really the cement that holds a marriage together and allows for the love between two people to grow. Being "in love" is a feeling. Actively loving each other takes work and commitment.

well yes but I thought that wahat this thread was about was, which married couples married because they DID have a love feeling, or which of htem was it for convenience. I think for example Rainer and Grace were close to the convenience side, but they did have a fondness for each other and they DID try to make the marriage work and it grew into love. Perhaps not a perfect love, I think that they both had times when things were not good, their children were a problem and they spent time apart with other lovers.. but under all the problems I think that they DID care deeply..
With more modern young royals I feel that of course they are promoted as being in love but are tehy? perhaps the male Royal partner is, but is the woman perhaps dazzled by his position?

I think that's always probably the case when a Royal or someone who has world wide celebrity has when they marry. However deeply in love they are, however wonderfully happy they are together, there probably is still that little niggle in the middle of the night "Does ---- really love me as I love him/her or is it my fame/position that's part of the attraction?" Sometimes you have to trust your instincts, though....

That IMO is why it may well be better for a Royal to marry another royal or at least an aristocrat who is less likely to be dazzled by the wealth or position.
I think Grace Kelly was fond of Rainier, was attracted by him but as an American didn't really understand Europe or the Royal duties and obligations. I think in his case HE was the one who was marrying for convenience more. She was probably ab it closer to "in love."
NOt that she was stupid, or that she didn't grow into the role, she did very well but I think at first there were things that she didn't really know or understand and it took time. I think she wanted out of the film business but then began to miss acting and didn't realise that at that time, it wasn't really going to be possible for her to act

Last edited:
The biographies I've read don't indicate it was a love match on her part ...based on what I've read, while she may have been somewhat fond of him, it was a marriage of status/position.

LaRae

For me it is a bit hard to believe that there weren't feelings, of whatever nature they may have been,after having seen how hearbroken Rainier was during Grace's funeral. It is in moments like that that you can't fake.

That was after years of marriage though, and Grace's tragic death.

I do think at the beginning that Grace had grown somewhat tired of Hollywood and of acting. She was getting into her later twenties in an era when women married earlier than they do now. She liked Rainier I think, and was intrigued by the idea of being a princess in a stunning little country.

I don't think she was desperately in love with him or anything, (or he with her for that matter) but they were compatible and it was the right time for both to marry. I do believe that love grew between them over the years.

They don't have any chemistry, IMO because they simply aren't charismatic. But I'm sure they are reasonably close. they suit each other, both being rather apathetic people.

I agree, 100%. I think they(William and Kate) would be better suited as some well off country squires married to one another and out of the spotlight. I just can't see these two future as king and queen.

Even the rather lackluster George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon appeared more charismatic and regal, not to mention actually interested in what was going on outside their tight little circle.

But the Cambridges seem devoted as parents and have delightfully adorable children. If building a happy family life with well adjusted children is their true goal they are right on track.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, William and Catherine have some great love between them. Remember the royals try to be professional when in public and the British royals can be a bit stiff too and shy too. It's a different story behind closed doors and in those bedrooms.

The British royals don't fool me!

Back
Top Bottom