The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla View Post
Good question.

Maxima: No. I think as a wealthy latina she would consider mingeling with ordinary tradesmen beneath her.

Mary: No. she seemed to have much higher aspirations.

Mette-Marit: Yes. It frequently appears that she would prefer it if Haakon actually was a plumber.

Marie: No. she seemed quite smug on her engagement photos.

Letizia: Yes. I never got the impression she actively sought him out in hopes of elevating her standing in society.
Agree completely.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria and Daniel

Edward and Sophie

William and Kate

Mette Marit and Haakon

Mathilde and Philippe

I think those royals have found true love.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

"True love" is such a broad term that we could say they all have found true love, just in different forms. Love in marriages can be anything from finding your best friend to finding someone you feel you cannot live without. I think a lot of Royal marriages are exceptionally happy, whether they show it in public or not. I for one think it's nice that they don't all hold hands are are affectionate toward one another in public, mainly because I think love and marriage are such personal things that should often be kept for the two involved. The ony marriage I do think has found true love and has definitely lasted is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. They have truely for a best friend in each other and we all know they do not openly show affection toward one another, but you know it's there. Something has to have been there for 63 years. They come from an era where divorce was frowned upon (even though 3 of their children divorced), so they knew that when they married it had to be "forever", which I think they found.

I also think Victoria and Daniel have found true love as you could see from their wedding how involved with one another they were; how invested they were in each other. It was lovely to see, and although they are very open in public, they clearly adore one another.

Another couple I think is Edward and Sophie. Although many people believe he married her to hush all the rumours he was homosexual (even one of the Health Care Assistants I worked with yesterday mentioned it in terms of the Royal family, so it's a common thought), I think the do truely love each other. In the earlier years of their marriage you could see a lot of love between them, just from glances at one another and particular smiles. It's not so evident nowadays, but they have two very young children, however you can still see in many instances they still love one another deeply, and I believe they found "the right one" in each other. Edward has said on many occasions that he found a best friend in Sophie and vice versa. I do not believe that Edward is gay, nor do I think he married Sophie to cover up for that, mainly because Sophie appears to be a strong woman, someone who stands up for herself and I do NOT think she would say with this man for almost 20 years when deep down she knew he was gay nor would she have had children with him.

I think the key to successful marriages (and "true love" stories) is friendship, among other things but predominantly friendship. I hate to quote a television show but The X Files put it wonderfully when it was on TV all those years ago. "The best relationships, the ones that last, are the ones that are rooted in friendship."

Cue the end of my soppy post.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
"True love" is such a broad term that we could say they all have found true love, just in different forms. Love in marriages can be anything from finding your best friend to finding someone you feel you cannot live without. I think a lot of Royal marriages are exceptionally happy, whether they show it in public or not. I for one think it's nice that they don't all hold hands are are affectionate toward one another in public, mainly because I think love and marriage are such personal things that should often be kept for the two involved. The ony marriage I do think has found true love and has definitely lasted is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. They have truely for a best friend in each other and we all know they do not openly show affection toward one another, but you know it's there. Something has to have been there for 63 years. They come from an era where divorce was frowned upon (even though 3 of their children divorced), so they knew that when they married it had to be "forever", which I think they found.

I also think Victoria and Daniel have found true love as you could see from their wedding how involved with one another they were; how invested they were in each other. It was lovely to see, and although they are very open in public, they clearly adore one another.

Another couple I think is Edward and Sophie. Although many people believe he married her to hush all the rumours he was homosexual (even one of the Health Care Assistants I worked with yesterday mentioned it in terms of the Royal family, so it's a common thought), I think the do truely love each other. In the earlier years of their marriage you could see a lot of love between them, just from glances at one another and particular smiles. It's not so evident nowadays, but they have two very young children, however you can still see in many instances they still love one another deeply, and I believe they found "the right one" in each other. Edward has said on many occasions that he found a best friend in Sophie and vice versa. I do not believe that Edward is gay, nor do I think he married Sophie to cover up for that, mainly because Sophie appears to be a strong woman, someone who stands up for herself and I do NOT think she would say with this man for almost 20 years when deep down she knew he was gay nor would she have had children with him.

I think the key to successful marriages (and "true love" stories) is friendship, among other things but predominantly friendship. I hate to quote a television show but The X Files put it wonderfully when it was on TV all those years ago. "The best relationships, the ones that last, are the ones that are rooted in friendship."

Moolly2101 , who nice put all together
I just must agree with you about this three couples and also to add

Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima
Prince Haakon and Princess Mette Marit
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Nobility

To be in true love is to be happy together no matter what is going on.

Victoria and Daniel

Edward and Sophie

Mette Marit and Haakon

Mathilde and Philippe

Older couples

QMII and Henrik
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip
Queen Anne Marie and Constantie of Greece
Harald and Sonja of Norway
Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

You bring up some very valid points, especially about 'true love' being a very broad and subjective expression. I think it means different things to different people, and it's hard to judge who found it and who didn't, because our definition may not agree with theirs. My choices are solely based on what I've read/heard/seen, and will include some couples who are no longer living.

George VI and Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mother)
Tsar Nikolai II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip
Duke and Duchess of Cornwall
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
Earl and Countess of Wessex

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

George VI and Elizabeth
Wallis and Edward
Charles and Camilla
Victoria and Albert
Nicholas II and Alexandra
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you think MC would marry Pavlos if he was a plumer?I think she would.They have been married for a long time and they seem to make it work.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

Charles and Camila***Mary and Frederick of Denmark***
Maxima and Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Czar nicholas II and Alexandra
Queen Victoria and prince Albert
Prince William and Catherine Middleton
Queen Elizabeth II and prince Phillip,duke of Edinburgh
Queen margarethe II and prince consort henrik
Crown prince Frederik and Mary
Crown princess Victoria and Daniel

In no specific order
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Nobility

Without question
Haakon and Mette Marit
Victoria and Daniel
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, Wallis and Edward were not "true love". Elizabeth and Philip, were dubious many years ago. It looks better,, now, as they have aged and he would have never left for amusement. He is true blue, also, know wich side his bread was buttered on.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Aristocracy

From the balcony kiss at the Monaco Royal Wedding it is obvious that this is true love
Old 07-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Nobility

Based on what they had to go through to be together
Charles and Camilla
Sonia and Harald
Mette-Marit and Haakon

Based on longterm their longterm courtships when any of them could have backed out
William and Catherine
Victoria and Daniel

I also felt King Hussein and Queen Noor were a true love match

I'm sure many of them are but it's difficult to speculate.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel
Felipe and Letizia
William and Catherine
Philippe and Mathilde
Willem Alexander and Maxima
Harald and Sonja
Elizabeth II and Philip
Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP
Do you think MC would marry Pavlos if he was a plumer?I think she would.They have been married for a long time and they seem to make it work.

I will try to be positive in my disagreement with your reasoning involving MC. 'HRH Crown Princess' Marie-Chantal of Greece (Princess of Denmark?)'s vocabulary does not include the word 'plumber.' To believe absolute nonsense that she would have married HRH Crown Prince of Pavlos even if he was a plumber, only proves how utterly naive some people can be in
assuming the positive. She is an heiress in her own right - she received a trust fund of 250 million dollars on her 21st birthday. Marie-Chantal Miller marry a plumber? Surely you cannot be serious!
On a postive note, MC oldest child and only daughter, HRH Princess Maria-Olympia Denmark, is very beautiful young lady.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Serene Highness

King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden and both his wives, Princess Margaret of Connaught and Lady Louise Mountbatten
Prince Bertil of Sweden and Mrs Lilian Craig
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Mary and Frederik
Maxima and Willem Alexander
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

My husband and I !
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Courtier

Victoria & Daniel
Haakon & Mette-Marit