Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Love and Friendship

Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
Lets see

Edward and Wallis (He ABDICATED a throne for her)
Haakon and Mette-Marit (He put his parents through hell to marry her)
Badouin and Fabiola (He reamined married to her even with no heir)

Fred and Mary & Felipe and Letizia are, IMO, acts. The men may have been in love in the women but I have a hard time believing that this is anything but social-climbing for Letizia and Mary (esp. Mary)
Edward was besotted with Wallis, no doubt, but was she? I think not...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Edward was besotted with Wallis, no doubt, but was she? I think not...
Probably not..... Even in the current couples I think Haakon, Frederick and Felipe are more in love with their wives than the wives are with them. Esp. in the Danish case- IMO, Mary does not seem to be in it for love
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Royal Highness

About Mary:that could become a great dramatic movie or novel....I'm not being ironic here,I just want to say that nobody knows that,so it would be much better not to express things that we just suspect...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Probably not..... Even in the current couples I think Haakon, Frederick and Felipe are more in love with their wives than the wives are with them. Esp. in the Danish case- IMO, Mary does not seem to be in it for love
Personally, when I see this picture, I cannot doubt that CP Mary loves very much her husband.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/sp771ffb.jpg
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Nobility

I think in pictures Frederick shows he loves Mary more than Mary shows it but, IMO, that doesn't mean that Mary is not in love with him. (if that makes any since)
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Royal Highness

Of course it makes sense.There are many types of people:some like to show their feelings publicly and some others are more restrained.It's just a matter of character.For example,a person I find really relaxed to express her love in public is Marie,while Mary and Letizia are very different.But that doesn't mean they are not in love with their husbands.They just have the ability to control it.I remember Anna-Maria and the way she looked Constantine:her true love was so obvious(although she was really shy)!!As you can see,there are so many ways to express your love.That's why we shouldn't judge someone's feelings towards his/her "other half" by the way she/he behaves in public.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Royal Highness

I think it is important to emphasize what we all know, and that is there are many kinds of love, and we see it in all our dear royals. Some are lovey dovey, some are soul mates and best friends, some are very protective of one another etc etc.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Edward and Wallis (He ABDICATED a throne for her)
No! He backed himself into a corner threatening to abdicate like a child holding his breath. He was the last one the think TPTB would actually say, "Yes thank you"! He is probably the only King in history to lose his throne by throwing his toys out of the cot! Once he had he was stuck with it and her.
Quote:
Fred and Mary & Felipe and Letizia are, IMO, acts. The men may have been in love in the women but I have a hard time believing that this is anything but social-climbing for Letizia and Mary (esp. Mary)
Do you have any special reason for your somewhat harsh judgement of Letizia and Mary?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen and Prince Philip.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

I thought this thread was about young couples that are i n l o v e with each other and not old couples that love and care for each other.You see the word "love" in English is not that precise.In Greek there are 2 different words that describe these 2 different feelings.But nevermind,let's talk about whoever we want.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Nobility

What do you think about Prince William and Kate? Do you think they have "true love"?

Somehow I don't think that they are in love with each other like CP Mary and CP Frederik, and CP Maxima and CP WA are with each other, IMO. I don't know if they are together because the are in love or they are comfortable with each other because they have been together for so long.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm... good point. Maybe they are just very restrained when it comes to showing their affections for each other in public? But from seeing pictures of them together their body language seems to indicate that they love each other.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

True love royal couples IMO:
Rainer and Grace of Monaco
Mathilde and Phillipe of Belgium
Rania and Abdullah of Jordan

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Royal Highness

Psycologists have hemmed and hawed about the definition of love. The most accepted version is that true love is "giving of yourself without giving up yourself", now, with that in mind, to whom of the royal couples can it apply? Maxima, Mathilde and Mette Marit, have not given up an ounce of personality even being married to crown princes. The others I will not say, because I really don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but Mary seemed to change immensly, Letizia gave up a hell of a career, I wonder how she feels about that? Princess Grace als felt a gr8 loss by giving up her career, and bemoaned her loss of independence.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Nobility

I think it's very hard to judge who is in love and who isn't .Even within a marrige there are different kinds of love and individuals show love differently some are more restrained but it dosen't mean it dosen't exist.
I always think of Prince Rainer walking behind Gace's coffin and I have no doubt he was very in love with her.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
I think it's very hard to judge who is in love and who isn't .Even within a marrige there are different kinds of love and individuals show love differently some are more restrained but it dosen't mean it dosen't exist.
I always think of Prince Rainer walking behind Gace's coffin and I have no doubt he was very in love with her.
Yes, over the years they developed a very close relationship, but most biographers of the Grimaldis maintained that it wasn't a love match, yet developed into something very special.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Aristocracy

Filip & Mathilde
Charles & Camilla
Maxima & Willem-Alexander
Laurent & Claire
Joachim & Marie
Boudewijn & Fabiola
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Nobility

I think Prince Charles and Camilla, Maxima and WA, and Haakon and MM truely love each other. They fought for the right to marry who they loved even though they had 'objectionable' pasts/family.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Not only is a couple marrying each other but also accepting a huge burden representing their respective royal families. You had better love that royal prince because you are giving up freedom and submitting yourself and your children to life-long public scrutiny. You may have to put up with royal in-laws who (as any in-laws can be) a real pain in the neck. Forget holidays with your own family - your "family" is now the royal family. You will be criticized for any sick days taken when you should be visiting a hospital or children's home. When you travel abroad officially, you don't get to sightsee what you want to see, but what your hosts want you to see. Too tired after a long day meeting dignataries? The just hustle yourself into a long gown and tiara and meet even more people. No excuses.
And I won't even get into the fashion aspect of becoming a princess -

Tags
royal, true love