The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Commoner

Transition into Royal Life

I began following the the British Royals, mainly Catherine, after the royal wedding in 2011. That led me to discover other royals from other countries. So basically I been following Catherine, Charlene, and Stephanie since their weddings.

I find it interesting how they have had different transitions into royal life.
  • Charlene began doing solo engagements and receiving patronages right away.
  • Catherine did her first solo engagement 6 months after her marriage. She recieved her first solo patronages and did her first speech 10 months after her marriage.
  • Stephanie did her first solo engagement 2 years after her marriage and has had an overall slow introduction into royal life.
So my question is about the other royal ladies: Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, and Maxima's transition into royal life to those who followed them when it happened.
  • Who had the fastest and slowest transition into royal life?
  • Did they have an easy or difficult time?
  • Overall which Royal House handled the situation the best?
IMO I think the best transitions is to wait a little and allow the women to get adjusted.
  • I feel like Charlene had the hardest transition, she had to jump right in because she married the sovereign. I applaud her for dealing with so many new things all at once.
  • I think Catherine had the best transition. She was given time to settle and enjoy being married and learn about all the different patronages before she had to do them, but they didn't wait too long.
  • Stephanie had the worst transition. I feel like Stephanie could have began doing solo engagement after one year. Waiting two years to do a solo engagement made her seem not hard working enough.
I'm curious with how Charlene, Catherine and Stephanie transition into royal life compares to the other ladies overall.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Sofia of Sweden has had a pretty easy transition into royal life so far. She has already been doing a number of engagements in Sweden and I think some by herself. I find the ones who start of working and getting the hang of things right away, are the ones who do the best in the long run. It shows people there willing to work and lets the people see them out and about.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Sofia had it a bit easier then others. She didn't take on new patronages and work. Other than her tours with her husband and events with her in laws. She has continued her work with Project playground. So nothing has changed save the title, work vs royal engagement. Hopefully when she gets back from maternity leave, she is encouraged to take on some royal patronages and not simply her own charity.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She is encouraged to take on some royal patronages and not simply her own charity.
I think after she has the baby she will take on more work and start taking on some royal patronages and projects. I think her pregnancy is why she hasn't so far.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Courtier

CP Masako has the toughest transition. Adjustment disorder since 2002

Empress Michiko also had very difficult transitions. She reportedly suffered nervous breakdowns and lost her voice for several months in the 1960s and again in 1993.

Princess Sofia probably had the smoothest/easiest transition. She already represented a charity (as co-founder of Project Playground) and also had experience dealing with the media/public as a model and reality TV starlet. Becoming a princess expands her influence.

HGD Stephanie's slow solo debut is difficult for me to judge too harshly. She went from unknown to royal fiancée quickly and then, her mother died shortly before the wedding. Grief likely complicated the transition. Also, Luxembourg's royals have fewer events/patronages anyway and the Cour doesn't update their activities consistently. Luxarazzi reported Stephanie's first solo engagement as a jewellery store visit during the Japan economic trip in October 2014. In contrast, the Cour appears to have her first solo engagement in March 2015 since they did not mention her solo Japan event or her solo events during Germany's state visit in Nov 2014.

Princess Charlene had a hard time. She married the sovereign (not heir or younger son or heir's heir) and following Princess Grace and Princess Caroline as Monaco's "first lady" must have been quite a challenge. At least she attended events with Prince Albert much earlier.

Wasn't the Duchess of Cambridge's first solo engagement unexpected? She stepped in when Prince Charles had to attend a funeral. Not sure when her first "planned" solo should have been. Anyway, Catherine did well. The BRF and especially Prince William are careful about royal transitions given Diana's and Sarah's troubles.

I've read CP Mary's and Queen Mathilde's first solo engagement were quick. Mary after 1 month and Mathilde after 3 months of marriage. Queen Letizia unexpectedly had a solo engagement around 6 months (?) after marriage and then a long gap before the next one. Queen Maxima's first solo engagement was around 1.5 years after marriage and CP Mette-Marit took the longest at 3 years.