Transition into Royal Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Pris

Commoner
City
Southern California
Country
United States
I began following the the British Royals, mainly Catherine, after the royal wedding in 2011. That led me to discover other royals from other countries. So basically I been following Catherine, Charlene, and Stephanie since their weddings.

I find it interesting how they have had different transitions into royal life.

• Charlene began doing solo engagements and receiving patronages right away.
  • Catherine did her first solo engagement 6 months after her marriage. She recieved her first solo patronages and did her first speech 10 months after her marriage.
  • Stephanie did her first solo engagement 2 years after her marriage and has had an overall slow introduction into royal life.
So my question is about the other royal ladies: Mary, Letizia, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, and Maxima's transition into royal life to those who followed them when it happened.

• Who had the fastest and slowest transition into royal life?
  • Did they have an easy or difficult time?
  • Overall which Royal House handled the situation the best?
IMO I think the best transitions is to wait a little and allow the women to get adjusted.

• I feel like Charlene had the hardest transition, she had to jump right in because she married the sovereign. I applaud her for dealing with so many new things all at once.
  • I think Catherine had the best transition. She was given time to settle and enjoy being married and learn about all the different patronages before she had to do them, but they didn't wait too long.
  • Stephanie had the worst transition. I feel like Stephanie could have began doing solo engagement after one year. Waiting two years to do a solo engagement made her seem not hard working enough.
I'm curious with how Charlene, Catherine and Stephanie transition into royal life compares to the other ladies overall.

Princess Sofia of Sweden has had a pretty easy transition into royal life so far. She has already been doing a number of engagements in Sweden and I think some by herself. I find the ones who start of working and getting the hang of things right away, are the ones who do the best in the long run. It shows people there willing to work and lets the people see them out and about.

Sofia had it a bit easier then others. She didn't take on new patronages and work. Other than her tours with her husband and events with her in laws. She has continued her work with Project playground. So nothing has changed save the title, work vs royal engagement. Hopefully when she gets back from maternity leave, she is encouraged to take on some royal patronages and not simply her own charity.

She is encouraged to take on some royal patronages and not simply her own charity.

I think after she has the baby she will take on more work and start taking on some royal patronages and projects. I think her pregnancy is why she hasn't so far. :flowers:

CP Masako has the toughest transition. Adjustment disorder since 2002 :sad:

Empress Michiko also had very difficult transitions. She reportedly suffered nervous breakdowns and lost her voice for several months in the 1960s and again in 1993.

Princess Sofia probably had the smoothest/easiest transition. She already represented a charity (as co-founder of Project Playground) and also had experience dealing with the media/public as a model and reality TV starlet. Becoming a princess expands her influence.

HGD Stephanie's slow solo debut is difficult for me to judge too harshly. She went from unknown to royal fiancée quickly and then, her mother died shortly before the wedding. Grief likely complicated the transition. Also, Luxembourg's royals have fewer events/patronages anyway and the Cour doesn't update their activities consistently. Luxarazzi reported Stephanie's first solo engagement as a jewellery store visit during the Japan economic trip in October 2014. In contrast, the Cour appears to have her first solo engagement in March 2015 since they did not mention her solo Japan event or her solo events during Germany's state visit in Nov 2014.

Princess Charlene had a hard time. She married the sovereign (not heir or younger son or heir's heir) and following Princess Grace and Princess Caroline as Monaco's "first lady" must have been quite a challenge. At least she attended events with Prince Albert much earlier.

Wasn't the Duchess of Cambridge's first solo engagement unexpected? She stepped in when Prince Charles had to attend a funeral. Not sure when her first "planned" solo should have been. Anyway, Catherine did well. The BRF and especially Prince William are careful about royal transitions given Diana's and Sarah's troubles.

I've read CP Mary's and Queen Mathilde's first solo engagement were quick. Mary after 1 month and Mathilde after 3 months of marriage. Queen Letizia unexpectedly had a solo engagement around 6 months (?) after marriage and then a long gap before the next one. Queen Maxima's first solo engagement was around 1.5 years after marriage and CP Mette-Marit took the longest at 3 years.

A Royal Christmas is fictitious. However, there is a lesson to be learned. What does the young American lady Emily Taylor know about the proper etiquette of royal court? Victor the butler prepares her for the ball: how to greet nobility, how to dance elegantly, how to curtsey and turn, how to remove a glove and take a canape.

I knew as soon as I saw Lacey Chabert that this was a Hallmark movie. Although I classify them as happy, sappy and even sometimes crappy holiday movies and we watch just about all of them, I think you're spot on with what Emily Taylor goes through in the movie becoming familiar with royal traditions and protocol and it can be a daunting project to say the least. Not to be a spoiler but even HM, The Queen in the movie learns a thing or two in process.

This movie has been around for a while now and I think I've seen it 2 or 3 times. :lol:

A Princess for Christmas is fictious. Jules Daly from Buffalo, New York travels to a faraway land with her young nephew and niece. They are the grandchildren of the Sovereign. Jules is introduced to the staff. Mrs. Birch, the maid tells Jules dinner is half past eight. Do be prompt. His Grace does not want tardiness.
Ashton, the Sovereign's second son gives Jules waltz lessons. She gets a ball gown from Vienna.

Pretty sure most married ins have some sort of training in protocol and what's expected of them, it's just sometimes the public disagrees with which is truly expected protocol, which is just usual and what is simply a matter of personal choice.

Prior to the engagement and marriage Kate received some unpleasant comments re the delay in an engagement, but on reflection it paid off or them. They had a substantial amount of time as a couple, with privacy, allowing them to make choices and decisions without the pressure. Although we didn't see her at public events, it is hard to believe they did not attend private family events as a couple. Even after marriage it was a gradual introduction to public duty, first as a couple, Kate avoided speeches, took her time. If that was what was right for her well good luck to them.

Letizia had her first solo engagement on November 4, 2004 when she attended the 9th Congress of Ibero-American History Academies.

https://letiziarchive.blogspot.com/2004/11/9th-congress-of-ibero-american-history.html?m=0

Mary had her first solo engagement on June 13, 2004 when she attended the pony championships.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...st-solo-engagement-june-13-2004-a-2599-2.html

I think that whoever joins a royal family has to have some kind of preparation beforehand. And then when they are ready they start to have their solo agenda.

CP Masako has the toughest transition. Adjustment disorder since 2002 :sad:

Empress Michiko also had very difficult transitions. She reportedly suffered nervous breakdowns and lost her voice for several months in the 1960s and again in 1993.

Princess Sofia probably had the smoothest/easiest transition. She already represented a charity (as co-founder of Project Playground) and also had experience dealing with the media/public as a model and reality TV starlet. Becoming a princess expands her influence.

HGD Stephanie's slow solo debut is difficult for me to judge too harshly. She went from unknown to royal fiancée quickly and then, her mother died shortly before the wedding. Grief likely complicated the transition. Also, Luxembourg's royals have fewer events/patronages anyway and the Cour doesn't update their activities consistently. Luxarazzi reported Stephanie's first solo engagement as a jewellery store visit during the Japan economic trip in October 2014. In contrast, the Cour appears to have her first solo engagement in March 2015 since they did not mention her solo Japan event or her solo events during Germany's state visit in Nov 2014.

Princess Charlene had a hard time. She married the sovereign (not heir or younger son or heir's heir) and following Princess Grace and Princess Caroline as Monaco's "first lady" must have been quite a challenge. At least she attended events with Prince Albert much earlier.

Wasn't the Duchess of Cambridge's first solo engagement unexpected? She stepped in when Prince Charles had to attend a funeral. Not sure when her first "planned" solo should have been. Anyway, Catherine did well. The BRF and especially Prince William are careful about royal transitions given Diana's and Sarah's troubles.

I've read CP Mary's and Queen Mathilde's first solo engagement were quick. Mary after 1 month and Mathilde after 3 months of marriage. Queen Letizia unexpectedly had a solo engagement around 6 months (?) after marriage and then a long gap before the next one. Queen Maxima's first solo engagement was around 1.5 years after marriage and CP Mette-Marit took the longest at 3 years.

What was Mette-Marit's first solo engagement?

I agree about Stéphanie. She had a very slow transition in the Royal Family. But Luxembourg is a small country and maybe the Royal House didn't find many commitments for her to do. Today Stéphanie already has more commitments.

Letizia had her first solo engagement a few months after her wedding. But it took a long time before she had her own agenda.

Letizia had her first solo engagement on November 4, 2004 when she attended the 9th Congress of Ibero-American History Academies.

https://letiziarchive.blogspot.com/2004/11/9th-congress-of-ibero-american-history.html?m=0

Mary had her first solo engagement on June 13, 2004 when she attended the pony championships.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...st-solo-engagement-june-13-2004-a-2599-2.html

I think that whoever joins a royal family has to have some kind of preparation beforehand. And then when they are ready they start to have their solo agenda.

In Crown Princess Mary's case, she had to learn a new culture and language and she was still able to have her first solo engagement a month after her wedding. She began giving speeches very early on as well. She hit the ground running pretty much. Yes, in the beginning she aligned herself with the Danish fashion industry and got a little flack for it...but she soon began to define her areas of interest and by 2007 had launched her own foundation which has been extremely successful. Further, in DK the royals are expected to answer press questions so she had to deal with that as well during her engagements. She quickly had her own calendar of events and trip abroad, including visiting Danish troops in Afghanistan in 2009.

Last edited:
What was Mette-Marit's first solo engagement?
On november 6th 2001 she attended the 100th anniversary of Oslo gymnastics. Afaik that was her first solo engagement after her wedding on 25 of august 2001 and the troubled hooneymoon til New York during 9/11

Newcomers to Royal life are well prepared,and they in turn,having significant grey cells,know very well how to adjust as we see In Denmark,Sweden,Norway,Belgium,Spain and here with our own gem,Queen Maxima.

They do know where they´re getting themselves into and get all the support from within.No worries.

The Swedish Royal Court published a press release in February 2010:

Since January 2010, Mr. Daniel Westling has been participating in a program at the Royal Court with the aim of deepening the knowledge of the Court's organization. Among other things, knowledge of the ceremonies and the cultural heritage associated with the history of the monarchy is included. Mr. Daniel Westling will make study visits to various departments within the organization.
The program also includes studies in political science, the work of the Riksdag and the government, state and municipal administration, Swedish history and activities related to Swedish cultural life. The program initially extends over 1.5 years. Study supervisor for Mr. Daniel Westling is the Deputy Master of Ceremonies at the Royal Court, Brigadier General Jan-Eric Warren.
Daniel Westlings prinsskola återigen - det här läser han! - Hovbloggen

Being a royal watcher for over some 25 years now, I have been exceptionally impressed by Crown Princess Mary and Queen Màxima.

Those 2 women couldn't come from more different countries than their adopted ones. They had to learn completely unfamiliar languages, new customs, and new cultures. They have thrived and become incredibly successful in their roles.

There have been challenges over the years. For ex. I remember a certain sect of royal watchers who predicted the Danish Crown Princely marriage wouldn't last a year. CP Mary was accused of scheming her way in CP Frederik's life (as if), she was nicknamed "the Prada Princess"...etc. However, she has just taken off exponentially and grown in her role immensely. She is a fantastic mother, I remember being deeply impressed with the children early on- on their closeness. The kids really look out for each other and equally admirable is the respect the children have for others. I recall in Greenland one of the twins shyly smiling at a baby and politely asking their mother if they could touch the baby. To me that showed that the Danish kids have what we call "good home training".

Queen Màxima too had challenges in those early years. She said things that she shouldn't have said, there were the early jet-set lifestyle they seemed to have , the Mozambique drama, but perhaps the greatest was the loss of her sister to suicide (a fate also shared by Queen Letizia's sister). I can't imagine how incredibly difficult that must be. I recall her 50th birthday interview how emotional and honest she was about the toll it took on her and the family.
I especially love seeing her compassion in action. I remember tearing up when a long-time supporter who showed up to nearly all her engagements from her Princess years to her being a Queen attended her final one as she was sick with cancer. That moment when the Queen hugged her and comforted her is one I'll never forget.

Denmark and the Netherlands have every reason to proud.

The Swedish Royal Court published a press release in February 2010:

Since January 2010, Mr. Daniel Westling has been participating in a program at the Royal Court with the aim of deepening the knowledge of the Court's organization. Among other things, knowledge of the ceremonies and the cultural heritage associated with the history of the monarchy is included. Mr. Daniel Westling will make study visits to various departments within the organization.
The program also includes studies in political science, the work of the Riksdag and the government, state and municipal administration, Swedish history and activities related to Swedish cultural life. The program initially extends over 1.5 years. Study supervisor for Mr. Daniel Westling is the Deputy Master of Ceremonies at the Royal Court, Brigadier General Jan-Eric Warren.
Daniel Westlings prinsskola återigen - det här läser han! - Hovbloggen
And they only got married in June 2011, so at the end of his 1 1/2 year 'study program'.

When Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti became seriously engaged with the Prince of Orange, from that moment a whole operation started, a sort of task force was set up to make the transition. One of Queen Beatrix' hofdames was detached into Máxima's service (Ottoline Antoinette Gaarlandt-Van Voorst van Beesd). That hofdame would become a dear friend and continued into the service of Queen Máxima, until her retirement.

By the way, also Meghan Markle was offered intensive guidance and counsel (she complained she was thrown into the deep, but she had her fiancé to begin with and advisors were assigned to her).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom