The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Personally I would have preferred Stéphanie de Lannoy or Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz as Queen of the Netherlands. It is strange to see that "Calvinist" Netherlands has such an exuberant Queen, not too afraid to glitz and glam but also not to look like a mess on heels. Such a person one would expect in Spain and such a restraint and under-the-radar person as Letizia, one would expect such a figure behind the big and bold blonde King... But strangely enough the catholic and true latina Máxima also seems to touch protestants and also in Calvinist areas the public interest is big when Máxima visits something there. It is a strange world...

Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that several posts have been deleted as they are off-topic. This thread is about which royals are popular in their own countries, not about the work ethics of individual royal.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Personally I would have preferred Stéphanie de Lannoy or Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz as Queen of the Netherlands. It is strange to see that "Calvinist" Netherlands has such an exuberant Queen, not too afraid to glitz and glam but also not to look like a mess on heels. Such a person one would expect in Spain and such a restraint and under-the-radar person as Letizia, one would expect such a figure behind the big and bold blonde King... But strangely enough the catholic and true latina Máxima also seems to touch protestants and also in Calvinist areas the public interest is big when Máxima visits something there. It is a strange world...
Willem-Alexander certainly is a "larger than life" character and exudes boldness and strength, so in some ways it seems fitting that he chose an exuberant wife to match him. But also, the Dutch I wonder have been used to queens who are exuberant and had/have characters quite unique amongst their peers through the generations.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Willem-Alexander certainly is a "larger than life" character and exudes boldness and strength
That's what I like about international forums: l would never in a million years have come up with that description for him, but it's good to know that he is perceived like that by others
Old 12-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Well the Netherlands is NOT Calvinist according to Wikipedia, which may be why the country has no problem with her exuberant personality. Fact from Wikipedia: While 56,1% of the Dutch population are not members of any religious community, the other 43.9% are distributed over a diversity of religions. 34% of the Dutch population is affiliated with a Christian church. The largest group, 23.7%, is Roman Catholic. The rest is distributed over a multitude of Protestant churches making up the 10.2% of the population. The largest of which is the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, which in fact is an alliance of three churches, two Calvinist and one Lutheran
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Willem-Alexander certainly is a "larger than life" character and exudes boldness and strength, so in some ways it seems fitting that he chose an exuberant wife to match him. But also, the Dutch I wonder have been used to queens who are exuberant and had/have characters quite unique amongst their peers through the generations.
Willem-Alexander is a "larger than life figure " ??? I'm sorry, but you must be the first person to make this claim, which BTW goes against the conventional wisdom.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Well the Netherlands is NOT Calvinist according to Wikipedia, which may be why the country has no problem with her exuberant personality. Fact from Wikipedia: While 56,1% of the Dutch population are not members of any religious community, the other 43.9% are distributed over a diversity of religions. 34% of the Dutch population is affiliated with a Christian church. The largest group, 23.7%, is Roman Catholic. The rest is distributed over a multitude of Protestant churches making up the 10.2% of the population. The largest of which is the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, which in fact is an alliance of three churches, two Calvinist and one Lutheran
The Calvinist ethos actually still dominates Dutch culture even though only 16 % of the population now claims membership of Calvinist churches.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Diana was the greatest media star ever in the BRF and immensely popular within Britain and abroad. She brought enormous crowds to her engagements and sold more glossy magazines than any other Royal before or since. Would she have broken the mould and continued to be popular in her fifties, with adult sons and daughter in law in the magazines, or would her star have faded over the decades I wonder, as Princess Margaret's did? (I know Diana wasn't a Royal at the time of her death but I do wonder if her incredible popularity would have been maintained.)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, in Diana's case, that is something we will never know. Going by what I've witnessed here in the different threads, Diana's seem to have long periods of inactivity until someone bumps up a thread and then its a flurry of activity and then goes silent once more.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't know about "lack of decorum", but Queen Fabiola's funeral mass was one of the most touching services I have ever seen.

On your last point, Maxima's "exuberance" sometimes strikes me as too flamboyant for a queen. Mathilde IMHO is more dignified. Since Philippe ascended the throne, the Belgian monarchy has regained much of its charm and glamor (which were really lacking, especially under Albert and Paola), without being inappropriately exuberant at the same time.

Having said that, Belgium is indeed a tough country to reign over because of the ethnic/linguistic divide and the negativity coming not only from the Dutch press, but also from France.
It was indeed a deeply moving Funeral Mass, as unpretentious and lovely as the late Queen Fabiola herself.

Notwithstanding the lack of crowds standing outside in the ghastly rain and windswept streets of Brussels the day of her obsequies Queen Fabiola and King Baudouin were one of the most admired and respected of monarchs in their heyday.(I have dozens of archival articles and magazine covers to prove it) They had dignity, courage and warmth, and they had those qualities at a time when the populace actually noticed and cared about such things.

Duc...IF it's true that the people did not mourn such a queen at her death it says more about them and their current values than it does about her, imo. The people who count most-her family and her Royal peers-certainly mourned her. Even the small Royal children appeared desolate at her loss. Will Royal Europe and the BRF mourn the once beautiful Paola as much as they did the "Nun Queen"? I kind of doubt it. Her own children reportedly have a strained relationship with her as her mothering skills were apparently not ideal. They loved and preferred the Nun Queen.(except Laurent)

Paola had beauty and glamour and fertility...but that's all she had and it's why the tabloids loved her. Then-as now-it's those qualities that sell covers and when those qualities are gone it's all over.

I love Maxima but when she first came on the scene I agree with you Mbruno...I found her a bit de trop, like an over-excited Labrador. But she has toned it down considerably and is, in my opinion, a woman of elegance and formidable intelligence. The Dutch are lucky to have her.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, in Diana's case, that is something we will never know. Going by what I've witnessed here in the different threads, Diana's seem to have long periods of inactivity until someone bumps up a thread and then its a flurry of activity and then goes silent once more.
Yes it does, though as Diana has been dead for 18 years now I suppose that's natural. No new clothes, hairstyles, speeches, lovers, to discuss, or her relationship with her children and their spouses.

Diana though did have tremendous popularity within Britain and Europe and it would have been interesting to see if it would have remained with age and fading looks or whether her experience would have been akin to Margaret, Paola and even Grace.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes it does, though as Diana has been dead for 18 years now I suppose that's natural. No new clothes, hairstyles, speeches, lovers, to discuss, or her relationship with her children and their spouses.

Diana though did have tremendous popularity within Britain and Europe and it would have been interesting to see if it would have remained with age and fading looks or whether her experience would have been akin to Margaret, Paola and even Grace.

I think it would have lasted IMO but of cause we will never know so it is all just our own thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 AM
Courtier

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Did a quick Google and several articles came up on this subject. Harry has openly talked about his struggles with studies because of dyslexia.

Prince Harry Talks About Dyslexia And Press Lies | Contactmusic.com
Thank you Osipi.