The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duc_et_Pair

Here is not the place to argue over Brexit, but for for the record 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', and [for me personally] ANY price is worth paying to be free of the EU..

Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the throne of Game of Thrones is the most powerful, with all the iron and stuff...

oh wait, that's not what was meant?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Majesty

Sometimes a King has, in exactly the same constitutional setting, power which is derived from a strong character, a formidable knowledge in dossiers and being sided by consels with tentacles into "deep state". We can say that Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands or King Juan Carlos were more powerful. King Juan Carlos of course was a derivate from the Franco era but used the powers in the Transition to steer Spain firmly into democracy. Queen Wilhelmina had a very strongwilled personality and the longetivy of her kingship made her a formidable power which she so now and then used in discutable way. Queen Elizabeth has a recordbreaking long reign but the nature of British politics (two clear blocs with a PM holding an own strong mandate) and her own careful character has not resulted in Wilhelmina-esque powerplay. King Charles III has the potential to wield real power, but his Reign probably will lack longetivity to cement a firm position.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth has enormous soft power within the UK. Prime Minsters take her views and opinions very seriously.

She’s been praised by former PMs for her in depth knowledge of government affairs.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Duc_et_Pair

Here is not the place to argue over Brexit, but for for the record 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', and [for me personally] ANY price is worth paying to be free of the EU..
Sure. But so far just looking to: out of the single market, out of the customs union, out of the jurisdiction of the EU Courts, no extended rights for foreign EU citizens, no single penny to Brussels: May and Davis have not held ONE of these dark red lines and firm promises. ALL red lines have been crashed. But you are right: as long as there is no deal, nothing counts. Well, tap each other on the shoulders and "Blimey... don't we have a miraculously splendid diplomacy? HM's recordbreaking Reign and the goodwill trips of Wills and Harry surely have helped! Cheers!"
Old 12-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
The Pope is technically an absolute monarch.
When it is mentioned that the Pope is an absolute monarch, does this refer to religious matters in the Roman Catholic Church only?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, the pope is the absolute monarch and head of state of the Vatican which is, in and of itself, a sovereign state. So, not only head of the Roman Catholic Church but the head of state of the Vatican.

http://vatican.com/articles/info/the...government-a14
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Courtier

The word 'powerful' is too ambiguous a word to measure the different monarchies up against each other. The ones that are absolute, and the ones who have monarchs actively involved in the running of the government, are far more politically powerful than the constitutional ones, but if we are talking about soft power, which I think is more appropriate and a model that works for the monarchy as an institution going forward, all arrows point to H.M Queen Elizabeth II. Being monarch of 16 sovereign states and head of the 52-nation strong Commonwealth, she knows more world leaders and with the longevity of her reign, she has been around to be consulted, advice and warn more political leaders than anyone else alive.
When anyone refers to 'the Queen' in a generalist way, most minds go directly to Elizabeth Regina, and quite frankly, that's a soft power and influence well deserved.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Mass media of democracies of the Western World say that the most powerful man on the Earth is, in fact, the President of the U.S.A., and not any monarch.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Mass media of democracies of the Western World say that the most powerful man on the Earth is, in fact, the President of the U.S.A., and not any monarch.
I disagree. From what I know, the most powerful men in the world are those private moguls that run the Federal Reserves.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/feder...ies-max-kofoed
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I always here that the most powerful man is the President; but that was before the dark day in November 2016. I have no idea why the President is referred as the most powerful; maybe it's because of access to the button.
As for QE2 it just seems like people want to say her because they like her; the woman has no power whatsoever. It's even possible that Charles has more power because he can effect change.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012