The Most Interesting Royal Right Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always been interested in Princess Anne & I wish the rule about male/female succession had been changed retrospectively as she's infinitely more suited to being monarch than her two younger brothers. She's probably happy with her lot though & didn't want titles for her husband or children. She works incredibly hard, she's thrifty, clever & very witty. She's a bit older than I am but she's my generation & I've grown up alongside her. I like her for not bowing to media pressure to be the kind of princess they wanted & instead being true to herself.

She wouldn't be Queen anyway because Prince Charles, her older brother, has several descendants of his own (two sons and three grandchildren already, with a fourth grandchild on his/her way).

Personally, I think it was correct to introduce equal primogeniture in the UK only for people born after 2011. Changing the line of succession retroactively, as it was done with practical effects in Belgium, Denmark and Sweden, and without any practical effect (AFAIK) in the Netherlands, is wrong IMHO because it could be interpreted as an "ex post facto" law. That is somewhat controversial, however, as some experts claim that one's place in the line of succession is not an acquired right, but rather only an "expectation of right", which would become an acquired right only if and when that person were actually in a concrete position to ascend the throne. I leave that discussion to the legal experts though.

Last edited:
for me, monarchs
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Margrethe II

next generation:
CP. Victoria of Sweden

next next generation
P.Estelle of Sweden

Strangely enough I can't come up with a "most interesting" male... :lol:

for me, monarchs
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Margrethe II

next generation:
CP. Victoria of Sweden

next next generation
P.Estelle of Sweden

Strangely enough I can't come up with a "most interesting" male... :lol:

I think Prince Hisahito of Akishino is pretty interesting in the "next next generation" because he is the only eligible heir to the Japanese throne in his generation (under current rules) and that makes him extremely important/special to the country.

In Europe, I think CP Frederik will turn out to be an interesting king after all.

She wouldn't be Queen anyway because Prince Charles, her older brother, has several descendants of his own (two sons and three grandchildren already, with a fourth grandchild on his/her way).
Yes, I think this is well known.

I would just like to see her higher in the succession order than her two less qualified younger brothers but she seems less bothered about it than I am, which makes me like her even more. ?

Personally, I think it was correct to introduce equal primogeniture in the UK only for people born after 2011. Changing the line of succession retroactively, as it was done with practical effects in Belgium, Denmark and Sweden, and without any practical effect (AFAIK) in the Netherlands, is wrong IMHO because it could be interpreted as an "ex post facto" law. That is somewhat controversial, however, as some experts claim that one's place in the line of succession is not an acquired right, but rather only an "expectation of right", which would become an acquired right only if and when that person were actually in a concrete position to ascend the throne. I leave that discussion to the legal experts though.

I didn't realize the rules were changed retroactively in the Netherlands. Most likely because there were no practical consequences. Can you explain?

In addition, it could be argued that the law in the UK was also retroactive as it only became law almost 3 1/2 years later.

Last edited:
For me Queen Margrethe II is the most interesting Royal. I have enormous respect for her and find her interests quite diverse. Her sister Princess Benedikte quietly goes about her Royal duties supporting The Queen and representing Denmark in a classically elegant way. This lovely Lady is a favourite of mine.

I have been very interested in how a normal young girl living in Sydney transforms into a Crown Princess. CP Mary of Denmark has done a wonderful job, learning a notoriously difficult language.
Giving up her Australian citizenship, changing her religious beliefs, learning a new culture and learning a new Royal way of life. And she has done so beautifully earning the respect of most Danes.
Having said that about Mary, so to has Grand Duchess Maria Therese of Luxembourg, done well adapting to the Royal way of life, so different from her Cuban up bringing.
And so to has Queen Maxima adapted to royal life from an Argentinian background.

Just goes to show how strong in character these ladies are willing to learn and all for the Love of a man.
So I look forward to seeing how Meghan adapts to royal life. So far she has done very well. And the main thing is that she makes Harry happy. And as we get to know her I am finding her a very interesting young woman.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this is well known.

I would just like to see her higher in the succession order than her two less qualified younger brothers but she seems less bothered about it than I am, which makes me like her even more. ?

What makes her brothers 'less qualified'?

They have served as Councillors-of-State (and Andrew has held that role since 1981 and will hold it for at least another 13 years - Anne held it from 1971 until 1984 so Andrew is more qualified than Anne in terms of actually having held a 'constitutional position' - which is really the only relevant qualification, besides being born, anyway. Edward held that position from 1985 until 2005 as well.)

If judged by the amount of engagements - fine but how hard is it to open a new building or visit a shop (and she does a lot of 'visits to shops' for Save the Children). Has she really started an organisation from scratch as Andrew has done with 'Pitch@Palace' or has she really taken on existing charities - as has Edward?

She was a world class athlete but surely that doesn't mean she is more qualified that someone who has a degree from Cambridge or flew helicopters in a war zone.

Basically there are no qualifications they need other than to be born to the right parents at the right time. She doesn't meet that qualification. Under the laws as they existed her brothers are more qualified for the simple reason they are boys. That has changed but not for her (and she was very vocal, in the early 1980s when it was discussed then that it was not to be backdated to cover her).

For me Queen Margrethe II is the most interesting Royal. I have enormous respect for her and find her interests quite diverse. Her sister Princess Benedikte quietly goes about her Royal duties supporting The Queen and representing Denmark in a classically elegant way. This lovely Lady is a favourite of mine.

I have been very interested in how a normal young girl living in Sydney transforms into a Crown Princess. CP Mary of Denmark has done a wonderful job, learning a notoriously difficult language.
Giving up her Australian citizenship, changing her religious beliefs, learning a new culture and learning a new Royal way of life. And she has done so beautifully earning the respect of most Danes.
Having said that about Mary, so to has Grand Duchess Maria Therese of Luxembourg, done well adapting to the Royal way of life, so different from her Cuban up bringing.
And so to has Queen Maxima adapted to royal life from an Argentinian background.

Just goes to show how strong in character these ladies are willing to learn and all for the Love of a man.
So I look forward to seeing how Meghan adapts to royal life. So far she has done very well. And the main thing is that she makes Harry happy. And as we get to know her I am finding her a very interesting young woman.

Foreign women leaving their countries to join some other country’s royal family and having to learn another language and/or change their religious denomination in the process is nothing new. In fact, that has been the norm in Europe for centuries.

The real novelty is that Máxima, Mary and others were not only non-Royal by birth, but also were actually middle-class women (although Máxima’s family in particular would probably be considered “ upper class” or “ patrician” in Argentina properly).

I'm currently finding CP Masako and CP Naruhito the most interesting. They are facing a huge but not unexpected change in their circumstances with the upcoming enthronement next year. Masako's struggles with her mental health and her very courageous efforts to pick up the threads of her life and her duties make those changes especially poignant, and I'm finding the whole situation fascinating. Add in the weird but intriguing family dynamics, and it's like an K-drama, except with real live people.

What makes her brothers 'less qualified'?
It's my opinion that she's more qualified by character & I base that on decades of observing their actions & listening to what they say. I could elaborate but I'd prefer to leave it there.

Right now, Crown Princess Masako is the most interesting to me. With the abdication of the Emperor looming (in April 2019) Masako will become Empress Consort. She is such a mystifying character, and it will be fascinating to see how she handles her new role. I'm sure she'll be perfect, but it will be interesting to watch.

[Editing to add: I don't know how I missed Ista's post above, but it looks like we're on the same wavelength!]

For now the most interesting is widely Meghan Markle Duchess of Sussex, after her her husband Harry and the Dukes of Cambridge.
For the future, I think Princesses of Belgium and Spain could be interesting royals.

I'm currently finding CP Masako and CP Naruhito the most interesting. They are facing a huge but not unexpected change in their circumstances with the upcoming enthronement next year. Masako's struggles with her mental health and her very courageous efforts to pick up the threads of her life and her duties make those changes especially poignant, and I'm finding the whole situation fascinating. Add in the weird but intriguing family dynamics, and it's like an K-drama, except with real live people.

Right now, Crown Princess Masako is the most interesting to me. With the abdication of the Emperor looming (in April 2019) Masako will become Empress Consort. She is such a mystifying character, and it will be fascinating to see how she handles her new role. I'm sure she'll be perfect, but it will be interesting to watch.

I have to agree, Masako is at a very interesting juncture. I hope she copes well with the pressures of becoming the Empress, and I wish her well.

I would have to agree. Seventeen year old Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium is quite lovely and we may see a lot more of fifteen year old princess Ingrid Alexandra as her mother CP Mette Marrit cuts back her workload due to ill health.

The Princess of Asturias, at thirteen is a very young thirteen so I think we will have to wait two or three years until she has established herself as she is a very lovely but very young thirteen.

Meghan is the most interesting to me as well. Her already established character in charitable causes, skills in public speaking, and personal beauty make her fascinating to me. And Harry, as he seems to have changed the most, and grown so much in the last 5 years, becoming a person and man I'm sure his mother Diana would have been so proud of.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is the most interesting to me. Her intelligence, charm, long established work ethic and charitable interests, obvious public speaking skills, personal graciousness, beauty, and style make her fascinating to me. Wish there were thousands more like her sprinkled all over the world. We can't have too many wonderful people in the world!

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau

Founder and CEO of Girls, Not brides
(fighting child marriages and enabling girls to fulfil their potential).

Co-founder and former member of the Board of War Child
(support and rehabilitate child victims of war).

Former CEO of The Elders
(Nobel Prize laureates and global leaders working together for peace, justice and human rights).

Former Director in Brussels and former International Advocacy Director in London of the Open Society Institute
(empowerment of vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens.)

Co-founder and former director of The European Action Council for Peace in the Balkans
(With Margaret Thatcher, Simon Wiesenthal and Valéry Giscard d'Estaing amongst the members of the board)

Ambassador for Aids Fonds Nederland
(For 20 years active in awareness and fighting of Aids and HIV)

Probably the richest self-made multi-millionaire in the royal family thanks to inventive investments of her late husband, Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands. Where other royals barely do more than showcasing new fashion, Princess Mabel stands with her heels in the mud.

Picture: HM Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau, Countess of Orange-Nassau

Last edited:
According to society bible Tatler, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have topped Tatler’s Social Power List, earning them the title of Britain's "most socially signifiant" people.

Coupled with all their humanitarian work and I think they make for quite the interesting couple

Last edited:
Meghan is the most interesting to me as well. Her already established character in charitable causes, skills in public speaking, and personal beauty make her fascinating to me. And Harry, as he seems to have changed the most, and grown so much in the last 5 years, becoming a person and man I'm sure his mother Diana would have been so proud of.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex is the most interesting to me. Her intelligence, charm, long established work ethic and charitable interests, obvious public speaking skills, personal graciousness, beauty, and style make her fascinating to me. Wish there were thousands more like her sprinkled all over the world. We can't have too many wonderful people in the world!

I agree!
Today she is the most interesting Royal woman.

I would have to agree. Seventeen year old Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium is quite lovely and we may see a lot more of fifteen year old princess Ingrid Alexandra as her mother CP Mette Marrit cuts back her workload due to ill health.

The Princess of Asturias, at thirteen is a very young thirteen so I think we will have to wait two or three years until she has established herself as she is a very lovely but very young thirteen.

Leonor, will appear in both 'Princess of Asturias and Princess of Girona Awards.' So exciting!

Back
Top Bottom