The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

Lady K,

Are you sure about the "Candle in the Wind" question? Because I have that single and it doesn't have the song titled "Goodbye England's Rose" it has it titled as "Candle in the Wind 1997" And I also just went to wikipedia.com and it shows the cover of the single just like I have and it also shows how it was titled on the Billboard Charts in the U.S. and in the U.K.

I know how annoying am I! I don't mean to be picky about this! I apologize for my perfectionistic nature! Please don't get mad!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Just being nitpicky...Bernie Taupin writes the lyrics to Elton's John's songs.

Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics to the original song in 1972 in homage to his favorite actress. Elton John wrote the music. After Diana died, Elton asked Bernie to come up with new lyrics for a tribute to Diana and he did.

Elton himself didn't re-write anything, the same melody was used as the original song, just the lyrics were changed by Bernie - you're talking to a real hardcore Elton John fan here. I bought the original album the song was on when it was released.

This particular song wasn't very famous at the time. The two most famous songs from the album were Bennie and the Jets and Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

It was a groundbreaking album and Elton's first really big commercially successful album.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Technically, according to the programs, it was called "Goodbye England's Rose", but was also released as "Candle in the Wind 1997". Why the two names, I don't know.
I didn't know about Elton's songwriter- I thought he rewrote those lyrics himself! Well, good job Bernie.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

I just found a place where it is titled like this "Candle in the Wind 1997(Goodbye England's Rose)" Now could they make it anymore confusing for our quiz? Anyways, it doens't matter it's a great song and a great tribute no matter what the original title. I can't be concerned about this when I have to start reading up on Belgium RF.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Im waiting for the Spanish Royal Family Quiz.. to play!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (whenher father died).At a treetop hotel, at the top of a hill, in Kenya
The then Duchess of Edinburgh wasn't at the Treetops Hotel but at Sagana Lodge (at the foothills of Mount Kenya which had been a wedding present to the Edinburghs) where she learnt the news of her fathers passing. Prince Phillip, upon being woken by a member of the royal entourage (he was resting) took Elizabeth out into the garden where he broke the devastating news to her.

Great thread, Lady K. Light and entertaining.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

We are both right. I didn't mean the Treetops Hotel, but the Sagana Lodge (which I couldn't remember the name of it). The lodge itself, or atleast the room, was in a treetop, according to Philip and Elizabeth. The saying is "She went up the hill a princess, and came down a queen."

Prince Philip was the one who actually had to tell the new queen, he was alerted by an aide, who thought it best that he tell her.

Belgium (well, mostly about King Albert II, Queen Paola, King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, and the Duke and Duchess of Brabant and family) will be posted tonight!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We are both right. I didn't mean the Treetops Hotel, but the Sagana Lodge (which I couldn't remember the name of it). The lodge itself, or atleast the room, was in a treetop, according to Philip and Elizabeth. The saying is "She went up the hill a princess, and came down a queen."
Sagana Lodge is not in a tree canopy so I'm not certain as to 'the' room being in a treeptop. I to have read Phillip and Elizabeth and can't recall sighting that part..I'll have another look though incase I have missed something which is of course possible in a mere moment of temporary distraction.

Quote:
Prince Philip was the one who actually had to tell the new queen, he was alerted by an aide, who thought it best that he tell her.
Yep, as I had mentioned.

Keep up the good work with any futre quizzes.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Apologies to Lady_K for hijacking the thread, but I would like to try another sort of quiz here, albeit an easy one. Simular quizzes have been posted at the Royal Quizzes MB.
-
Who are we? In this case it is a closed cirlcle, and only one of the people involved has deceased.All reigning European houses are represented in this quiz.

1) I am a King who just celebrated his birthday
2) I am his 1st cousin and am also on a throne
3) I am a brother-in-law of number 2
4) I am the daughter of number 3
5) I am the brother-in-law of number 4
6) I am the daughter-in-law of number 5
7) I am the sister of number 6
8) I am the mother-in-law of number 7
9) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 8
10) I am a cousin of number 9 and I can not stand him
11)* I was the uncle of 10
12) I am the goddaughter of number 11
13) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 12
14) I am a 1st cousin of number 13, I never reigned over the country that I became a Queen of.
15) I am the husband of number 14
16) I am a first cousin of the mother of number 15 and I am outranked by my wife
17) I am a first cousin of number 14 and a second cousin of number 16 and have 3 children
18) I am a first cousin of number 17
19) I am the wife of number 18, his second one
20) I am a 1st cousin of number 18 and a 1st cousin-in-law of number 20
21) I am the sister-in-law of number 20 and I am a reigning monarch
22) I am a 1st cousin of number 21 and a 2nd cousin of number 1

* = the deceased one

Who are we?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=Marengo]Apologies to Lady_K for hijacking the thread, but I would like to try another sort of quiz here, albeit an easy one. Simular quizzes have been posted at the Royal Quizzes MB.
-
Who are we? In this case it is a closed cirlcle, and only one of the people involved has deceased.All reigning European houses are represented in this quiz.

14) I am a 1st cousin of number 13, I never reigned over the country that I became a Queen of.
16) I am a first cousin of the mother of number 15 and I am outranked by my wife
17) I am a first cousin of number 14 and a second cousin of number 16 and have 3 children

* = the deceased one

Who are we?

1: King Harald V. of Norway
2: King Albert II, of the Belgians
3: Grand Duke Jean of Luxemburg
4: Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, née Princess of Luxemburg
5: Fürst Hans Adam II,. of Liechtenstein
6: Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein, née Duchess in Bavaria
7: Duchess Marie Caroline of Württemberg, née Duchess in Bavaria
8: Duchess Diane of Württemberg, née Princess of France
9: Duke Amedeo of Aosta
10: Duke Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy, Prince of Naples

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Numbers 1-10 are correct. Nice (and early) Easter presents for those who can complete the list.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Numbers 1-10 are correct. Nice (and early) Easter presents for those who can complete the list.
A few more
11: King Léopold III. of the Belgians
12: Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
13: Duke Carlos Hugo of Parma
14: Queen Anna of Roumania
15: King Michael I. of Roumania
16: Prince Philip of Great Britain, Duke of Edinburgh

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Apologies to Lady_K for hijacking the thread, but I would like to try another sort of quiz here, albeit an easy one. Simular quizzes have been posted at the Royal Quizzes MB.
-

* = the deceased one

Who are we?
Giving a shot at the last six.

17. Queen Sofia of Spain
18. Prince Ernest August of Hanover
19. Princess Caroline of Monaco/Hanover
20. ex-King Constantine II of Greece
21. Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
22. King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
Old 03-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Correct! You have to share this price together. I am afraid it is unreturnable so enjoy
Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Correct! You have to share this price together. I am afraid it is unreturnable so enjoy
But Queen Sofia is not a first cousin of Queen Anna, she is from her husband and the question was from Nr. 14.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Oops, I made a mistake! It should have been a first cousin of number 15 (King Mihai)! I got the numbers wrong, very sorry...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oops, I made a mistake! It should have been a first cousin of number 15 (King Mihai)! I got the numbers wrong, very sorry...
No problem. I had thought that already.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Marengo, I'm stealing it back!

I know I said I'd post this last night, but just as I was clicking post, we lost power! So I went to bed and decided to post it now.

Belgium

This quiz is about the King, Queens, the late King Baudouin, and the Dukes of Brabant. Other questions about other Belgian royals will follow (around the time the ones about the rest of the British royals do ) I numbered them, as Aurora requested, so hopefully that will be easier. There are some tricky ones here, especcially for those who aren't experts about the Belgian royal family. But others are easier, so don't be intimidated!! Please play- the more people who play, the more fun it is- at least for me! Just be sure to please post your answers in white so others can't see them unless they choose to. I'll post the answers tomarrow night! LadyK

1) What was King Albert II’s title at birth?

2) All the Belgian royal babies were christened, and thus had godmothers and godfathers. Albert’s godfather was a prince of Luxembourg. Can you name that prince? (hint- the name is used by one of the princes of Luxembourg. I’m not saying if it is a first name or a middle name!)

3) When was King Albert crowned?

4) What is King Albert’s title?

5) King Baudouin and King Albert II’s mother died when Albert was just year old. How did she die, and where was she when she died?

6) What was the birthname and title of their stepmother?

7) During WWII, and the Nazi invasion of Belgium, Albert and his family were deported, first to one place, then to another. Where were these places? (be specific)

8) When King Baudouin passed away in July of 1993, where was he?

9) What caused King Baudouin’s death? (medically)

10) At the time of King Baudouin died, who was his heir?

11) Both the Belgian Queens are foreigners. Where are Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola from?

12) What unique special privilege do the Belgian queens share with the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Queen of Spain, and a few others?

13) In April of 2002, Queen Paola was made Honorary President of Child Focus. What does this charitable organization do?

14) Queen Fabiola has her own charity foundation. It is called the Queen Fabiola Foundatoin National for _______ _____. What is it?

15) What is Queen Fabiola’s full birth name?

16) What color is the Belgian sash?

17) From what University did Philippe receive his Masters degree in Political Science in 1985?

18) In May of 2004, Prince Philippe earned a rather special license, one not so many commoners have. What does his license allow him to do?

19) What was Mathilde’s full maiden name (first, middles, last?

20) Mathilde’s father, Count Patrick d’Udekem d’Acoz, is a member of the Belgian nobility, and as such, Mathilde also bore a title prior to her marriage. What was her title?

21) What did Mathilde study in college?

22) Mathilde is very smart. When she graduated from college in 1994, she graduated with what honor? She obtained a degree ___________.

23) Mathilde plays what instrument?

24) What of Mathilde’s heritage will make her a first among Belgian Queen-Consorts? (it’s a little suprising)

25) What is the engagement ring Philippe game Mathilde composed of? (metal, and gemstone)

26) What royal historic significance did the date of Mathilde and Philippe’s wedding have?

27) How much older is Crown Prince Philippe than Crown Princess Mathilde?

28) What is the name of Philippe and Mathilde’s dog?

29) Where do Philippe, Mathilde, and their children reside? (palace, or city, they’re the same)

30) In the chapel of which castle where Philippe and Mathilde’s children baptized?

31) Philippe and Mathilde held Princess Elisabeth’s 1st birthday party in a special house, near their palace, Castle Laeken. No royals reside there, but Princes and Princesses often like to visit. What house am I talking about, and why is it unique?

32) Where do Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriel go to school?

33) What historical importance will occur upon Princess Elisabeth’s becoming queen? She will be the ______.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, some thing great for me to work on. I've been studying up on Belgians and I even thought of a good question myself but it's kind of easy so we'll see if you included something similar. Glad I have this now because it's been a few rough minutes for me so far at the forums. Now I'm smiling!!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

Red face Here are my answers

The Belgium Royal Family Part

1) His Royal Highness the Prince of Liege

2) Prince Felix of Luxembourg

3) August 9, 1993

4) His Majesty King of the Belgians (p.s. great question b/c its styled different than most)

5) Leopold III and Astrid were driving near the shores of Lake Lucerne in Switzerland when he lost control of the car and crashed. The crash occured Aug. 29, 1935.

6) Mary Lilian Baels known as Princess de Rethy

7) deported to Hirschstein, Germany and then to Strobl, Austria

8) Villa Astrida in Motril, the south of Spain

9) not sure exactly what you are looking for, but he died of heart failure

10) Prince Philippe was his heir but at the time it was thought that he wasn't ready so Albert was the next choice.

11) Spain (Fabiola) and Italy (Paola)

12) not sure but I'm thinking this could have something to do with the catholic religion that is the general connection I see between those listed.

13) The foundation searches for children that are missing and it works with parents and helps prevent sexual abuse.

14) Queen Fabiola Foundation National for Mental Health, it helps support people with mental disabilities.

15) Fabiola Fernanda Maria de las Victorias Antonia Adelaida

16) purple

17) Stanford

18) helicopter pilot

19) Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine d'Udekem d'Acoz

20) Jonkvrouw Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz

21) speech therapy and psychology

22) "grande distinction" (magna cum laude), speech therapy

23) piano

24) Belgian born

25) ruby and gold maybe?

26) not sure