The United States and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if Scotland became independent, it would either become a Republic or keep the Queen but as Queen of Scots. (Though I doubt they'd get to strip her of her numeral, assuming she would still be the monarch at the time.)

I think Ireland will be a republic for the foreseeable future.

Well the Stuart pretenders would certainly be extremely happy if that happened.

Would they? I don't think the legitimate Jacobite heir even claims the throne. It's Franz Herzog in Bayern (Duke Franz of Bavaria). It would be funny if they did, and even funnier if both monarchies were restored (Scotland and Bavaria would have the same king)...

I digress...

What about Canada? I always thought that either Canada and Australia will one day fully abolish the monarchy, or else the UK will first and the Windsors will reign from Ottowa (LOL).

I certainly would like to see the Shah's son (Iran) back in power, he and his family want to go back.

I'd rather see the Qajar heirs back on the throne that the Pahlavis usurped. Even though Empress Farah is FABULOUS... ;-)

I'd most like to see the following countries/places restore monarchy:

1) Brazil
2) Hawai'i
3) Ryukyu Kingdom
4) Sarawak
5) **Mexico** (I'm on the fence, but the idea is enticing...esp the Aztec royals)
6) Peru (Sapa Inca)
7) Russia (don't ask me which pretender, though...)
8) Portugal
9) Georgia
10) Ethiopia (has previously considered it)

None of these are really "new" royal families, though... the exception being that the House of Kawananakoa has never actually reigned in Hawai'i. They were the designated legal heirs to Queen Lydia Liliuokalani, and are thus called the "House of Kawananakoa-in-waiting".

I forgot Albania and Montenegro. Them, too.

Monarchy in the United States would never work. But regional ones might. Hawai'i is the only place where one already exists, per se, although many places and native groups have traditional hereditary nobilities sometimes bordering on monarchy. If the King of Hawai'i, say, had no political power...maybe like the Japanese Emperor, he could be a symbol of state unity and history. (Prince Quentin would be an awesome king, btw)...

Would they? I don't think the legitimate Jacobite heir even claims the throne. It's Franz Herzog in Bayern (Duke Franz of Bavaria). It would be funny if they did, and even funnier if both monarchies were restored (Scotland and Bavaria would have the same king)...

Hah, true.. he seems to have quite the sense of humour about the whole thing.

What about Canada? I always thought that either Canada and Australia will one day fully abolish the monarchy, or else the UK will first and the Windsors will reign from Ottowa (LOL).

Abolishing the monarchy in Canada would be a task of truly epic proportions, due to how difficult it is to amend our Constitution. Quite literally everyone in our provincial, territorial, and federal governments has to agree. Okay, not literally, but near enough as makes no odds. Her Madge--and His, eventually, though may that day be long in coming--is here to stay, and glad I am of it!

PS: Ottawa :)

Quite literally everyone in our provincial, territorial, and federal governments has to agree. Okay, not literally, but near enough as makes no odds.

Indeed. Getting a pro-republic government in all 10 provinces (the territories don't matter) and the federal government won't ever happen, at least not in the current political climate. Even then, I could see a province or two simply refusing just to spite the federal government of the day.

That would not be a problem, apart from the fact that I don't see The Duke of Bavaria move to Scotland. He's an old gentleman living in Nymphenburg Palace in Munich which must be one of the most beautiful palaces in Europe, surrounded by a large park but within the city boundaries. Why should he walk away from his place of home? Bavarians don't tend to do that.

But - Franz is unmarried. His brother Max is his heir. Max only has 4 daughters. So the next heiress would be princess Sophie of Bavaria. But she, alas, is married to the herediary prince of Liechtenstein and her son is the next in line to become reigning prince of Liechtenstein after his grandfather and father. I doubt the Scots want the future reigning prince of Liechtenstein as their future king.

And it is still not clear if Henriette Anne Stuart, ancestor of The Duke of Bavaria did not rightfully renounce her inheritance rights on marrying the brother of the French king Louis XIV.AFAIK she did as this was the custom of the day on dealing with France because noone wanted a French prince on the throne of England and Scotland back then. So even if the Act of Settlement would be declared void, in all probability the descendants of Henriette Anne Stuart, duchess of Orleans had never had a right to the British throne. Including the Duke of Bavaria.

But if Henriette Anne's descendants have no such right, then we end up with her aunt Elizabeth Stuarts, her cousin electress Sophia and Sophia's descendants - ergo HM Elizabeth II and her heir, Charles.

How would we go about finding a monarch since the US has never had a royal house? Would we simply steal some of the British royal family? Elect a monarch and then make it hereditary from there on? Or simply offer a non-reigning royal house in Europe the opportunity to reign again?

Just to be clear I ask this for purely theoretical reasons. I'm about as dyed in the wool republican as you can get. Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine the US ever becoming a monarchy. But if that were to come to pass... I'd say that we steal someone from the British Royal Family, simply because they are the most well-known Royal Family in the world and, once upon a time, before the Revolutionary War, the original 13 colonies were British. But, it couldn't be just any random, lesser member of the BRF, like the Queen's cousins. Maybe Edward or possibly Anne. Probably not Andrew (too many scandals and Fergie) and I can't imagine Harry would accept the job.

If not the BRF then the next option would probably be the Grimaldis of Monaco. The theory, I'm guessing, would be that they at least have some American blood in their veins thanks to Princess Grace.

And then, I suppose a third argument would be someone from the Hawaiian Royal Family, if anyone is still alive.

It's an interesting question, though entirely, completely hypothetical.

Never going to happen, the issue was resolved 235.

What do you mean by 235?

Funny idea.

Say USA became an empire, with the emperor in the White House, with some states ruled by a governor general and others by their own princely houses.
Who among present day society and political elite would be the first you would point to? Who would be obvious and who would you like to see?
I realise of course that some may be fairly unknown outside USA.

First of all, I think she meant 235 years ago we solved that problem. In answer to your second part, this would never happen. We like the system we have, thank you- if we don't like what they are doing, we vote em out in four years. You can't do that with a king or emperor. I know that it is fun to read about the royal families and what they are doing and all that, but we really don't want to go back to being an adjunct of a monarchy or having one=been there, done that. not doing it again

Well.. saying that the long shot pays off and the US does become a monarchy...

I would think that they'd go for royalty close to home. One probability would be descendants of Lisa Maria as we all know her father Elvis was King and for a while there she was married to the King of Pop. Come to think of it, one of Jackson's son's name is Prince.

On the other hand, we also do have a Queen Latifah. :D

i don't believe that would happen
and i only like old royal families the others are just wannabes
i like UAE leading family but i don't see them as royals

Last edited:
You can't do that with a king or emperor.

You can, if you have King's or Queen's that switch every 4 years. Malaysia elects a ruler every 5 years.

It's interesting how the first theory is to "steal someone from the British Royal Family", I don't see how they have any greater experience to rule the USA than any other royal family.

Well, what kind of monarcy are you looking at? If you are looking at the British Monarchy and several of the others, they don't rule, they reign. So if we were going for that kind, we would still need a prime minister or premier to do the actual governing along with a parliament or congress, so what exactly would be the point of having a monarch? If it is only to go around opening hospitals etc., quite frankly that would be a waste of our money and enough of it is being wasted already.:)

You can, if you have King's or Queen's that switch every 4 years. Malaysia elects a ruler every 5 years.

It's interesting how the first theory is to "steal someone from the British Royal Family", I don't see how they have any greater experience to rule the USA than any other royal family.

When there were only 13 colonies George III was their King and the present BRF are his senior line descendents - so they are the logical choice.

They could do what Canada, Australia and other countries do - share the British monarch with Britain.

When there were only 13 colonies George III was their King and the present BRF are his senior line descendents - so they are the logical choice.

They could do what Canada, Australia and other countries do - share the British monarch with Britain.

Yeah when the USA was 13 colonies and not one of the biggest and most powerful countries in the world. Sharing the monarchy like in Australia isn't working out too well at the moment.
Just because they are 'well known' and just because 192 years ago George III ruled the USA or it's 13 colonies, doesn't make the BRF a logical choice in my opinion, as nowadays they know nothing of the country itself.

Well, this is a moot subject, cause it ain't gonna happen folks

Yeah when the USA was 13 colonies and not one of the biggest and most powerful countries in the world.
What is your point?

Sharing the monarchy like in Australia isn't working out too well at the moment.

Please explain this comment. I live in Australia and haven't heard that things are going badly here because we share a monarch with the UK. Could you please explain how sharing the monarch is affecting us.

Just because they are 'well known' and just because 192 years ago George III ruled the USA or it's 13 colonies, doesn't make the BRF a logical choice in my opinion, as nowadays they know nothing of the country itself.

It was 235 years ago, not 192.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, just as I am entitled to mine.

George III was the last King of the original states - which is why his descendents would be the logical choice to me. The BRF know a great deal more about the country, and other countries around the world than probably any family on earth - simply because most of them have visited it both on holidays and officially and have been visited by numerous leading people from the US.

If they were to re-establish the monarchy in Russia who would be the logical family to be put into that position - the Romanovs - why - because they had held the position before.

Don't know how Australia got into this thread but anyway we are going very well with our Queen of Australia thank you very much

The US would never have a monarchy, our country was founded as a revolution against a monarch!

Agreed. I wouldn't mind that. The British Royal Family was our royal family, although how connected were they to the US- did they even visit or have an official residence?

I cannot think of any "distinguished" citizens in the US who I'd want as a King or Queen. It's so difficult to find someone who is completely nonpartisan, and having a partisan political person appointed to a hereditary position as head of state would just not work.

At one time, there were rumors that the sovereignty of the USA would be offered to Charles Stuart "Bonnie Prince Charlie." Of course, there was also talk of making George Washington the king. Fortunately, nothing came of it.

I'm a monarchist and a royalist, and I will say, that I don't see any sort of monarchy working for the United States. People are too republican and are proud of the fact that they kicked out the British all those years ago (I personally feel that it was a mistake, because if we were still a British colony, we would have some culture and sophistication, which US in general lacks).

The land on which today U.S.A. sits has a very long history and did not start with the kicking out of the Brittish. A reading of the history of Luisiana will find both French and Spanish royalties. Hawaii had a monarchy. Our native american tribes had chiefs.

Although establishing a monarchy today is not likely the forefathers to our current citizens had a much more interesting and coloful past than most people have discovered.

I'm a monarchist and a royalist, and I will say, that I don't see any sort of monarchy working for the United States. People are too republican and are proud of the fact that they kicked out the British all those years ago (I personally feel that it was a mistake, because if we were still a British colony, we would have some culture and sophistication, which US in general lacks).

You live in NYC, one of the global capitals of culture and high-end restaurants, shopping, etc., and think that the US lacks culture/sophistication? Maybe if we had a stronger connection with the UK, we'd have as much culture as, say, Bermuda or the Falkland Islands?

I can see saying that having a royal family would add some glamor to government- we sure don't have that.

The thought has crossed my mind, but I think it's very unlikely to happen. Although Americans seem to find royalty exciting.

Back
Top Bottom