The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I would say Queen Victoria, Queen Beatrix, and Prince Rainier who lost their spouses early. As well, Princess Diana who died tragically at an early age.
I would agree. Also Princes William and Harry, who lost their mother.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

1. Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, Alexandra Fyodorovna and their children; Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei, because of the way that they were treated
2. The Princess of Wales, because she didn't deserved that faith
3. King Frederick VIII of Denmark, because he waited so long to become a king, and when he then became a king, he died very early
4. King Ludwig XVI, Queen Marie-Antoinette and their children, I just think in general their life was a hell

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 AM

She didnt stay a Princess very long but i have to mention Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury

Her brother is beheaded and then when Henry VIII had a beef with her son and couldnt arrest him because he wouldnt come back to England her entire family was arrested and then at the age of 70 she herself was arrested. She was treated terribly and then the worst part was when she was beheaded, because she knew she didnt do anything wrong she struggled and the first stroke of the ax missed her neck and got her in the back, it took another 10 blows to kill her
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

I consider the lives of Alexandra,the last Tsarina,and Empress Soraya among the saddest I have known.JMO
Old 10-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Majesty

To me Charles was one of the saddest royals being forced to marry a woman who couldn't make him happy and whom he was pressured into marriage before he was really aware of her shortcomings as a royal bride. This all came about because he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he truly loved. Now he is so much happier because he has married her.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
To me Charles was one of the saddest royals being forced to marry a woman who couldn't make him happy and whom he was pressured into marriage before he was really aware of her shortcomings as a royal bride. This all came about because he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he truly loved. Now he is so much happier because he has married her.
I agree with you.
I realise life would be very very different without William and Harry but i still wish Charles hadn't married Diana and had the courage to ask Camilla before she was married herself.

Caroline, Grace and Masako are three other royals with incredible sad lives.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_93 View Post
I can't understand why he prefer Camilla? I'm sure that Diana loved him and Charles isn't happy of your blame,not her!He does the choice to marry Diana,if he doesn't want it why he destroyed her life-of course, he doesn't want it!He marry with her of duty and what....now she is death! Oh,everything could be different...

He preferred Camilla because he loves her and always has - she is his soul-mate and has an inner beauty that fits his life.

He married Diana after only about 13 dates because his father said basically 'propose or call it off' so Charles proposed in case he could come to love her and make it word when another year of so of dating would have made it clear to him, and probably her, that they weren't suited. She would have the stigma of having been dumped by Charles but so what - she might have married and had kids and been alive and we would know nothing about her and Charles could have had a happy life, even if a single one with Camilla there as well.

I don't think, at 19, Diana knew what love was at all. She had been raised on the romance stories of her step-grandmother where after the wedding everything ends 'happily ever after'. She was badly advised by her father who simply wanted one of his daughters to marry Charles to raise the Spencer family above the rest of the peerage.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He preferred Camilla because he loves her and always has - she is his soul-mate and has an inner beauty that fits his life.

I don't think, at 19, Diana knew what love was at all. She had been raised on the romance stories of her step-grandmother where after the wedding everything ends 'happily ever after'. She was badly advised by her father who simply wanted one of his daughters to marry Charles to raise the Spencer family above the rest of the peerage.
And how do you know this?

Did the Earl state this in any letters that have been made public? An autobiography?

From what I read, Diana married Charles simply because she was in love with him (although one can argue that it wasn't a mature love) and if anyone pushed her into it, it was Lady Fermoy.

And I think I am going to retract my Diana comment, as saddest royal. While I certainly think it was tragic that she died so young. I think Diana at the end was at peace with herself. After a series of mishaps (with the press, the love affairs) she was in a good place...she found comfort in her work, was a good place in her relationship with Charles (they were becoming friendly) and was looking for love. Of course, this is another subject for another thread.

I do stand by those royals who lost their spouses. I would also like to add Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Caroline: a failed first marrige, the brutal losses of her mother and her second husband, the death of her father and the simultaneous ilness of her third husband... not to mention this ( apparently difficult ) past summer, so lonely.
And she was able to live through this all with such dignity... amazing!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:22 PM

I agree with Zonk about Princess Diana finding peace in her life by the time she died.

As for sad royals, Prince Charles because he never looks happy, CP Masako, Tsarina Alexandra, and the Princesses of Monaco - Grace, Caroline & Stephanie.

I would say William & Harry because of their sad childhood, but maybe they will find happiness later in life - so that remains to be seen.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
As for sad royals, Prince Charles because he never looks happy, CP Masako, Tsarina Alexandra, and the Princesses of Monaco - Grace, Caroline & Stephanie.
I think Charles looks much happier since he married Camilla, actually. I wouldn't count him as a sad royal at all.

I think one of the saddest royals was Queen Victoria, in the latter part of her life. She really adored Albert and had to spend nearly 40 years of her life without him. She also lost three children before her own death.

Princess Margaret strikes me as having had a pretty unhappy ending to her life--she couldn't marry her first love, her marriage ended in divorce and she suffered with ill health for years before she died.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Beatrix's speech after the A. Attacks this spring just about broke my heart- she was so sad & humble.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

I would never consider Princess Diana or Charles as sad,they both got what they wanted in the end.I would add Princess Caroline of Monaco to my list,because of the losses of her beloved mother and husband.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

If the allegation of Anna anderson to be grand duchess Anastazia proved,once,to be true,nobody would have argued that she will be the saddest royal.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 AM
Nobility

Queen Victoria never came out of mourning when her beloved Bertie died.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

and always tried to keep in mourning her whole family...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 AM
Courtier

Queen Catherine of Aragon....
Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Queen Victoria never came out of mourning when her beloved Bertie died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post

and always tried to keep in mourning her whole family...
I think that showed you how much she loved him and was attached to him.

A few years into the marriage, Diana was quite a sad person, showed in pictures alot. I would say she was one of the saddest royals.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes, Dazzling, it's true that she loved him very very much, but after his death she became a little too much oppressive toward her family...
Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Nobility

well the one which comes to my mind is princess sophia dorothea of celle;
she was divorced by her husband prince george louis of hanover (the future king george I of great britain) in 1794. she was then confined to the castle of ahlden for the rest of her life and her children was not permitted to visit her. she died in 1726 !!

btw this reminds me of a similar story, that of the mother of prince albert, the prince consort: princess louise of gotha.
she too was divorced by her husband (duke ernst I of coburg) and not permitted to visit her children.
nothing can be worst for a mother dont you think !! how