The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Countess of Wessex lose her mother Mary Rhys-Jones but she still mourning but she still saddest

Old 09-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Such fascinating info, thank you all, it's been truly enlightening!! :)

Quick question though:

tiaraprin wrote: " Her sister Elisabeth had a strange epiphany of her own and became a nun. Now that was unusual--to give up all that material comfort to be a nun?"

Is this Elizabeth by any chance the mother of the current Duke of Edinburgh, prince Phillip? I know his mother became a nun at some point, <and> he is somehow closely related to the last Russian tzar as he, Phillip, was asked to donate some DNA I believe a few years back when they found some remains of the Russian RF..

Can someone tell me if I'm correct? THanks!

I believe she's P. Philip's aunt- P. Alice, daughter of QV, had Ella, Alicky, Victoria, who is P. Philip's grandmum, mother od P. Victoria of Battenberg, who had as issue P. Alice of Battenberg, mum of P. Philip's mother, Alice.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Gentry

I would say the saddest are all the royals that have died young without living their lives out to the fullest. Particularly the last Grand Duchesses of Russia and their brother Alexei since they were murdered in such a gruesome way!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tsar Nicholas II His wife and children
Prince John
Albert Victor Duke of Clarence
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Courtier

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands suffered from severe depression throughout his adult life. Luckily, he had a wife and sons who adored him and they were able to face his illness together.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Royal Highness

That must be really sad for his wife and children, I wonder how it effected his daily life and his marriage?! Is that why Beatrix didn't look so devastated at his funeral like at her parent's funeral, Ah it's such a shame, Claus and Beatrix looked so in love at the time of their wedding!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Maybe you judged it from pictures but on television I could notice that the queen was upset at all three funerals, but during the funeral of her husband the queen was shaking and almost collapsed. This happened when the coffin of Prince Claus was brought into the cellar and the queen, supported by Johan-Friso had to wait for almost 10 minutes in the middle of the church, listening to Mozarts requim.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Yeah, I saw Prince Claus's funeral and I've never seen someone so devestated. She was totally out of it for that funeral - like she couldn't even bear to deal with it. I'm SURE that they were very much in love, even through all the rough times. I find video after video where Claus and Beatrix show great love and affection for each other, even way into their later years.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
Yeah, I saw Prince Claus's funeral and I've never seen someone so devestated. She was totally out of it for that funeral - like she couldn't even bear to deal with it. I'm SURE that they were very much in love, even through all the rough times. I find video after video where Claus and Beatrix show great love and affection for each other, even way into their later years.
I dont know a lot about Beatrix , so what kind of Rough times?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Courtier

The rough times started with the engagement. There was talk of forcing Beatrix to choose between the man she loved and her future position because Claus was a member of Hitler's army and The Netherlands was devestated by the war. I read that her friends said Beatrix would never leave her duty as future queen, but if she didn't marry Claus then she wouldn't marry at all. Their wedding and related events had smoke bombs and protestors. Beatrix said that they had faith in themselves and in their love and that they believed they could overcome quite a lot of hardships together. They made it through all this very well and Claus became one of the most beloved royals in the country.

After 1980, when Beatrix became queen, Claus suffered from depression. His wife was always busy with official business and it is reported that he felt useless (I would too!). Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus were very open about his illness and they worked through it together. Claus said it was a very awful disease but he thanked his wife and family for their support.

Towards the end of Prince Claus's life, he was very weak. He had Parkinson's Disease and he appeared very frail during the last years of his life. Beatrix was by his side throughout this and she was with him when he finally died in 2002.

So all in all, I think these two people were very much in love and they had to go through a lot more than most people. Again, I've seen and read things throughout their marriage in which it is SO obvious of their love. In his later years, Claus made some remarks thanking his wife for everything and she started giggling and blushing like she was a young girl. I really love this couple because their love was so genuine.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM

Re:

I'd have to say Marie Feodorovna - she had a horrid time losing her husband, her family, her position and her country.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Courtier

I agree, Queen Beatrix during the Funeral of Prince Claus, first, then her parents. But especially Prince Claus. I didn't think that she would make it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Beatrix is a very strong woman, but the funeral of Claus seemed just to be too much for her. All time I was wondering: why am I watching this? I really would have given our Queen some privacy to grieve. But I couldn't stop watching it. It sure was sad, with the Requiem of Mozart and all. And so soon after that both her parents. That were just too many sad occassions in a short time, indeed.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Courtier

Thank you "Spiffyballerina" for that , It was really intresting .
they did have a sad love story , but they had such a strong love !
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Gentry

Queen Victoria Eugenia (Called "Ena") of Spain (1887-1969) led a sad life. She married King Alfonso XIII of Spain on May 31, 1906 in Madrid, Spain. On her wedding day, someone threw a bomb at her carriage. She missed being hit by the bomb because she turned her head to look at St. Mary's Church. The bomb did hit the guard next to the carriage. His blood hit her wedding dress and spotted it! She rode through the streets of Madrid with blood on her dress! Ena's first child, Prince Alfonso was a haemophiliac. He later was killed in a car crash in 1938. Ena's second child, Prince Don Jamie suffered from double mastoiditis when he was four years old. He had an operation which left him deaf. Prince Don Jamie's speech never fully developed. Ena's fourth child was stillborn. Her last child, Prince Don Gonzalo was also a haemophiliac. He died in a car accident in Austria in 1934. King Alfonso blamed his wife for his childrens' haemophilia, because it ran in her family. This caused them to have an unhappy marriage. King Alfonso later fell in love with an actress named, Carmen Ruiz Moragas. She had the king's two illegitimate children. The King and Queen went into exile in 1931. They separated. Ena went to live in Britain until 1939. She was asked to leave England because she was no longer considered to be part of the British Royal Family. She went to live in Switzerland.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

I don´t agree with the ones who say Caroline and Stephanie had sad lives, everyone lost their parents, it happens to everyone, they had wonderful lives for me. A sad story is Soraya´s, just for not having a child.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Ena
The last Romanov children
Soraya
Prince John
Infante Alfonso (younger brother of King Juan Carlos of Spain)
Joan the Mad
Charles II of Spain
Old 10-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Aristocracy

For me it has to be Maximilian of Austria and his wife Empress Charlotte of Mexico, a very sadd story. here you can see images of El Castillo de Chapultepec (Chapultepec Castle) were they lived in Mexico
http://images.google.com.mx/images?q...&start=40&sa=N
Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Soraya, Queen of Persia or Iran, was known as the Princess with sad eyes.
Princess Caroline for a time was too a sad person. But I believe if Queen Victoria had lived for more 20 years she woul be too a really sad person in sipte of everything that happend with her children, grandchlidren and great-grandchildren.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jil
Ena went to live in Britain until 1939. She was asked to leave England because she was no longer considered to be part of the British Royal Family. She went to live in Switzerland.
What a cruel family...