Saddest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marengo said:
Maybe you judged it from pictures but on television I could notice that the queen was upset at all three funerals, but during the funeral of her husband the queen was shaking and almost collapsed. This happened when the coffin of Prince Claus was brought into the cellar and the queen, supported by Johan-Friso had to wait for almost 10 minutes in the middle of the church, listening to Mozarts requim.

Oh my god, I did'nt know this.. :ohmy: :ohmy: (At that time, I was't a royalfan yet.)
That sounds terrible, really terrible. He died so young in my opinion, because Beatrix was'nt so old at that time, most of his grandchildren weren't born at that time, he missed so much, and it must be so hard for our queen, I feel so sorry for her, all the palaces, and she is so by herself, so without him, brrr.. :sad: she IS a strong woman.:rolleyes:

I would say the late Prince RainierIII Of Monaco his beloved wife Princess Grace was tragdically killed in a car accidient and he never seem to recover from her death. Their three children as a well Princess Caroline, Prince Albert, And Princess Stephanie. Another sad story is that of Diana, Princess Of Wales who has hound by the press and media she died so young and her two sons Prince William and Prince Harry had to live through the pain of losing their mother so young. Marie-Antionette who was The Queen Of France beheaded by her own husband death.

Marie Antoinette...was not beheaded by her husband. He was also executed as a result of the Revolution.

I would say Queen Victoria, Queen Beatrix, and Prince Rainier who lost their spouses early. As well, Princess Diana who died tragically at an early age.

Okay she was not killed by her husband but she was tragically killed being beheaded is one of the most terrible ways to die.

mirrjam said:
Oh my god, I did'nt know this.. :ohmy: :ohmy: (At that time, I was't a royalfan yet.)
That sounds terrible, really terrible. He died so young in my opinion, because Beatrix was'nt so old at that time, most of his grandchildren weren't born at that time, he missed so much, and it must be so hard for our queen, I feel so sorry for her, all the palaces, and she is so by herself, so without him, brrr.. :sad: she IS a strong woman.:rolleyes:

According to a friend (Avi Primer) she cried non-stop for a week after the Prince died. He said so in a ZDF documentairy on HM.

But she is strong and seems to be enjoying life again now, though she must have her difficult moment.

He also said she still does when they talk about Claus:cry:

According to a friend (Avi Primer) she cried non-stop for a week after the Prince died. He said so in a ZDF documentairy on HM.

But she is strong and seems to be enjoying life again now, though she must have her difficult moment.

yes, she starts to get slowly over that tragic accident. but she is a very strong woman and will make it! we all love her!:wub:

I would say Charles II of Spain; he was the product of inbreeding (his mother was married to her Uncle--so his father was also his great-uncle) and he was mentally retarded, had a large tongue--etc....lots of deformities. However, he did find love with his first wife, who died. It's such a sad story--apparently when his advisors were trying to find a second wife for him, he looked at two pictures and said the women were pretty or something and then he turned to a portrait of his deceased wife and said "But she was beautiful". When you are disabled and handicapped, it is hard to find someone to love and who loves you. I think his whole life was tragic.

As for the Princesses of Monaco--everyone loses their parents. The only read tragedy about Stephanie is that she made so many horrible decisions years ago. She seems to be growing out of all that. But, I do feel badly for Caroline, losing her second husband so tragically. But, she is happy now.

Queen Zain of jordan ... she lost her son prince Muhsin and her daughter princess Asma ... also queen Dina of jordan and her daughter Alia

My choice would be Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first unfortunate Queen. Most of her life was unhappy, with only a very brief period of joy early in her marriage to the King.

Then there is the Czarina Alexandra, spouse of Nicholas II of Russia. Everyone knows her tragic story.

Also Princess Margaret, sister of Elizabeth II. She was cruelly denied a chance to be happy with the man she truly loved and in my opinion was never truly happy for the rest of her life.

Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix), last Tsarina of Russia, would be my first choice.

Then I would choose Soraya and Princess Margaret - I think both woman had their happy times but something not fullfilled around them because they couldn't stay with the man they
obviously loved the most.

Confining myself to those with us today I would have to mention Princess Stephanie. I simply cannot image the heartache she has had to endure, nor do I think anyone else can. Everyone does lose parents but not at such an early age. In addition they had been arguing just before -can you imagine having a fight with your parent and then knowing that possibly the last words spoken to them were in anger? Then to really make things worse alot of people subtly or openly accused her of basically being responsible for her own mother's death. She could not even attend the funeral. I also feel sorry for her for the way her first marriage ended but everything revolving around the loss of Princess Grace trumps all. That is one reason why I've never been able to judge her. After everything she has had to endure I'm amazed she can even function.
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Last edited:
I do not understand why some find Alexandra of Russia tragic and not her husband and their children........

Margaret was not tragic, she lost her love because she chose to remain a royal and did not want to lose the lifestyle that went with it (if that is the reason why some members find her tragic). I did find her tragic when she was burned by hot water in her bath towards the end of her life. Very lonely not to have anyone look after you in a palace.

As my interest lies in Russian history, I have to say:

1. Alexei Nikolaevich and his sisters - the most innocent victims of the revolution, plus in Alexei´s case the great suffering from his attacks of hemophilia.

2. empress Marie Fyodorovna - first died her beloved fiancée. Next died her baby son Alexander. Next died her husband. Next died her second son. then parents. then her brother was assasinated. then in1918 her last two sons were murdered, her daughter in law and five grandchildren, and many other relatives. from the shiny court she was exiled to live humbly in Denmark. After death of her sister Alexandra she no longer has the strengh to go on....

3. Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fyodorovna - not exactly a happy marriage to Grand Duke Sergei. Then his terrible death. And her own death of course....

4. Nicholas and Alexandra - both too sensitive and naive to rule the Empire, tormented by their son´s illness. Their death however was sudden. they were to die first of all on 17th July 1918 and did not hear their daughters´ screams as the executioners stabbed them to death with bayonets.

5. Grand Duke Mikhail Alexadrovich - he never did anthing to anybody and renounced the thore. For all this he was shot and his body never found to be given a proper burrial.

I do not understand why some find Alexandra of Russia tragic and not her husband and their children........

Margaret was not tragic, she lost her love because she chose to remain a royal and did not want to lose the lifestyle that went with it (if that is the reason why some members find her tragic). I did find her tragic when she was burned by hot water in her bath towards the end of her life. Very lonely not to have anyone look after you in a palace.

You're right with the Romanovs. But when it came to the question "saddest Royal" Alexandra's picture came first to my mind. All the fears she had because of the illness of her son, the heartattacks she suffered plus she looked pretty unhappy in most of her late portraits...

Yes, and Margarets last years were as well a reason for me to choose her for one of the saddest Royals. But thats all very subjective, in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? If we take a look at the previous message and read about Marie Feodorovna's life Margarets life seems pretty normal.

Maybe Tsarevitch Alexei had one of the most saddest lives in Royal History - he suffered all his lifetime from Haemophilia which also handicaped him to lead a normal life and was shot two weeks shy of his fourteenth birthday. But I don't know if he himself has been a sad nature, Alix I suppose was sad and thats on what I focussed here with my reply...

Confining myself to those with us today I would have to mention Princess Stephanie. I simply cannot image the heartache she has had to endure, nor do I think anyone else can. Everyone does lose parents but not at such an early age. In addition they had been arguing just before -can you imagine having a fight with your parent and then knowing that possibly the last words spoken to them were in anger? Then to really make things worse alot of people subtly or openly accused her of basically being responsible for her own mother's death. She could not even attend the funeral. I also feel sorry for her for the way her first marriage ended but everything revolving around the loss of Princess Grace trumps all. That is one reason why I've never been able to judge her. After everything she has had to endure I'm amazed she can even function.
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

I agree with you. That must be so hard for her. Some people still assuse her about this tragedy. And don't seem very happy for me now. Her siblings have rather lucky in private life, Stephanie don't. That's unfair. No matter how character she has and what she did. That's really sad.

but she did have a happy marriage...

You're right with the Romanovs. But when it came to the question "saddest Royal" Alexandra's picture came first to my mind.
All the fears she had because of the illness of her son, the heartattacks she suffered plus she looked pretty unhappy in most of her late portraits...
Yes, and Margarets last years were as well a reason for me to choose her for one of the saddest Royals. But thats all very subjective, in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? If we take a look at the previous message and read about Marie Feodorovna's life Margarets life seems pretty normal.

Maybe Tsarevitch Alexei had one of the most saddest lives in Royal History - he suffered all his lifetime from Haemophilia which also handicaped him to lead a normal life and was shot two weeks shy of his fourteenth birthday. But I don't know if he himself has been a sad nature, Alix I suppose was sad and thats on what I focussed here with my reply...

I am thinking of Victoria of Hesse. Granddaughter of Queen Victoria. She was orphaned at a very young age. She lived to learn her two sisters, Ella and Alix were assasinated, her daughter Alice go through upheavals and mental instability and numerous family members lose their fortunes and lives.

:previous:

And her son George died aged 45 of cancer of the bone, just one year after her pregnant granddaughter Cecilie died with her husband and two of her three children by an plane crash. Victoria must have been a strong woman... I've read her family had seen her crying only once and that was when her son George died.

Empress Charlotte of Mexico, Queen Marie-Anoinette and the Romanovs for me.

I would say Queen Victoria, Queen Beatrix, and Prince Rainier who lost their spouses early. As well, Princess Diana who died tragically at an early age.

I would agree. Also Princes William and Harry, who lost their mother. :)

1. Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, Alexandra Fyodorovna and their children; Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei, because of the way that they were treated
2. The Princess of Wales, because she didn't deserved that faith
3. King Frederick VIII of Denmark, because he waited so long to become a king, and when he then became a king, he died very early
4. King Ludwig XVI, Queen Marie-Antoinette and their children, I just think in general their life was a hell

She didnt stay a Princess very long but i have to mention Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury

Her brother is beheaded and then when Henry VIII had a beef with her son and couldnt arrest him because he wouldnt come back to England her entire family was arrested and then at the age of 70 she herself was arrested. She was treated terribly and then the worst part was when she was beheaded, because she knew she didnt do anything wrong she struggled and the first stroke of the ax missed her neck and got her in the back, it took another 10 blows to kill her

I consider the lives of Alexandra,the last Tsarina,and Empress Soraya among the saddest I have known.JMO

To me Charles was one of the saddest royals being forced to marry a woman who couldn't make him happy and whom he was pressured into marriage before he was really aware of her shortcomings as a royal bride. This all came about because he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he truly loved. Now he is so much happier because he has married her.

To me Charles was one of the saddest royals being forced to marry a woman who couldn't make him happy and whom he was pressured into marriage before he was really aware of her shortcomings as a royal bride. This all came about because he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he truly loved. Now he is so much happier because he has married her.

I agree with you.
I realise life would be very very different without William and Harry but i still wish Charles hadn't married Diana and had the courage to ask Camilla before she was married herself.

Caroline, Grace and Masako are three other royals with incredible sad lives. :flowers:

I can't understand why he prefer Camilla? I'm sure that Diana loved him and Charles isn't happy of your blame,not her!He does the choice to marry Diana,if he doesn't want it why he destroyed her life-of course, he doesn't want it!He marry with her of duty and what....now she is death! Oh,everything could be different...

He preferred Camilla because he loves her and always has - she is his soul-mate and has an inner beauty that fits his life.

He married Diana after only about 13 dates because his father said basically 'propose or call it off' so Charles proposed in case he could come to love her and make it word when another year of so of dating would have made it clear to him, and probably her, that they weren't suited. She would have the stigma of having been dumped by Charles but so what - she might have married and had kids and been alive and we would know nothing about her and Charles could have had a happy life, even if a single one with Camilla there as well.

I don't think, at 19, Diana knew what love was at all. She had been raised on the romance stories of her step-grandmother where after the wedding everything ends 'happily ever after'. She was badly advised by her father who simply wanted one of his daughters to marry Charles to raise the Spencer family above the rest of the peerage.

He preferred Camilla because he loves her and always has - she is his soul-mate and has an inner beauty that fits his life.

I don't think, at 19, Diana knew what love was at all. She had been raised on the romance stories of her step-grandmother where after the wedding everything ends 'happily ever after'. She was badly advised by her father who simply wanted one of his daughters to marry Charles to raise the Spencer family above the rest of the peerage.

And how do you know this?

Did the Earl state this in any letters that have been made public? An autobiography?

From what I read, Diana married Charles simply because she was in love with him (although one can argue that it wasn't a mature love) and if anyone pushed her into it, it was Lady Fermoy.

And I think I am going to retract my Diana comment, as saddest royal. While I certainly think it was tragic that she died so young. I think Diana at the end was at peace with herself. After a series of mishaps (with the press, the love affairs) she was in a good place...she found comfort in her work, was a good place in her relationship with Charles (they were becoming friendly) and was looking for love. Of course, this is another subject for another thread.:flowers:

I do stand by those royals who lost their spouses. I would also like to add Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent.

Last edited:
Princess Caroline: a failed first marrige, the brutal losses of her mother and her second husband, the death of her father and the simultaneous ilness of her third husband... not to mention this ( apparently difficult ) past summer, so lonely.
And she was able to live through this all with such dignity... amazing! :wacko: :cry: :wacko:

I agree with Zonk about Princess Diana finding peace in her life by the time she died.

As for sad royals, Prince Charles because he never looks happy, CP Masako, Tsarina Alexandra, and the Princesses of Monaco - Grace, Caroline & Stephanie.

I would say William & Harry because of their sad childhood, but maybe they will find happiness later in life - so that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom