Saddest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marengo said:
In the book it is also stted that some historians see Zita's version as a way to clear the Habsburg family from any flaw. I assume that the Clemenceau error was prety obvious, to obvious for Zita to make it, so maybe she meant the later PM Clemenceau?

I think that 'person unknown´ could have lead to speculations etc and an official investigation while this way everything could be silenced. If Zita's version is true (not likely), and the emperor wanted to evade an internationl incident wih France, this would have been the most logical thig to do.

The other points which you state are indeed not in favour of Zita's version, but I do not think Zita was a person who would make things like these up.

With a bit of imagination the other points you state could have been set up as well, though a bit far-fetched. So a suicide is the most logical explanation (thnkig about the other posibilities is much more interesting though ;) )
Mayerling is set to remain a mysterious event, I think. There are several arguments against the suicide version, too... Unfortunately for us amateur historians, there was no Sherlock Holmes in 1889 Vienna.

Mapple said:
Mayerling is set to remain a mysterious event, I think. There are several arguments against the suicide version, too... Unfortunately for us amateur historians, there was no Sherlock Holmes in 1889 Vienna.

To be honest, I prefer Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot ;) But they werent present either, I am sure the 3 of them would have cleared it up though.

Marengo said:
Members of the house of Hesse-Darmstadt could use the prefix HRH. But even without it, any family in the first part of the Almanach de Gotha is considere 'royal', so yes, Alix was a royal princess, albeit not a princess of the UK.

oh, well, thanx, I know she was daughter of a Royal Princess, did not know she was a Royal herself.

tiaraprin said:
It would have ended in tragedy either way if she married Eddy or Nicholas. At least she loved Nicholas, it was a true love match. She suffered much to be with Nicholas with his hostile family, and her carrying the haemophelia gene to the Russian Royal Line. What would have happened if somehow she and Eddy had had a child?? That is one scary thought, considering how Eddy was and her genetic makeup.

in fact, as they were cousins, though a daughter of P. Louise of Wales, who was the oldest daughter of Edward VIII, did marry her cousin,a son of P. Arthur of Connaught, younger brother of King Edward the VII, what happened with their own kids, were they ill ?

Marengo said:
Maria Feodorovna did not detest her daughter in law at all. She, and the rest of the Romanovs tried to get along with Alexandra again and again but the woman was jut plain crazy. Even her own sister (Grand Duchess Elisabeth Feodorovna) came to that conclusion.

Alix was not crazy, in the end her son's illness drove her to some insane acts, as believing in Rasputin, but she was ok, a good mother and a good wife.

emily62_1 said:
in fact, as they were cousins, though a daughter of P. Louise of Wales, who was the oldest daughter of Edward VIII, did marry her cousin,a son of P. Arthur of Connaught, younger brother of King Edward the VII, what happened with their own kids, were they ill ?

I believe Alistair of Connaught was their son, and he was...peculiar. He died in his twenties and was well..peculiar at the least. However I do not think this was the case because of inbreeding, research shows that it is not as harmfull as people assume.

emily62_1 said:
Alix was not crazy, in the end her son's illness drove her to some insane acts, as believing in Rasputin, but she was ok, a good mother and a good wife.

well, all the other members of the romanov family, who actually knew her, had another opinion. But let's agree to disagree on this matter as everybody prefers to see Alix as the poor victim.

Marengo said:
I believe Alistair of Connaught was their son, and he was...peculiar. He died in his twenties and was well..peculiar at the least. However I do not think this was the case because of inbreeding, research shows that it is not as harmfull as people assume.

Inbreeding is not harmful?? Take a look at the Spanish Royal Family going back a few centuries!! The son of Philip II, Don Carlos, comes to mind. . . . .

that was a result of centuries of inbreeding. I was referring to one 1st cousin marriage.

princess olga said:
Such fascinating info, thank you all, it's been truly enlightening!! :)

Quick question though:

tiaraprin wrote: " Her sister Elisabeth had a strange epiphany of her own and became a nun. Now that was unusual--to give up all that material comfort to be a nun?"

Is this Elizabeth by any chance the mother of the current Duke of Edinburgh, prince Phillip? I know his mother became a nun at some point, <and> he is somehow closely related to the last Russian tzar as he, Phillip, was asked to donate some DNA I believe a few years back when they found some remains of the Russian RF..

Can someone tell me if I'm correct? THanks!

P. Philip's mother was P. Alice of Battenberg, whose grandmum was P. Alice, daughter of QV, alice of Battenberg's mother was instead P. Victoria, grandmother of P. Philip. In fact, when they found out the corpses of the last Tzar's Family, they wanted to compare their DNA with P. Philip's, I think they just did so.

Countess of Wessex lose her mother Mary Rhys-Jones but she still mourning but she still saddest

maryrhysjones-dop1a.jpg

princess olga said:
Such fascinating info, thank you all, it's been truly enlightening!! :)

Quick question though:

tiaraprin wrote: " Her sister Elisabeth had a strange epiphany of her own and became a nun. Now that was unusual--to give up all that material comfort to be a nun?"

Is this Elizabeth by any chance the mother of the current Duke of Edinburgh, prince Phillip? I know his mother became a nun at some point, <and> he is somehow closely related to the last Russian tzar as he, Phillip, was asked to donate some DNA I believe a few years back when they found some remains of the Russian RF..

Can someone tell me if I'm correct? THanks!

I believe she's P. Philip's aunt- P. Alice, daughter of QV, had Ella, Alicky, Victoria, who is P. Philip's grandmum, mother od P. Victoria of Battenberg, who had as issue P. Alice of Battenberg, mum of P. Philip's mother, Alice.

I would say the saddest are all the royals that have died young without living their lives out to the fullest. Particularly the last Grand Duchesses of Russia and their brother Alexei since they were murdered in such a gruesome way!

Tsar Nicholas II His wife and children
Prince John
Albert Victor Duke of Clarence

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands suffered from severe depression throughout his adult life. Luckily, he had a wife and sons who adored him and they were able to face his illness together.

That must be really sad for his wife and children, I wonder how it effected his daily life and his marriage?!:eek: Is that why Beatrix didn't look so devastated at his funeral like at her parent's funeral, Ah it's such a shame, Claus and Beatrix looked so in love at the time of their wedding!

Maybe you judged it from pictures but on television I could notice that the queen was upset at all three funerals, but during the funeral of her husband the queen was shaking and almost collapsed. This happened when the coffin of Prince Claus was brought into the cellar and the queen, supported by Johan-Friso had to wait for almost 10 minutes in the middle of the church, listening to Mozarts requim.

Yeah, I saw Prince Claus's funeral and I've never seen someone so devestated. She was totally out of it for that funeral - like she couldn't even bear to deal with it. I'm SURE that they were very much in love, even through all the rough times. I find video after video where Claus and Beatrix show great love and affection for each other, even way into their later years.

SpiffyBallerina said:
Yeah, I saw Prince Claus's funeral and I've never seen someone so devestated. She was totally out of it for that funeral - like she couldn't even bear to deal with it. I'm SURE that they were very much in love, even through all the rough times. I find video after video where Claus and Beatrix show great love and affection for each other, even way into their later years.

I dont know a lot about Beatrix , so what kind of Rough times?

The rough times started with the engagement. There was talk of forcing Beatrix to choose between the man she loved and her future position because Claus was a member of Hitler's army and The Netherlands was devestated by the war. I read that her friends said Beatrix would never leave her duty as future queen, but if she didn't marry Claus then she wouldn't marry at all. Their wedding and related events had smoke bombs and protestors. Beatrix said that they had faith in themselves and in their love and that they believed they could overcome quite a lot of hardships together. They made it through all this very well and Claus became one of the most beloved royals in the country.

After 1980, when Beatrix became queen, Claus suffered from depression. His wife was always busy with official business and it is reported that he felt useless (I would too!). Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus were very open about his illness and they worked through it together. Claus said it was a very awful disease but he thanked his wife and family for their support.

Towards the end of Prince Claus's life, he was very weak. He had Parkinson's Disease and he appeared very frail during the last years of his life. Beatrix was by his side throughout this and she was with him when he finally died in 2002.

So all in all, I think these two people were very much in love and they had to go through a lot more than most people. Again, I've seen and read things throughout their marriage in which it is SO obvious of their love. In his later years, Claus made some remarks thanking his wife for everything and she started giggling and blushing like she was a young girl. I really love this couple because their love was so genuine.

Re:

I'd have to say Marie Feodorovna - she had a horrid time losing her husband, her family, her position and her country.

I agree, Queen Beatrix during the Funeral of Prince Claus, first, then her parents. But especially Prince Claus. I didn't think that she would make it.

Queen Beatrix is a very strong woman, but the funeral of Claus seemed just to be too much for her. All time I was wondering: why am I watching this? I really would have given our Queen some privacy to grieve. But I couldn't stop watching it. It sure was sad, with the Requiem of Mozart and all. And so soon after that both her parents. That were just too many sad occassions in a short time, indeed.

Thank you "Spiffyballerina" for that , It was really intresting .
they did have a sad love story , but they had such a strong love !

Last edited:
Queen Victoria Eugenia (Called "Ena") of Spain (1887-1969) led a sad life. She married King Alfonso XIII of Spain on May 31, 1906 in Madrid, Spain. On her wedding day, someone threw a bomb at her carriage. She missed being hit by the bomb because she turned her head to look at St. Mary's Church. The bomb did hit the guard next to the carriage. His blood hit her wedding dress and spotted it! She rode through the streets of Madrid with blood on her dress! Ena's first child, Prince Alfonso was a haemophiliac. He later was killed in a car crash in 1938. Ena's second child, Prince Don Jamie suffered from double mastoiditis when he was four years old. He had an operation which left him deaf. Prince Don Jamie's speech never fully developed. Ena's fourth child was stillborn. Her last child, Prince Don Gonzalo was also a haemophiliac. He died in a car accident in Austria in 1934. King Alfonso blamed his wife for his childrens' haemophilia, because it ran in her family. This caused them to have an unhappy marriage. King Alfonso later fell in love with an actress named, Carmen Ruiz Moragas. She had the king's two illegitimate children. The King and Queen went into exile in 1931. They separated. Ena went to live in Britain until 1939. She was asked to leave England because she was no longer considered to be part of the British Royal Family. She went to live in Switzerland.

I don´t agree with the ones who say Caroline and Stephanie had sad lives, everyone lost their parents, it happens to everyone, they had wonderful lives for me. A sad story is Soraya´s, just for not having a child.

Queen Ena
The last Romanov children
Soraya
Prince John
Infante Alfonso (younger brother of King Juan Carlos of Spain)
Joan the Mad
Charles II of Spain

Soraya, Queen of Persia or Iran, was known as the Princess with sad eyes.
Princess Caroline for a time was too a sad person. But I believe if Queen Victoria had lived for more 20 years she woul be too a really sad person in sipte of everything that happend with her children, grandchlidren and great-grandchildren.

Jil said:
Ena went to live in Britain until 1939. She was asked to leave England because she was no longer considered to be part of the British Royal Family. She went to live in Switzerland.

What a cruel family...

:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom