The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM

The daughters of Nicholas II of Russia, Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia( OTMA) also were had a sad life, they rarely got a taste of "outside life", their brother, Alexei had haemophilia and most of all they were murdered by the bloody Bolshelviks when they were very young, Olga was 22, Tatiana was 21, Maria was 19 and Anastasia was 17. Depending on weather you think she weakend France or not Marie Antoinette is arguably also in the category.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryTheQueene View Post
I think Mary II of England had a pretty sad life. She was forced to married William of Orange (Holland) at the young age of 15, her husband deposed her own father (James II who was a Catholic), she didn't have any children, and she died of smallpox at the age of only 32.
She had a husband who loved her and mourned her the rest of his life. So yes she married young but she did have a loving marriage.

Her husband didn't depose her father - the parliament of England did that. Her husband was the beneficiary only because he was married to her but it wasn't his decision but that of the anti-Catholic parliament of the day.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

but their marriage wasn't all happy. There were no children. William had a mistress, though I think he did feel guilty about it.. and she died young. And I think she felt guilty about taking the throne, even if she believed it was right....
Old 08-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know has anyone mentioned Mary Tudor (Mary I).
Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
As for Q Vic, yes her losing Albert was a great sadness but she indulged in it, and while she certianly had a lto of sad times in her life, I think that she had a lot of gusto and enjoyed things as well.
I don't believe that it's fair to say that Queen Victoria "indulged" in her grief. I would rather say that she was going through a severe depression, and there was no good treatment for it back then.

Quote:
I'd say that Her daughter Victoria, Empress of Germany, had a pretty hard time.. as a foreigner in the Prussian court, never trusted, then losing her husband when she and he finally had the chance to be Emperor and Empress and make the changes they wanted to make, and then a painful death with her son hostile to her.
But it seems like Vicky wasn't the best mother to Wilhelm either, so I guess that their relationship was bound to go wrong eventually.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Royal Highness

Whenever I think of sadness, I remember Princess Soraya's picture when The Shah of Iran signed official papers releasing her as his wife. That photo really upset me. Neither looked happy and I don't personally believed wanted the divorce. But the old guy needed a child and she was brave enough to insist he remain faithful to her and not an additional wife. Still sad. Remember reading when he was undergoing cancer treatment towards end of his life, the Shah talked and reminisced about Soraya. How sad for them both.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Whenever I think of sadness, I remember Princess Soraya's picture when The Shah of Iran signed official papers releasing her as his wife. That photo really upset me. Neither looked happy and I don't personally believed wanted the divorce. But the old guy needed a child and she was brave enough to insist he remain faithful to her and not an additional wife. Still sad. Remember reading when he was undergoing cancer treatment towards end of his life, the Shah talked and reminisced about Soraya. How sad for them both.
Mirrors when Napoleon divorced Josephine in a ceremony infront f the court. Josephine was to read a statement about her sacrificing her marriage because her husband needed an heir but broke down in tears so it had to be read by someone else.
As Napoleon lay dying he talked about Josephine even though his rumoured last words "France – armée, tête d’armée – Josephine" doesn't seem to be true.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Commoner

In more modern times I think that Prince Henrik of Denmark must have been the ultimate sad royal. He was never happy since his wife became Queen of Denmark and I don't believe he had Alzheimer's all that time, so his actions in the earlier years are just the sign of a very unhappy man.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Henrik? I don't see why he should be.. he knew when he married Marg that she'd outrank him.. If that bothered him, don't marry...
I cant think that modern royals, as a rule suffer anyting like the pains and problems of royals in the past....
Old 04-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
In more modern times I think that Prince Henrik of Denmark must have been the ultimate sad royal. He was never happy since his wife became Queen of Denmark and I don't believe he had Alzheimer's all that time, so his actions in the earlier years are just the sign of a very unhappy man.
I think Prince Henrik was a VERY happy royal, who lived life to the max, who enjoyed all the pleasant things of live as a true bonvivant. Indulging in poetry, sculpting, wine-making, enjoying the French sun on his castle in France, feeling the breeze in his hair on the Royal Yacht, doting with his grandchildren as the most devoted grandfather can be.

Yes he openly vented his anger that in titulature, protocol and ceremonial male spouses to Sovereigns are treated differently to female spouses. But the fact that he had his heart out on a sleeve also means he did not swallow it, did not pile it up, but vented his frustration with that and then continued to enjoy the art park at Marselisborg Castle or went to inspect the restoration of a wall a the Château de Caïx. With his dachshunden, of course...

Henrik is the very last one I would ever associate with "sad"...!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Someone back in the thread mentioned Sofia Magdalena of Denmark (1746-1813), the queen of Gustav III of Sweden. She was indeed a woman, who had much bad luck in her life. Her marriage to King Gustav was a difficult one for her, because he paid very little attention to his more introverted wife. (Some people now believe that he was a homosexual, but I have also read a story about him being unhappily in love with a married lady.) People found it suspicious that Sofia had so many Danish people as her friends, despite how it was really difficult for her to make friends with Swedish people (most of them found her a bit boring).

It took a long time for Sofia Magdalena to become pregnant (rumors had it that the couple needed help from others, because they did not know how to "do it"). And when a heir finally was on his way, Sofia's mother-in-law Lovisa Ulrika (who had never approved of her in the first place) spread a vicious rumor that Gustav couldn't be that child's real father. Gustav himself was so angry with his mother about that mean stunt, that he wouldn't see her again until she was dying. It is also possible that Sofia had wanted to breastfeed her babies herself, but the king wouldn't let her do it. Either way, Sofia and Gustav were at best friendly to each other...

Sofia and Gustav still had two sons, but they would lose one of them (Karl Gustav) when he was only six months old. King Gustav was also shot by an assasin in 1792 and died from his wounds, which made it necessary for their fourteen-year-old son Gustav Adolf to become king (although his uncle Carl was the regent until he turned eighteen years old). Gustav IV Adolf (who might deserve an entry of his own in this thread) had to abdicate in 1809, because he got the blame for that Sweden had lost Finland to Russia in a war. So he and his family were forced to leave Sweden forever, and his poor mother was still around to see it happen. Sofia was never allowed to see her son again. She was only given a very special permission to write letters to him, which nobody else in Sweden had. And she only saw her daughter-in-law and her grandchildren one more time before they too were exiled. She died only four years after this happened...
Old 04-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Commoner

Denville, I agree with you that modern royals do not suffer anything like the past, but I still think that Henrik was sad, he may have been a bon vivant as Duc et Pair points out, but he was unhappy.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Henrik may have been unhappy about one sticking point that he wasn't created equal to his Queen by title but that had little to no real effect on his day to day life. He lived it to the max. He had a wife and family that he adored and a passel of dogs that were his constant companions.

A man that was unhappy with his life would not be one that secretly planned an arrangement of flowers into a garden setting during his funeral to remind his wife of a romantic and loving time between the two of them. From what we know, Henrik had a deep, spiritual side to him. He embraced life and the people in his life. This was a man with an attitude and he expressed it freely.

Discouraging words sometimes do not an unhappy person make.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Majesty

All the Prince's lifelong friends told that until he felt ill in Egypt, he enjoyed every bit of his life. A unhappy man would not find time to translate French poems in Danish, to investigate and write about the French gastronomy by French Chefs at the Danish Palaces, to inspect the process of restoration of old European heritage in the framework of Europa Nostra, to dress like harlequins for his latest Bal Masquerade where he challenged gentlemen to play a good game of bridge. No way that this was an unhappy man.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Carolina Matilda of Great Britain, the estranged wife of King Christian VII of Denmark, had a pretty sad life. To acknowledge my own ignorance about Danish royal history, I hadn't really read about her until I had the opportunity to see by accident the movie 'A Royal Affair' with Alicia Vikander and Mads Mikkelsen, which I recommend BTW.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
Denville, I agree with you that modern royals do not suffer anything like the past, but I still think that Henrik was sad, he may have been a bon vivant as Duc et Pair points out, but he was unhappy.
I don't think so,. Maybe he had a grievance..but it was a silly one and if he did allow it to make him "really unhappy" he was foolish.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Somebody back in the thread briefly mentioned Sofia Magdalena of Denmark (1746-1813), the queen of Gustav III of Sweden. She was indeed a woman, who had much bad luck in her life. Her marriage to King Gustav was a very difficult one, because he paid very little attention to his more introverted wife. (Some people now believe that he was a homosexual, but I have also read a story about him being unhappily in love with a married lady.) People found it suspicious that Sofia Magdalena had Danish people as her friends, despite the fact that it was really hard for her to make friends with any Swedish people.

It took a long time for Sofia Magdalena to become pregnant (rumors had it that the couple needed help from other people, because they did not know how to do it). .
I've read (in a novel) that he was a homosexual, and that he divorced her secretly and she secretly married some nobleman and produced her children.....
Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think so,. Maybe he had a grievance..but it was a silly one and if he did allow it to make him "really unhappy" he was foolish.
His grievance was not a silly but quite a justified one.
His solution however (name me King, like you name them Queen) was not practical.

But his analysis was spot on anyway.