Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About the Two Sicilian Kings:
Ferdinando I: Re Nasone, due to his nose, as Jonnydep1 as written, but also Re Lazzarone, due to his closeness to napoletan lower classes, also called Lazzaroni
Ferdinando II: Re Bomba (King Bomb), because in 1848 he sent a naval flotilla to shell the sicilian city of Messina
Francesco II: Re Lasagna or Lasa due to his love for this dish, but also he is well known as Franceschiello

mafan you are correct, king ferdinando / ferdinand I was also known as re lazzarone. this was due to the fact of his father becoming the king of spain, he renounced the throne of naples in his favor (aged only eight) and left him behind in naples under the regency of one mr b. tanucci. well the regent neglected the young kings education and instead of studying the king was left in the company of the palace servants etc, so that he grew up to speak with the dialect of the lazzaroni.............
you are also correct concerning his namesake, he was nicknamed " king bomba" and his son was also nicknamed "bombino" ( a pun of bamdino meaning son of king bomba, i think) as well as franceschiello......whatever that means ?

It was not a fault of the poor Mr Tanucci, but of the Prince of San Nicandro, the man who was responsable for the (failed) education of Ferdinando.
Tanucci was a good minister, but too much faithful to his ex King (read: too faithful to the Spanish), so after 1775 Queen Maria Carolina, the daughter of Archduchess Maria Teresa of Austria, worked to dismiss him...

I read [In the book about Queen Paola I think] that Prince Phillip of Belgium, when he was a little boy, could not pronounce the name of his sister Astrid.
So he called her Titi. And according the book it in the family it stayed Titi.

I read [In the book about Queen Paola I think] that Prince Phillip of Belgium, when he was a little boy, could not pronounce the name of his sister Astrid.

well that reminds me of princess margaret, who likewise, could not prenounce her sister's elizabeth's name (queen elizabeth II of the uk) as a child........Lilibet, and that stuck too !!!!:D

Maybe the fact that Princess Margriet of the Netherlands is called Pietie by her family has a similar origin.:ermm:

Maybe the fact that Princess Margriet of the Netherlands is called Pietie by her family has a similar origin.:ermm:

oh i do not know about that, have not heared that one before now !!!

well one learns something new each day......:)

:previous:
That Princess Margriet is called Pietie by her family is mentioned in a.o. post 18 of this Thread.
It was mentioned too in programs on the Dutch TV when Professor Mr Pieter and Princess Margriet where married 40 years.
The possible origin is just my guess :)

Yes, Titi sounds very sweet:flowers: If I remember it correctly, King Albert II's and Queen Paola's nicknames were mentioned in the same book: "Tino" and "Lina" -as derived from the Italian affectionate forms "Albertino" and "Paolina". Quite a nice idea i.m.o, because these nicknames are not as predictable as most of the other ones.
Does anybody know the nicknames of Mathilde, Philippe, Claire or Laurent?

Does anyone know if Queen Margrethe's sister Benedikte has a nickname? Her full name just seems so long to me.

Prince Carl Philip's friends call him Lippy:).

Princess Isabella of Denmark is nicknamed "Bella" :)
& isn't Eugenie of York nicknamed "Eugie"?

I think they call Charlotte of Monaco 'Char', which sounds awful IMO. Can anyone confirm this?

Alice of Great Britain (QV's daughter) - Fatima (no idea where that came from!)
King Leopold III of Belgium - Popol (by his mother, Queen Elisabeth)
Queen Elisabeth of Belgium - Lisa
Marie José of Belgium - La Petite
Queen Maud of Norway - Harry, Maudie
Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein (Helena's son) - Abby
Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (Abby's brother) - Christelle
Princess Helena-Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein - Thora, Snipe
Grand Duke Michael Mikhailovich of Russia - Miche-Miche
Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia - Bimbo

Royal Nicknames? Pet names?

What pet or nicknames do they have for each other? I know the DoE calls Queen Elizabeth 'sausage':)

I have heard he calls her 'cabbage' not 'sausage'.

Denmark:
King Frederik IX: Rico
Queen Ingrid: San (which comes from the Swedish word for Princess, 'Prinsessan')
Queen Margrethe II: Daisy (like her maternal grandmother, Princess Margaret of Connaught)
Crown Prince Frederik: Pingo (when he was in the Danish Frogman Corps)
Princess Isabella: Bella

The former King Constantine II of Greece is called Tino. Princess Alexandra of Denmark (Queen Consort to King Edward VII) was called Alix. Her sister, Princess Dagmar of Denmark (Maria Feodorovna) was called Minnie.

William was called Wombat by his parents, Wills by his mother
Harry is called Hazza I believe by his friends

I've also heard that once William joined the military, Charles called him Combat Wombat.

And someone mentioned that they lip read the Duke of Cambridge calling Catherine a nickname as they came out the door of the hospital. Did anyone else catch that?

I think nicknames are going to happen, it's quite natural. I do think Wills is quite a nice shortened version of William, and "Poppet" is quite an affectionate name. Charles calls Camilla "darling", but that's just a couple thing.

Lady Louise is apparently known as LouLou, and Sophie calls Edward "Ed" and Edward calls her "Soph".

I still think Lilibet is the cutest nickname, as well as Cabbage for QEII.

Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?

Maybe she likes daisies? (flowers). "Daisy" is also a diminutive from "Margaret" (English equivalent of Margrethe).

Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?

The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from :)

The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from :)

Also, the Queen's grandmother (Princess Margaret of Connaught) was called Daisy.

I've also read that Harry is called "Spike" by his friends.

Historically, Elizabeth I's nickname was "Bess" and Queen Victoria's nickname was "Drina". I've also heard that Henry VIII's nickname was "Hal".

HM is called "Lillibet" by family members which has been her nickname since she was little. Prince Harry is really called Henry but family members (and the media) call him Harry, which is a popular nickname for Henry. I've also read that the Duke of Kent is sometimes called "Eddy" by his family. Articles have said that little Prince George will be known as "Georgie". I've heard that Catherine's nickname at primary school was "Squeak". I've also heard that the Duchess of Windsor gave the Queen Mother the nickname of "Cookie". George VI was known as "Bertie" within the family.

I'm not too sure about European Royals' nicknames, but I know that (in the past) Princess Ileana of Romania's children were known as "Minola" (Archduchess Maria Ileana), "Sandi" (Archduchess Alexandra), "Niki" (Archduke Domonic), "Magi" (Archduchess Maria Magdalena) and "Herzi" (Archduchess Elisabeth).

I sometimes wonder what nicknames the European royal children are given (I know that Princess Isabella is known as "Bella", as mentioned in another post here).

Last edited:
Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia: "Mignon"

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia: "Nicky"
Alexandra Feodorovna: "Alix", "Alicky" and "Sunny"
Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia: "Olenka"
Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna of Russia: "The Governess"
Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna of Russia: "Mashka" and "le bon gros tou-tou" ('fat little bow-wow')
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia: "Shvybzik", "Malenkaya" and "Anastasie"
Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia: "Baby", "Sunbeam" and "Alyosha"

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"
Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia: "Misha"

Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale: "Eddie"
Princess Maud of Wales, Queen Consort of Norway: "Harry"

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"

i assume that that actually *is* his name, the name in russian is Georgii, which translates in english to George... Even though Georgii to western ears sounds like a shortened version of an actual name (like Bobby for Robert), in russian it isn't (just like Alexii, Dimitri etc all official names... if you want the shortened version of Dimitri, it's Dima...)

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Helena was known as "Lenchen" within the family and her elder sister, Victoria, Princess Royal, was known as "Vicky". Princess Victoria, Edward VII's daughter, was known as "Toria" (which I find cute). Queen Mary's nickname was "May", and she called her son Prince John "Johnnie". Also, George II had a daughter called Princess Amelia who was known as "Emily".

Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was known as "Ena" which was one of her middle names.

I have heard the press call Princess Madeleine "Madde", although I don't know if the Swedish Royal Family call her Madde personally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom