Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know lots of people in the Netherlands (including myself) call Willem-Alexander 'Wim-Lex', as 'Wim' is short for Willem and 'Lex' for Alexander...

Anne of Cleves, 4th wife of henry viii was called "the flanders mare."

pollyemma said:
Anne of Cleves, 4th wife of henry viii was called "the flanders mare."
Frankly, I never understood why she is called the 'flanders mare', because I thought she came from Cleves, a city which is actually about twenty miles from where I am living in the Netherlands and which is in Germany in these days. So I don't get the connection with her being called 'flemish' as we all know Flanders is in Belgium. Or didn't she live in Cleves but in Flanders? Or was her family originally from Flanders? Or was Flanders really big in those days? Just curious... :)

Royal nicknames

Hi everybody.

Great topic! :)

I remember reading a quote in which Princess Margaret referred to her sister, the Queen, as "Brenda", the name she was dubbed by the satirical UK Private Eye magazine.

And this isn't so much a nickname as a joke, I think: the Queen and Philip once visited a school for the deaf and, in a private aside, which was lipread by the students, the Duke called the Queen "cabbage".

And it was rumoured that Charles called Diana 'darling'. [ed]

Joanne
www.theroyalist.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Willem Alexander's nickname during childhood was Wimpie

I dont think so, Wimpie was used by King Willem III for his daughter, the later Queen WIlhelmina (grandmother of Beatrix). Queen Juliana's nickname was Jula and Prince Benrhard Bennilo or Benno. I believe Princess Margriet was always called 'zonneschijntje' (little sunshine), or 'Pietie' indeed (like pollyemma stated).

The british media is known for it's cruelty, that was clearly shown on Fergie who was called the "Duchess of Pork" because of her weight problems

I hear that Pierra Casiraghi had or have the nickname of "Babar". I think I read it in an interview with Princess Antoinette, she said something like: "Babar understands everything"

King Juan Carlos used to call Queen Federica "aunt Freddy" even if she really wasn't his aunt, and she called King Pavlos "Palo"

Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia was known as Sissy,
her brother August Wilhelm, was called Auwi,
Crown Princess Cecilie of Prussia had the nickname Cilly

ally_cooper said:
I hear that Pierra Casiraghi had or have the nickname of "Babar". I think I read it in an interview with Princess Antoinette, she said something like: "Babar understands everything"

Yeah that's right. Babar is one of his nicknames. They used it a lot when he was little. The other nicknames of Pierre are Pierrot and Clownie.

Do Charles and Camilla call themselves Fred and Gladys? I have read it somewhere...

LaChicaMadrilena said:
I have read somewhere that Letizia was called "Metizia" by Maxima since she is the only Crown Princess whose name doesn't start with "M" :)
Maxima has interesting sense of humour:D.
betina said:
Camilla is also one of them without an M :)
but it has been said that she will not became Queen Camilla but princess consort;) (I never heard/not sure if she is refered as Britain crown princess:confused:, I don't follow BRF closely).

Do Charles and Camilla call themselves Fred and Gladys? I have read it somewhere...
They did call each other Fred and Gladys. Not sure if they still do. Prince Charles and The Duchess are not Crown Prince and Crown Princess - we don't have that rank here. But I've noticed in the Danish and Norwegian media they call them Crown Prince Charles and Crown Princess Camilla.

Well, Billed-Bladet nearly always refers to them as Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Victoria, Princess Royal, later Empress of Germany: Vicky
Victoria, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine: also Vicky
Victoria of Wales, daughter of Edward VII.: Toria
Victoria of Prussia, daughter of Princess Royal: Moretta

Seems, Charles is calling Camilla "darling" all the time..

pollyemma said:
Diana was called "Duch" short for Duchess by her sisters.

I've never understood this one as Andrew wasn't even a duke then. Was it in reference to his future title?

Princess Elisabeth of Belgium - Lilly:)

I don't know who (maybe the tabloids) but one of Princess Anne name's is Princess Grumpy. Does any body know who gave her this nickname?

Danielane said:
Where did you reed this? I thought it was Lisa or Elisa.
On the last video from Bokrijk - Mathilde called Elisabeth few times Lilly.
It's little similar to the Elizabeth II's nickname - Lillibet.

kimebear said:
I've never understood this one as Andrew wasn't even a duke then. Was it in reference to his future title?

Diana had a crush on Prince Charles when she was a teenager so her friends started calling her Duch, short for Duchess. They always liked calling her that because it was a royal rank and she always said she wanted to marry Charles one day. I think this is expained in Diana her true story.

i tok it bec everyone tok diana is going to marry andrew instead of charles so they call the nick name duch

karla64 said:
Yes I read the magazine from Royal Wedding. It said nickname Milla..

I don't know about Charles's nickname Chuck?????

Well, Andrew Morton wrote in Diana: Her True Story that Prince Charles and Camilla's pet names were Fred and Gladys. But James Whitaker and others say the GF was actually for "Girl Friday," which Prince Charles apparently called Camilla. These things don't make much sense. I just roll my eyes and think, Oh lord! I can't believe people are already saying Prince William calls Catherine Babykins! Do you think he does, that he would really call her that with witnesses?! :lol:

VictoriaRomanov said:
I don't know who (maybe the tabloids) but one of Princess Anne name's is Princess Grumpy. Does any body know who gave her this nickname?

The Princess Royal is "Prince Philip in a skirt!" Everyone knows that! :ROFLMAO:

sheikh hamdan is called fazza3

sheikh ahmed is called 3azzam

I found a new royal nickname I love: Ama. It is the nickname of Princess Catharina-Amalia that was used by Princess Maxima and Princess Alexia during Sunday's photosession in Lech, Austria. I wonder if Alexia gave Amalia that nickname herself-awww.

VictoriaRomanov had asked who gave the Princess Royal the name of Princess Grumpy. I am not sure if I remember this exactly, but I think it was given to her by Fleet Street, or perhaps by the American press when she and Prince Charles visited the US in the early 70s. She had a sour face in some pictures and was criticized for not giving a good impression. I don't know if it was fair or not. It's just what I remember reading. I believe this "incident" was recounted in Kitty Kelly's book on the royals (a horrendous book, by the way, very poorly sourced and unoriginal in its entire content.)

CasiraghiTrio said:
Well, Andrew Morton wrote in Diana: Her True Story that Prince Charles and Camilla's pet names were Fred and Gladys. But James Whitaker and others say the GF was actually for "Girl Friday," which Prince Charles apparently called Camilla. These things don't make much sense. I just roll my eyes and think, Oh lord! I can't believe people are already saying Prince William calls Catherine Babykins! Do you think he does, that he would really call her that with witnesses?! :lol:

Maybe this came from Morton's book, but during the engagement, Diana found cufflinks (?) Camilla had given Charles engraved w/ F&G for Fred and Gladys.

Back
Top Bottom