Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.

Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.

Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.

That's very cute. :)

Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.

Thanks LadyFinn, I was wondering about Madeleine's nickname. Is Vickan a Swedish/Scandinavian nickname for Victoria? I haven't heard it being used in English.

Kate is the Duchess of Cambridge nickname

Kate is the Duchess of Cambridge nickname

I wouldn't call it a nickname .... It's a diminutive of Catherine .... My name is Katherine and I get called kate ...Deffo not a nickname

Diminutives are nicknames as well though. A specific type of nickname, but a nickname nonetheless.

Thanks LadyFinn, I was wondering about Madeleine's nickname. Is Vickan a Swedish/Scandinavian nickname for Victoria? I haven't heard it being used in English.

In Russian the nickname for Victoria is 'Vika', so maybe the nickname(s) bounced off each other at some point.

Kate is not a nickname just a diminutive.

Yes, Vickan is a swedish nickname for Victoria. I don't know if it is used in Norway or Danmark.

Queen Paola calls king albert Tino

In Russian the nickname for Victoria is 'Vika', so maybe the nickname(s) bounced off each other at some point.

Yes, Vickan is a swedish nickname for Victoria. I don't know if it is used in Norway or Danmark.

Thanks Daria and LadyFinn. I quite like Vickan/Vika. Both nicknames have a nice sound to them. I have checked online to see if Vickan is used in Norway and Denmark, and from what I've read I think it's just used in Sweden.

afaik former Queen Juliana of the Netherlands was called "Lula" by her husband P.Bernhard (sort of a germanish variation of her name it seems..)

P.Beatrix calls her youngest son Constantijn "Tijntje" (which is a diminutive of his name)

Last edited:
Could Tips really weigh 13lbs already??

Hip hop nicknames for the Royals

C Pow
C Doc
Q Liz
P Doe

I've also seen Pippa referred to as P Middy

HRH Prince Antônio of Brazil - Tôni.

HRH Prince Rafael of Brazil - Rafa.

HRH Princess Amélia of Brazil - Meleca (which means snot in portuguese :lol:).

HRH Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil - Nuki and Nukita.

HRH Princess Isabel of Brazil - Bubu and Bica.

HRH Princess Eleonora, the Princess of Ligne - Tútsi.

HH Princess Alix of Ligne - Lix.

From the interview with Mary and Frederik we now know that Frederik refers to Mary as Maz. :ROFLMAO:;)

""He looks at his wife. "Where do you want to sit, Maz?" Evidently the prince has adopted the Australian habit of shortening names."

Prince Alfred, the son of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort, Prince Albert, had the nickname of Affie.
His only son, Prince Alfred Alexander William Ernest Albert, had the nickname of Young Affie.

Did Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence and Avondale ever use Bertie as a nickname?
If YES, are there any letters signed by him using Bertie?
Are there any school papers with his signature as Bertie? :writing:

Skippyboo, Archduchess Zelia, and Iluvbertie, Thank you for explaining about the Eddy name for Albert Victor.

Princess Sophie, one of Prince Philip's sisters, was known in the family as Tiny.
She grew to be the tallest of Philip's four sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
He wasn't a Bertie because that was his father's nickname. He was Eddy.

Albert Victor was known as "Eddy" among family and friends - presumably because his full name was Albert Victor Christian Edward. His father was called Bertie, so I reckon that's why he wasn't called Bertie as well.

Prince Albert Victor was always called 'Eddy' not Bertie.

His father was Bertie to distinguish him from his father - Albert.

Bertie and Alix actually wanted to name Eddy - Edward - but Victoria intervened and announced the name of Albert Victor before the parents could do so but the parents still called him what they always intended on calling him anyway.

He didn't go to school but had tutors at home and then went into the navy where he trained.

Prince Michael of Kent's nickname was Maow, wonder if the Queen and his older siblings still call him that.

(source: George and Marina, Duke and Duchess of Kent by Christopher Warwick)

Princess Josephine of Denmark is called "Fine".

I saw a gif recently where Queen Mathilde of Belgium (when she was Duchess of Brabant) calls Princess Elisabeth "Lisa". EDIT: here it is.

When he was in the Royal Navy, Prince Andrew of Great Britain's nickname was "H" for Highness.

James Ogilvy and his sister Marina of England use to call themselves "Jo" and "Mo" because of their initials.

Princess Margaret Rose and Antony Armstrong-Jones' nicknames for each other were Tone and Pet.

Once Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter married, she could be known by her husband's title of Princess Henry of Battenberg.
Once her niece married, this Princess Beatrice could be known by her husband's title of Princess Alfonso de Orleans y Borbon.
Their married titles are easier than Aunt Beatrice and Niece Beatrice.

King Felipe V of Spain and his second wife, Queen Elizabeth (Elisabeth) Farnese use to call their children:
Carlos (the future Carlos III) : Carlet
Felipe : Pipo
Maria Teresa : Tete
Luis Antonio : Lulu

Prince Philip of Greece / Great Britain called Queen Marie of Romania "Aunt Missie".

It was Peter Shand Kydd who first nicknamed Diana Spencer "Dutch", short for "Duchess".

Please list the titles that Monarchs and Royalty have been called.

Richard I of England: the Lionhart
Mary I of England: Bloody Mary
Louis XIV of France: the Sun King
Prince Henry of England: the Young King (Henry, the son of King Henry II of England, was crowned as the appointed heir in 1170.)
Frederick V, Elector Palatine, King of Bohemia: the Winter King
Augustus II, King of Poland: Augustus the Strong

Jessica Craig was a former girlfriend of Prince William of Wales. Does anyone know the history of how Jessica was called Jecca?

Anna Sloan was an American who had shared some of Prince William of Wales' classes at St. Andrews. Her friends from the state of Tennessee had given William the nickname of the Duke of Hazzard.

Princess Louise-Hippolyte was the daughter of Prince Antoine I of Monaco. She was called Coco.
Her sister Princess Marguerite-Camille was called Poupon.
Her sister Princess Marie-Pelline was called Chabeuil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Victoria's first nickname was "Drina," when she was a little girl - short for Alexandrina Victoria.

I'm not surprised Josephine of Denmark has a nickname - most English speaking people do shorten long names - I'll bet Mary has nicknames for all four.

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden was known as Tjabo when he was younger by friends. When he was a child he was called Lillprinsen (little prince) in magazines or Hertigen (the duke) at home (source: Folkhemsprinsessor | Kultur | SvD )
Princess Christina, fru Magnusson was known as Titti, her husband Tord Magnusson is known as Tosse.
Prins Johann George von Hohenzollern (husband of princess Birgitta of Sweden) was known as Hansi.
King Gustaf V of Sweden used the name Mr. G. when playing tennis. He was nicknamed V-Gurra by the people in Sweden.
Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, married princess of Sweden was nicknamed Solstrålen (the sun ray) by her father-in-law Oscar II (source: Villa Fridhems historia )
Her son Carl Jr was known by the nickname Samuel.
Princess Eugénie of Sweden used the pseudonym E****** as an artist.

Back
Top Bottom