Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry evidently calls the DoC 'Cath' at times...he let that slip in one of the interviews he's done.

William has referred to the Queen as 'Gan Gan' as to what his children call her.

LaRae

According to the biography of Charles I'm reading now (Bedell Smith), Charles also called Queen Mary Gan Gan. :D

My favorite of all times still has to be William's nickname when he entered the service. Combat Wombat. :D

Camilla of Cornwall is called Gaga by her grandchildren

The other day, the DM posted a photo of a handwritten letter from Princess Alexandra to her brother The Duke of Kent. She signed it "Georgie".

Who knew?

Granny and Freddy."
Any idea why Pss Alex signed it Georgie? It isn't one of her names, I mean Georgina.. and I've never heard of that being something she was called...

I'm just starting to read the authorized biography of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother by William Shawcross and found it interesting to know that as a small child, she was affectionately known as "Buffy". :D

Isnt' Buffy a common American "pet name"?
I cant think of any nicknames apart from Randy Andy (we all know who) and Albert Victor being called "Collar and Cuffs"

William has referred to the Queen as 'Gan Gan' as to what his children call her.

LaRae

According to the biography of Charles I'm reading now (Bedell Smith), Charles also called Queen Mary Gan Gan. :D

I think Gan Gan is the designated name for great-grandmothers going back to Queen Victoria.

Buffy is not very common nickname, old fashioned. So much so, when Buffy the vampire slayer came out, few realized it was a nickname.

Buffy is believed to stem from Beth/y. Children having trouble pronouncing it, it turned to Buff not Beth.

It is indeed the source for the queen mum. As a child she mispronounced her own name and said Elizabuff. Her older siblings teased her lovingly, so much so even as she grew up, they would use Buffy.

Yes Its not one I have heard often but Buffy is an "abbreviation" of Elizabeth as in "Bethy-Beffy-Buffy"..
Kind of like the alteration of Margaret to Meg to Peg...

Emperor Nicholas I of Russia called Empress Alexandra (Charlotte of Prussia) Mouffy.

Prince Louis Philippe of Belgium (1833-1834), the eldest son of King Leopold I of the Belgians, was nicknamed Babochon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia, the son of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany was called Auwi.

Princess Frederica of Hanover (1848-1916) was known as "Lily" within her family.

Queen Margaretha of Denmark is called Daisy.
Is this a common nickname in the British RF too?

Np. "View all your posts" under Search and User CP are very helpful!

Margrethe certainly seems to like her name, with all the daisy jewelry she has.

Last edited:
I only visit the forums on my mobile, but there must be a way to search on it too.

Archduke Ludwig Viktor of Austria was called Luziwuzi.

Grand Duchess Vladimir was nick named Miechen and the Empress Dagmar called her Empress Vladimir

Princess Maud was nick named Harry or Henry because she was reportedly sporty

Some family members called the former King Juan Carlos Juanito or Pepe I think

The late Countess of Paris was called Bebelle or Madame or Tante Bebelle

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Maud was nick named Harry or Henry because she was reportedly sporty

I thought that it was because one of her godfathers was called Harry and Pss Alexandra used the name as her nickname

Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi was called privately "Madi" by his wife Empress Farah.

Prince Philip’s older sister Theodora was apparently known in the family as ‘Dolla’ and his sister Sophie (seven years older than Philip) was known as ‘Tiny’.

Frederica of Baden (1781-1826) was Queen of Sweden from 1797 to 1809 as the consort of King Gustav IV Adolf.
She was known as "Frick" to her family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom