Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, she must have been mad.....

When he was Prince of Wales, the eventual George IV was called Prinny. He was also called the Prince of Whales because of his size.

George III and Queen Charlotte's first daughter whose name was also Charlotte was called 'Royal' although she was not officially given the title of Princess Royal until 1789.

Another of their daughter's Mary, was called Minny.

Both Edward VII and George VI were called Bertie. Edward VII was also nicknamed 'Tum Tum' but not in his hearing, well not if you wanted to remain in his friendship.

And apparently Charles Fox (a political leader of the time) called George III 'Satan', obviously not to his face! :ohmy:

LaChicaMadrilena said:
I have read in Letizia Ortiz's blog (of course it isn't her blog, but nevermind) that:
Letizia calls her Prince Charming: "High boy:D", "Filip" or "Principazu"
Felipe calls his Princess: "Dońa", "Ortiz" or "Jefe":)

I have no idea if it's truth.

We all know now who's boss :lol::lol:

King Carl Gustav XVI called Queen Margarethe II, "Daisy".

Tsarina Alexandra of Russia was "Sunny" and "Alicky"

Her mother called her sunny because she was always smiling and happy, but after her mother died she became very cold when not around her family and most intimate friends.

All the Romanovs had some nickname. All of them were very sweet and I actually like them a lot. We'll see some of them:

Nicholas II: Nicky
Empress Maria Feodorovna: Minnie.
Nicholas Alexandrovich (Nicholas II's uncle): Nicolasha.
Michael Alexandrovich (Nicholas II's younger brother): Misha.
Elizabeth Feodorovna (Alix sister): Ella.
Olga Nicholaievna: Olya; Olishka.
Tatiana Nicholaievna: Tanya; Tanushka.
Maria Nicholaievna: Mashka; "Little Bow-Wow".
Anastasia Nicholaievna: Nastya; Nastenka; Natasha; Malenkaya; the Imp.
Alexis Nicholaievich: Alexei; Alyosha; Alyoshenka; Sunbeam.

I was a little reluctant over the fact of posting the name "Alexei" as a surname, since some people is actually using it as his name, saying that "Alexis" is only an English version of Alexei. But a friend of mine, who is of Russian origine, said me that "Alexis" is the correct name and "Alexei" only the common Russian nickname to Alexis. I think I must believe him, not only for he speaks currently Russian to his family, but because his own name is Alexis and her granny used to call him "Alexei"...

Some other Russian person here to affirm or deny this info? I'm very interested in Alexis REAL name! :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

VictoriaRomanov said:
I don't know who (maybe the tabloids) but one of Princess Anne name's is Princess Grumpy. Does any body know who gave her this nickname?

Humm...I don't know. This nickname seems to be very inappropiate to Princess Anne. She is always smiling and when she was a little girl she appears in photos even laughing frankly...:shock:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Humm...I don't know. This nickname seems to be very inappropiate to Princess Anne. She is always smiling and when she was a little girl she appears in photos even laughing frankly...:shock:

Vanesa.

Well, a temporary tag assigned by a journalist isn't what I'd call a nickname.

To me, a nickname is one that is used widely and over an extended period of time, especially if used by friends and relatives.

This is such a great forum! I never thought that royals could have nicknames, even though they are real people just like us. You don't think about stuff like this sometimes.

Vanesa said:
I was a little reluctant over the fact of posting the name "Alexei" as a surname, since some people is actually using it as his name, saying that "Alexis" is only an English version of Alexei. But a friend of mine, who is of Russian origine, said me that "Alexis" is the correct name and "Alexei" only the common Russian nickname to Alexis. I think I must believe him, not only for he speaks currently Russian to his family, but because his own name is Alexis and her granny used to call him "Alexei"...

Some other Russian person here to affirm or deny this info? I'm very interested in Alexis REAL name! :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

I'm not Russian but Russian is sort of my first language and I lived in Russian for quite a long time, so I guess I can answer your question.

There is no such name as "Alexis" in Russian, the proper name is "Alexei".
Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov was the proper name for him (Цесаревич Алексей Николаевич in Russian).
His nicknames were just "Baby" when he was born.
Later he was affectionately referred to as Alyosha (Алёша) and Lyoshka (Лёшка).

In the fact of the name you must be quite right: you lived in Russia, so you must know what you are saying. But, in fact the other nicknames as "Sunbeam", "Alyosha", Alyoshenka" and even "Tiny", were used by his family. They are quoted in his family correspondence. You'll find them in the letters by the Imperial Family, reccopilled in an excellent book: "A Lifelong Passion -Nicholas and Alexandra .Their own story", by Andrei Maylunas and Sergei Mironenko, but they are also mentioned in "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert. K. Massie. Of course, I suppose that the Imperial family nicknamed Alexei more commonly as "Alyosha", an that the others nicknames are only employed here and there.

And yes...Of course! They called him "Baby" (even when he was 13 years old boy). How could I forget this nickname, the more important of all, and the most widely used by Alexei's parents? Thank you for remind me about it.:)

Oh, and by the way, I'm the member of another Forum devoted to the Last Tzar and his family, and there another member assured that the Heir was also nicknamed "Lexi", but since I never found any source for this affirmation, I can't assure this is true. I suppose not.

Vanesa.

That must have been embarrassing, being called "Baby" when Alexei was thirteen, especially for a boy. I would have been mortified.

Yep...But these are thing that parents uses to do, without thinking what embarrassing it could be for their children. I know a man who is nearly 60 years old and his family always calls him "Bebote" (in Spanish it means "Big Baby" :rolleyes: ) I think this is worse! Poor man! In fact, I don't know which is his real name! :lol:

Vanesa.

Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg is always referred as Alex and has been for 12 years now.

Prince Joachim is called Jokke. Sounds stupid but funny :D But I think it is merely in private homes (at least in ours)

GrandDuchessOlga said:
Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg is always referred as Alex and has been for 12 years now.

Prince Joachim is called Jokke. Sounds stupid but funny :D But I think it is merely in private homes (at least in ours)
Like Joke:lol:

The late Princess Grace of Monaco had two nicknames Gracie or Graciebird. What a terrible nickname Graciebird I could not have a nickname like that yuck.

I just love Graciebird...It sounds like a song! :flowers: And Princess Grace herself was like a beatiful song...

Vanesa.

Diana was called 'Spencer' by her friends because in her school there were 3 diana ....

Camilla nicknamed her 'the ridiculous creature' (I think that's it :ermm: ... ) and Diana called her 'rottweiler'. With hindsight that's just childish, I don't think that today Diana or Camilla would find that kind of stuff hurtful.

Wisdom comes with time ....

Last edited:
Siepie said:
Alexander of the Netherlands enjoys a beer. So that's why some of his friends called him 'Prins Pils' which means 'Prince Beer'.

I've heard that the 'Prins Pils' nickname was origined by a lot of beers actually ... :rolleyes:

Luckily right now he's more known as the "Waterprince" for his concern and various activities regarding the responsible use of water ...

I know lots of people in the Netherlands (including myself) call Willem-Alexander 'Wim-Lex', as 'Wim' is short for Willem and 'Lex' for Alexander...

Some people refer to Willem-Alexander as Wapvo (W.A. Prins Van Oranje). I think some comedian started that.

I also heard Pieter van Vollenhoven calling his wife Margriet 'M' or Em. I like that, it's sweet! It makes me wonder if granddaughter Emma is (sort of...) named after Margriet.

Prince William was called wombat by Diana :flowers:

Don't forget Empress Elisabeth of Austria, Queen of Hungary: Lisi, or Sissi.

And her granddaughter Elisabeth, the daughter of Rudolph, was called Erzsi, while during the pregnancy she was called Waclaw.

In the Italian Royal Family, King Umberto II was called "Bepo", his sister Jolanda "Anda", while his sister Mafalda "Muti" and, after the wedding, "Mauve"; before the birth of Umberto, the Duchess of Aosta used to call her son Amedeo, then 2nd in the line of Succession, "Mon petit roi", "My little king", sure that he would have been the future King of Italy. She also used to call Queen Elena "Bergère", "Shepherd", hinting at her origins in Montenegro.

In the Italian Royal Family, King Umberto II was called "Bepo", his sister Jolanda "Anda", while his sister Mafalda "Muti" and, after the wedding, "Mauve"; before the birth of Umberto, the Duchess of Aosta used to call her son Amedeo, then 2nd in the line of Succession, "Mon petit roi", "My little king", sure that he would have been the future King of Italy. She also used to call Queen Elena "Bergère", "Shepherd", hinting at her origins in Montenegro.

well not quite, my sources would suggest that the king was known as "UNCLE BEPPO" to the younger members of europe's royal families....... apparently the king was very popular amongst the younger generation !!

All the children of Duke Maximilian and Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria had a nickname:
Ludwig Wilhelm was Louis
Helene was Nenè
Elisabeth was Lisi or Sisi
Karl Theodor was Gackl
Marie Sophie was Spatz
Maximilian Emanuel was Mapperl
The only nickname I don't know is the one of Sophie Charlotte.

All the children of Duke Maximilian and Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria had a nickname:
Ludwig Wilhelm was Louis
Helene was Nenè
Elisabeth was Lisi or Sisi
Karl Theodor was Gackl
Marie Sophie was Spatz
Maximilian Emanuel was Mapperl
The only nickname I don't know is the one of Sophie Charlotte.

hello..... concerning the first mentioned as his name in german / austrian is ludwig, his name in french is louis, in english lewis and correct me if i am wrong- luigi in your own tongue italian, luis in portuguese / spanish and so on.......... surely it can not be a nickname as such ?

i would also like to add that any diminutives of one invidvidual's given name, should not be taken as a nickname, as most was used to avoid confusion amongst other family members with the same name within the family / families as a whole, and also they are used in terms of endearment etc.

my concept of nicknames are as follows (a few examples)

foxy ferdinand (king / tsar ferdinand I of bulgaria) as it was said he was as sly and cunning as a fox
augustus the strong (king augustus I of saxony) this refered to his physical strengh rather his strengh as a ruler, for he could hold two state trumpeters one each hand at arms length, whilst they played a fanfare.
king ferdinand I ,the king of the two sicilies was known as "the nasone" due to his huge nose,
king francis II another of this royal house was known as "the lasagna" as he was forever gorging himself with that pasta dish.

well i could go on.......

About the Two Sicilian Kings:
Ferdinando I: Re Nasone, due to his nose, as Jonnydep1 as written, but also Re Lazzarone, due to his closeness to napoletan lower classes, also called Lazzaroni
Ferdinando II: Re Bomba (King Bomb), because in 1848 he sent a naval flotilla to shell the sicilian city of Messina
Francesco II: Re Lasagna or Lasa due to his love for this dish, but also he is well known as Franceschiello

Back
Top Bottom