Royal Nick-Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LaChicaMadrilena said:
I have read somewhere that Letizia was called "Metizia" by Maxima since she is the only Crown Princess whose name doesn't start with "M" :)

Camilla is also one of them without an M :)

betina said:
Camilla is also one of them without an M :)
Welll, her nickname is Milla! Or Mamilla if you want!;)

BeatrixFan said:
I think Camilla is known as Milla.

Yes I read the magazine from Royal Wedding. It said nickname Milla..

I don't know about Charles's nickname Chuck?????

LaChicaMadrilena said:
I have read somewhere that Letizia was called "Metizia" by Maxima since she is the only Crown Princess whose name doesn't start with "M" :)

:D ..I've only just realised they are all 'Ms' apart from Leti :rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth got the name Lilliebet because that is how she used to pronounce her name was she a very small child, and it stuck!

Princess Mariléne name is Marie Heléne.. well I have read so.

Crown Prince Haakon had a nickname; Johnny from Stovner (a part of Oslo). I don't know who gave it to him (or wether he did it himself), but I think it was used when he was a teen. I guess it was used when he wanted to be anonymous. You know just be any ordinary guy :) But I don't think it is used anymore.

And either Princess Ragnhild or Princess Astrid called King Harald, Hajan when he was little. I guess his name was hard to pronounce!

KikkiB said:
Crown Prince Haakon had a nickname; Johnny from Stovner (a part of Oslo). I don't know who gave it to him (or wether he did it himself), but I think it was used when he was a teen. I guess it was used when he wanted to be anonymous. You know just be any ordinary guy :) But I don't think it is used anymore.

And either Princess Ragnhild or Princess Astrid called King Harald, Hajan when he was little. I guess his name was hard to pronounce!
Hajan! thats so sweet!:rolleyes:

In the tradition of Beniffer, Garnerflec, Brangelina, and TomKat; the US media has dubbed Britians number one couple, Charles and Camilla, "Charmilla". I saw it on the news today and was suprised I didnt think of it myslef. Milla has been a nickname for Camilla since she was a little girl.

Princejonnhy25 said:
In the tradition of Beniffer, Garnerflec, Brangelina, and TomKat; the US media has dubbed Britians number one couple, Charles and Camilla, "Charmilla". I saw it on the news today and was suprised I didnt think of it myslef. Milla has been a nickname for Camilla since she was a little girl.
I like Charmilla!;) :D

Alexander of the Netherlands enjoys a beer. So that's why some of his friends called him 'Prins Pils' which means 'Prince Beer'.

For the Monacos:

Albert: Albie or Bébert

Caroline: Caro, Grimmy or Max

Stephanie: (heavens she has a lot) Steph or Stephie (by everyone) , Lilly (by her classmates), Little fish ( by Caroline and Albert), Tama ( by her nieces and nephews), Galinette ( by her ex brother-in-law)

Andrea: Andy or Bébert

Charlotte: Charlie or PommePomme

Pierre: Pierrot or Clowny

Louis: Loulou or Bomber

Pauline: Linie

Camille: Mimine

Alexandra: Alex

Ernst jr.: Ernstie

Ernst- August: Ernie ( by Stephanie)

Christian: Chris

I once read (I think it was in an interview) that Frederik aquired his nickname because his diving-suit was filled with water, making him walk like a penguin. One of his diving mates then said ''Look, Pingo!''

michelle said:
For the Monacos:

Albert: Albie or Bébert

Caroline: Caro, Grimmy or Max

Stephanie: (heavens she has a lot) Steph or Stephie (by everyone) , Lilly (by her classmates), Little fish ( by Caroline and Albert), Tama ( by her nieces and nephews), Galinette ( by her ex brother-in-law)

Andrea: Andy or Bébert

Charlotte: Charlie or PommePomme

Pierre: Pierrot or Clowny

Louis: Loulou or Bomber

Pauline: Linie

Camille: Mimine

Alexandra: Alex

Ernst jr.: Ernstie

Ernst- August: Ernie ( by Stephanie)

Christian: Chris

I`m a bit amused, i could never imagine that Charlotte is called PommePomme. I love Linie and Mimine they are sooo cute.
BTW Stefano called Lilly "galinette"???

Here are a few of the British royal family.

The Queen Mum was known as Gran, or Granny.
The Queen is Lilibet. I also think it helped to differentiate from the Queen Mother.
I have never heard any nicknames for Prince Philip, the Princess Royal, Prince Andrew or Prince Charles. Besides the Queen calling Prince Philip, sweet heart a little bit too close to the press pack.
Prince Edward was called Nignod by Peter Philips when he was a toddler. When he started school, a teacher mistakingly thought his name was Earl Windsor. The EARL was in fact his initials that appeared on the class register. His friends continued to all him Earl until he got braces and than he became Jaws. Edward is called Ed by his family, You'll notice that the Duke of Edinburgh refers to him as Our Edward to distinguish him from the other family Edward's. The Queen apparently also calls him dear.
The family calls the Countess of Wessex, Soph.

Why is Charlotte called PommePomme? Does she really like apples or something?

LaMinka said:
Princess Mariléne name is Marie Heléne.. well I have read so.

yes that is her legal name. when she got a little older she decided to sort of combine them to make it Marilene. (a very pretty name, imho)

this is a fairly common practice in the netherlands. though the 'combination' nickname is usually given to the child at birth by the parents rather than later in life.

Princess Christina of the Netherlands' legal name is Maria Christina. when she was born her parents said they intended her to be called "Marijke" -a loose combination of the names' Maria' and 'Christina.'

it was christina herself who when she got a little older (i think in her late teenage years) anounced that she would like to be called 'Christina' she felt "Marijke' was a name for a little girl and no longer suited her.

but its very common for a dutch person who has a 'combination' nickname to keep using it their whole lives.

pretty much everyone went along with the change from 'Marijke' to 'christina' but a very small group of people -my 92 year old great aunt for instance- still call her 'Marijke.' when I hear her say it i always have to smile at this obscure little piece of royal history.

I can't recall where, but I also read the comment on Maxima calling Letizia, Metizia. Quite humorous! I have asked this before but does anyone know if the CP's (although I realize all of them don't use that title) ever get together unofficially? For instance, I have wondered if there might have been a mass baby shower somewhere this past year!?

regardez said:
Why is Charlotte called PommePomme? Does she really like apples or something?
I think it's because of her third name Pomeline ... don't now if it has anything to do with apples.
The name ' Galinette' for Stephanie comes from Alain Ducruet.

When King Carl Gustaf of Sweden were a young crown prince he was called Tjabo by his friends...

King Mohamed VI of Morocco is called M6 ;) and the Yves-saint-laurent perfume M6 is an homage to the king

Camilla was called "rottweiler" by Diana...

And then she turned into a cute poodle! Well, an old poodle, but still cute. :p I give her credit for bringing some new style to the Windsors' austere fashion trends.

Emily said:
I can't recall where, but I also read the comment on Maxima calling Letizia, Metizia. Quite humorous! I have asked this before but does anyone know if the CP's (although I realize all of them don't use that title) ever get together unofficially? For instance, I have wondered if there might have been a mass baby shower somewhere this past year!?

i don't know about baby showers but i do know that Letizia and Maxima have called each other and that all the other Crown Princesss keep in touch with Maxima cause she's a veteran in this and all. but as far as in literally getting together, i wouldn't know.

SpiffyBallerina said:
How is it pronounced???

exactly the way it looks. pea-tea.

when Margriet got married there were speeches by family mebers who would start with "Lieve Pietie."

beatrix also famously said in an interview once "Pietie is someone on whom you can always count."

let's not forget "Princess Pushy" the infamous nickame bestowed on Princess Michael by the oh-so creative british media.

Camilla was called "rottweiler" by Diana...

Was this true or one of the myths from the War of the Waleses?

I have read in Letizia Ortiz's blog (of course it isn't her blog, but nevermind) that:
Letizia calls her Prince Charming: "High boy:D", "Filip" or "Principazu"
Felipe calls his Princess: "Dońa", "Ortiz" or "Jefe":)

I have no idea if it's truth.

If it's Filip it would mean Phillip.

Back
Top Bottom