The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:27 PM
morhange's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, United States
Posts: 570
Royal Names

Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)
__________________

__________________
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Lovelydiana's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 108
I agree with you Morhange.
__________________

__________________
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
KikkiB's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hometown, Norway
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange
Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)
Before CP Haakon married CP Mette-Marit, my friends and I talked about how strange it would be if we got a princess called Bente (to no offence for those who have this name), which is a very common (16761 have this name) and not very unique Norwegian girls name. Thankfully, we didn't, but I guess you can't be blamed for the name your parents chose. Though, as you say, Mette-Marit is more unique, and it is only 23 women in Norway who has this exact name. Though, Mette (9881) and Marit (28526), seperately, are more common.

Statistics found at: www.ssb.no
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
When Mette-Marit married Haakon, there was talk about getting her a more regal sounding name in one editorial or something like that.

The interesting part is that when Haakon's grandmother - Crown Princess Märtha married Crown Prince Olav - there were talk about giving her a more Norwegian-sounding name and, I can't remember which, at the moment, but either Mette or Marit were one of the names suggested. It should be noted that Märtha was Swedish and married Olav less than three decades after the union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved, thus feelings in Norway might've been suspected of being a bit tense towards Swedes...

I'm personally just thrilled that Sonja's spelling her name the way she is, and not an alternate Norwegian spelling - which is actually discouraged now, but there are people who spell their name that way - Sånnja. It's the way it is pronounced, yes, but it looks awful in writing, and not very regal.

I guess it is important with the recent influx in commoner brides - to consider what you name your child You never know where they'll be in the future.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
queenofcelts's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Posts: 486
I agree with Morhange too.
If Albert will marry Charlene Wittstock, princess Charlene will sound quite regal too. Almost all crown princess have names started with M.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB
Before CP Haakon married CP Mette-Marit, my friends and I talked about how strange it would be if we got a princess called Bente (to no offence for those who have this name), which is a very common (16761 have this name) and not very unique Norwegian girls name. Thankfully, we didn't, but I guess you can't be blamed for the name your parents chose. Though, as you say, Mette-Marit is more unique, and it is only 23 women in Norway who has this exact name. Though, Mette (9881) and Marit (28526), seperately, are more common.

Statistics found at: www.ssb.no
The combination of Mette and Marit might be because of a series of books for young girls printed in the '50s and '60s - wherein the heroine was called Mette-Marit, and was a film-star and a ballerina and what-not...

The books were re-issued around the time of Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding, but I don't think they caught on very well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
KikkiB's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hometown, Norway
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
When Mette-Marit married Haakon, there was talk about getting her a more regal sounding name in one editorial or something like that.

The interesting part is that when Haakon's grandmother - Crown Princess Märtha married Crown Prince Olav - there were talk about giving her a more Norwegian-sounding name and, I can't remember which, at the moment, but either Mette or Marit were one of the names suggested. It should be noted that Märtha was Swedish and married Olav less than three decades after the union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved, thus feelings in Norway might've been suspected of being a bit tense towards Swedes...

I'm personally just thrilled that Sonja's spelling her name the way she is, and not an alternate Norwegian spelling - which is actually discouraged now, but there are people who spell their name that way - Sånnja. It's the way it is pronounced, yes, but it looks awful in writing, and not very regal.

I guess it is important with the recent influx in commoner brides - to consider what you name your child You never know where they'll be in the future.
I've also heard something about that, of Mette-Marit changing her name to something more royal (just didn't know how to put it in writing without sounding "republican" - so thank you :) ). Kind of stupid to ask someone to change their name just because it's too common, whatever that is I doubt that parents, in their wildest dreams, think of whether their children will become prince/princess when they think of names! But parents nowadays ought to, since there is a slight chance that their bundles of joys might end up at Skaugum or the Palace in 30 years time
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Shadiyah2086's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fishkill, United States
Posts: 194
If Prince Harry married Chelsy Davy (I'm praying he doesn't) would she have to change her name so that it would sound more regal cause Princess Chelsy doesn't really cut it for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Mandy's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadiyah2086
If Prince Harry married Chelsy Davy (I'm praying he doesn't) would she have to change her name so that it would sound more regal cause Princess Chelsy doesn't really cut it for me.
When and if Prince Harry marries, his wife will be known as Princess Henry of Wales unless HM the Queen gives him/them another title like she did when Sophie and Edward Wessex were married.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Mette-Marit - I found that the name Mette - is Danish and Norwegian pet form of Margaret; Marit - is Norwegian and Swedich form of Margaret. Than it's very royal name/names I think.

Sonja - German, Scandinavian, Finnish and Slovene form of Sonya [SON-ya, or SAWN-ya]- which is Russian pet form from Sophia.

Chelsy - Chelsie, Chelsey from Chelsea [CHEL-see] from the name of a district in London meaning "landing place for chalk or limestone" in Old English.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Princess Robijn's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB
I've also heard something about that, of Mette-Marit changing her name to something more royal (just didn't know how to put it in writing without sounding "republican" - so thank you :) ). Kind of stupid to ask someone to change their name just because it's too common, whatever that is I doubt that parents, in their wildest dreams, think of whether their children will become prince/princess when they think of names! But parents nowadays ought to, since there is a slight chance that their bundles of joys might end up at Skaugum or the Palace in 30 years time
Didn't Pss Laurentien of the Netherlands changed her first name.. wasn't it Petra before she married Prince Constantijn??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM
RachelD's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My Home, United States
Posts: 697
Wow. Well, how would the public take it if thier crown prince married a woman that had a fairly common name?...for example Susan, Jessica, Nadine...would they mind if the new crown princess didn't change her name? Just imagine...Princess Rachel...that doesn't sound right. Now, I know I'd be carrying the husbands name and title and it wouldn't just be Princess and then my name...but I'm just imagining.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:06 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
Didn't Pss Laurentien of the Netherlands changed her first name.. wasn't it Petra before she married Prince Constantijn??
Yes, Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:34 PM
RachelD's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My Home, United States
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Yes, Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst.
Did she legally remove her first name, or does she still have it but goes by Laurentien?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Rebafan81's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Akron, United States
Posts: 1,028
What about Princess Mary, you can't more common then that. Has there ever been any talk about her changing her name? I think with the movement of royalty into the 21st century, your name should stay as it is. Just my opinion...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Did she legally remove her first name, or does she still have it but goes by Laurentien?
We do not administrate 'calling names' in the Netherlands. My registered names are Henri Antoine Marie but I can choose out of the three or even a different name. Often the first name is the 'calling name', but not always.

Princess Laurentien by birth was registered as Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst, daughter of mr. Laurens-Jan Brinkhorst and mrs. Jantien Heringa.

Upon her marriage she wanted to be known as Princess Laurentien. Her own choice and it was a name she had all her life long.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
About Laurentien's names
"Before going to high school she decided she wanted to be called Laurentien, and so 'changed' her name." http://www.christinesroyalty.net/roy...aurentien.html

About CPss Mary's name, it's not common but popular. Mary was the name of many queens and princesses etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N/A, France
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Mette-Marit - I found that the name Mette - is Danish and Norwegian pet form of Margaret; Marit - is Norwegian and Swedich form of Margaret. Than it's very royal name/names I think.
I found that Mette was a form of Mathilde/Maud.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
RachelD's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My Home, United States
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
We do not administrate 'calling names' in the Netherlands. My registered names are Henri Antoine Marie but I can choose out of the three or even a different name. Often the first name is the 'calling name', but not always.

Princess Laurentien by birth was registered as Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst, daughter of mr. Laurens-Jan Brinkhorst and mrs. Jantien Heringa.

Upon her marriage she wanted to be known as Princess Laurentien. Her own choice and it was a name she had all her life long.
So her name is still Petra Laurentien but she just prefers to be called Laurentien...cool! My full name is Rachel Elizabeth...so if I wanted to go by Elizabeth instead of Rachel, I'd be doing the same thing that Laurentien did, right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
I found that Mette was a form of Mathilde/Maud.
I check few sources Marit Mette came from Margareta, Margrethe, Margit, Margta, Margarthe. But I found that Mette came from as Low German form of Mathildis too.
http://www.20000-names.com/female_m_names_4.htm
http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...eden/Greek.htm
http://www.behindthename.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
So her name is still Petra Laurentien but she just prefers to be called Laurentien...cool! My full name is Rachel Elizabeth...so if I wanted to go by Elizabeth instead of Rachel, I'd be doing the same thing that Laurentien did, right?
But is it legal in USA, to go by this name just becouse instead of the other or maybe you should register that?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introduction thread RaniaRocks Member Introductions and Updates 19 07-04-2008 11:02 PM
Royalty of Brunei: News & Photos 2: February-April 2005 Mandy Royal Family of Brunei 184 04-27-2005 12:20 AM
What Is The Point Of The Gr Family? sky The Royal Family of Greece 82 10-21-2004 01:26 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]