Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norwegianne said:
Not to mention that one wearer met with a fairly gruesome demise.
Don't you mean Marie-Antoinette who was the Princess of austria her mother was Empress Maria-theresa Of austria . And Marie-Antoinette became queen of France at the age of 17.

But she WAS talking about the name Marie Antoinette (Maria Antonia), not the name Maria Theresa.

I know that she was talking about Marie-Antoinette I just had to point out that her mother was named Maria -Theresa by the way I was not responsing to you.

Next Star said:
I know that she was talking about Marie-Antoinette I just had to point out that her mother was named Maria -Theresa by the way I was not responsing to you.
I'm well-aware of who Marie-Antoinette's mother was, thank you. And I thought it was implied in my reply that I was talking about the same name as you. Evidently not.

I was saying who her mother was because like I said before there are other royal woman who also bear the name Maria-Antoinette. So one would get confused beening there are a few other royals with the same name.

By the way, Marie-Antoinette's official name was Maria Antonia (her full name was Marie Antonia Josepha Johanna).

When Prince Carl of Denmark was chosen to be King of Norway, I like the fact that he chose Haakon as his new name and that his son, Prince Alexander, was given the name of Olav.

Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine (1872-1918) had the first name of her mother Princess Alice. If Alix had not married Tsar Nicholas II and had married another foreign royal, do you think she would have kept her first name of Alix?

Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine (1872-1918) had the first name of her mother Princess Alice. If Alix had not married Tsar Nicholas II and had married another foreign royal, do you think she would have kept her first name of Alix?

For sure. Foreign born royals marrying into the Russian Imperial Family traditionally change their name before they get accepted in the Russian Orthodox Church. If by chance, she married another dynast from another royal family, she could have kept her name.

For sure. Foreign born royals marrying into the Russian Imperial Family traditionally change their name before they get accepted in the Russian Orthodox Church. If by chance, she married another dynast from another royal family, she could have kept her name.
I guess that hat would depend on the country. In Sweden the Bernadottes, in their attempts to seem more Swedish, had a tradition of adapting the names of royal brides. Examples of this are Désirée --> Desideria, Joséphine --> Josefina, Louise --> Lovisa, Sibylle --> Sibylla.
The Swedish Princess Lovisa on the other hand had her name changed to Louise when she married the future King Frederik VIII of Denmark.
Princess Jelena of Montenegro became Elena when she married Victor Emmanuel III of Italy.

I guess that hat would depend on the country. In Sweden the Bernadottes, in their attempts to seem more Swedish, had a tradition of adapting the names of royal brides. Examples of this are Désirée --> Desideria, Joséphine --> Josefina, Louise --> Lovisa, Sibylle --> Sibylla.
The Swedish Princess Lovisa on the other hand had her name changed to Louise when she married the future King Frederik VIII of Denmark.
Princess Jelena of Montenegro became Elena when she married Victor Emmanuel III of Italy.

All you have mentioned are facts. But the question was specifically about the name 'Alix.'

If Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine married a dynast from Sweden or Italy as you mentioned, what do you think would have been her name?

To add, Louise Mountbatten didn't change her name to Lovisa nor Marie José of Belgium when she married Umberto II.

Last edited:
All you have mentioned are facts. But the question was specifically about the name 'Alix.'

If Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine married a dynast from Sweden or Italy as you mentioned, what do you think would have been her name?

To add, Louise Mountbatten didn't change her name to Lovisa nor Marie José of Belgium when she married Umberto II.

If she married into Italy, I should say she might have changed her german Sounding name to Alicia. I think Alix would have been fine as a name if she had married a Swedish Royal

Yes, Louise didn't change her name no, but her step-daughter-in-law had her name tweeked as did her husband's first wife. I think the reason for her name not being changed was that by the time of her marriage her name had become a common name while Lovisa was seen as old fashioned.
I think that Alix would have changed her name to Alice which was quite a fashionable name in Sweden in the late 1800s.

If Princess Alix had married a Danish Royal, what is the Danish equivalent of Alice?

Queen Victoria's first grandson, Wilhelm II was a future heir to the German throne. The unity between the two countries, England and Germany, was embodied in his very name: "Friedrich Wilhelm" after his Prussian forebears and "Albert Victor" after his British grandparents.

Catherine de Médicis,queen and Regent of France had a an unusual middle name ,she was baptized Catherine,Maria, Romola ,di Lorenzo de Medici,Romola was the feminine form of Romulus one of the founders of Rome.

The first Romanov Tsar is Michael I who was crowned on July 22, 1613.
However, no male descendants in the Russian imperial family were named Michael until Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich, the son of Tsar Paul I of Russia, was born in 1798.

And the last one was Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich the younger brother of Tsar Nicholas who was murdered in June 1918.

Edith of Scotland was the daughter of King Malcolm III and Queen Margaret of Scotland. She married King Henry I of England. She was not known as Queen Edith of England. She changed her name to Matilda and was thus Queen Matilda.

Back
Top Bottom