The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Queen Mary's first name was Victoria, her second name Mary. She went by Mary as Queen because Queen Victoria requested no queen use that name after her [When she became Queen, that would have been her name], so she used Mary instead. May is just a nickname for Mary.

And you can't have nicknames on your social security card. Your social security card must have your LEGAL name on it. If your name is Katherine and everyone calls you Kitty, you can't put Kitty on your social security card unless you legally change your name to Kitty. When a woman marries and changes her last name, she must apply for a new social security card to reflect her new name. She can't use the card that had her maiden name on it. If you decide to legally change your first name to your middle name, you need to get a new card. Legal names are not the same as daily names. Like my friend for example; she goes by Marie, which is her middle name but on her social security card it says Elizabeth Marie because Elizabeth is her legal first name.
Thanks, Sister Morphine. I didn't quite know what was what with Queen Mary just that she was called something else prior to her being queen.

I didn't change my card until I was married for almost a year. When I filed my income taxes for that year, my maiden was on my tax return because I had not changed it to my married name.

The only way that you can have a nickname on your social security card is if that is your legal name. Your card can read BOZO THE CLOWN as long as that is your legal name. It can become your legal name via name affadavits.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Queen Mary was referred to as Princess May of Teck before she married.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I think I've read that too. Plus the fact that she wasn't allowed to call herself "Victoria".
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
The only way that you can have a nickname on your social security card is if that is your legal name. Your card can read BOZO THE CLOWN as long as that is your legal name. It can become your legal name via name affadavits.

Right, which is what I said. If you want your nickname on your social security card, you must legally change your name to that name and then reapply for a new card.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Queen Mary was referred to as Princess May of Teck before she married.

And I believe she was referred to as May even after she was Queen, by those closest to her.

I often wonder if William were to marry someone else [say he and Kate split up] and her name is Victoria, if they'd make her choose another name to reign under.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I often wonder if William were to marry someone else [say he and Kate split up] and her name is Victoria, if they'd make her choose another name to reign under.
If William were to marry Kate and she will become queen, I think Queen Kate is very odd. Does she have any name? Is Kate her nickname only?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And I believe she was referred to as May even after she was Queen, by those closest to her.

Hmmmm. King George VI's consort was Queen Elizabeth. I don't know if it was suggested that she change her name because of Elizabeth I but that was long, long before his reign. Maybe William's bride (if her name was truly Victoria) won't have to change it for just that reason, she won't be the regent. But maybe because Queen Victoria reigned for so long and just about every monarchy is related through her; a way of paying homage. Would be interesting though.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
If William were to marry Kate and she will become queen, I think Queen Kate is very odd. Does she have any name? Is Kate her nickname only?
Her real name could very well be Katherine, and Queen Katherine sounds a whole lot better than Queen Kate, doesn't it? At least I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Hmmmm. King George VI's consort was Queen Elizabeth. I don't know if it was suggested that she change her name because of Elizabeth I but that was long, long before his reign. Maybe William's bride (if her name was truly Victoria) won't have to change it for just that reason, she won't be the regent. But maybe because Queen Victoria reigned for so long and just about every monarchy is related through her; a way of paying homage. Would be interesting though.
I hope that rule doesn't exist anymore, and that a Queen Victoria would be acceptable today. Mary of Teck lived in the days of Queen Victoria, but no future Queen Victoria could have that problem.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

I have never heard of the theory that Queen Victoria wouldn't allow another Victoria to follow her as Queen (or consort).
QUite frankly I would be quite surprised about that, since almost every branch of her rather large family and those who wanted to flatter her called their children Victor/ia and Albert/a.
In fact QV once wrote a letter to princess May, saying how wonderful she found it, that they had so much in common: the birthplace, the name and the destiny. The reason for QM choosing Mary instead of Victoria however is said in many biographies to be the fact, that both Mary and her husband never liked double names and they thought the memory of QV was still too vividly alive for the country to accept another Queen Victoria.

As for modern names and prince or princess titles, I believe that you get used to the combination very quickly. Silvia doesn't automatically ring good with Queen, however, now we are used to it and it is no tongue twister anymore.
A lot of modern names can be traced back to old traditional ones or maybe there is a traditional middle name that could be used. However I presume we today would get used to amost everything.
Anyway, it is a good lesson for all who intend to call their children "The audience is listening" "jet" " Joe Louis Arena" or "Boo Peep"
Just keep in mind, that your child (if not Prince or Princess) might want to become something serious.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

I think "Queen Silvia" sounds good. Much better than "Queen Kate" would anyway. But that might be because she's the queen here in Sweden for as long as I have lived, so I'm used to it. But really, I think "Silvia" is a nice queen's name.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

well, as Kate´s name in original form is probably Catherine, so it is likely that it will become Princess Catherine, which sounds rather regal (the spouse of Charles II and several of Henri VIII were Catherine´s). The thought of a princess Chelsey however gives me shivers.
Queen Sonja sounds a bit weird to, as does Queen Sylvia to me, but after a while you get used to it.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Marengo, Catherine does have a regal ring to it.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fee
I have never heard of the theory that Queen Victoria wouldn't allow another Victoria to follow her as Queen (or consort).
QUite frankly I would be quite surprised about that, since almost every branch of her rather large family and those who wanted to flatter her called their children Victor/ia and Albert/a.
Didn't Queen Victoria request (or strongly suggest) that all of her grandchildren (& future generations) have either Victoria or Albert as one of their names? I could have sworn I read that or heard that somewhere. Thats why so many of the children had Victoria or Albert in their list of names.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
Kate's name is Catherine Elizabeth, Kate is simply her nickname. So, if they do marry, she would be Princess/Queen Catherine, which I think is very regal
Old 09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree.....Catherine is a very regal-sounding name.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Courtier

Here is a regal name that has been used by five different female royals Maria-Antionette. I like that name but it has been used too much.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 09-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really like the name Olympia, like Queen Olympia of Greece. It sounds regal as well. She was the mother of Alexander the Great if I'm not mistaken
Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
Kate's name is Catherine Elizabeth, Kate is simply her nickname. So, if they do marry, she would be Princess/Queen Catherine, which I think is very regal
Goody goody! Queen Catherine sounds good! But if guess, if she and William got married, people would also continue to call her "Kate", maybe not "Queen Kate" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
I really like the name Olympia, like Queen Olympia of Greece. It sounds regal as well. She was the mother of Alexander the Great if I'm not mistaken
You're almost right, I think. Alexander the Great's mother was Queen Olympias, not Queen Olympia, right? Well, one of us is only one letter off.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
Here is a regal name that has been used by five different female royals Maria-Antionette. I like that name but it has been used too much.
Not to mention that one wearer met with a fairly gruesome demise.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
You're almost right, I think. Alexander the Great's mother was Queen Olympias, not Queen Olympia, right? Well, one of us is only one letter off.
Furienna, you are right, I just checked it out.