The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
But is it legal in USA, to go by this name just becouse instead of the other or maybe you should register that?
Legally you'll still be known by your first name, but you can go by (with friends, family, the web, etc). your middle name or a nickname.
For example, my aunt's name is Mary Lynne, but she goes by Lynne. I hope I answered your question.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
So her name is still Petra Laurentien but she just prefers to be called Laurentien...cool! My full name is Rachel Elizabeth...so if I wanted to go by Elizabeth instead of Rachel, I'd be doing the same thing that Laurentien did, right?
That is right. But if you want to be 'Lisette'. It is okay too.

Prince Johan Friso became 'Prince Friso'.

The eldest daughter of Prince Friso is Emma Luana Ninette Sophie countess van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. She is (now) known by her second name. She can made known later that she wants to be called Countess Emma, Countess Sophie or Countess Ninette. It all are her legal names.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Well, yes, when you say it, some name don't seem to go with those royal titles. But the worst scenario, that I've read in this thread, has to be "Princess Chelsy". It just won't sound good.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Well, yes, when you say it, some name don't seem to go with those royal titles. But the worst scenario, that I've read in this thread, has to be "Princess Chelsy". It just won't sound good.
I don't know....it has a little ring to it- it could be worse .

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

My best friend's name is Elizabeth Marie, but she goes by Marie. When she was in elementary school, there were 5 other Elizabeths, so she went by her middle name to differentiate. It just stuck, although she said she's not going to legally change it to Marie.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
What about Queen Paola of Belgium? Is Paola her first name?

In the US, whatever name is on your Social Securtiy Card is your legal name. There are a lot of men named William but go by the derivative of Bill, or Henry goes by Harry, etc. But whatever name is on the card is their "legal"name.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry

In the US, whatever name is on your Social Securtiy Card is your legal name. There are a lot of men named William but go by the derivative of Bill, or Henry goes by Harry, etc. But whatever name is on the card is their "legal"name.
According to the following Wikipedia article, your legal name is what appears on your birth certificate or marriage license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_name

"You are a pest, by the very nature of that camera in your hand."
Princess Anne to a photographer
Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanE
According to the following Wikipedia article, your legal name is what appears on your birth certificate or marriage license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_name

And your legal name is on your social security card as well. That's why it's used as a valid form of identification, especially when you're getting a passport or driver's license. When a woman marries and she changes her name, she has to file a request to have a new one sent to her with the new name on it. My mom had to when she got married.

You can't have a social security card with nicknames or other names on it. It must be the name you were given at birth UNTIL you legally change it, which will give you a new legal name to put on a new card.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Royal Highness

Queen Paola and Queen Fabiola

Quote:
Donna Paola Margherita Giuseppina Maria Antonia Consiglia dei Principi Ruffo di Calabria.

(daughter of the 6th Duke of Guardia Lombarda and Donna Luisa Gazelli di Rossana e di Sebastiano)

Doa Fabiola Fernanda Mara de las Victorias Antonia Adelaida de Mora y Aragn

(daughter of the Marquess de Casa Riera, Count of Mora and Doa Blanca de Aragn y Carrillo de Albornoz Barroeta-Aldamar y Elio)
Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Courtier

Royal ladies have very long names...I kinda like it but I don't think its very appropriate if your not royal.. usually commoners have 3 names.. It must be very good if your a royal mum and you can have your baby with names of monarchs at least 5 names... I've got a question, does Leonor just leonor? I mean almost all royal babies have long names..I don't recall our baby Leonor being called by another name or perhaps an extension to her name well except for Infanta which is not a name.. Does anyone know the complete name of Leonor?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Royal Highness

Doa Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbn y Ortiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
Does anyone know the complete name of Leonor?
She is called:
Su Alteza Real Doa Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbn y Ortiz, Infanta de Espaa.

(Translated:
Her Royal Highness Lady Leonor of all the Saints of Bourbon and Ortiz, Infant of Spain.)
Old 09-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81
What about Princess Mary, you can't more common then that. Has there ever been any talk about her changing her name? I think with the movement of royalty into the 21st century, your name should stay as it is. Just my opinion...
Well, her father in law went from Henri to Henrik, but Denmark has become much more international since then. And as was mentioned, Mary is among the "royal" names, if not in Denmark then at least in the UK
Old 09-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
She is called:
Su Alteza Real Doa Leonor de Todos los Santos de Borbn y Ortiz, Infanta de Espaa.

(Translated:
Her Royal Highness Lady Leonor of all the Saints of Bourbon and Ortiz, Infant of Spain.)
Just to satisfy my curiosity.. why is she called a LADY instead of Princess? she's called Infanta because she's thedaughter of the heir to the throne. like her aunts, they are Infantas bec they are daughters of the current king of Spain. sorry for my ignorance, it's just that Spain is so complicated...and i really like their RF..
Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
Just to satisfy my curiosity.. why is she called a LADY instead of Princess? she's called Infanta because she's thedaughter of the heir to the throne. like her aunts, they are Infantas bec they are daughters of the current king of Spain. sorry for my ignorance, it's just that Spain is so complicated...and i really like their RF..

If she was a lady, her title would be Infanta Doa Leonor, as Doa means "Lady". However, this is not her title. Her official title is HRH Infanta Leonor of Spain, so yes she is a Princess. I was looking at the Royal Family's official website, and I notice that Letizia has Doa preceding her name, so I am assuming that in this case, it is merely an honorific and not her actual title.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Royal Highness

Infant / Infanta

Infant and Infanta are the male anf female form of 'Child'. 'Infanta de Espaa' litterally means: 'Child of Spain'.

In France they also say 'Fils de France' (Son of France).

In the Netherlands Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange (later King of England) was called 'Kind van Staat' (Infant of State) because his father Willem II of Nassau died shortly before his birth and he was raised under custody of the Lords States-General (the present Dutch parliament).

So
Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange
Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)
I separate the cases
Mary is very very commun, nothing special, the person looks regal to me, but her name not especially.
Mathilde, belongs to a very high aristocratic family, from both sides, her mother is a polish countess, so these families give very regal historical names to their girls, even if she had not married Prince Philip, she would have sound regal.
Maria Teresa, YES it souns very regal
All other, is nothing for me, you have a lot of Sophies, of Leticias, I even now some Maximus & Maximas.
About Mette Maritt, it does not sound very high to me, but I think you have to speak Norwegian to really feel it.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
I separate the cases
Mary is very very commun, nothing special, the person looks regal to me, but her name not especially.
This very special name is at once very common and in the same time very regal. Lot of queens and princesses have been named Mary/Marie/Maria...

Quote:
Mathilde, belongs to a very high aristocratic family, from both sides, her mother is a polish countess, so these families give very regal historical names to their girls, even if she had not married Prince Philip, she would have sound regal.
Mathilde is, you're right, a regal name, that several queens had.

Quote:
Maria Teresa, YES it souns very regal
All other, is nothing for me, you have a lot of Sophies, of Leticias, I even now some Maximus & Maximas.
About Mette Maritt, it does not sound very high to me, but I think you have to speak Norwegian to really feel it.
I agree with Maria Teresa: it's a very regal name, and we can only think to empress Maria Teresa of Austria.
Maxima is great but not regal to me, Sophie is ok, so is Letizia. As for Mette-Marit, I don't know what to think.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's a difference between your "daily" name, or what people call you on a day to day basis and your "legal" name, which is what you were registered with. My legal name on my birth certificate is Beth Ann *last name*, and I could use either as my "daily" name, but only Beth is my legal first name, as Ann is my middle name. I cannot use Ann as my legal name unless I have my name legally changed to Ann.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Usually, if a person is known by a nickname or derivative it can be their legal name as long as it is on their Social Security Card. There are affidavits just for that cause which I belive have to filed in a court.

Didn't Queen Mary go by the name of Princess May and then Princess Mary once she married? I think so but I'm sure someone could set the record straight for me.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Usually, if a person is known by a nickname or derivative it can be their legal name as long as it is on their Social Security Card. Their are affidavits just for that cause which I belive have to filed in a court.

Didn't Queen Mary go by the name of Princess May and then Princess Mary once she married? I think so but I'm sure someone could set the record straight for me.

Queen Mary's first name was Victoria, her second name Mary. She went by Mary as Queen because Queen Victoria requested no queen use that name after her [When she became Queen, that would have been her name], so she used Mary instead. May is just a nickname for Mary.

And you can't have nicknames on your social security card. Your social security card must have your LEGAL name on it. If your name is Katherine and everyone calls you Kitty, you can't put Kitty on your social security card unless you legally change your name to Kitty. When a woman marries and changes her last name, she must apply for a new social security card to reflect her new name. She can't use the card that had her maiden name on it. If you decide to legally change your first name to your middle name, you need to get a new card. Legal names are not the same as daily names. Like my friend for example; she goes by Marie, which is her middle name but on her social security card it says Elizabeth Marie because Elizabeth is her legal first name.