Which Royal Life Would You Like Turned Into A Movie?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For living royals, I'd like to see a film about:

1. Mette- Marit and Haakon
2. Princess Caroline of Monaco
3. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

For deceased royals, I'd like to see a film about:

1. Mary I of England
2. Princess Victoria of Saxe- Coburg Saalfeld
3. George VI and The Queen Mother's engagement and wedding

I think Haakon and Mette-Marit's story is so interesting and lovely. I'd totally go see a film about their love story.

I would love to see a movie about the courageous efforts of King Olav and King Haakon during WWII.

I would love one about he Faberge Sisters...
Dagmar, Alexandra and Thyra of Denmark
Maria Carolina of Naples
Helen of Greece and Denmark
Queen Sofia of Spain
Queen Ena of Spain

in the past : sultan mehmed (emperorer of constantinopolis) and Suleiman the great both ottoman sultans
farah dibas live is very interesting too or queen victoria :)
From today i think queen sophia

For Queen Victoria we have The Young Victoria (I really liked it, but it was about Victoria's childhood until Coronation, so a sequel needs to be made about her life as Queen).

I would definately want a Queen Willhelmina live adaptation, her history fascinates me, all the process about how she became Queen, her marriage life, her dificulties with pregnancy, her hardships through the World Wars and her love and strong duty for her country. Lots happened to her on her lifetime.

For Queen Victoria we have The Young Victoria (I really liked it, but it was about Victoria's childhood until Coronation, so a sequel needs to be made about her life as Queen).

There's Victoria the Great and Sixty Glorious Years, where Victoria is portrayed by Anna Neagle, Mrs. Brown, where she's played by Judi Dench.

There's Victoria the Great and Sixty Glorious Years, where Victoria is portrayed by Anna Neagle, Mrs. Brown, where she's played by Judi Dench.

And "Victoria and Albert" where the main protagonists are played by Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth (brother of Colin Firth)

I saw the film and it was lovely!:hug:

From what I've read here, King Michael of Romania had a MOST eventful life, at least up until his abdication. He was a real force, and "player" as they say. His story would be interesting on film, especially filmed in the exotic landscape of Romania, in the royal buildings there, and other unique structures, which Prince Charles loves. Charles owns a wee cottage there, so he can visit at ease. He loves it that much. So I read anyway, with a picture of his cottage. (it's really small enough to be called a cottage.)

Last edited:
I would like to see filmed:

Life of Elena, Queen of Italy and Albania and Empress of Etiopia;

Life of Giovanna, last Tsaritsa of Bulgaria;

Life of Astrid, Queen of Belgium;

Life of King Umberto II and Queen Marie José of Italy;

Rita Hayworth and Prince Aly Khan' lovestory, it's like a real Cinderella story;

A decent movie or miniseries about Queen Marie-Antoinette of France and Catherine the Great.

I'll be fair and say that I quite dislike films about royals because even if they try to be truthful most of the producers/ directors can't help themselves introducing gossip or invented scenes... Documentaries are the best IMO

I would like to see a film of Princess Charlotte of Wales and her spouse, Prince Leopold.

'The Heroine of Gaeta - Maria Sofia, Queen of the Two Siclies'. There was some old Italian one about her husband, but her life has everything for a great movie.

Seems like the only movies being made about royalty (at least in the US) are about British royals. Think it would be interesting if a movie was made about Prince Daniel and CP Victoria, how they met, etc.

I'd like to see a movie on George V and Queen Mary.

I would like to see a movie on the ruling family of Dubai. Haya and Mohammed just so I could know whats going on with that monarch behind closed doors lol.

I also want a movie or book on the relationship of Victoria and Daniel from start to now.
I want a book on Queen Silvia to learn how she endured becoming Queen of Sweden, im sure there are some in Sweden but I'm not there.
Would like to learn more about Leichenstein (sp) the people and the royal family.

Last edited:
In the future I'd like to see a book or movie of P.Charlene and the Grimaldi family "The true story" ;) And i undecisive whether it would be a sweet Hallmark or Disney movie or an episode of Feud :lol:

In the distant future though...

Are you talking about living royals, or royals of the past ? If you go back in history, there are so many interesting royal lives that it is difficult to pick one in particular.

Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth I seem to be the two historic royals who have been featured the most in movies and TV series in the English-speaking world. For some reason, however, there has been a surge in interest recently in the 16th century (and late 15th century) and we got lots of TV series and movies (in English and other languages) focusing on characters of that period like: Henry VIII; the Catholic Kings of Spain (Ferdinand and Isabella) and their successors (Charles I / Charles V and Phillip I); Catherine de Médicis and her children (Francis II, Charles IX, etc.); Mary, Queen of Scots, and so on so forth. The Bourbon kings of France (Louis XIII, Louis XIV, Louis XVI and, to a lesser extent, Louis XV) also get a lot of airtime and, in the process, we sometimes also see the Stuart kings of England, or William III of Orange for example.

Personally, I would like to see a movie (in English) about Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, later King Karl XIV Johan of Sweden. I am also interested in the life of Isabella II of Spain (she appeared briefly as a child in Spielberg's Amistad, but the movie was not about her).

Last edited:
I think the life of Catherine de Médicis is very deserving of a movie ,her husband & children with the exception of Margot are all but largely figures.

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici: Book Trailer

Personally, I would like to see a movie (in English) about Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, later King Karl XIV Johan of Sweden.

There was DESIREE, starring Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons.
Michael Rennie played Bernadotte.

(I'd like to see one about Catherine Medici that didn't portray her as an evil poisoner). ;)

I also think Pedro II of Brazil definitely deserves a movie that is accessible to an international audience. His biography(in Portuguese), As Barbas do Imperador, by the Jewish-Brazilian historian and anthropologist Lilia Moritz Schwarcz is very interesting, especially considering that the author is left-wing and not a monarchist as far as I know.

From our kings: John III Sobieski:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_III_Sobieski

From other kings: Charles XIV John of Sweden.

And there is one famous monarch whose life (public and private) was full of torments, intrigues, cruelty...although he was also highly intelligent and introduced many reforms.

His life deserves a sort of "The Tudors" series (but would have been even much more "bloody"

Will you guess who I mean?

Ivan the Terrible!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_the_Terrible

Movies from real history

I would like a movie of Queen Sophia and King Gustov. Their lives are remarkable. I would also like to see King Maximilian of MEXICO and Queen Beatrix. Their lives are in ways similar to the last monarchs of Greece as the politics changed. I think it is important to see that monarchs lives were often ruled by the people and whole countries economies crumbled because of political unrest and lack of good security. Without security and police anarchy happens. In this ever connected world civil disobedience, unrest and personal safety must be of primary importance. Finally I would love to see more about a Katherine of Man.

I would like to see a modern film on King John (or John Lackland). I focused my own personal studies from 1200 - 1220 and he was involved with Llywelyn the Great of Wales. There is a debate among scholars as to his performance as king, and therefore he becomes much more interesting to me.

King Baudouin and his queen, Fabiola.

Their true story from beginning to end.?

I'd like to see a film made on the life of the Russian Tsar Alexander II, 'the Liberator'. His life, both private and public, was full of fascinating incidents, including his freeing of the serfs, the romances with his wives, both legitimate and morganatic and his terrible assassination by terrorist bomb.

Last edited:
William IV of the United Kingdom, electress sophia of hanover, crown princess margareta of sweden, princess sibylla of sweden. Princess Alice of Battenberg, robert the bruce, Princess Mary the princess royal, Prince William of Gloucester.

Back
Top Bottom