Royal Food

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Madeleine of Sweden avoids eating red meat. According to the dessert cook at the Nobel dinner this year crown princess Victoria is lactose intolerant.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden avoids eating red meat. According to the dessert cook at the Nobel dinner this year crown princess Victoria is lactose intolerant.

The first is not surpising given that she is pregnant. Being lactose intolerant must be annoying when dealing with future banquets etc.

Dutch food? I don't know if there is something typical about Dutch food. I would say that typical Dutch is just vegetables, meat and potatoes. Or the three of them mixed up in a yucky looking (but in my opinion delicious) 'stamppot'.

Garnaaltjes & Zeeuwse mosselen (mussels) ! And of course, the pindakaas everywhere ;)

Hagelslag and stroopwafels.

I thought it would be interesting to discuss what the Royals like eating. For example, Princess Anne hardly eats a thing and says that meal-times take up valuable time elsewhere. Queen Elizabeth II hates chocolate but the Duke of Gloucester is a chocoholic.

I'd love to know your source for this, it is an extremely well known fact that HM The Queen is a huge fan of chocolate - afternoon tea always includes a freshly baked chocolate cake! Also chocolate eclair are regulars on the royal menu.

I sometimes take a look at the Danish Monarchy website (Kongehuset) and they often publish details of the menu served at state banquets etc. Presumably the Queen will have helped choose and decide upon the menus, and it must contain food that she will enjoy as much as her visitors!

Here is a list of the food served at a concert supper for Prince Henrik's 80th birthday: -

Fanø salmon, horseradish crème, capers and dill
Mini meatballs with Skagen ham and smoked potato crème
Strawberry, almond and chocolate tart

Foie Gras terrine, sauternes gelé, hazelnut and chervil
Puy lentils, asparagus and brunoise herbs
Boeuf bourguignon, duchesse and pearl onions
Crème brûlée with raspberries

Spring rolls with ginger fish sauce and dua món
Filet of veal, teriyaki and coriander emulsion
Asian noodle salad with julienne herbs, kimchi and pork
Exotic fruit, roasted coconut flakes and mint

And for the Turkish State Visit, the banquet had the following menu: -

Terrine of North Sea fish with pumpkin and fennel flan

Fillet of beef with carrot and potato cake
champignons á la creme

Baked Reblochon cheese

Pavlova with pear and pomegranate

Last edited:
I did read somewhere, but I'm not sure where it was, that King Albert was very found of soup and pasta.
Also, Princess Astrid's favorite dessert would be a "Foret Noire". She celebrated her 50th birthday with a big foret noire, and they said it is her favorite dessert. But of course, it could have been just a random comment. ;)

(This thread makes me veryyyy hungry :p )

I was only aware of the chocolate biscuit cake since that was prepared as an addition cake at his wedding!

The recipe for the chocolate biscuit cake was published shortly after the Royal wedding. I think many people were curious about it after reading that William asked for it to be served with the traditional wedding cake. OMG I could not believe how incredibly delicious, not to mention fattening..it sounded:p!

I've also read for years that QEII is a major chocoholic, as was the late Queen Fabiola.

Last edited:
The first is not surpising given that she is pregnant.
As the comment about Madeleine was made at the time of her wedding (it was said that there was no dishes with red meat to be served at the wedding festivities because of the wishes of the bride) it doesn't depend on her being pregnant or not.

Sorry, I didn't see the date. :)

King Adolf Fredrik of Sweden is said to have loved the dessert semla, and it was a part of his last meal. If he managed to eat 14 of them after a heavy dinner, it's not so surprising it was the last one:
The king died on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, kippers and champagne, which was topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: semla served in a bowl of hot milk.[2]
From Wikipedia.

Sweden:
Gustaf Adolfsbakelse, Gustavus Adolphus pastry , traditionally eaten on November 6th, the death day of Gustav II Adolf of Sweden
Prinsesstårta, princess cake , said to have been a favourite of the daughers (Margaretha, Märtha and Astrid) of prince Carl of Sweden

Finland:
Alexanterinleivos, Alexander pastry , named after the Russian tsar Alexander I, made to commemorate his visit to Helsinki in 1818.

I heard Princess Anne would rather cook the meal herself than have someone else do it for her.

lol. She's got some little legs on her. She's pretty fit. She's had children and her middle is no worse the wear for it, she kind of has a pear shape, but it doesn't look bad. I do wonder what she eats, she is possibly vegan or vegetarian with a taste for the pasta. She had that girl next door look, everyone's best friend look to her when she was younger, real sporty, smart looking. Looking at her now, her personality seems real fitting for a royal. She is old enough to be slim like she is and it doesn't look disorderly. Oh lol, this is just great. Britain's Princess Anne On Eating Horse Meat: 'I Think It Needs A Debate' and

A Response to Princess Anne - You Can't Help Horses by Eating Them | Mimi Bekhechi

Horse meat. French attitude towards horse meat is foreign to me.

People Are Lining Up To Buy Horse Meat In France - Business Insider

Perhaps, her diet is an ecological friendly balance of the normal life cycle with a dash of seasoning and a side of meal worms with crickets on the side to accompany a spot of nag. Or not.

Also, Princess Anne doesn't drink and hates celery. She also doesn't eat anything too rich in flavour. I read in a book about her that one time she had a sip of something (I forget what, some kind of spirit), and immediately blew into a breathalyzer, sending the meter soaring. She then pretended to be drunk and collapsed into a chair. A few minutes later she took it again and it was almost nullified.

lol. Now I read about Elizabeth's left hook and Margret's being known for her bite and the intellectual curiosity between the two as children. With Margret's history with alcohol, abruptly quitting smoking, being agreeable with a sharp tongue liking to play the piano it is no wonder Princess Anne is really insistent about family boundaries.

I can understand being annoyed by alcoholics and just wanting them to hush, quit drinking and remember how horrid cigarettes smelled and how much wanting them to quit smoking impacted me. The thing is I also know how easy it is to light a smoke and take a drink to try and bond with a parental figure that was just so withdrawn as an adult to try and ease their depression about the things they may of done that upset me as a child, like drinking and smoking, too. I personally do not drink alcohol, either.

Princess Anne had to take on more duties when Margret had to have some time to rest in 1985. It is easy to see why those boundaries about family and public are so strong with her, she grew up in a time where alcohol was a significant impact in her part of her family and so was smoking. She knows first hand what happens medically to someone when someone smokes and drinks.

But that one time drinking and taking a breathalyzer could of been enough to create an addiction, apparently according to the book, I haven't read, she didn't. She is either geriatric or close to being and alcohol is bad for people over a certain age. Newer health story about it. Alcohol Consumption Linked to Heart Damage in Elderly Heart damage can result.

So celery, is it, how about that, she doesn't like celery. lol.

Last edited:
Now it starts by talking about Prince Charles and his eggs in this one bit I am reading.

Really when it comes down to what Royals eat, it's all about longevity, especially when associating England Royals, I am only curious about what they eat because they do age gracefully and really do seem to be the epitome of health.

Sure we read about how the Royals feel about their food, but really it is about health with them, look how healthy they are. There was a story about how the officers in one of the palaces were eating up the Queen's snack bowl hors d' oeuvre, lol, why do you think that is? Nutrition. Plain and simple. Look how big boned literally big boned the men are and tall in the Royal Family. They didn't just get that way eating salad. Look how strong the women of the family are. They don't stay that way just eating beans and rice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foods_named_after_people

specifically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillet_of_Beef_Prince_Albert
Fillet of Beef Prince AlbertQueen Victoria's Consort Prince Albert (1819–1861). Also named for him: an English white sauce, the pea and apple varieties, Coburg Soup (brussels sprouts and smoked bacon) and probably Albert Pudding.

another one: Christian IX cheese – honoring King Christian IX of Denmark (1818–1906), this is a caraway-seeded semi-firm Danish cheese.

Neither of which I can say I have tried.

lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie biscuits were named after the Grand Duchess Marie of Russia, the wife of Prince Alfred, Queen Victoria's son.

Both Prince William and Prince Henry have cooked for others while they were in Africa during their gap year.

Queen Mother's Cake – in the 1950s, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1901–2002) was served this flourless chocolate cake by her friend Jan Smeterlin (1892–1967), well-known Polish pianist. Smeterlin had acquired the recipe in Austria, and the Queen Mother's fondness for the cake produced its name, via either Smeterlin, food writer Clementine Paddleford or dessert maven Maida Heatter.

Prince William Cider Apple – Created to celebrate the 21st birthday of Prince William. It was named the "Prince William" after he said in an interview that he was a cider drinker. Large, robust yet mild in nature with a red flush and will make a cider of fair complexion, well balanced with much character. The "Prince William" will be the first of more than 360 varieties of traditional English cider apples grown over the centuries to be given a royal name.

• Crepes Suzette – said to have been created for then-Prince of Wales Edward VII on 31 January 1896, at the Café de Paris in Monte Carlo. When the prince ordered a special dessert for himself and a young female companion, Henri Charpentier, then 16 (1880–1961), produced the flaming crepe dish. Edward reportedly asked that the dessert be named after his companion (Suzette) rather than himself. However, Larousse disputes Charpentier's claim.
I can't find any recipes on Prince Henry. So Prince William drinks cider, that is an alcoholic beverage.

How does that old historical saying go? Was it, let them eat cake? http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

Last edited:
Princess Diana of Great Britain liked tomato mousse.

Black Pudding was a dish sometimes served at feasts of King Henry VIII of England. Black Pudding is a sausage made by a length of pig's intestine with the pig's boiled, congealed blood.

Kaiser rolls were made by a Viennese baker in about 1487 for Emperor Frederick V, whose profile was stamped on top.

King Louis XIV of France could eat a whole pheasant, a partridge, a large plate of salad, two slices of ham, and a plate of pastry.

:previous: His great-grandson Louis XVI was said to have been an even bigger glutton.:sick:

does any one knows the favourite food of princess charlotte of cambridge?

Back
Top Bottom