Royal Commemoratives, Collectables and Memorabilia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering if anyone else Stateside has a bit of a fetish for 'tourist tat,' as my friend H from London refers to them. ;) My own collection includes a few items from the QE coronation in the '50s (including a marvelous Hattie Carnegie pin), a couple of ceramic boxes and the like. Was only able to afford a small pillbox from BP when we visited September '09 due to the horrific exchange rate. I did also spring for a faux sapphire around the time of the William/Kate madness.

Anyone else have an assortment of goods you'd like to describe?

For the most part, all I have is a somewhat meager collection of books on the various members of the BRF. I did buy one of the Stuart crystal memorial candles after Diana died but ended up sending it to a friend in Australia who admired Diana immensely.

If there was an item I could turn back the clock and buy, it was a coffee mug that was minted for William and Kate's wedding. What makes it such a collectible today is that they goofed and instead of William, it was Harry pictured on the mug. :ohmy:

If there was an item I could turn back the clock and buy, it was a coffee mug that was minted for William and Kate's wedding. What makes it such a collectible today is that they goofed and instead of William, it was Harry pictured on the mug. :ohmy:

LOL I remember that one. I think it was made in China. I wonder if anyone sent one to Catherine & William as a joke gift.

Just wondering if anyone else Stateside has a bit of a fetish for 'tourist tat,' as my friend H from London refers to them. ;) My own collection includes a few items from the QE coronation in the '50s (including a marvelous Hattie Carnegie pin), a couple of ceramic boxes and the like. Was only able to afford a small pillbox from BP when we visited September '09 due to the horrific exchange rate. I did also spring for a faux sapphire around the time of the William/Kate madness.

Anyone else have an assortment of goods you'd like to describe?

I don't have any goods but once I visit London, I will make sure to take enough pictures of the crowns and make a better replica than this one:
Sotheby's London to sell replicas of some of the Crown Jewels in its Jewels Sale

interesting coronation find

Ok, I came across this documentation from the queens coronation, I have been trying to find anything like it on the internet but am struggling does anyone know whether this sort of thing has any interest

Attachments

• DSC09760.jpg
    DSC09760.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC09765.jpg
    DSC09765.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC09766.jpg
    DSC09766.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC09772.jpg
    DSC09772.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 305
How lovely!

Thanks drown1989 for posting this - it is very interesting to see this because it goes to show how much detail went into the arrangements and requirements for the Coronation.
These booklets must have been made available to a wide variety of people who would have needed guidance or advice on what to wear - from the peerage to the tailors and dressmakers.
The first picture shows the image of a properly dresses countess or baroness. The next picture shows images of alternative dress in case they did not already have the proper robes.
It makes one wonder what other regulations there were!

thanks for your replies, I am intrigued of how many have actually survived as it would be the sought of thing that would have been chucked away afterward which is more then likely why i am having so much trouble tracking another down, the blue sketch like images is actually the dress worn by Queen Elizabeth during the coronation and there is a very in depth description of the dress, i am guessing this is a seperate piece and has just been put with this for keep sakes

thanks for your replies, I am intrigued of how many have actually survived as it would be the sought of thing that would have been chucked away afterward which is more then likely why i am having so much trouble tracking another down, the blue sketch like images is actually the dress worn by Queen Elizabeth during the coronation and there is a very in depth description of the dress, i am guessing this is a seperate piece and has just been put with this for keep sakes

There may be more in existence than you might imagine, tucked away in old boxes at the back of some great mason or other. They may have been kept as souvenirs by servants or staff.
I am quite sure i have seen images of these things on the internet, as well as images of the 7 or 8 designs Normal came up with for the Coronation gown before the final one was chosen.

This link is interesting:

Peers' Robes - Ede & Ravenscroft

royalty items

I got the following royalty stuff in a job lot of other stuff and want to know if any of it is worth anything or not please. here is what I got

royalty illustrated vol 2&3
the coronation album of princess Elizabeth
21st birthday pictorial souvenir of princess Elizabeth
coronation supplement 1937
our first prince book 2 about prince Charles

If any of the antique/pawn shops in the States sold things like that, I'd be doing things like that as often as I could (though I do live in New York City, so I may be able to find something). Great finds, by the way.

Yard Sales here in Canada are rather rich in Royal related material, as it's mostly Grandma or Grandpa's stuff the Family has no interest in and is trying to unload it quickly and cheaply. Flea Markets are also good bets both here and down in the States, as I'll mention in a bit. :)

One of my favourite Yard Sale finds was a complete set of glasses made to mark The Queen's Coronation. There's either 6 or 10 in the set, but I got them all for the grand price of 10 cents each and they are in pristine condition. Right now they're still in the box they were in, wrapped in paper to protect them and up on my closet shelf ATM just due to lack of space in our China Cabinets. :D

My Parents have these people they know from NY State...Mom calls them Friends, Dad puts up w/them for Mom's sake & I wish we'd never met I don't care how much Royalty stuff they've brought me. In fact, w/the exception of Mom, they have managed to turn off and/or downright insulted just about everyone in our area/Township over the years. At least they're only up for time during the Summer, but those weeks do seem to go on forever though. Anyway...

He's an Antiques Dealer and w/the numerous, and very expensive for some "gifts" they bring us every year, for the most part mine are all Royalty related. At first it was wonderful, but now...I guess I've grown up and see all this stuff for what it is, them playing the Big Shots. Anyway...At one time, he'd bring me up books for my Royal Library. Now 10 or 20 would have been fantastic, but it was anywhere from 70 at the least to 106 during a decade's time. I used to love it, but now the amount he brings me are far more reasonable and in the number of what I'd been expecting at the beginning of my "gifts".

He also brings me other stuff such as China and other things. My most exclusive piece of China was made for an event that never happened : King Edward VIII's Coronation and was one of the things he's brought me. This year brought the following and I have never seen it before. Was wondering if anyone else has and w/out further ado....

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1440467953.032809.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1440467988.044343.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1440468017.465627.jpg

BTW...When they came in the day after arriving for the Annual Visit, and decided it was a good time to also do the "Gift giving", we were in the middle of Supper. Which just happened to be fresh Corn on the Cob. To begin w/, as he heads to a seat at our table he says in a joking tone, "Oh, is this a bad time!?!" How I managed not to say anything.... However, that got topped when they tried to hand that plate to me as I'm still working on eating the Cob I had in my hands *and* which were also dripping w/melted butter and covered in pieces of Corn Kernels. Now, you all tell me, is that or is that not a good time to be handing something like that to anyone?

Of course Mom got mad at me later for "not being nice to her friends and after all the stuff they've brought me over the years too...etc...etc...etc.." Yeah...Because handing a Wedgwood plate to anyone whose hands aren't pristinely clean is such a good idea... :mad:

As I said, I've never seen it before and just curious if anyone else had. Oh and About finding things at Flea Markets....

Two Christmases ago as I was opening up the Presents in "my bag" from my Sister and her Family, there was one from my BiL's Niece and her Husband and whom we also know well too. Wrapped in the paper was this case and when I opened it, inside were Sugar sized spoons and at the top of the handle were the date which I'm blanking ATM, in profile King George VI and Queen Elizabeth and w/the Crown on top of that.

I'd have loved to been able to see the look on my face when I opened the case. :D

What they are, are a set of spoons to mark the Tour/Visit to Canada Their Majesties made before the Second World War. Our Friends had been visiting California, were wandering around a Flea Market in a town they were in, saw these and thought of my Mom at first. She used to collect spoons, but hasn't for a long time now. After my Sister told them this, they asked if she knew anyone who'd want them and she said she had an idea of someone who would and... :D

So Flea Markets in the States, more "upscale" for lack of a better term, might be worth checking out for Royal Collectables for our US Members. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I tried editing this, but the insert picture button isn't part of it, so therefore...Apologies and if a Mod could please do a merge, thanks!!

First...A slap upside the head to me for not saying Thank You Mermaid for finding the plate over at E Bay. Could have sworn I had. :eek:

Second....I thought I'd taken pictures of those spoons and sure enough...

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1440640708.781554.jpg

As I said, I would love to have been able to have seen my face when I opened the case and saw what was inside. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Magazines and Newspapers

My Mother has collected newspapers and magazines from various significant events, over the years. There is one from 1972 and a few from the 1980s.
Covering weddings christenings births etc.
I can make a list if that helps?
The box weighs just under 5 kilos.

My mother would prefer not to throw these away, would anyone like them?

The Duke and duchess of Cambridge Prince William and Kate Middleton collection

With me being a fan of the British Royal family and me being a fan of the Duke and duchess of Cambridge Prince William and Kate Middleton I have a huge collection of magazines, tabloids, and also even a book on them. And I was wondering if anyone else is the same thing as I do? Or am I just insane?

Royal Memorabilia - help identifying please

Hi, I've just started buying abtiques/vintage items to sell and this Hankie came in an auction lot. (Was actually a surprise as wasn't photoed on the lot I bought!)

I immediately thought it's royal memorabilia, but when I looked closer, I've been a bit a bit flummoxed.

I am used to seeing ER with a II for Queen Elizabeth. Where this Hankie has just an ER. I then wondered if could be Edward, but sure he would have VII in it? Wondered if it could be for Queen Elizabeth 1st, some birth/death celebration but not sure on that.

Then there is the crown. With the lion on top. Different from what I've seen on ERII items with a crown on.

So I am wondering if any of you could help me out with any info/ideas on the item?

I have taken a photo, but can't see where I can add it? So that might be 1st place to start with advice!? Ha

Thanks

Matt

Think I may have sorted the picture of the hankie. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20160618_213618.jpg
    20160618_213618.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 161
You have the Tudor Rose, Thistle, Shamrock and Daffodil in the corners so that suggests the 4 home nations so that wouldn't be Elizabeth the First. It also seems more modern. Could be for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. She would have been ER too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It appears to me that the hankie would be rather over-elaborate for any Royal, whether Queen or otherwise, to be using in everyday life. In my view the suggestion that it's a Coronation souvenir from 1953 is probably correct.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I was presuming it was a souvenir piece rather than a used royal piece, just didn't know who since the ER through me.

But seems my 1st thought of Queen Elizabeth II was correct. Thought queen mother is an interesting point.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

I think it is much more recent than the coronation. That shade of blue I have seen on china for the golden jubilee in 2002 and some of the commemoratives for the 'longest reigning monarch' were that shade of blue and purple. I would be very surprised if it is older than 15 years.

Thanks for that. I was trying to look up the colour scheme as thought it might relate to an event but couldn't seem to find anything related.

It's in pretty good condition and don't think it's 60+ years old.

Thanks

Matt

I definitely think it's an item commemorating an event though, and I have seen pieces that hold their colour for remarkably long periods of time, even from the Regency. Could this hankie have been made for the Queen's Golden Jubilee perhaps?

If its commemorating a specific event, would not that event be mentioned on it most times? The coronation one posted earlier say what it is commemorating.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Bradford Exchange William and Kate Commemorative plaque

Here is one of the pieces that I have from my Royal wedding collection. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I'm interested in Royal memorabilia of all kinds. Unfortunately the link to view the piece doesn't seem to be working.

Royal collection

Here is a photo showing some of my royal collection. Tell me what you think.

So...My Sister always gets together w/"The Girls on the Street" for chit chat & whatever once a week & today was that day at her friend Bridget's home. I just finished spending a week & a bit w/her & my Brother in Law due to Pre Op Clinic, the actual Dental Surgery a week ago tomorrow & follow up/getting the stitches out this afternoon.

Considering I was told all my Molars had to go, I'm very grateful only six had to go. However, there were two he ended up having to take some bone, not a lot, but some to get them out. So I'm sore, but it's bearable & I've been through worse. He was very happy at how well things are healing in fact, as he was worried especially about those two spots in particular & understandably. I see him again in about a month.

Why did I share all that? Because it's the reason this post is happening. Bridget knew I needed a bit of a pick me up after this week. Even though things went so well, Surgery is Surgery after all. Which brings us to...

Bridget had these clippings of Royal stuff of her Mom's. All she wanted was them to go to a good home where someone into the Royals would truly appreciate them. Since she knew about my interest, asked my Sister if I'd want them & Judy took them.

Now she'd found some Genealogy info about my Dad s Great Great Grandfather while searching on her Dad's Family (Half Sisters. Same Mom, different Dads) had copied it for us & put it all into those plastic sleeves & then a binder. So she just took two more covers & popped a clipping into each one.

Would you like to see them!?! Thankfully, I opened it at the back so this was the first one I saw....

IMG_0002.jpg

This is the Photo Session of TRH The Duke & Duchess of Edinburgh w/their Children in the Summer of 1951 & released before their Tour of Canada.

Now even w/the tears, it's in amazing shape, but as good as it was, the other one...Oh, the other one...

IMG_0003.jpg

Yes, you are seeing right. That, my fellow Royal Forums Members, is what is left of The Daily Mail's Front Page coverage of The Wedding of HRH The Duke of Windsor to Mrs. Wallis Simpson & when I saw that after unfolding it? I let out such a loud gasp, that on seeing my face, Dad thought I was having an attack of some sort...LOL!! Sadly as you can see, only the picture was wanted & oh, what a shame, but at least this much survived the years.

I still can not believe it & in a bit of a state of shock over it, but also needed to share it w/others who would understand. I also hope you now get the big build up I put you all through, but talk about a Get Well Gift, huh!?!

Back
Top Bottom