The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

Royal cats (and other pets)

While there are lots of royals who have dogs as pets, the only royal I've seen having a cat as a pet is princess Michael of Kent, you can find a photo of her with her siamese cat here:http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...96_468x308.jpg and she also have Burmese cats, http://www.johnstoddart.co.uk/files/...haelLT-319.jpg . Are there any other royals that have cats as pets?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

I know that the Romanov family loved having pets
Grand duchess Olga nikolaievna had a cat named vaska, Czarevich aleksey had a king Charles spaniel named joy, grand duchess Tatiana had a dog named ortino, and I believe grand duchess Anastasia had a dog as well and that the czarevich's dog in 1918 went to go live at the court of king George v.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes, the "last Romanovs" had cats. Queen Alexandra also loved all sorts of animals and owned a few cats. In one bio I read that the current members of the BRF, apart from Princess Michael, don't like cats, but I don't know if that's true. At least I cannot imagine that really noone in this big family likes cats.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

I would like to add to my comment on the Romanov pets, that I remember grand duchess Anastasia nikolaievna having a dog named Jimmy and I think it was this dog that acompanied the family to Ekaterinburg.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Nobility

Royal cats

In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Prince Rainier did not like cats. He had plenty of dogs though.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
In my opinion, all cats are treated like royalty regardless of who owns them! That is definitely the case with our cat!
Do we really own cats??? I don’t think so. I think they own us. I think they think they are the royals and we are their humble servants. And that is for me one of the reasons why I like them as much as I do.

In the book of Olivier Polet about the “Serres van Laken” there is a beautiful picture of a beautiful red cat.
And in the text they tell us that nobody knew where the cat came from. It just suddenly appeared. And it was there at all the receptions etc; it was probably the most petted cat by all royals and dignitaries

I like to be that cat for a while
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Prince Rainier did not like cats. He had plenty of dogs though.
His sister HSH Princess Antoinette of Monaco did,infact she loved all animals I believe and attended the annual St Francis Day pet blessing service in Monaco each year.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

How right you are !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Aiko in Japan has a beloved cat !
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Courtier

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just imagine my cat, Gus (who has great social skills, a muscular physique and a too-great need to "play") meeting the Corgies. OMG. Gus means well but he tends to greet other animals with a nose sniff followed by a full body take down - which he means very playfully as "Hi, I really like you!"

LOL. One on one - Gus would win but two on one - the Corgis would be king!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Seems like most royals prefer dogs over cats. Dog are loyal to their masters and cats do their own thing. Royals like a pet that are loyal to them and who obeys them and gives them attention. Cats aren't really know for obeying their owners.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Yes indeed. Our cat doesn't live with us; we live with him! Also he owns us, not the other way around.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Dogs think they're human. Cats KNOW they're gods.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone ever posted this from the HMS Vanguard when Elizabeth was 21: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/lif...s/your-life/#5

Nice kitty!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Serene Highness

Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Admirer, when I clicked on that, all I got was a listing of links on their site. Any other way for me and the others to see this picture?
Try this - it will be the 4th picture. There is also a lovely top view of HM. Not to mention that the cat is spectacular!
Revealed: The unseen pictures of the Queen as a 21-year-old princess - Your Life - Lifestyle - Coventry Telegraph
Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Serene Highness

That one worked!! Thanks!!

Wow...What an treasure trove to inherit. I'm glad they decided to share these w/the rest of us. :)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

The female dog of Crown Princely couple of Norway, Milky Kakao, had nine puppies on 15 June:

Milly Kakao, le labradoodle de la famille du prince Haakon de Norvège, a eu 9 chiots le 15 juin 2013...