Future Royal Baby Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Victoria and Daniel will choose traditional names...and there are many.

Wills and Kate? Who knows. If they stick to their desired modernity, we're liable to see Princess Andromeda and/or Prince Dweezel.

:ROFLMAO: Love it, though I hope for the sake of the children, those name will not be chosen. I can't imagine walking around with either one of those names.

More guesses! If William and Catherine have a girl first, I have a feeling Victoria will be in there somewhere.

Victoria Frances Carole Elizabeth

I'm still sticking to Edward for a firstborn boy. Others...

David Henry Theo Alastair
Albert Michael Charles Louis
Christopher Anthony Fergus James

Margaret Aileen Mary Catherine
Amelia Caroline Alexandra Rose
Charlotte Helena Alice Jane

I agree that I reckon the first born will have a traditional name, though perhaps it will not necessarily be their first name. They could have a "modern" name as their first name, and have Arthur/George/Edward etc. in the name somewhere for them to use when they become King. I like the addition of Theo but I doubt that will be included as it isn't loaded with Royal history, which is a bummer because it's such a funky name. Edward's son has it as one of his middle name's so I guess it IS a Royal name, of sorts and one of Prince Philip's sisters was called Theodora....

I like the idea of Charlotte as a first name for the daugther, as it is a Royal name and has not been used for a long time. I am shocked Edward and Sophie did not choose Charlotte for their daugther. Louise is obviously a Royal name, but it's been used a lot. Charlotte is less common. I like to see Sophie or Rose used too as Sophie is a Royal name on both sides as Prince Philip's sister was called Sophie, and on the Queen's side there are plenty of Sophie's. Rose is a lovely name and would be a nice tribute to Princess Margaret.

I imagine Victoria and Daniel will choose a modern name as their family do not appear to be as ruled by tradition as the British royal family. I look forward to a Prince Oscar! :)

I remember that Prince Charles wanted Victoria in case he had a daughter and wouldn't let Andrew and Sarah use it. So Victoria would certainly have his vote but I'm not sure it would with William and Katherine.

I've always wondered what Charles and Diana would have named their daughter if they had had one.

in a few hours we will know the little princess name

HRH princess Estelle Silvia Eva Mary of swede, duchess of västergötland

Last edited:
Well I dont know that William and Catherine would name their son but they themselves have mentioned that if they had a girl she would be HRH princess Diana :)

I highly doubt that. I'm pretty sure that Diana would be in her name, but it wouldn't be her first name.

I actually think they will include Frances and not Diana since Diana carried her mother's name as her own middle name. I'm thinking "name Elizabeth Frances name" or Elizabeth Frances

in a few hours we will know the little princess name

HRH princess Estelle Silvia Eva Mary of swede, duchess of [-]västergötland[/-]
You mean duchess of Östergötland, her parents are the duchess and duke of Västergötland.

I think Frances is such a horrible name for a girl and I hope Kate and William do not use it. I also love the name Vincent, and Josephine is a unique royal name that is not used too often.

XeniaCasaraghi said:
I think Frances is such a horrible name for a girl and I hope Kate and William do not use it. I also love the name Vincent, and Josephine is a unique royal name that is not used too often.

I agree and I Also remember hearing somewhere that if their first child was a girl then they would name her Diana. I would love that and Diana is a beautiful name.

William & Kate's children

Charlotte Helena Mary Diana
Alice Catherine Victoria Rose
Victoria Elizabeth Sarah Louise
Alexandra Diana Sophie Margaret
Mary Sophie Diana Anne
Alexandrina Cecile Maud Jane

David James Charles Albert
Phillip Edward Arthur George
Andrew Frederick Michael Peter
Henry Richard Charles Anthony
George William Arthur Henry

I semi-hope that if William and Kate's first child is a girl, they'll name her Mary. Victoria and Elizabeth are beautiful names indeed, but a Queen Mary III (right?) sounds great. I fear though, that they'll choose either George or Victoria for their firstborn.

I'm hoping the first child is a girl as well, but my preferred names are Victoria or Margaret; Victoria II or Margaret II would have been really nice.
Mary III wouldn't be bad either though.

Margaret II sound really nice too, it would also be a sweet homage to Princess Margaret.

Last edited:
But there were not a Queen of Great Britain named Margaret!

For Guillaume and Stephanie:

Princess Marie Alix Teresa Wilhelmina Charlotte
Princess Charlotte Maria Beatrix Louise Isabelle
Princess Antonia Rosalie Marie Adelaide Gabrielle

Prince Jean Marie Philippe Guillaume Henri
Prince Antoine Marie Felix Léopold Julien
Prince Benoît Jaques Marie Christian Gustave

But there were not a Queen of Great Britain named Margaret!
There was - not in Britain or England, but in Scotland.
According to tradition, since the Act of Union 1707, the British Monarch gets the highest regnal numeral available from either England, or Scotland. For that reason the current Queen is Elizabeth II, despite the fact that Scotland never had a Queen Elizabeth I.
Similarly, since there has been Queen Margaret I in Scotland - Margaret, Maid of Norway who succeeded her grandfather Alexander III on the Scottish Throne, despite never being crowned on indeed setting foot in Scotland (at least, alive) - the next Queen Regnant of the United Kingdom named Margaret will be Margaret II, not I.

Last edited:
i hope 2 see more Victoria or even a victor
has there ever been a royal named that

Hasn't Queen Victoria stated that there should never be another Queen Victoria after her ?? So a Queen Victoria II is highly unlikely when it comes to giving the name to Wills' and Kate's firstborn daughter, even more so should their future daughter (as firstborn child) become a reigning Queen.

Hasn't Queen Victoria stated that there should never be another Queen Victoria after her ?? So a Queen Victoria II is highly unlikely when it comes to giving the name to Wills' and Kate's firstborn daughter, even more so should their future daughter (as firstborn child) become a reigning Queen.
It's one of the urban legends, but I doubt it. In fact, I've heard Prince Charles had reserved "Victoria" as a name for his first-born daughter who could well become King if he didn't have sons.

I actually think if William and Kate's first-born is a girl, Victoria is one of the most likely names. A first-born daughter will be Queen one day, so it is almost certain she will be given a name born by one of the previous Queens Regnant of the British isles - Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary, Anne, Margaret, possibly Mathilde and Jane. Cartimandua, Boudica, Seaxbur, Aethelflæd, and Aelfwyn can probably be safely excluded from any list of potential names for a Princess.

Last edited:
Artemesia, I was reading this older thread and saw your humorous list of baby princess names which are too archaic for anyone to use, if Wills and Catherine have a girl. My aunt was actually named Ethelwyn, very Saxon! She was a descendant of Fulbert the Saxon in medieval times (as am I, of course).
If a baby girl needs to be named after a previous Queen--maybe that's not necessary, though-- I might like to see Margaret, after the medieval Queen of Scotland. Or Alice, after many royal ladies. I think Elizabeth is overworked, and we will have Elizabeth of Belgium already in that generation. No baby in sight with the Cambridges, however.

I am perhaps more intrigued as to what Stephanie of Luxembourg will name her children. I wonder if she will chose a Flemish name from her family. Interesting names just in the present generation--Amaury, Jehan, Gaelle--and Nathalie is not exclusively Flemish but it's the pretty name of Stephanie's other sister. If her first child is a girl she may think the name should be from previous GD's, such as Jeanne after GD Jean. Not Charlotte, I hope, as that name is also very plentiful these days. Perhaps Theresa after Maria Teresa. Or Henri plus something else, like Jean-Henri. Names are fun. The Lux's already have a uniquely named Prince Noah. I like the idea of branching out with names like that, even other Old Testament names.

Last edited:
William and Catherine:

Boy: George Albert Charles Michael
Girl: Mary Elizabeth Diana Carole

If Victoria and Daniel have another child:

Boy: Carl Gustav Philip Olle
Girl: Ingrid Amelie Alice Margaret

Guillaume and Stephanie:

Boy: Jean Henri Guillaume Marie
Girl : Josephine Marie Alix Teresa

Last edited:
I am perhaps more intrigued as to what Stephanie of Luxembourg will name her children. I wonder if she will chose a Flemish name from her family. Interesting names just in the present generation--Amaury, Jehan, Gaelle, and Nathalie is not exclusively Flemish but it's the pretty name of Stephanie's other sister.
Stéphanie is not Flemish (Dutch-speaking) Belgian, she is a Walloonian Belgian, from the Walloonian province of Hainault and French is her maternal language and she as well as her siblings have French-sounding names.

IloveCP, I think you are right that the Lux HGDs might choose Josephine, after Josephine-Charlotte, but there is already Princess Josephine of Denmark. Guess that does not really matter. And yes, Jean Henri is likely for a boy.
George is too much of a hereditary overload for a British prince. Absolutely weighing down the poor child. But possibly weight is desired.

Meraude, thanks for that further info on Stephanie being a Walloonian Belgian. I was not familiar with her family names as being French--Gaelle, would but I would not have placed Jehan or Amaury as typically French. "Jean" rather than "Jehan" sounds French. But then I have not heard "Jehan" before.

was not familiar with her family names as being French--Gaelle, would but I would not have placed Jehan or Amaury as typically French.
Gaëlle is a Breton/Celtic name, probably a variant of Gwen- in Welsh, meaning white (from Brittany, France), Jehan is the Occitan form of Jean (Occitan - the south of France) and Amaury is the French variant of a Gothic name, Amalareiks, Almaric in English.

Last edited:
Thanks for the name-roots, Meraude. Looks like the de Lannoys took names from various sources. Just as we do in America.

Back
Top Bottom