Future Royal Baby Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
principessa said:
for William and Catherine
Girl: Charlotte Diana Elizabeth Carole
Boy: Richard Charles Michael Philip

for Albert and Charlene:
Girl: Patricia Lynette Marie
Boy: Rainier Michel Antoine

Loving these names- very pretty.

Originally Posted by lallyvee
William and Cate's first son will have Arthur in his name.

I don't think they will choose Arthur for a name.

George VI, Charles and William all have Arthur as one of their names. I would bet the farm on Will and Cate's son having the name also.

George VI, Charles and William all have Arthur as one of their names. I would bet the farm on Will and Cate's son having the name also.

If William and Kate have more than one son, yes I could see it happening. In the cases above I think it was just coincidence. Charles is said to have wanted to use Arthur for his first son, but Diana selected William. My guess is they would use names that have more meaning to them, especially if they only use two middle names, such as Philip, Charles, Henry, Michael, or James. Since there is nobody in the immediate family with the name Arthur (expect Arthur Chatto), I just don't see it happening for the FIRST son, I do agree it would be a good possibility if they have more than one son though.

As long as they do not name their son John I am happy! It is a name connected to the last and epeleptic child of George V and Queen Mary. I would love to see another King George or Edward in my lifetime and have it be their son!!

If they have a girl I would hope that Diana would be one of the four names but not the first! I am very superstitious and I also think there will only be one Diana in people's hearts even decades down the line.

I doubt they would choose Edward for a first name being that there is already a Prince Edward. I think Diana could be the second name for a daughter but not a first. I remember that Prince Charles wanted Victoria in case he had a daughter and wouldn't let Andrew and Sarah use it. So Victoria would certainly have his vote but I'm not sure it would with William and Katherine. I do love Charlotte and Elizabeth would be a tribute to the Queen. I would love them to have girls only so after two kings we would have a Queen! What about Phillip for a boy or George would be good too. Or they may go modern and choose something new.

I doubt they will go for John.The british royals think that name is a curse.

I think that William and Kate will have 3 children, 2 daughters and 1 son. The succession line will be changed so that their first-born, a girl, will be the heir.

Elizabeth Catherine Sophie Diana
Victoria Charlotte Mary Alexandra
Edward William Arthur Philip

Victoria and Daniel: (I think they will have 3 daughters and 1 son)

Sofia Eleonora Ingrid Victoria
Lovisa Josephine Elisabeth Silvia
Anna Alice Madeleine Desirée

Oscar Carl Daniel Gustaf

I remember that Prince Charles wanted Victoria in case he had a daughter and wouldn't let Andrew and Sarah use it.

Seeing as Beatrice wasn't born until 1988 and Eugenie in 1990, did Charles actually think he and Diana would have another child at that point?

A random question, but does Queen Elizabeth have to see the names chosen for Royal family members before they settle on the names? Does she have to agree with them?

The answer is yes (sort of). She probably has to give an "okay" to those who have the potential to one day reign. For the others I would say no, as I don't see her being the type to approve the names of Zara and Savannah Phillips.

A random question, but does Queen Elizabeth have to see the names chosen for Royal family members before they settle on the names? Does she have to agree with them?

Good question. I assume it's more about common royal sense:p
Specially in William's position the names have to be more traditional than the others so HM would trust his and Catherine's decision.

On another note, I was watching the christening of the Danish twins and love that they included one Greenlandic name for the girl (Ivalo) and the boy (Minik). So, How about William and Catherine choosing one welsh name among the 3 or 4 that they will probably use?! It would be nice since he is know as William Wales and also because they are spending the first years of married life in Anglesey.
Anyways, I think it could be a nice gesture and 'spice' it up a little their selection ;D!

Behind the Name: Welsh Names

CATRIN - Welsh form of KATHERINE

Last edited:
I will chuck a wobbly if William and Catherine pick Diana for a girl, I will seriously be like this :argh: :nonono: :bang: :mad: That said, I don't think they are going to. I remember William saying "Noone is filling my Mother's shoes" and that gives me hope. It would be too much of a legacy to straddle the poor girl with. I love Mary and Victoria, but confusion is a potential snag with them given that Denmark already has a Mary, and Sweden already has a Victoria. I'm probably just being anal there. Charles did want Victoria saved for a girl, and Crown Princess Victoria had already been born at that point. As for other girl names, they're long shots (respectable as they are) but I like Lucy, Evangeline, and Xanthe :whistling:

Moving on to boy names, I like Aaron, Jack, and Xavier, but they're also long shots, albeit respectable ones. My guesses would be Arthur and/or George ;)

On the issue of whether The Queen has to give her consent, I don't think she has any say in the matter, not when Princess Alexandra's Grandaughters could be called Zenouska and Flora :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will chuck a wobbly if William and Catherine pick Diana for a girl, I will seriously be like this :argh: :nonono: :bang: :mad: That said, I don't think they are going to. I remember William saying "Noone is filling my Mother's shoes" and that gives me hope. It would be too much of a legacy to straddle the poor girl with. I love Mary and Victoria, but confusion is a potential snag with them given that Denmark already has a Mary, and Sweden already has a Victoria. I'm probably just being anal there. Charles did want Victoria saved for a girl, and Crown Princess Victoria had already been born at that point. As for other girl names, they're long shots (respectable as they are) but I like Lucy, Evangeline, and Xanthe :whistling:

Moving on to boy names, I like Aaron, Jack, and Xavier, but they're also long shots, albeit respectable ones. My guesses would be Arthur and/or George ;)

On the issue of whether The Queen has to give her consent, I don't think she has any say in the matter, not when Princess Alexandra's Grandaughters could be called Zenouska and Flora :rolleyes:

Do you mean you would be surprised if they choose Diana as a first name? or at all?
I doubt they will use it as a first name, but see no problem if William decides to use it as one of the 4 names. Actually it's a very sweet gesture, IMO.

Mia_mae said:
Good question. I assume it's more about common royal sense:p
Specially in William's position the names have to be more traditional than the others so HM would trust his and Catherine's decision.

On another note, I was watching the christening of the Danish twins and love that they included one Greenlandic name for the girl (Ivalo) and the boy (Minik). So, How about William and Catherine choosing one welsh name among the 3 or 4 that they will probably use?! It would be nice since he is know as William Wales and also because they are spending the first years of married life in Anglesey.
Anyways, I think it could be a nice gesture and 'spice' it up a little their selection ;D!

Behind the Name: Welsh Names

CATRIN - Welsh form of KATHERINE

Thanx for the list of Welsh names. Of course, some are just not very cool - think 'Winnifred!' For a girl, the Welsh moniker 'Gwyneth' is very pretty, and for a boy, I like 'Vaughn.' It is time to began an old 'tradition of new names. Most 'royal' names are very out of character with today's new generation of royals. Some names have also been very used too much - how many Princess Alexandra's can you think of, and in Denmark, the 'Christian' and 'Frederik' tradition - give it a rest!

Duchess of Darwin said:

IDK for sure, but I do believe 'Zenouska' is a Polish and/or Hungarian, whichever is the nationality of her father.

Mia mae - I was talking purely about first names, which I guess I should've made clear. I could live with Diana as a second/thrid/fourth name. I would only start going :shock: if it was used as a first name.

NotHRH - Zenouska is meant to sound Russian, but I googled "Zenouska, Baby Name" and I couldn't find anything in terms of it's meaning. By the way, I agree with you about more variety being needed (within reason) I know how I said that I liked Mary, Victoria, and George, but these are purely the realistic choices I like best.

Last edited:
What is it with the Frederick/Christian thing? Why only those two names? It must be confusing at family functions. William and Catherine may go more modern with names after they have the actual heir. Prince Charles chose Zara's name he had read it and mentioned it to Anne who loved it. Maybe he has others up his sleave?

'Arthur' is simply a very old-fashioned, dreadful moniker to give a child these days. How many children are named 'Arthur' these days - or how many boys in kindergarten have that particular name?
It would although complement HRH the Earl of Wessex's daughter, HRH Lady Louise Windsor.

NotHRH said:
'Arthur' is simply a very old-fashioned, dreadful moniker to give a child these days. How many children are named 'Arthur' these days - or how many boys in kindergarten have that particular name?
It would although complement HRH the Earl of Wessex's daughter, HRH Lady Louise Windsor. Very few baby girls are named such any more. She is a very beautiful little girl indeed!

Why does HRH the Lady Louise Windsor have the last name 'Windsor,' instead of 'Mountbatten- Windsor?'

What is it with the Frederick/Christian thing? Why only those two names? It must be confusing at family functions. William and Catherine may go more modern with names after they have the actual heir. Prince Charles chose Zara's name he had read it and mentioned it to Anne who loved it. Maybe he has others up his sleave?

It is a Danish tradition that the Kings names alternate Frederik-Christian. There is currently only one Frederik and one Christian in the immediate Danish Royal Family - the heir, and the heir's heir (both future Kings). There is a Count Christian of Rosenborg, though, the Queen's first cousin. So not much confusion there.

Each of the Danish princes born in recent times have had either Frederik or Christian as one of the names, except for Prince Joachim's youngest son, Henrik. Just in case they become King unexpectedly, they can carry on the naming tradition.

For William and Kate, the pressure will be on to choose very regal names for any and all children- unlike in the past, where a Prince could go by one name at home and reign under another, the press these days is entirely too invasive for that to ever work. I'm predicting that there will be little to no creativity; I feel as though our "commoner" Duchess will want to ruffle as few feathers as possible. Also, I'm surprised at the number of people who include Diana in a future British Princess' name, but not Carole (as in Middleton).

Not a prediction, but just my preference:

HRH Princess Mary Victoria Elizabeth Diana
- I'd love for there to be another Queen Mary!

HRH Princess Alexandra Catherine Carole Anne
- I am convinced that royals will never stop naming their daughters Alexandra, and the Cambridges are no exception.

Good Gracious! I just found out that Edward VIII was born with like 50 names. WTH, that has to be in the record books or something.

:previous:

Edward VIII had seven given names - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.

He is however beaten by Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark. She had ten given names - Caroline-Mathilde Louise Dagmar Christine Maud Augusta Ingeborg Thyra Adelheid - as does her son, Count Ingolf of Rosenborg. I would also not find it surprising if many of the various German royals of the same time period had seven/eight+ given names.

I feel very let down by my one given name...:whistling:;)

See these royals are just going crazy with the names. Birth certificate has some writing on the back with the continuing of the names.

Edward VIII had seven given names - Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.

He is however beaten by Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark. She had ten given names - Caroline-Mathilde Louise Dagmar Christine Maud Augusta Ingeborg Thyra Adelheid - as does her son, Count Ingolf of Rosenborg. I would also not find it surprising if many of the various German royals of the same time period had seven/eight+ given names.

There are records of royals with more than ten names, even twenty-two for an infant of Portugal. The last portuguese royal family was used to give many given names to children.

William and Kate's baby could be named

Alexandra Elizabeth or Caroline Elizabeth...i'm not sure if there will be Diana in it...i don't think so

or Edward Philip Michael David

Yes, the German royals used to go crazy with their given names, but I think that Price Sixto of Bourbon-Parma with his 23 given names might be the record holder.

What is the reason behind the idea to give so many names?

Back
Top Bottom