The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Hasn't Queen Victoria stated that there should never be another Queen Victoria after her ?? So a Queen Victoria II is highly unlikely when it comes to giving the name to Wills' and Kate's firstborn daughter, even more so should their future daughter (as firstborn child) become a reigning Queen.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Hasn't Queen Victoria stated that there should never be another Queen Victoria after her ?? So a Queen Victoria II is highly unlikely when it comes to giving the name to Wills' and Kate's firstborn daughter, even more so should their future daughter (as firstborn child) become a reigning Queen.
It's one of the urban legends, but I doubt it. In fact, I've heard Prince Charles had reserved "Victoria" as a name for his first-born daughter who could well become King if he didn't have sons.

I actually think if William and Kate's first-born is a girl, Victoria is one of the most likely names. A first-born daughter will be Queen one day, so it is almost certain she will be given a name born by one of the previous Queens Regnant of the British isles - Victoria, Elizabeth, Mary, Anne, Margaret, possibly Mathilde and Jane. Cartimandua, Boudica, Seaxbur, Aethelflæd, and Aelfwyn can probably be safely excluded from any list of potential names for a Princess.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

'Queen Victoria' is some name to live up to though.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

Artemesia, I was reading this older thread and saw your humorous list of baby princess names which are too archaic for anyone to use, if Wills and Catherine have a girl. My aunt was actually named Ethelwyn, very Saxon! She was a descendant of Fulbert the Saxon in medieval times (as am I, of course).
If a baby girl needs to be named after a previous Queen--maybe that's not necessary, though-- I might like to see Margaret, after the medieval Queen of Scotland. Or Alice, after many royal ladies. I think Elizabeth is overworked, and we will have Elizabeth of Belgium already in that generation. No baby in sight with the Cambridges, however.

I am perhaps more intrigued as to what Stephanie of Luxembourg will name her children. I wonder if she will chose a Flemish name from her family. Interesting names just in the present generation--Amaury, Jehan, Gaelle--and Nathalie is not exclusively Flemish but it's the pretty name of Stephanie's other sister. If her first child is a girl she may think the name should be from previous GD's, such as Jeanne after GD Jean. Not Charlotte, I hope, as that name is also very plentiful these days. Perhaps Theresa after Maria Teresa. Or Henri plus something else, like Jean-Henri. Names are fun. The Lux's already have a uniquely named Prince Noah. I like the idea of branching out with names like that, even other Old Testament names.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

William and Catherine:

Boy: George Albert Charles Michael
Girl: Mary Elizabeth Diana Carole

If Victoria and Daniel have another child:

Boy: Carl Gustav Philip Olle
Girl: Ingrid Amelie Alice Margaret

Guillaume and Stephanie:

Boy: Jean Henri Guillaume Marie
Girl : Josephine Marie Alix Teresa
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
I am perhaps more intrigued as to what Stephanie of Luxembourg will name her children. I wonder if she will chose a Flemish name from her family. Interesting names just in the present generation--Amaury, Jehan, Gaelle, and Nathalie is not exclusively Flemish but it's the pretty name of Stephanie's other sister.
Stéphanie is not Flemish (Dutch-speaking) Belgian, she is a Walloonian Belgian, from the Walloonian province of Hainault and French is her maternal language and she as well as her siblings have French-sounding names.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

IloveCP, I think you are right that the Lux HGDs might choose Josephine, after Josephine-Charlotte, but there is already Princess Josephine of Denmark. Guess that does not really matter. And yes, Jean Henri is likely for a boy.
George is too much of a hereditary overload for a British prince. Absolutely weighing down the poor child. But possibly weight is desired.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

Meraude, thanks for that further info on Stephanie being a Walloonian Belgian. I was not familiar with her family names as being French--Gaelle, would but I would not have placed Jehan or Amaury as typically French. "Jean" rather than "Jehan" sounds French. But then I have not heard "Jehan" before.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
was not familiar with her family names as being French--Gaelle, would but I would not have placed Jehan or Amaury as typically French.
Gaëlle is a Breton/Celtic name, probably a variant of Gwen- in Welsh, meaning white (from Brittany, France), Jehan is the Occitan form of Jean (Occitan - the south of France) and Amaury is the French variant of a Gothic name, Amalareiks, Almaric in English.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the name-roots, Meraude. Looks like the de Lannoys took names from various sources. Just as we do in America.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Royal Highness

as for the "new" couples.

William & Catherine:
Boy - i would not mind at all having an Arthur or Richard, how cool is that, King Arthur and King Richard, as well as they're history.
Girl - if its first-born, till be likely Mary, Victoria, Elizabeth, Anne, Mathilde (was a Queen of Scotland or Irland if i remenber well)...but i doubt Jane, it was only for one Queen under special circumstances, the name doesnt have any other historical source or meaning.

Charlene & Albert:
Boy - Rainier, Louis, Florestan, ...
Girl - maybe Charlotte if its first-born, i know Charlotte Casiraghi was named after her great-grandmother, but if Charlene likes it why not? then we have Marie, Juliette, Gabrielle, ...

Stephanie & Guillaume:
Boy - Jean, Guillaume (after father), Henri, William...
Girl - Josephine, Charlotte (if its first-born its highly possible, after great-grandmother Josephine-Charlotte and/or after great-great-grandmother Grand Duchess Charlotte), Marie, Clemence, Gabrielle, Adelaide, Anita (why not?), Alix... (or some Portuguese name after some ancestor, since Grand Duchess Charlotte mother was a Portuguese Infanta as her grandfather was the King of Portugal)

Victoria & Daniel:
Boy - Johan, Carl, Oscar, Adolf, ...(maybe some other name to surprise us again)
Girl - after Estelle, i dont know what to expect anymore...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Courtier

Guillaume and William is the same name
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Hasn't Queen Victoria stated that there should never be another Queen Victoria after her ?? .
It's not really like she's going to know about it, really though?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Victoria & Daniel:
Girl - after Estelle, i dont know what to expect anymore...
I agree with you here
I'm still hoping for a little Lovisa or Lilian... If they even have another girl.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I semi-hope that if William and Kate's first child is a girl, they'll name her Mary. Victoria and Elizabeth are beautiful names indeed, but a Queen Mary III (right?) sounds great. I fear though, that they'll choose either George or Victoria for their firstborn.
I agree with you. Mary III sounds perfect. Here is what I think William and Kate might call their first born (keeping the Mary bit):

Mary Elizabeth Diana Louise Victoria

If they have a boy, I think they might call it:

Charles William George Philip Albert- it'll be nice to have a King Charles- we haven't had one for a while...

Interestingly, John is said to be an unlucky name in the BRF so I don't think they'll choose that name for their first born.

I'm hoping that they'll call their children something like Augusta, Sophia or Charlotte, but I don't think they will . I love those beautiful old names.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Courtier

William and Kate:
boy - Charles, Richard or Alexander
girl - Alexandra (after The Queen) or Charlotte (after The Prince of Wales)
I like Philip or Philipa (after The Duke of Edinburgh), but it's bad option (Philip of Spain and Pippa)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

William and Kate:

Boy: William Michael Charles Phillip

Girl: Elizabeth Catherine Diana

Personally I like the name Stephen for a son, but I think they'll stick to tradition.
(Although there was a King Stephen, but he was not a popular monarch and most were glad to get rid of him).
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Charles William George Philip Albert- it'll be nice to have a King Charles- we haven't had one for a while...
The next king is Charles. So there will be one relatively soon.

My bet is on Elizabeth for a girl for the Will and Kate. You honor the current queen, plus it's Kate middle name. There is no other young elizabeth and there will be a lengthly bit off time from QEII to QEIII.

Boy Cambridge: Phillip Peter Michael Charles. Both granddad's and paternal great granfathers. Plus honoring Phillip.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
There is no other young elizabeth and there will be a lengthly bit off time from QEII to QEIII.
there is the Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, who will one day be Queen Elisabeth.

i think William and Catherine will choose a historical name, and if they have a first-born girl, then we have only a few options. i love them all though, but Mary is still my favourite, we dont have a little Mary (only the Danish crown princess), plus Mary III is very regal!
but we never know, they might put a Victoria&Daniel (as we thought they were traditional but we've got a complete diferent thing: Estelle)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

I'm hoping that they'll call their children something like Augusta, Sophia or Charlotte, but I don't think they will . I love those beautiful old names.
Oh, I hope not to see an Augusta or a Mathilde (Matilda). Those names are just plain hideous. I do however, love the the idea of a Sophia or a Charlotte. I think it would be also nice to see a Grace and some version of Elizabeth.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.