The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

The Queen should never have let Edward take James; not like his son will ascend the throne, and he could have picked anything.
Prnce William could still call his child James. There are two current Prince Edward's (Duke of Kent and Earl of Wessex) in the Royal family, neither of which will ever be Monarch, so why not have two James'. William could also give the middle name of James to his son and then he could use this middle name when he ascends to the throne, like David and Bertie did (King Edward VIII and King George VI respectively.)

I personally think a new name should be used for their son. It gets a bit boring having the same names used. I like the sound of King Alexander...

Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But I don't think the RF goes back to the time before William the Conqueror when choosing names. (snip)
So you're telling me there is no chance he'll be named Ethelred?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Im still hoping for a Stephan. And James is definitely better than the boring stuff that is currently used: Charles, Philip, Henry etc. Only good one in the bunch is Andrew.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Im still hoping for a Stephan. And James is definitely better than the boring stuff that is currently used: Charles, Philip, Henry etc. Only good one in the bunch is Andrew.
I'm with you!

Except for Andrew, which isn't a traditional kingly name; Prince Andrew was named for his paternal grandfather, Prince Andrew of Greece.

But I really like King Stephen.

I think James would be best, because it is a kingly name for both- England and Scotland! (Whatever happens, I hope they don't go with George again! I hate that).
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

I don't have a problem with Arthur or George, but Alexander would be a perfect selection.
Actually I'm thinking Alexandra is even better. After 2 boys, I'd prefer if a girl came next

I also think Henry it's great (and much better than Harry), so they could named and call the baby that.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
I don't have a problem with Arthur or George, but Alexander would be a perfect selection.
But what happens if Scotland goes it's own way, as is rumored might happen?
Then the poor baby would be stuck with a Scottish kingly name for a country he wouldn't even reign over.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Serene Highness

Isn´t King Stephen a hungarian king?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Isn´t King Stephen a hungarian king?
Yes, but between Henry I and Henry II, England had a King Stephen. He was a disaster
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

There was a King Stephen in England, but his right to the throne was disputed by his cousin Matilda, the only surviving legitimate child of Henry I, who named her as his heir. Too many people were not ready for a female monarch, and they threw their support to Stephen, Henry's nephew. The result was a messy civil war, eventually resolved by Stephen's naming Matilda's son his heir. The son became Henry II.

So, the name Stephen has some negative associations in the history of the UK monarchy, but then, so do some other royal names currently in use.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I'd go with Geoffrey and Eleanor - royal names but not used lately.

Larry
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel:
Boy:
Oscar Bertil Gustaf Olof
Gustaf Bertil Oscar Daniel
Carl-Olof Bertil Gustaf
Girl:
Ulrika Silvia Lilian Desirée
Desirée Silvia Christina Lilian
Christina Lilian Ewa Victoria
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I should really stop getting my hopes up for a Stephan or an Alexander; this is a couple with the names William and Catherine, so I doubt they will try to push any envelopes no matter how little it needs to be pushed. I think Kate's parents should help with the baby name choices, because they did good with there's and all of them are named after Kings and Queens of England.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I should really stop getting my hopes up for a Stephan or an Alexander; this is a couple with the names William and Catherine, so I doubt they will try to push any envelopes no matter how little it needs to be pushed. I think Kate's parents should help with the baby name choices, because they did good with there's and all of them are named after Kings and Queens of England.
Now that you mention Catherine's siblings, I remembered her brother is called James, so I doubt they'd actually give their child the Christian name of James, but I definitely think it would be a middle name. I like the name Phillipa, and I like that they shortened it to Pippa. Very pretty name. I am with you on the King Alexander idea though. Sounds very Regal. (Really i'd love Edward's little boy to become King just so he could be King Theo I, for the sheer amusement of it, but it is obviously never going to happen.)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I like the name Phillipa, and I like that they shortened it to Pippa. Very pretty name.
I like the name Philippa, but defenitive not the diminutive Pippa, as it's considered a four-letter word in Swedish. If she ever visits Sweden I hope for her own sake that she will call herself Philippa.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
I like the name Philippa, but defenitive not the diminutive Pippa, as it's considered a four-letter word in Swedish. If she ever visits Sweden I hope for her own sake that she will call herself Philippa.
Same in Russian. When I heard that diminutive for the first time, I wondered if I heard wrong. Of course when I saw it in writing, I understood that I indeed had no hearing issues. I'm not crazy about the full name at all. It sounds too matronly to me.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't like the name Philippa either, but I still applaud her parents for at least being different.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like Philippa; it sounds distinguished.

But I agree that William and Kate are apt to stick with the traditional.

I expect they'll use both Michael and Charles for middle names, though.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

If Will and Kate have a girl I would love to see her have the name of,Mary Elizabeth Anne Victoria,after all the female monarchs of England.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd also love them to give their daughter the christian name Victoria, particularly if she is the eldest child/heir apparent, as we would then have another Queen Victoria.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Serene Highness

I know the William and Kate's first child will one day be king/queen but I really wish they would infuse the House of Windsor with some new names, or at least find old name that havent been used for a while, I am really tired of all the same names among the English Royals. I just hope they pick better names then Fred and Mary, I am sorry, but I still dont like Josefine or Vincent.